Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12304767 times)

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: So what are these Youth/Reserve lads like?
« Reply #93440 on: June 9, 2017, 07:16:13 pm »
A question for those ITKs on the academy players.  What's the story with Marley Blair, who's pic and bio only appeared on the LFC website half way through the season as a first year U18, but who is not listed on the scholars retained.   Just the usual mix up, or has the season not gone too well/he hasn't settled in well since his move to Liverpool?  Is he still with us?     

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93441 on: June 9, 2017, 08:04:53 pm »
A question for those ITKs on the academy players.  What's the story with Marley Blair, who's pic and bio only appeared on the LFC website half way through the season as a first year U18, but who is not listed on the scholars retained.   Just the usual mix up, or has the season not gone too well/he hasn't settled in well since his move to Liverpool?  Is he still with us?     

I might be wrong, but I think that he was on the match-day squad with the U-18's on a few occasions this season.

And his profile on the official side is still there.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/team/academy/player/marley-blair

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93442 on: June 11, 2017, 02:33:21 pm »
Liverpool U23s to join PSV Eindhoven and Rangers in pre-season tournament

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-u23s-join-psv-eindhoven-13169005

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93443 on: June 21, 2017, 03:09:32 pm »
Very impressive words from Tom Brewitt I think.  Good luck to him. 

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/academy/266499-lfc-taught-me-everything-and-the-door-is-always-open

Its been a bit quiet on here of late.  So what do others think the path is going to be for Solanke?  I read somewhere that he would start off in the U23s.  Sensible proposal that requires Solanke to show he can dominate those games - which I expect him to do.  But presumably he will be training with the firsts fairly quickly because Klopp will need to ingrain his way of playing into him and assess him.  Does he go on the first team tour?  If not to Hong Kong but maybe to Germany?     

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93444 on: June 21, 2017, 04:09:49 pm »
Very impressive words from Tom Brewitt I think.  Good luck to him. 

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/academy/266499-lfc-taught-me-everything-and-the-door-is-always-open

Its been a bit quiet on here of late.  So what do others think the path is going to be for Solanke?  I read somewhere that he would start off in the U23s.  Sensible proposal that requires Solanke to show he can dominate those games - which I expect him to do.  But presumably he will be training with the firsts fairly quickly because Klopp will need to ingrain his way of playing into him and assess him.  Does he go on the first team tour?  If not to Hong Kong but maybe to Germany?     

I think Solanke is nailed on for the tour and he'll get decent minutes pre season

Equally i think he will start in the U-23's but would expect him to be on the bench for the first team pretty quickly

League Cup and potentially European qualifier (dependant on oppo and state of tie) will be where we see him likely get some time i think

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93445 on: June 21, 2017, 05:43:19 pm »
Solanke will take Ings role initially you'd imagine.  U23s starter then cup minutes when needed.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93446 on: June 21, 2017, 10:40:35 pm »
I think he'll train with the first team full time from the off and play for the U23s. He'll certainly play a full part in pre-season with the first 11. He's in the same group as Trent and Woodburn. They'll be on the pre-season tour too.

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #93447 on: June 22, 2017, 07:34:05 am »
Steve Gerrard says that only World Class players will play for Liverpool:
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-news-latest-steven-gerrard-got-to-be-world-class-a7801581.html

(PS Jay Spearing wasn't)

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #93448 on: June 22, 2017, 08:25:16 am »
Solanke will take Ings role initially you'd imagine. 

I'm hoping Ings will take Ings role...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline fiveways

• Anny Roader
« Reply #93449 on: June 22, 2017, 08:44:33 am »
I'm hoping Ings will take Ings role...

be surprised if that happens - unfortunately, when he returns he will probably be a shadow of himself (not that we got to see much of him) or will continuously have niggling injuries - get shut and replace unfortunately - also unfortunately same applies to Studge - we need players taking up a place in the squad who can be relied on week in week out - consistency wins titles

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #93450 on: June 22, 2017, 09:16:10 am »
be surprised if that happens - unfortunately, when he returns he will probably be a shadow of himself (not that we got to see much of him) or will continuously have niggling injuries - get shut and replace unfortunately - also unfortunately same applies to Studge - we need players taking up a place in the squad who can be relied on week in week out - consistency wins titles

by all accounts fit and raring to go.....at least let him kick a ball in anger a couple of times before writing him off with your in-depth online diagnostics
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline fiveways

• Anny Roader
« Reply #93451 on: June 22, 2017, 10:47:36 am »
by all accounts fit and raring to go.....at least let him kick a ball in anger a couple of times before writing him off with your in-depth online diagnostics

thats good news indeed :-)

Online Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #93452 on: June 22, 2017, 01:12:22 pm »

Hahaha. "In-depth online diagnostics". :)

I hope he gets to show us what he has. When he did play for us he didn't look a poor choice for our tactics and Klopp seems to like him.

