Author Topic: Space exploration thread - Unexpected Rapid Disassembly in the launch area.  (Read 313965 times)

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
Re: Space exploration thread
« Reply #2360 on: May 31, 2020, 03:33:07 pm »
And docking complete.

Online IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #2361 on: May 31, 2020, 03:35:56 pm »
And docking complete.
Can anyone else hear that nose breather constantly?  :no

Great achievement. Now get men to Mars, Musky!

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2362 on: May 31, 2020, 03:40:28 pm »
Travelling thousands of miles an hour in seconds

You're going to have to run that by me again  :D
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2363 on: May 31, 2020, 03:41:09 pm »
Can anyone else hear that nose breather constantly?  :no

Great achievement. Now get men to Mars, Musky!

It's Harry Kane. Swears on his daughters life he was flying the Dragon.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #2364 on: May 31, 2020, 03:43:28 pm »
You're going to have to run that by me again  :D

OK mins lol

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #2365 on: May 31, 2020, 08:15:06 pm »
This sends me back to the Apollo-Soyuz mission days... Everyone on both sides of the Iron Curtain was glued to the TVs.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #2366 on: June 14, 2020, 02:13:47 pm »
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 02:19:39 pm by kopite321 »
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2367 on: June 15, 2020, 06:23:41 pm »
Cool little video from Scott Manly talking about New Horizons' recent parallax experiment with Proxima Centauri.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ofCooIkIwvQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ofCooIkIwvQ</a>
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2368 on: June 16, 2020, 05:53:56 am »
With the football season getting on its way once again, it’s time for some to get excited about Mars once more. The Mars 2020 is on schedule with the launch being delayed b 3 days to July 20, 2020. The ULA ran into some COVID delays with delivery components.

IIRC, this is the mission that can even the score. We need one more successful landing to make the odds 50-50. Isn’t that amazing with all the recent success?!

Online LOKKO

• Legacy Fan
  • what chu talkin' bout willis?
« Reply #2369 on: July 11, 2020, 02:58:46 pm »
Managed to spot Comet neowise last night visible to the naked eye after 11.30PM low in the NNW, its visible till 22nd July I read

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2370 on: July 12, 2020, 10:16:32 am »
Magnificent photo mate.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #2371 on: July 12, 2020, 10:21:05 am »
Managed to spot Comet neowise last night visible to the naked eye after 11.30PM low in the NNW, its visible till 22nd July I read

Man where did you see it?

I'm gonna try to see it tonight.

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2372 on: July 12, 2020, 10:22:26 am »
...and if anybody replies 'in the sky' then I'll slap ya silly  :wave

Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Online LOKKO

• Legacy Fan
  • what chu talkin' bout willis?
« Reply #2373 on: July 12, 2020, 12:42:37 pm »
Man where did you see it?

I'm gonna try to see it tonight.
It's pretty easy to spot in the sky if you download a night sky app on you phone it's even easier try stellerium or sky walk

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2374 on: July 12, 2020, 02:27:01 pm »
It's pretty easy to spot in the sky if you download a night sky app on you phone it's even easier try stellerium or sky walk

Ok thanks  :D

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2375 on: July 14, 2020, 01:03:09 am »
Tomorrow is the launch date for the first UAE interplanetary mission to Mars; planned to launch on July 15, at 12.51am UAE time, (July 14, at 1.51pm PST).

The mission, named "Hope" will create the first comprehensive weather map of the low Martian atmosphere over the course of a day, as well as over the seasonal changes.

Good luck, and let's "Hope" it works like a charm!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2376 on: July 14, 2020, 12:53:25 pm »
Tomorrow is the launch date for the first UAE interplanetary mission to Mars; planned to launch on July 15, at 12.51am UAE time, (July 14, at 1.51pm PST).

The mission, named "Hope" will create the first comprehensive weather map of the low Martian atmosphere over the course of a day, as well as over the seasonal changes.

