Author Topic: Match Preview - Liverpool v Sparta Praha, Europa League R16, Thursday 20h  (Read 16267 times)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Klopp said he wants "the best legs for the game".  He wouldn't commit to saying he'll play the kids but suggests there'll be quite a lot of rotation from the two Manchester games.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Dom also did presser so that suggests he is starting.

No real team news from Klopp.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
He'll go fairly strong:

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp on team selection: "It's really important whatever game you play you want to win that game first and foremost and we want to play the best possible football game. That's always how we decide the line-up.

"I couldn't tell you in this moment what I would do, even if I wanted to. After this I go to the training ground and everyone tells you about niggles here and there. We had a few players yesterday that needed an extra day. Let's see how they are today.

"The idea of the line-up will be to have the best legs for that game, because that's we need. We have to ignore the result [from the first leg]. We need to keep rhythm and keep going. We scored some good football situations over there. It's about keeping that rhythm. Don't think about next game on Sunday, even when it is Manchester United."
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
Out: Alisson, Trent, Matip, Konate, Bajcetic, Thiago, Jones, Gravenberch, Jota, Doak

I'd go with this.

Kelleher

Bradley          Quansah          Gomez          Robertson
                                       (45-van Djik)

Clark          Endo          McConnell
                         (45-Mac Allister)

Elliott          Gakpo          Koumas
            (45-Salah)

Subs: Adrian, Mrozek, Tsimikas, van Djik, Nallo, Mac Allister, Szoboszlai, Gordon, Musialowski, Salah, Diaz, Nunez

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
Not the most exciting set of questions from the journos.  Klopp's thoughts on Edwards coming back was probably the pick of it.  A few dollied up to him about Gomez's and Virgil's form.

Apparently Salah is ready to start games again but I still think he'll be a sub tonight.  No updates on the status of our other missing players.

Online Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Not the most exciting set of questions from the journos.  Klopp's thoughts on Edwards coming back was probably the pick of it.  A few dollied up to him about Gomez's and Virgil's form.

Apparently Salah is ready to start games again but I still think he'll be a sub tonight.  No updates on the status of our other missing players.

He'll be lonely on that subs bench.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
Most legs seems a good way to go about it to me
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
5-1 up, and playing at Anfield.

Play the staff from the canteen, the u16s, Klopp's missus, Jordan Ibe, whoever - but let the rest  get some rest.

If Szoboszlai needs some minutes, give him some. No one else needs minutes.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
Szoboszlai needs some minutes, give him some. No one else needs minutes.

Salah, Robertson, Tsimikas probably fall into the ‘needing minutes’ bucket too.

If Konate is going to be fit for Sunday I think I’d play Quansah here as well.

You can’t rest everyone though. You still need to make up a team. In saying that I’d like to see Gomez, VvD, MacAllister, Endo, Elliott, Diaz and Nunez given breather here. I suspect we’ll see some of them though. Even if it’s only for 30 min cameos
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan

You can’t rest everyone though. You still need to make up a team. In saying that I’d like to see Gomez, VvD, MacAllister, Endo, Elliott, Diaz and Nunez given breather here. I suspect we’ll see some of them though. Even if it’s only for 30 min cameos

I always recall hearing managers/coaches saying training sessions are more intense than matchdays. I'm not sure if that directly relates to liklihood of injury, but I assume it does.

If that is the case, then there's not too much to fear giving players who need it time.

I certainly thought Salah was a little rusty, Szobozslai and Robertson too. I think we'll have a real mix of youth and experience. Though some players I'd defintiely given time off to. VVD, Gomez, Macca, Endo, Nunez, Diaz and Elliot. Aside from that, tuck in.

Something like this would be a good balance I think.

Kelleher

Bradley
Quansah
Robertson
Tsimikas

O Connell
Clark
Szosozslai

Salah
Gakpo
Koumas
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
Most legs seems a good way to go about it to me
About 22 healthy legs should be alright

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
I always recall hearing managers/coaches saying training sessions are more intense than matchdays. I'm not sure if that directly relates to liklihood of injury, but I assume it does.

