Author Topic: Liverpool v Manchester United (FA Cup) Sunday 17th  (Read 16872 times)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Liverpool v Manchester United (FA Cup) Sunday 17th
« on: March 15, 2024, 12:42:55 pm »
PROPER write up, by the one and only Jackh - great job mate

Manchester United vs Liverpool

15:30, Sunday 17th March
Old Trafford, Trafford
FA Cup Quarter Final
Referee: John Brooks

Liverpool make their first of two visits to Old Trafford within a matter of weeks this weekend, as Manchester United host an FA Cup Quarter Final match that brings together the nation’s greatest footballing rivals. Erik ten Hag’s side beat Nottingham Forest three weeks ago to progress to this stage of the competition, but lost their league games either side of that fixture (home to Fulham and away to Manchester City) before beating Everton last weekend. Jürgen Klopp’s side beat Southampton in the Fifth Round, prior to which they won the League Cup before league matches that saw them beat Nottingham Forest away from home and draw with Manchester City at Anfield – that latter fixture sandwiched between legs of a Europa League tie with Sparta Prague that was resolved 11-2 in Liverpool’s favour. Form and – frankly – quality should make the Reds favourites to claim victory over their famous rivals, but United’s schedule has been lighter and this fixture represents an opportunity both to keep their trophy hopes alive & to diminish the silverware aspirations of their visitors.

The sides last met in mid-December, playing out a goalless draw at Anfield, whilst their previous FA Cup meeting was a Fourth Round tie at Old Trafford three years ago – Mohamed Salah scored a goal in each half, but goals from Mason Greenwood, Marcus Rashford, and Bruno Fernandes secured a 3-2 victory for the home side (they progressed through the following round with a victory over West Ham United before being knocked out at the Quarter Final stage). This weekend’s fixture is the fifteenth time the clubs have been drawn together in the competition, with twelve-time winners United getting the better of eight-time winners Liverpool on ten occasions – the 1990’s meetings offering particularly painful memories for supporters of the Reds.

Erik ten Hag’s side enjoyed a straightforward run to the Fifth Round, courtesy of away wins against Wigan Athletic and Newport County, but found their trip to Forest’s City Ground more challenging – the tie was settled by an 89th-minute Casemiro winner. Jürgen Klopp’s side fought hard away to emerging rivals Arsenal before two late goals secured a 2-0 victory, whilst his side’s youngsters have represented the club well in subsequent home victories against Championship sides Norwich City & Southampton.

There’s an air of change around both clubs at the moment, albeit with the prevailing moods around the clubs feeling very different. Manchester United have recently secured 25% investment from INEOS owner Jim Ratcliffe, who’s group will take control of football operations from long-term owners, the Glazers. United’s supporters enjoyed great success through the 1990s and ‘00’s, but have mainly languished around the Champions League qualification positions since Alex Ferguson’s departure in 2012. Erik ten Hag arrived amidst encouragement two years ago, but little has really changed in regard to the club’s realistic ambitions and his position – and the sustainability of the wider footballing operation as it has existed for many years now – looks increasingly untenable. The process of change is already well-underway for their Anfield rivals too, with Michael Edwards returning to the FSG Group fold – his position differs to the one he previously held at Liverpool, but offers some reassurance as the club embark on the final months of Jürgen Klopp’s time as manager.

Both Manchester United and Liverpool have struggled with relatively high numbers of injuries throughout this season, though both have seen this ease over recent weeks. Erik ten Hag will have observed Liverpool’s free-scoring habits over their matches against Sparta Prague over the last week or so, and may be tempted to use similarly stifling tactics as those observed at the City of Manchester Stadium recently – albeit to no avail, as their city rivals came from behind to win 3-1. Jurgen Klopp’s squad has been transformed by the performances of youngsters who’ve been involved due to necessity during recent months – Jarrell Quansah and Connor Bradley join Caoimhín Kelleher in looking like they’ve been in the first-team for years, whilst Bobby Clark, James McConnell, and Jayden Danns have also contributed positively recently. Liverpool have already won the League Cup and supporters still have hopes of seeing their side lift the FA Cup, Europa League, and Premier League trophies during the final days of Jürgen Klopp’s tenure – on the verge of an international break and with players returning from injury, a combination of senior stars and promising youngers will be trusted to overcome the next hurdle on Sunday.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 02:46:08 pm by Andy @ Allerton! »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Irishred1

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Liverpool v Manchester United (FA Cup) Sunday 17th
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2024, 12:55:20 pm »
Brooks is a poor ref but so are the rest so its much of a muchness who it was. On all form this year we should be too good. However its the FA cup where the plucky underdog tries to catch the bigger team off guard. Expecting us to go through.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2024, 01:08:58 pm »

Cracking OP. Not as sweary as I was expecting!

