Author Topic: No Man’s Sky [PS4 & PC]  (Read 35810 times)

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: No Man’s Sky [PS4 & PC]
« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2016, 06:48:07 am »
two people have already managed to get to the same planet, they couldn't see each other, kotaku had an article on it

You'd have to be stood next to each other. And even then it wouldn't show the username etc

I'll have a read of the article.

Edit: Read, shame but I was highly skeptical for a while of this game, not this aspect in particular but this game is general. It was announced a while ago yet never fully explained what it is that you did exactly in it. Now appears to be a very basic space flight sim with some planet exploring.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 06:59:07 am by Upinsmoke »

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2016, 08:02:32 am »
Its always been described as a single player exploration, survival game with trading, combat and mining thrown in. Not sure what else was expected?

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2016, 08:33:34 am »
Its always been described as a single player exploration, survival game with trading, combat and mining thrown in. Not sure what else was expected?

Always? For about a year nobody knew what it was except a ship which flew to different planets and the scope was massive and the graphics and art looked superb that's it.

Personally I only recently found out about the exploration and trading.

I don't think they've done a great job of describing what it was from day one and Sean Murray has been extremely vague about almost every aspect of the game when asked.

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2016, 08:50:30 am »
We've only just heard about battlefield one and thats out later this year, we know its a shooter but we won't know the ins and outs of it till before its release or just after. They wouldn't be expected to release all the games info since its development started 3 years ago, no game does? I've been following this game for years, the information on what to do has been out there, more so in the last 6 months with extra videos on the trading, combat and survival. They want people to find this stuff out for themselves as part of the exploration. Whether thats a marketing ploy to avoid telling people is another thing! But the information has been there on the basics of what you can do
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 08:54:24 am by WillG.LFC »

Offline Bunter

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #124 on: August 10, 2016, 08:53:35 am »
More I read about this game, the more disappointing it sounds. Seems the devolopers have been a wee bit economical with the truth about NMS' capabilities and possibilities. If it's just a basic single player exploration sim then it'll get old fast, even with the 'procedural generation' people are complaining that it's a bit samey and the variation of planets seem limited. The "quintillion" planets is just a selling point to hook you in, I'd rather a game with a million planets but with depth rather than it being light years wide and an inch deep.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 09:30:15 am by Bunter »

Offline Tomaldinho

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • camina, camina, con esperanza de tu corazon
« Reply #125 on: August 10, 2016, 09:28:59 am »
Surely the first thing you would do is check people could see each other? But they "didn't expect" people to find each other so soon. I know they're not a big company who can't afford to hire a team of market analysts or whatever but surely they knew this would be a popular game.
@TomNJones on Twitter

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: August 10, 2016, 09:46:00 am »
Depends if this is intended, a day one problem with the servers or a bug. I know they've had server issues yesterday. Odd if they said its possible and then its not possible

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: August 10, 2016, 11:06:34 am »
Tweets combined from sean murray:
Two players finding each other on a stream in the first day - that has blown my mind. We added a 'scan for other players' in the Galactic Map to try to encourage this happening. We wanted it to happen - but the first day? We want people to be aware they are in a shared universe. We added online features, and some Easter Eggs to create cool moments. We hope to see those happening... but too many of you are playing right now. More than we could have predicted. It is a testament to how amazing our network coders are that Discoveries are still working at all."

So it looks like it may be related to server load. Time will tell

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #128 on: August 10, 2016, 12:24:08 pm »
"Possible delay in delivery due to arrival at incorrect carrier facility "

Get it together Royal Mail ::)

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: August 10, 2016, 02:23:23 pm »
Been playing this all morning with my lad, he's loving it so far. Me, I'm an old fart so I really don't really get it.

We've left our starter planet and landed on some moon nearby, named some animals we've discovered and interacted with some strange locals.

Is it best not to attack those drone things that fly around all the time?