Nice one
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #2377 on: July 14, 2020, 09:43:36 pm »

Absolute belters here:

https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/news/astronomy-photographer-year-2020-shortlist-images-revealed/

5,200 entries from amateur & professional astrophotographers from nearly 70 countries with 34 images selected as finalists.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #2378 on: July 18, 2020, 01:02:07 am »
Good view of the comet Neowise right now to the NNW (00.45 AM over Devon but I expect it's also visible from the rest of the UK provided you have a clear sky)

Find the Plough and then look over to the right by about 20 degrees or so and then look approximately halfway down from there to the horizon and you should see it, the tail is vertical like a faint torch shining upwards.

I initally spotted it without my glasses on though it's best viewed through binoculars or a telescope.

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2379 on: July 18, 2020, 03:53:26 am »
I'm gonna try to snap a picture tonight from home. I'm going on the roof later.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2380 on: July 18, 2020, 08:33:31 pm »
I've been so pissed off over the comet.  It's been overcast and or rainy all fucking week in Liverpool. I've not seen a good comet since Hale Bopp over 20 years ago, so I'm desperate for the cloud to break tonight.

The comet is circumpolar from Liverpool, although it's most viewable in the early hours of the morning.  It's currently +2 magnitude, which is slightly dimmer than Mars at its dimmest.

Popcorn's Art

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #2381 on: July 20, 2020, 12:20:48 am »
A simply beautiful and somewhat humbling view of the skies tonight down here below Exmoor, reinforcing my own personal view that no matter how important we may think we are and that what we do ever has any meaning, we really are completely insignificant in the greater scheme of things, whatever that may be.

A totally clear sky, with the incomprehensible vastness of the Milky way slowly appearing, resplendent in its unfathomable and ancient cosmic glory.

Neowise appeared out of the darkening sky about 11.30, again with a vertical tail, a little bit further towards the NW now than the other night and still just to the right of the Plough and then about halfway down from there to the horizon, its tail looking like a flashlight pointing upwards in a mist.

If you have the chance and you have clear skies above, get out there and look at this ancient wanderer travelling from afar.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2382 on: July 20, 2020, 12:33:00 am »
I spent an hour trying to see Neowise last night, and again tonight. Between the light pollution, the haze and cloud that drifts in and stubbornly refuses to leave, and it being +2 magnitude now, I'm just resigned to not seeing Neowise. :(

Popcorn's Art

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #2383 on: July 20, 2020, 12:51:21 am »

I remember town was always difficult for night sky viewing especially after they introduced sodium lights on the streets back in the 60's and now there's just far too much light pollution even in the suburbs to stand much of a chance of seeing anything other than a full moon.

If you have the opportunity, probably the best place near to town is to get up to Ainsdale Beach or even Formby Point, they are sufficiently far enough away from road lights and habitation,  and then look North towards the Lake District then towards the west over the Irish sea and provided there are no clouds, Neowise should be visible.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2384 on: July 20, 2020, 01:26:34 am »

Update: the mission has launched after a weather delay postponed the original plans.

UAE Mars mission launches from Japan:
https://www.dw.com/en/uae-mars-mission-launches-from-japan/a-54237026

Good luck!

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2385 on: July 20, 2020, 09:34:46 am »
I remember town was always difficult for night sky viewing especially after they introduced sodium lights on the streets back in the 60's and now there's just far too much light pollution even in the suburbs to stand much of a chance of seeing anything other than a full moon.

If you have the opportunity, probably the best place near to town is to get up to Ainsdale Beach or even Formby Point, they are sufficiently far enough away from road lights and habitation,  and then look North towards the Lake District then towards the west over the Irish sea and provided there are no clouds, Neowise should be visible.

I dont drive, so no way I can be up in Formby around midnight.

I live in a small apartment block, so no yard or garden, just a car park with a fucking bright flood light. :butt And wandering Princes or Sefton Park at 1am doesn't grab me as a sensible idea. ;D

Popcorn's Art

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #2386 on: July 20, 2020, 11:26:12 pm »
Could bizarrely see neowise through my phone camera on night mode before it became obscured by nearby trees, couldn't make it out with the naked eye with my lousy eyesight though!

Offline NCrawley

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2387 on: July 21, 2020, 09:47:02 am »

6-DF35-DEA-6271-44-A9-BFDB-0-B02-A565-DC87" border="0

Spotted it last night in Nottingham. No expert with cameras but quite happy with the results!