Btw the semi final draw is after our game so something to do while we’re held back after winning 5-0.

Offline Realgman

• Kopite
  • gerrup the yard
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2024, 01:12:51 pm »

Couldn't possibly have the same bad luck in not finishing these off in good order this time around ....
I am not a dreamer. I am a football romantic-Jurgen Klopp

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2024, 01:13:56 pm »
Andy includes nothing about the game except for the ref. Very on brand :)

Offline TAA66

• Kopite
  • Nobody grows up wanting to be a Gary Neville
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2024, 01:26:37 pm »
Think we’ll absolutely smash these…

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2024, 01:28:57 pm »
Just want us to win i don't care if it's 7-0 or 1-0 just end these clowns season off proper.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2024, 01:39:56 pm »
Konate did not train today which usually means he won't play

Gravenberch did train in full today

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2024, 01:41:30 pm »
Just want us to win i don't care if it's 7-0 or 1-0 just end these clowns season off proper.

Totally agree

7-0 would be nice though

They will go full defensive at the toilet and play on the counter….we just need to ensure we don’t get picked off by over committing.

I quite fancy the idea of a Bradley Salah Szobo triangle on their lindelof rashford left flank.

But the again we might have Nunez v Maguire.

It’s just too much!

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2024, 01:51:07 pm »
Assistant referees: Lee Betts & Timothy Wood
Fourth official: Anthony Taylor
VAR: Tim Robinson
Support VAR: Christopher Kavanagh
Assistant VAR: Edward Smart
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2024, 01:54:02 pm »

Mancthony Taylor and Chris I'm not a United Supporter Kavanaugh.

In the same game.

Be still my heart.

Online Craig67

• Main Stander
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2024, 01:54:40 pm »

Thats handy for Anthony Taylor - getting paid for a game he would probably have been going to anyway.....he can sit in his usual seat, next to the home dugout.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2024, 01:56:40 pm »
team i would guess
Kelleher
Bradley Quansah VVD Gomez
       Endo
  Mac        Szobo
Salah Nunez   Diaz

have Elliott,Robertson,Gravenberch,Gakpo,Tsimiaks on the bench. Starting to look stronger now.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2024, 01:58:18 pm »
team i would guess
Kelleher
Bradley Quansah VVD Gomez
       Endo
  Mac        Szobo
Salah Nunez   Diaz

have Elliott,Robertson,Gravenberch,Gakpo,Tsimiaks on the bench. Starting to look stronger now.

I wonder if Gomez starts at CB and we play Robbo.

Think Elliott starts too.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2024, 01:58:36 pm »

Amazing isn’t it, 7 of them

Well worth paying for if you get a better and fairer managed outcome

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2024, 02:04:48 pm »
How many knobheads does it take to make a ‘daft’ cockup? 7 apparently

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2024, 02:05:20 pm »
I think being away from home and it not being a league match will have us more relaxed than that league game in December. The way we're playing/the way they're playing you'd expect victory, but it was the same earlier in the season. Should still win though, make the chances and I'll be more confident of us taking them.

Kelleher
Bradley   Quansah   VVD   Robertson
Endo   Mac Allister   Szoboszlai
Salah   Nunez   Diaz

Getting close to full strength. Hopefully Konate can train tomorrow and be in contention but still got Quansah/Gomez to come in. Once again, I expect that if Endo/Mac Allister are on it, the rest will take care of itself. Fancy a goal from out wide from Salah or Diaz. Get us to Wembley again, Liverpool  :wave
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2024, 02:06:55 pm »
I wonder if Gomez starts at CB and we play Robbo.

Think Elliott starts too.

With the subs last night I'd think more likely Gomez at RB, Quansah and Virg and then Robbo LB.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2024, 02:09:11 pm »
Mostly interested to see if Manchester United once again play with 11 behind the ball, defending for their lives, scambling to put two passes together, hoofing long balls up to isolated strikers. No matter the result, seeing them in such a submissive and frankly embarassing state always makes me happy.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2024, 02:38:34 pm »
This feels like a free hit in some ways and hope that means we play with authority and freedom.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline BigCDump

• Kopite
  • Let's Klopp Til' We Drop
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2024, 02:41:34 pm »
I can see Endo being subbed quite early in the second half and bringing in Gakpo, to get through the Pulis bus.
Nineteen Six. Believe it now, baby!

Offline nerdster4

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2024, 02:44:46 pm »
We are away

This is their cup final

They ll have a few players back

I think the main reason why I fancy us is that we have a better manager and they have to attack at some point and leave gaps . Maybe one goal will decide it

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2024, 02:46:39 pm »
We are away

This is their cup final

They ll have a few players back

I think the main reason why I fancy us is that we have a better manager and they have to attack at some point and leave gaps . Maybe one goal will decide it

I suppose they can't really play for 0-0 either.