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #130 on: August 10, 2016, 03:29:19 pm »
Decided to name anything i find in relation to tv shows i enjoy.  First planet - PeleOfAnal (thanks Archer)

Not sure whats more childish, that or one of the first words in Gek i learnt being 'docking' :D
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: August 10, 2016, 04:14:41 pm »
How do you get a Hyper Drive?

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: August 10, 2016, 04:18:55 pm »
Load it up, first planets radioactive. Resources i need shown to be about 10 minutes away. What can go wrong? Night came and i fell into a cave :D

enjoying it so far but can understand why it won't be to everyones liking! If you don't take time to have a mooch about i can see why you would get bored doing the same thing. I get easily distracted though so often go in different directions to my initial target!

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: August 10, 2016, 04:37:07 pm »
I can't wait until later tonight until the family is in bed, I'm getting stoned, putting the headphones on and losing myself for 4 hours in this.

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: August 10, 2016, 04:42:12 pm »
First thing i did when i went into space was just hover over my previous spot on the planet. The bit that took like 10 minutes to walk was a tiny spec. Looks like i have 3 closely packed planets in my system, makes for some superb screenshots.

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #135 on: August 10, 2016, 05:54:49 pm »
So, what is this game "about"? Is it just endless hours of grind to simply get shinier stuff that doesn't really make a difference or is there a point in all of it? I don't mind crafting and grinding when there's a reason to do it. I played loads of Stardew Valley or The Division to improve on what I've got. In both cases - while not comparable to NMS in terms of the setting - I enjoyed it, because there was a reason behind it. With Stardew Valley it was to see all the things you could do and to access all possible areas. With The Division it was trying to be able to survive in the Dark Zone and not being one-shot-killed by other players. On the other hand, I didn't really enjoy the grind in Elite Dangerous as it was basically useless. Yes, you could get better gear and a new shiny ship, but I don't really feel like there was a real "reward" except being able to show off with your new ship (not that I'd do that)... What's NMS like? Is there something else to it than simply upgrading your gear for upgrading's sake and reaching the centre of the universe?

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: August 10, 2016, 06:10:36 pm »
This is the most bizarre video game I have ever seen.  I like it.

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: August 10, 2016, 07:20:49 pm »
I don't think its going to be a game with much direction for me. Just going to see what happens when im on and see the chaos in randomness. I will try and get to the centre and maybe do a bit of pirating on a busy trade route. If you play it just to mine endlessly to travel as fast as possible i think it will naturally wear thin pretty quick. Whats the rush :D

Just remembered i left a befriended dog alien i fed on my last planet of ballchin (home of the ballchinians)

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #138 on: August 10, 2016, 10:47:19 pm »
Been exploring the planet Deselect Tristram hunt tonight its over -100  so you cant stay outside for long unless you find a cave or building to enter for a while or you freeze seen no life on this planet yet.

Manage to find a better scanner that seems to show you where more things are.

Still cant get to a beacon even if I fly or walk towards one it gets no closer.

Went back into orbit and there was some frigates so attacked one I was soon blown out of the sky.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: August 10, 2016, 10:56:54 pm »
I've still been quite lucky planet wise. Nothing too unforgiving, mild radiation, heat or cold so far which means i can go for a bit of a wander. Learnt some valuable lessons on what to keep as i keep running out of take off fuel.

Main example was after getting a free new gun with extra bells and whistles i found an abandoned factory. Just needed to break down the door. Shot it and got attacked by sentinels. Legged it to my ship before i could say so long suckers i realised i had no take off fuel so was trapped. Had a quick look and dismantled some of my new guns addons to give me some plutonium but not enough. Decided to jump out, killed 2 but a 3rd was hidden underground somehow so because i couldn't kill it the stars kept increasing. When the walking sentinel appeared i decided to jump off a cliff, landed in a cave where the 3rd sentinel had been stuck :D

Added bonus the cave had plutonium crystals in! Still haven't died yet but it's definately getting tougher
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 10:59:47 pm by WillG.LFC »

