Author Topic: Great Liverpool Moments Part 5: When God ruled the World  (Read 2597 times)

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Great Liverpool Moments Part 5: When God ruled the World
« on: March 12, 2012, 12:34:16 pm »
Part 5 in a series, this time celebrating the genius that was Robbie Fowler. Please go to diminbeirut.typepad.com for the others.

FA Cup Semi Final 1996, Liverpool 3-0 Aston Villa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbCDJEGS0cM (go to 4:32)

“You are looking at a goal scoring genius”- Martin Tyler

From 1991 to 1994, Liverpool looked like a spent force. Yes we won the cup in 92, but in 3 seasons in the league, we finished 6th twice in a row and 8th. There was very little optimism around the place. And for me, a kid just reaching puberty, who had, in my short life so far, known nothing but success, it was all a bit depressing. I even went off football for a bit, as I moved to Beirut where there was no way to follow the sport.

Until that kid wearing the number 23 came along and I feel head over heels for the sport again.

Robbie Fowler was, is and I suspect forever will be, the best striker I’ve ever seen wear the Liverpool shirt. I’ve seen Aldridge, Beardsley, Rush, Owen, Torres, Suarez and Carroll (ahem…). Not a single one of them can hold a candle to Fowler in his pomp.

He was devastating to watch. He could score from absolutely anywhere, in any situation. He would lob the keeper, flick the ball over his head and volley it in, shoot from 30 yards, or poach from 3 inches away. He mixed impudence with efficiency, cheekiness with fight and desire.

He was just as comfortable in the area as he was outside of it. He had imagination and creativity in his finishing along with the air of a man who loved playing for his hometown’s premier football club.

For my generation, Robbie Fowler was the symbol of the renaissance of the club and the guardian of all our dreams. For us, he was our Dalglish, Torres, Gerrard all rolled into one.

He made us kids do funny things. I fought (and lost) the war with my parents to dye my hair blonde. I wrote his name everywhere in school. I bought those nose plaster thingys. I copied his shirt turning celebration. I started wishing I was left footed. I memorized his birthday by heart and, even as a 31 year old “adult”, I can still remember it (9th of April 1975 if you’re interested).

There are so many great Robbie Fowler moments it’s hard to narrow them down: the 5 goals against Fulham, the fastest hat trick in league history against Arsenal, those 2 at Old Trafford, that insanely good goal when he turned Staunton, Birmingham and that volley, Alaves, the backwards lob versus Charlton, the goodbye hat trick against Leicester, the Bergen one which I still haven’t seen anyone else do… You could literally write a book about great Robbie Fowler goals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oom5t5uSUmk

And that’s not to mention anything about his character. The sniffing the white like celebration, the time he jumped on a steward in the 2001 cup semi final, the “smack head” celebration at Goodison, the 5 times to United fans, the Le Saux jibes, the Dockers support, the Seaman penalty incident… He combined jaw dropping talent with moments of sheer laugh out loud brilliance.

He was still a kid but was scoring world class goals. Every week. His brilliance was deciding games by itself. For a while, it seemed Robbie could take us anywhere we wanted to go, and reach heights very few players would ever reach.

Never was that more apparent that on cup semi final day against Aston Villa in 1996.

We’d won the league cup the season before, but we really wanted this competition. One, because it was obviously more prestigious, but also because it was the only competition Bob Paisley had never won as manager- and he had passed away on Saint Valentine’s Day that year.

After reaching the semis following a replay win against Leeds, we faced Aston Villa. A side we’d beaten twice that season (with Fowler scoring 3 out of the 5 goals) and that had succeeded us as League Cup winners.

But, thanks to 2 wonderful goals from the still only 21 years old Robbie Fowler, we put them away.

The first was magnificent but, due to the sheer wonder of his goal repertoire, barely remembered. He moves past the defender in a flash and sends a diving, sideways header into the bottom corner of the net. There are very few players in the history of football that can score goals like this. Fowler is one of them.

The second is better known and sums Fowler’s talents up more than any other goal. It’s one where he combines his instinctive predatory skills, great movement, impudence and superb finishing technique. It’s a goal that no other striker in England could have scored back then.

As the free kick comes in, Robbie has the instinct to step away from the box in anticipation of a rebound. Low and behold, the ball falls exactly to where he’s moved to. He chests it down and sends a bullet of a half volley past Bosnich. 2-0 with a couple of minutes left. We were in the final.

Mcateer added a 3rd but it was all about Robbie Fowler. At such a young age, he was already everything to the team. He was the one we thought would write a whole lot of new chapters in the club’s history.