Ok I guess they can.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2024, 02:54:33 pm »
If they come at us with their hilarious press high and defend deep, where's the midfield(?) donut formation, we'll absolutely batter them.  But I expect it'll be them sitting right back and knocking it over the top for Rashford and Hojlund for 90 minutes.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2024, 03:03:44 pm »
Maguire is back so they will defend deep.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2024, 03:04:21 pm »
If they come at us with their hilarious press high and defend deep, where's the midfield(?) donut formation, we'll absolutely batter them.  But I expect it'll be them sitting right back and knocking it over the top for Rashford and Hojlund for 90 minutes.

Going to look like more diving than the 2020 Toyko Summer Olympics diving events.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2024, 03:04:47 pm »
They'll sit back because they are simply not good enough to play an expansive game against us:

1. Onana can't be relied on to deal with clearcut chances.
2. Casemiro and Fernandes lose the ball too often and expose them to counters.
3. They'll have a makeshift LB who Mo can roast on the counter.
4. The likes of Amrabat and Antony are just not good enough at this level.
5. Rashford and Hojlund are better when they have space to run into.

Hojlund is their dangerman because he's been in very decent form. In terms of their weaknesses, Casemiro is a glaring against a pressing team and Onana doesn’t save shots. If Lindelof is at LB, we can target him as well.

Basically,  they are shite but they'll be hoping to score first to get the fans onside. If we play our football and not get moved by the occasion, it will be half-empty by FT.

Considering their strengths and weaknesses, this will be my team:

Kelleher

Bradley (width to stretch their bus) - Gomez - Virg- Robbo

Szobo-Endo-Mac

Mo-Darwin-Diaz

I'll play Gomez because of his pace vs Hojlund.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 03:08:12 pm by MonsLibpool »

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2024, 03:08:10 pm »

"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2024, 03:08:27 pm »
Maguire is back so they will defend deep.

As opposed to a high line with Jonny Evans? :D

They've got no Shaw or Martinez.

Could be a perfect storm for them really. Genuinely wouldn't be surprised if they play for extra time quite early on, but you'd think if they sit deep they'll get the fans on their back. And if they do come out you'd think they'll just get plastered all over the stadium.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2024, 03:10:10 pm »
As Andy noted - Bruno, gazpacho, and Rashers will be diving non-stop.

Then many long balls for Poundshop and Rashers.

Nick a goal and pen - job done.

Possession will be 70-30 in Liverpools favor. Shots will be heavily skewed to us too. But they just want any kind of win - ref aided would be ideal.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2024, 03:14:03 pm »
Thats handy for Anthony Taylor - getting paid for a game he would probably have been going to anyway.....he can sit in his usual seat, next to the home dugout.

Kavanagh supports Utd as well
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2024, 03:16:31 pm »
Hope we go strong and put them in their place.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2024, 03:18:17 pm »
Hope we go strong and put them in their place.

No game after Sunday until the 31st due to the International break, we'll be as strong as we can possibly be
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2024, 03:21:45 pm »
Mostly interested to see if Manchester United once again play with 11 behind the ball, defending for their lives, scambling to put two passes together, hoofing long balls up to isolated strikers. No matter the result, seeing them in such a submissive and frankly embarassing state always makes me happy.

They surely have to be a bit braver on Sunday. Not just because they’re at home, but also because it has to be settled on the day and I doubt they’d be overly confident taking us to penalties either.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2024, 03:25:09 pm »
They surely have to be a bit braver on Sunday. Not just because they’re at home, but also because it has to be settled on the day and I doubt they’d be overly confident taking us to penalties either.
They'd be risking a tonking by doing that. They'll park the bus and play on the counter with the hope that they score first. Their plan after that would be to let the atmosphere do the work.

They don't keep the ball well enough and they are just not quick enough to play man for man with us (slow centrebacks and midfielders that need protection). Even Onana needs protection.

Casemiro's legs have gone and Maguire is so slow.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2024, 03:28:19 pm »
LET'S TWAT THESE TWATS
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Online smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2024, 03:36:19 pm »
Great OP. Let’s smash these twats and consign their season to oblivion.

Online smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2024, 03:40:37 pm »
They'd be risking a tonking by doing that. They'll park the bus and play on the counter with the hope that they score first.

We’ve got to counter that by scoring first ourselves. If we’re at 100% from the off, batter them and get an early goal, they’ll collapse.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2024, 03:41:14 pm »
Really want to win this

Beat them and put fear into them for when we come back to do it again later
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Online Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2024, 03:55:55 pm »

Isn't the the referee the same corrupted one who sent off VVD aginst Newcastle and was scared to give Arsenal players yellow cards ?
 https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC/s/43C90rSe6A