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: August 10, 2016, 10:59:25 pm »
Only seen my younger brother & housemate play it but both love it. Surprised how main stream it is. Would love to play it in VR in the future when thats better.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #141 on: August 10, 2016, 11:03:50 pm »
Would buy this but not going to have much chance to play PS4 this side of Christmas :(

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #142 on: August 10, 2016, 11:03:52 pm »
I've still been quite lucky planet wise. Nothing too unforgiving, mild radiation, heat or cold so far which means i can go for a bit of a wander. Learnt some valuable lessons on what to keep as i keep running out of take off fuel.

Main example was after getting a free new gun with extra bells and whistles i found an abandoned factory. Just needed to break down the door. Shot it and got attacked by sentinels. Legged it to my ship before i could say so long suckers i realised i had no take off fuel so was trapped. Had a quick look and dismantled some of my new guns addons to give me some plutonium but not enough. Decided to jump out, killed 2 but a 3rd was hidden underground somehow so because i couldn't kill it the stars kept increasing. When the walking sentinel appeared i decided to jump off a cliff, landed in a cave where the 3rd sentinel had been stuck :D

Added bonus the cave had plutonium crystals in! Still haven't died yet but it's definately getting tougher

Ive died a few times once by a save point and when it reloads you find your grave where you died.

You are lucky with your planets all mine are freezing so far, but the -100 is the worse one.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 11:09:44 pm by Trada »

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: August 10, 2016, 11:10:50 pm »
Ah wondered what happened. Do you lose your stuff? I also landed on a tall palm tree but didn't realise till i stepped out and fell to the ground. Blew up the tree and the ship still floated mid air :D

Took a bit of work jumping back onto it from a near hill. Its those moments of randomness which make these games for me.

current planet I'm on i thought it had a glitch as i couldn't see my suit health but turns out it was the perfect planet by day. Went to minus 60 in the night though and heard a massive sounding animal noise near by when i finished playing
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 11:15:25 pm by WillG.LFC »

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #144 on: August 10, 2016, 11:28:37 pm »
Ah wondered what happened. Do you lose your stuff? I also landed on a tall palm tree but didn't realise till i stepped out and fell to the ground. Blew up the tree and the ship still floated mid air :D

Took a bit of work jumping back onto it from a near hill. Its those moments of randomness which make these games for me.

current planet I'm on i thought it had a glitch as i couldn't see my suit health but turns out it was the perfect planet by day. Went to minus 60 in the night though and heard a massive sounding animal noise near by when i finished playing

You can search your grave and get you stuff back.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #145 on: August 11, 2016, 12:19:56 am »
I couldn't get to the beacons. So I decided before I got to far into the game to delete my save game and start again.

Its like a different game now I choose the  Atlas thing as my guide and I can now go to the beacon and it sent me to a place where there is life and I got the Blueprint for the Hyper drive.

And my home planet this time is 45c with fields of what looks like poppies.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #146 on: August 11, 2016, 12:52:08 am »
Been exploring the planet Deselect Tristram hunt tonight its over -100  so you cant stay outside for long unless you find a cave or building to enter for a while or you freeze seen no life on this planet yet.

Manage to find a better scanner that seems to show you where more things are.

Still cant get to a beacon even if I fly or walk towards one it gets no closer. 

Went back into orbit and there was some frigates so attacked one I was soon blown out of the sky.

If your heading towards a marker on the same planet but the arrival time isn't going down just fly out into space, once you're high enough level off then keep O held down until the marker is below you then dive down towards it, until you get used to it you might have to release O (if you don't release there's a good chance you'll dive back down into the atmosphere)  then tilt down to check the position, don't use the pulse engines as you'll more than likely overshoot by miles

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #147 on: August 11, 2016, 01:07:34 am »
If your heading towards a marker on the same planet but the arrival time isn't going down just fly out into space, once you're high enough level off then keep O held down until the marker is below you then dive down towards it, until you get used to it you might have to release O (if you don't release there's a good chance you'll dive back down into the atmosphere)  then tilt down to check the position, don't use the pulse engines as you'll more than likely overshoot by miles

Restarting the game seems to have sorted out my problem I could just fly to the beacon on the planet with no problem.