If that is the case, then there's not too much to fear giving players who need it time.

I certainly thought Salah was a little rusty, Szobozslai and Robertson too. I think we'll have a real mix of youth and experience. Though some players I'd defintiely given time off to. VVD, Gomez, Macca, Endo, Nunez, Diaz and Elliot. Aside from that, tuck in.

Kelleher

Bradley
Quansah
Robertson
Tsimikas

O Connell
Clark
Szosozslai

Salah
Gakpo
Koumas

I agree with the team above.

The training versus playing games is an interesting one. 30 mins v Sparta Prague is probably less intense than a full training session. I think games have more potential for impact injuries.

The other piece is logistics. Particularly for away games. How do you rest 4-6 players  but ensure they get appropriate training. Monday would have been a recovery day, Tuesday normal session/recovery, Wednesday normal session and prep for game, Thursday no training, Friday recovery session, Saturday light training and prep for United.

If vast majority of players are going through the schedule above, what do you do with 4-5 players you want to rest? Can you give them proper sessions with such a small number? Even harder for away games when full coaching staff are with the match day squad.

I think it’s really easy as a fan to say don’t play anyone. For a number of reasons, I think it’s significantly harder to put in practice as a manager. It’s why I think resting those who absolutely need it but managing the minutes of those who need to keep ticking along is easier to manage than having the squad split into different training schedules in a week to week basis.

In saying all that I’m a fan so want to see lots of the players get as much time off as possible this week.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Online ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
Got to get minutes into legs in some cases and manage minutes in some of the ones who have been flogged these last few weeks. I'd go:

Kelleher
Bradley (45) Quansah Gomez Robbo (60)
McConnell
Clark Soboszlai (60)
Salah (60) Danns Gakpo

The only question for me is do you give Gomez the full 90 with him replacing Bradley at HT at RB but then you'd need to bring in either VVD or Nyoni. We should have more than enough in this side and in the scoreline to be able to do this

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
No sign of Danns in training?

Online smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
No sign of Danns in training?

He's injured isn't he?

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
I read a poster saying sometime last week the protocol for concussion is 7 days rest so he would have missed the training session before this game (and hence not be considered for this game).

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
Think it'll be a mix of youth and experience. Salah and Szobo in particular need minutes following their layoffs, and should both be starting the game. I'd also be getting some minutes into the legs of Tsimikas and Gravenberch, although the latter might just make a 10 minute cameo. Diaz and Elliott have both ran themselves into the ground for this club over the past few weeks, and have hopefully earned themselves a well deserved rest.

Clark appears to be the one kid that has the most faith from the manager (between him, Koumas, McConnell, Nyoni and Danns) and would back him to play an entire 90 minutes. I would expect something like this:

Kelleher
Bradley Gomez Quansah Tsimikas
Endo Clark Szoboszlai
Salah Danns Gakpo

If Danns isn't fit, then maybe Koumas will get a start. Nunez looked absolutely shattered on Sunday, so I think a cameo off the bench would suffice for him.

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
Think Salah needs to get at least a proper 45-50 minutes before the mancs.
Seen us win everything

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
I read a poster saying sometime last week the protocol for concussion is 7 days rest so he would have missed the training session before this game (and hence not be considered for this game).

His injury occurred more than 7 days ago, the protocols are managed by the following:

For a player to be deemed fit to return to play, the League will first impose these five steps, each one taking a minimum of one day:
1) No activity, 2) Light aerobic exercise, 3) Sports specific exercise, 4) Non-contact sports drills, 5) Full contact practice , 6) Return to play.
The assessment of the player will be ongoing throughout the above steps with a minimum recovery period of six days imposed from the time of the injury.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
His injury occurred more than 7 days ago, the protocols are managed by the following:

For a player to be deemed fit to return to play, the League will first impose these five steps, each one taking a minimum of one day:
1) No activity, 2) Light aerobic exercise, 3) Sports specific exercise, 4) Non-contact sports drills, 5) Full contact practice , 6) Return to play.
The assessment of the player will be ongoing throughout the above steps with a minimum recovery period of six days imposed from the time of the injury.