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2388 on: July 21, 2020, 10:42:35 am »
Could bizarrely see neowise through my phone camera on night mode before it became obscured by nearby trees, couldn't make it out with the naked eye with my lousy eyesight though!

Went out around midnight for the third night in a row. Found a section of the promenade by the GMB union building where the lights were out and spent 15 minutes looking for the bloody thing. I knew where it should be from stellarium, but it was completely invisible.  Maybe I'll just point my phone camera at the sky in hope next time!

Popcorn's Art

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2389 on: July 21, 2020, 08:46:38 pm »
I'm so envious... By the time the comet will be visible from my pigeon hole, 3-4 more days, it will be too faint.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2390 on: July 22, 2020, 03:02:42 pm »
Been out twice to see it - app is saying exactly where it is, but too much ambiant light from the bloody white and yellow streetlights.

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2391 on: July 29, 2020, 10:46:27 pm »
Tomorrow is the launch of NASA's Mars 2020 Perseverance rover, the first of a sample return mission chain, whose purpose is to collect pristine Mars rock samples to be studies later on Earth. The rover carries a rock core drill, which will take samples, put them in a capsule, seal them hermetically and lay them on the ground for the next mission. The future ESA-built "fetch rover" will collect some of them, put them in an orb-like container and launch them into orbit. There, another vehicle will collect the sample container, transport them to Earth and drop them for reentry, while the spacecraft would fly by. Star Wars stuff, really... And the "break the contamination chain" efforts are on steroids, everyone brings up the Andromeda scenario. :)

In the past I've expressed discontent with the state of the mission, and I stand by what I said. I think we can do a much better job given enough time, but Mars comes about every ~2 years and it doesn't want to slow down for us. Should have used the COVID excuse to delay the mission and make it 10 times better, but hey-ho.

A curious fact, I believe that this landing, if successful, will even the odds to 50-50 (depending on how you count). But it's not easy to land on Mars, and it's not as trivial as we all think, considering the successful missions since 2003 Mars Exploration Rovers (Spirit and Opportunity). But the very reason why JPL is still in the business of building rovers and landers is the loss of two mars missions, a lander an an orbiter, within a few months in 1999. Another curious fact, NASA had other plans for us, to make us more like CNES, a mission management organization. In which case I would have had a very different career path. :)

And a final curious fact. Mars 2020 will carry two technology demonstration missions, one trying to make oxygen for future human exploration (MOXIE) and a helicopter, which will carry something very symbolic...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/23/science/mars-helicopter-nasa.html

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2392 on: July 30, 2020, 12:06:39 am »
James Webb launch postponed again. [emoji20]
Damn it. I need me some new baby universe photos to wash away 2020.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2393 on: July 30, 2020, 12:46:49 pm »
Mars launch in a few mins.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #2394 on: July 30, 2020, 01:29:25 pm »
Mars launch in a few mins.

Have fun mate, you should be fine with social distancing, let us know what the weather is like

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2395 on: July 30, 2020, 01:40:38 pm »
Have fun mate, you should be fine with social distancing, let us know what the weather is like

Cold with a fair amount of radiation :)

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #2396 on: August 2, 2020, 07:53:35 pm »
Dragon with a safe and textbook landing.

SpaceX with a fully completed manned mission to the space station with recovery of all sections of boosters and capsule.

Historic day for private space travel.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2397 on: August 2, 2020, 08:00:40 pm »
Dragon with a safe and textbook landing.

SpaceX with a fully completed manned mission to the space station with recovery of all sections of boosters and capsule.

Historic day for private space travel.
Watching it live on TV right now, great achievement for SpaceX!

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #2398 on: August 2, 2020, 08:20:25 pm »
Recoverable you say...

We buy any spaceship.com
We buy any spaceship.com
Any
Any
Any
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #2399 on: August 2, 2020, 08:45:48 pm »
Kind of disappointed at the lack of footage on return. And that control center looks like a call centre. Amazing achievement though. Have always wanted to go to space, but thinking of all the ways it could go wrong I'm not so sure now
 Never mind the age and health considerations.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.