Author Topic: Welcome Dominik Szoboszlai  (Read 229877 times)

Offline PEG2K

• Could be Stan Boardman. Hates the Germans.
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Welcome Dominik Szoboszlai
« Reply #2320 on: March 17, 2024, 09:08:53 pm »
he's simply not being decisive enough as our most advanced 8, he had lots of space behind a poor United midfield today and did little with it, whether with his passing or dribbling.
Hence I spent a page arguing Dom is not a 'creative passer' in the mold of players like KDB or Ozil. The minutes from 40-70 today if we had better decisive passing we could have torn United open, but no one found a killer pass, not even Macca.

To be honest, Dom played right winger/midfielder all his career before us and despite him doing a good job as an 8 for us, I still think he's better off playing his best position. If Alonso comes he'll probably flourish in the inside forward role.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2321 on: March 17, 2024, 09:09:45 pm »
I don't think i've ever actually seen a good post from you myself, all you do is critique other posters.

Mainoo is a good player so what i said so while also simultaneously defending and praising Harvey Elliott, you're such a juvenile poster, the type we see on twitter with no objectivity or any understanding of the game.

;D I'm not in this to be some "objective, great unbiased fan" that's the whole fucking point. I'm glad I'm nothing like you.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2322 on: March 17, 2024, 09:12:26 pm »
Hence I spent a page arguing Dom is not a 'creative passer' in the mold of players like KDB or Ozil. The minutes from 40-70 today if we had better decisive passing we could have torn United open, but no one found a killer pass, not even Macca.

To be honest, Dom played right winger/midfielder all his career before us and despite him doing a good job as an 8 for us, I still think he's better off playing his best position. If Alonso comes he'll probably flourish in the inside forward role.

Why would anyone argue with that? Few are.

On your second point he can basically play as a wide 8 playing in the midfield three anyways.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2323 on: March 17, 2024, 09:13:20 pm »
;D I'm not in this to be some "objective, great unbiased fan" that's the whole fucking point. I'm glad I'm nothing like you.

I'm very biased, i'm just not a bellend who thinks were the only team with good players in the world.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2324 on: March 17, 2024, 09:16:53 pm »

It was frustrating watching his waste chance after chance in between the lines. Like I said, I'd start Elliott ahead of him. At least, he's more efficient in those spaces.

Online robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #2325 on: March 17, 2024, 09:17:17 pm »
Deserves more minutes after the injury to be properly judged on but he wasn't at the races today.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2326 on: March 17, 2024, 09:18:52 pm »

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2327 on: March 17, 2024, 09:21:13 pm »
;D

The best post i've seen from you, stick to emojis. :D

Offline kop306

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2328 on: March 17, 2024, 10:07:18 pm »
i thought sobo had a good game today

we lost the game when he went off

i was surprised jurgen didnt bring grav on and take one of the forwards off so we could control the midfield

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2329 on: March 17, 2024, 10:24:07 pm »
International break might be good for him, he'll play full games and be right on it physically once the PL resumes.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline rolla

• Main Stander
« Reply #2330 on: March 18, 2024, 06:44:18 am »
Came on here to say I thought he was one of our best and we got worse after his sub. Seems I missed something though?

Offline Kansti

• Legacy Fan
  • Stargazer
« Reply #2331 on: March 18, 2024, 07:12:05 am »
Wasn’t the worst, wasn’t the best. Been the case ever since his injury. Think the criticism stems from him coming off as confident and cocky in his interviews, which is a far cry from his performances.

Offline William Regal

• Kopite
« Reply #2332 on: March 18, 2024, 08:54:49 am »
Came on here to say I thought he was one of our best and we got worse after his sub. Seems I missed something though?

In total agreement, I thought he played well, we just didnt get the goal he threatened.  Thought we looked worse for all our substitutions yesterday

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #2333 on: March 18, 2024, 09:07:32 am »

Rusty as hell and not quite match fit, played well and had to come off i guess

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #2334 on: March 18, 2024, 09:44:00 am »
Oddly enough he got better the longer the game went on.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #2335 on: March 18, 2024, 10:18:04 am »
Yeah I thought it took him a while to get into the pace of the game (which I've thought about him on a few previous occasions, getting used to the PL maybe) but he grew into it and I thought we missed him when he went off.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline rolla

• Main Stander
« Reply #2336 on: March 18, 2024, 10:19:19 am »
Rusty as hell and not quite match fit, played well and had to come off i guess

I agree he seems a bit rusty on the ball, far from bad though.  Even when not at his own best he is still really important.  His running power is something else! I don't think it's a coincidence that we steamroll opposition midfield at about 20 minutes in when he plays. He's also still been a regular threat and contributing goals  and assists.

There was one time where he was cleaning up on our goal line behind Quansah, then what seemed like only a few seconds later he was running in behind their defence  attacking their 6 yard line, only for Mo to miss the pass.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #2337 on: March 18, 2024, 11:20:11 am »
I think Elliott is a real talent but for me him in a three with Endo and Macca just isn't athletic enough.

We were in total control until we took Szobo off. He is still coming back from injury and still rusty but until Jones is fit then Szobo needs to start for me.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2338 on: March 18, 2024, 11:31:41 am »
I think Elliott is a real talent but for me him in a three with Endo and Macca just isn't athletic enough.