Managed to build my Hyper drive and just warped to the next system which has 2 planets and 4 moons not landed on anything yet just went to the space station.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #148 on: August 11, 2016, 04:45:03 am »
Got a new multi tool now with 10 slots which is nice. Only just realised you can trade with any ships parked in the space station and offer to buy their space ship they are a bit costly. 

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #149 on: August 11, 2016, 05:33:20 am »
Got a new multi tool now with 10 slots which is nice. Only just realised you can trade with any ships parked in the space station and offer to buy their space ship they are a bit costly. 

That's the best way of getting a new ship, you can also find crashed ships but it's a bit like starting from scratch again as you need to repair everything, I found one that was loads better than mine but the planet it was on made life hard getting all the stuff together so decided to go back to my old ship

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: August 11, 2016, 07:25:57 am »
Heard there's a problem with the preorder ship, as it already has a hyper drive people arent finding the blue print. Then some people are naturally swapping their ships for new ones only to find those ships don't have a hyper drive, leaving them stranded until they find the hyper drive plans by luck or can afford to buy a new ship with one. Just a warning for those who pre ordered!

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #151 on: August 11, 2016, 08:51:00 am »
They are saying No Man’s Sky players discover over 10M unique in-game species overnight.

Just managed to get the Atlas stone I not sure what happens now just saved the game will check later where I have to go next.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #152 on: August 11, 2016, 09:10:10 am »
I warped into one system straight into the middle of a giant space battle going on and a big spaceship giving out a distress call, god knows what was going on only lasted about a minute. I need to upgrade my spaceship.

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: August 11, 2016, 09:25:07 am »
I warped into one system straight into the middle of a giant space battle going on and a big spaceship giving out a distress call, god knows what was going on only lasted about a minute. I need to upgrade my spaceship.
Had something similar, think it has similar events starting off as part of the starting phases. The attacking ships entered just as a boosted to a near by planet so i missed whatever happened

Online Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #154 on: August 11, 2016, 09:51:14 am »
So so jealous :(

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: August 11, 2016, 10:20:37 am »
Anyone managed to get an Atlas pass yet? So many things locked for me without one.
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #156 on: August 11, 2016, 10:40:19 am »
Anyone managed to get an Atlas pass yet? So many things locked for me without one.

Got a level one pass a little earlier but haven't made it yet, its in a place I imagine everyone will go so don't worry about missing it. that's the only one I have found so far.

I have a fork in my galactic map now and a choice to make.

Find a Rhino bunny eared armadillo bird earlier.

Wish I took a screen shot of what looked like a rubber duck with legs will never see it again.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 10:43:32 am by Trada »

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: August 11, 2016, 10:48:13 am »
Vaguely recall getting one last night. If its the same thing I'm thinking of a ship in the space station also had one to sell but at 191 percent of its normal value so i didn't bother. Wish i had now as i need 3 to open a door in the space station

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: August 11, 2016, 12:28:11 pm »
Think i may be missing something with this atlas thing. I remember at the start it told me where a deposit of an element was to fix my ship. Is there a way to use this again to find other elements? I know there are those save points with the locked terminals. Is it there that you can search for stuff to be added as a waypoint on screen?

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: August 11, 2016, 05:08:46 pm »
I'm not sure whether to get this or not, two guys in work have it, one says it's great the other said it got really boring really quickly, I have Elite Dangerous for X1 already, and it just overwhelms me to be honest, as good as it is, the learning curve is so steep, if No Mans Sky was a more accessible version of Elite, then I think I'd like it, as it is, it really seems to have polarised gamers.