Thanks for the specifics, didn't know about them.

Offline Cafe De Paris

• Kopite
  • Up the Red Men
Spot on op. I’m also looking forward to the international break. What a rollercoaster we are on as we near the home straight. Scary, could be devastating but could also be the best season the club has ever had. One game at a time. Up the red men.
LFC a bastion of invincibility.

Offline TAA66

• Kopite
  • Nobody grows up wanting to be a Gary Neville

Kelleher

Bradley
Quansah
Robertson
Tsimikas

O Connell
Clark
Szosozslai

Salah
Gakpo
Koumas

Who plays with Quansah in central defence? Don’t think Robbo is suited to that

Offline terry_macss_perm

• looking to be flogged
  • Kopite
Got to get minutes into legs in some cases and manage minutes in some of the ones who have been flogged these last few weeks. I'd go:

Kelleher
Bradley (45) Quansah Gomez Robbo (60)
McConnell
Clark Soboszlai (60)
Salah (60) Danns Gakpo

The only question for me is do you give Gomez the full 90 with him replacing Bradley at HT at RB but then you'd need to bring in either VVD or Nyoni. We should have more than enough in this side and in the scoreline to be able to do this

Nyoni isn’t eligible to play in Europe this season. Or next, unless he’s added to the A List in the summer.

Offline terry_macss_perm

• looking to be flogged
  • Kopite
Out: Alisson, Trent, Matip, Konate, Bajcetic, Thiago, Jones, Gravenberch, Jota, Doak

I'd go with this.

Kelleher

Bradley          Quansah          Gomez          Robertson
                                       (45-van Djik)

Clark          Endo          McConnell
                         (45-Mac Allister)

Elliott          Gakpo          Koumas
            (45-Salah)

Subs: Adrian, Mrozek, Tsimikas, van Djik, Nallo, Mac Allister, Szoboszlai, Gordon, Musialowski, Salah, Diaz, Nunez

Nallo isn’t eligible.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
Tomorrows match will be all about giving mins to players who need rhythm and resting those out on their feet. I hope we don't play too many seniors, last week was stronger than we needed.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬

I'd rest Salah, unless his fitness is 100%.

One more game before the break after tomorrow's match. We need Salah for the remainder of the season. Although there's probably an argument to say he has time to recover after this weekend...
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Thanks Zlen mate, great stuff.

We should all cherish every single opportunity we have stepping in to Anfield to see that amazing turf and to get behind the Reds ..... but I'm thinking I wouldn't have minded just watching this on the telly with a beer tommorra  :)

I'm taking my eldest daughter for a change, yonks since she's been so it will be different even if she doesn't know any of the players names who'll be playing.

4-1 to the Reds.

Offline terry_macss_perm

• looking to be flogged
  • Kopite
Tomorrows match will be all about giving mins to players who need rhythm and resting those out on their feet. I hope we don't play too many seniors, last week was stronger than we needed.

Don’t have much choice at CB. After VVD, Gomez and Quansah the next in line is Carter Pinnington who only turned 17 three weeks ago.

Offline androulla

• aka little monkey
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
I cannot wait to go to Anfield tomorrow night to watch the Reds….. what a special present for a special birthday! The excitement is unreal! :D ;D

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
Would rather have one of the kids in goal than Adrian. The outfield kids seem to be doing ok so maybe the keepers will be just as good?

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Wonder if we might see Adrian in goal for this one?
hopefully not, unless we want to make it tougher than it needs to be for the rest of the side

i'd rather that avoid as i'd like it to feature a lot of young players starting - clark quansah mcconnell danns/koumas/gordon)

Offline cipher

• Kopite
  • Southport & Toronto
I think we'll go with something like this...