We were in total control until we took Szobo off. He is still coming back from injury and still rusty but until Jones is fit then Szobo needs to start for me.

I think this is inarguably true although I’d love to see any of the ‘technical CM ultras’ chip in. Well I say ultras (plural), I basically just mean jack.

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
  • Darwin Nunez's lovechild
« Reply #2339 on: March 18, 2024, 12:13:37 pm »
Thought we struggled after he was subbed

Online lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #2340 on: March 18, 2024, 12:51:22 pm »
Would like to see his minutes prioritised for the Premier League. If he only has 60 mins in his legs, use them up in winning 3 points and use someone else in the Thursday games. Hopefully having Jones and Grav back can help us achieve this, as I see Szobo as a league winner for us, crucial to this late run-in.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #2341 on: March 18, 2024, 07:01:08 pm »
He works very hard but bar the first 2 months he hasn't been great on the ball.

People will point to the injuries but he looked spent by November, I remember the Arsenal home game and he failed to make so many easy passes in the final third it was infuriating.

He's clearly got it, but he wouldn't be in my first 11 over Jones.
:D

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2342 on: March 18, 2024, 07:06:34 pm »
He works very hard but bar the first 2 months he hasn't been great on the ball.

People will point to the injuries but he looked spent by November, I remember the Arsenal home game and he failed to make so many easy passes in the final third it was infuriating.

He's clearly got it, but he wouldn't be in my first 11 over Jones.
81st centile for progressive passes completed
98th centile for shot creating actions
89th centile successful take ons
98th centile progressive passes attempted
96th centile progressive carries

All this tells me he’s exceptionally good really.

And even more than this, the work he does to cover midfield and breaks from midfield is immense. 

Curtis is a totally different type of player. I’d have both myself.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2343 on: March 18, 2024, 09:41:05 pm »
Thought he did okay without doing anything exceptional, had more control with him on the pitch than off it.

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #2344 on: March 19, 2024, 11:39:11 pm »
What a signing. If there weren't still some rough edges to his play at his age, beside the obvious qualities, we wouldn't have been able to buy him in the first place. Think the sky's the limit with him going forward.

Offline William Regal

• Kopite
« Reply #2345 on: March 20, 2024, 11:25:49 am »
Having rewatched the game, it was a big turning point taking off Szoboszlai, his end product wasnt there but the number of times he got in behind man utds midfield and drove us 30 / 40 yards up the pitch on the counter.  When he went off that option between the lines and ball carrying counter went out of our game and we got penned in and played the ball 2 long from the back.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2346 on: March 31, 2024, 04:08:44 pm »
He's not been at his best (he was better in the second half) but that press!

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2347 on: March 31, 2024, 04:15:13 pm »
Really enjoyed his performance today. Shades of his early season form.

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #2348 on: March 31, 2024, 04:22:13 pm »
Fantastic 2nd half once we started actually giving him the ball
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #2349 on: March 31, 2024, 04:27:29 pm »
We basically never attacked on the left, so Szobo and Diaz were kind of lost in the first half.
In the second half they moved around more and then they got involved.

Offline ItzdoctorZ

• Main Stander
« Reply #2350 on: March 31, 2024, 04:29:35 pm »
Dunno if we watched the same game but he was not good for most of the game. Just kind of doing nothing.

Offline elkun

• Kopite
« Reply #2351 on: March 31, 2024, 04:30:17 pm »
Poor 1st half and a much better 2nd half

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2352 on: March 31, 2024, 04:32:33 pm »
We basically never attacked on the left, so Szobo and Diaz were kind of lost in the first half.
In the second half they moved around more and then they got involved.

Double whammy playing Gomez as a midfielder who lines up at left back, not only do we have no extra width, Dom isn't involved as much. It's a tactic that seems pointless to me.  Dom was pretty good in the second half when he was on the ball more.

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #2353 on: March 31, 2024, 04:33:17 pm »
Dunno if we watched the same game but he was not good for most of the game. Just kind of doing nothing.

Bit difficult when you're just an ornament and the team totally ignores you as in the first 45
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #2354 on: March 31, 2024, 04:36:42 pm »
Getting back at his best steadily but surely.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2355 on: March 31, 2024, 04:39:52 pm »

Nothing apart from being involved in both goals. Puts in a decent corner for the first, lovely "pre-assist" for the 2nd. Ideally could've had an assist of his own when he set Salah away who tamely passed it to the Brighton keeper.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2356 on: March 31, 2024, 05:20:11 pm »
Hockey assist and a half for the winner. There’s never so much space available to Macca and Salah without Szoboslai’s pass. It probably doesn’t ‘count’ as a creative pass because it was actually a cross or some such but it opened the whole pitch up.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2357 on: March 31, 2024, 05:21:01 pm »
He turned up in the second half.

We still have to remember that he's asked to play in a diffrent role to the one he plays for his country.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #2358 on: March 31, 2024, 05:23:45 pm »

He ran himself into the ground and pressed Brighton to death. He was excellent for me.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2359 on: March 31, 2024, 05:35:52 pm »
The energy was back