A few days later, he scored 2 more in the classic 4-3 victory over Newcastle. He’d end up with 36 goals that season and 31 the season after. We’d miss out on the cup that season but Robbie would grab 3 more medals in the treble season of 2001. He’d score in the League and Uefa Cup finals, and shoot us into the Champions League.

But his star would never burn as bright as on Cup semi final day at Old Trafford in 1996. In an era where he dominated, that was the day when, more than any other, he seemed to have the whole world at his feet.

That was the day God ruled the world.
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline Stevando_Torrard

• Anny Roader
  • When the time is right...
Re: Great Liverpool Moments Part 5: When God ruled the World
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 01:20:57 pm »
My favourite ever player. That is all!

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 01:56:45 pm »
Nice post.

My hero growing up too - put simply, Fowler was one of the best finishers in World Football since time began.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 02:44:27 pm »

He made us kids do funny things. I fought (and lost) the war with my parents to dye my hair blonde. I wrote his name everywhere in school. I bought those nose plaster thingys. I copied his shirt turning celebration. I started wishing I was left footed. I memorized his birthday by heart and, even as a 31 year old “adult”, I can still remember it (9th of April 1975 if you’re interested).

I am left footed and I did the shirt turning celebration...so I'm slightly more like Robbie than you ;)

Nice post (again!), he really was something else back then. The quality and quantity of those goals. As you say, he could score all types. It's funny how he struggled to get a regular chance at international level back then. Aged around 21 and three seasons in a row of 30+ goals. Compare that to the last England squad with a choice of Welbeck, Sturridge and Campbell!

Anyway, that was England's problem, not ours I guess. Such a shame that injuries robbed him of a chance to achieve so much more. But what a player he was in those early yreas. And actually, his return under Rafa is perhaps the happiest I've ever felt when a new signing has been announced! He actually did ok when he returned, but I knew it wasn't going to be a signing that would take us to another level but I still didn't care. I was just glad he got a chance to play for us again, to score in front of the Kop again.

Legend.

Offline bellinter

• Infamous author of 'The Joy of Hate'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 04:44:43 pm »
remember the overhead on his second debut against Birmingham that was just offside.... what a return that would have been!

Remember this game pretty well. Just how fucking lethal was this kid? Unbelievable. Legend is right
In ceremonies of the horsemen, even the pawn must hold a grudge.

Offline masterbaker

• kneads a good rise.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 05:02:39 pm »
what a player, score from anywhere, what kind of price would he go for these days?

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 10:19:12 pm »
If he was any good he would of got more Ingurland games  ??? ::) :P

Another good read from Mr Brentie.
Last night i watched that John Bishop interview with Robbie which was a good laugh but what shocked me was his feet.
His toes are all bent over from wearing size 6 boots,when he should of worn size 8.

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 10:30:35 pm »
Why didn't he get more England games?

Offline Rococo

• mo-sissoko
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 11:34:11 pm »
Nice one Brentie.

That hat trick against Arsenal always sticks in my mind as do his goals past Schmeichel.  What a player!

Offline Prof

• fessor Yaffle. Full tosser.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • The Alternative Premier League Table
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 12:28:23 am »
 :wellin

Offline The Red artist.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • With hope in your heart.
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 12:36:16 am »
What a player, exactly whats missing right now. As i sit here and glance to my right i see my Robbie portriat i did of him and it puts a massive grin on my face, cos Robbie came round to my gaff to sign it for me! A true Gent, and Legend.
Y.N.W.A....J.F.T.96.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 08:07:17 am »
Great post Brentie. Robbie is a true legend, and one of the finest players I ever had the pleasure to support.

Offline Danyaals Kop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 08:56:07 am »
Excellent post Brentie. What a player Robbie was. Sure could use a finisher like him right now.

Offline ziggyy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wums should remain underground...
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 09:47:48 am »
For me, each sport has its defining icon,

Basketball - Jordan
F1 - Senna
Tennis - Sampras/Agassi
Swimming - Thrope
Football - Our Robbie.... It is really a shame to let him go the first round and I still think he can make some contribution to our current team. Even as a mentor to the young players.

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 10:23:53 am »
Biggest footballing regret is Robbie Fowler.

I look at him and the career he had and its so sad.

He should be like Giggs, Scholes, Del Pierro et all. He sHould still be playing at the highest level of English football with 3 times as many medals he's got in the bag.

Cruel injuries robbed him of what he should have become.

My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 10:47:41 am »
Why didn't he get more England games?

It was just unfortunate for him that Shearer was also in his pomp around the same time

Then there was also Sheringham, Ferdinand, and an up and coming Michael Owen

England had a good crop of strikers around then, it wasn't so easy to nail down a spot, unless you were Alan Shearer
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.