Keheller
Bradley-Gomez-Quansah-Tzimikas
Clark-Sozbo-McConnell
Salah-Gakpo-Danns

Then we'll see changes at half-time, or soon afterward, for those that will start Sunday against ManU (Bradley, Sozbo, Salah).   We're definitely scoring in this game so those worrying need not as this tie is over as they aren't scoring 6+ goals.

This should be the starters for Sunday...

Keheller
Bradley-Konate-VVD-Robertson
Mac-Endo-Sozbo
Salah-Nunez-Diaz

That's almost starting to look like our full-lineup again.  Can't wait to see who we have available for Brighton as it looks like Jones, Trent and Gravenberch will be back by then meaning just Allison & Jota to join us for the final run.
Raúl barely had a kick. The nearest he got to greatness was when he shook Gerrard by the hand.   Times - Mar 10,2009.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
Shouts to play Adrián are mad. He's barely played any competitive football in the last couple of years and we're going to chuck him in cold in the 2nd leg of a knockout game where we are likely to be having a fair few kids playing. Even though we have a big lead, no way.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Shouts to play Adrián are mad. He's barely played any competitive football in the last couple of years and we're going to chuck him in cold in the 2nd leg of a knockout game where we are likely to be having a fair few kids playing. Even though we have a big lead, no way.
Definitely. And not only has he declined from his own best, he's a very bad fit for the way we want our keepers to play (he's a Given type who hates being off his line, and is a terrible passer and distributor of the ball.

Playing anyone but Kelleher would probably impact the appetite to 'risk' playing more of the young players, which I wouldn't want either. But if it was insisted on, I'd much prefer to play one of the young keepers who've been moulded in line with how we want our keepers to play. I'd probably gamble they're better at keeping than Adrian too.

If we're wanting to

Offline TAA66

• Kopite
  • Nobody grows up wanting to be a Gary Neville
I think we'll go with something like this...

Keheller
Clark-Sozbo-McConnell
Salah-Gakpo-Danns

Then we'll see changes at half-time, or soon afterward, for those that will start Sunday against ManU (Bradley, Sozbo, Salah).   We're definitely scoring in this game so those worrying need not as this tie is over as they aren't scoring 6+ goals.

This should be the starters for Sunday...

Keheller
Bradley-Konate-VVD-Robertson
Mac-Endo-Sozbo
Salah-Nunez-Diaz

That's almost starting to look like our full-lineup again.  Can't wait to see who we have available for Brighton as it looks like Jones, Trent and Gravenberch will be back by then meaning just Allison & Jota to join us for the final run.

Yep I think this will be the team he starts too:

Keheller
Clark-Sozbo-McConnell
Salah-Gakpo-Danns

And we rest the starters for united at half time

Offline kvarmeismydad

• Might regale ya with tales of footballing genitalia
  • Legacy Fan
Doak and Bajcetic would have had some good game time this season annoying that they have been out long term. The new kids have had a lot of exposure and recognition recently and when you add these two into the mix its a huge amount of talent coming through.
@paulair

Offline jj2005

• Kemlynite
Spot on op. I’m also looking forward to the international break. What a rollercoaster we are on as we near the home straight. Scary, could be devastating but could also be the best season the club has ever had. One game at a time. Up the red men.

I hope all the Liverpool International players who are currently fit get a 'Ryan Giggs injury' next week - have no sign of injury in the match immediately prior to an international friendly (or most internationals generally), then mysteriously have to pull out of the international due to injury but miraculously the injury is always 100% healed by the time of the next club match.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
Wondering will Sparta rest a lot of players as well

Offline Red Giant

• da red giant asshole
  • Anny Roader
Van Dijk, Endo, McAllister, Elliott, Diaz, Nunez - have all earned a rest so I hope they don't need to get involved. Bradley and Gomez too but I don't see how we field a good enough team if we rest them also