"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #93453 on: June 22, 2017, 01:13:14 pm »
Steve Gerrard says that only World Class players will play for Liverpool:
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-news-latest-steven-gerrard-got-to-be-world-class-a7801581.html

(PS Jay Spearing wasn't)

Appreciate aim of driving them forward, but presumably any intelligent academy player would be thinking most of the players in our squad are not world class by the normal definition of that phrase, which is something fairly narrow - I would say within top at least 5 (and perhaps 2/3) in that position in the world.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #93454 on: June 22, 2017, 05:20:31 pm »
Appreciate aim of driving them forward, but presumably any intelligent academy player would be thinking most of the players in our squad are not world class by the normal definition of that phrase, which is something fairly narrow - I would say within top at least 5 (and perhaps 2/3) in that position in the world.

Doesn't matter if the players now are world class, the lads coming through from the academy will need to be to break into the team. It's not enough to be as good as the guy ahead, you need to be far better to get his place.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93455 on: June 22, 2017, 11:44:36 pm »

Hahaha. "In-depth online diagnostics". :)

I hope he gets to show us what he has. When he did play for us he didn't look a poor choice for our tactics and Klopp seems to like him.
Yes Klopp liked him so much he didn't include him in one league match day squad before he was injured in late October. Instead he played in the league cup games and he didn't even start him there either!

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #93456 on: June 23, 2017, 12:29:05 am »
Doesn't matter if the players now are world class, the lads coming through from the academy will need to be to break into the team. It's not enough to be as good as the guy ahead, you need to be far better to get his place.

Yeh Yeh none of Fowler, Owen, Gerrard or Carra broke through as world class, but we can pretend

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #93457 on: June 23, 2017, 01:40:46 pm »
Yes Klopp liked him so much he didn't include him in one league match day squad before he was injured in late October. Instead he played in the league cup games and he didn't even start him there either!

But speaking on the news of Ings’ injury, Klopp revealed his admiration for the 24-year-old, hoping he would recover and recapture his form in a Liverpool shirt.

“To say we are gutted would be an understatement,” the manager said.

“He is such a great boy and has worked so hard that he deserves better luck than this.

“It is typical of Danny’s personality, on and off the pitch, that he picked up this injury to his knee when courageously trying to win the ball back for his team by making a tackle.

“But it is this same personality that means he will come back as good and as strong from this latest setback as he has done in the past.”

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93458 on: June 23, 2017, 04:59:52 pm »
We will still play 22 games in the Under-18 Premier League North. And we will also have the UEFA Youth League. That is quite a lot of games for that age group.

I think the FA Youth Cup was also mentioned. 

Against that the UEFA Youth League, if we qualify, is an U19 competition so some of the older group may be playing. 

So while this is a slightly older age group, this is an interesting post by @michaelbeale:

Here in Brazil the u20s would play 50 games minimum -definitely need to ensure we play more but clubs play a lot of games not advertised too. 

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #93459 on: June 23, 2017, 06:44:21 pm »
Danny Ings is not very good at football, even before consecutive knee injuries.

Solanke will deservedly jump ahead of him.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93460 on: June 24, 2017, 01:15:44 am »

But speaking on the news of Ings’ injury, Klopp revealed his admiration for the 24-year-old, hoping he would recover and recapture his form in a Liverpool shirt.

“To say we are gutted would be an understatement,” the manager said.

“He is such a great boy and has worked so hard that he deserves better luck than this.

“It is typical of Danny’s personality, on and off the pitch, that he picked up this injury to his knee when courageously trying to win the ball back for his team by making a tackle.

“But it is this same personality that means he will come back as good and as strong from this latest setback as he has done in the past.”

He is a good boy who works hard says Klopp. Maybe Klopp will get him to cut his garden! Because he doesn't say anything about him as a footballer.

Either way if he did I find it amazing that some people fans are still so gullible that they will believe whatever the manager says to the media ignoring the fact that it is all a game. I remember Klopp towards the end of 15/16 saying Ibe was a "big big talent" two months before he sold him. As Benitez said everything in football is a lie.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #93461 on: June 24, 2017, 07:27:25 pm »
He is a good boy who works hard says Klopp. Maybe Klopp will get him to cut his garden! Because he doesn't say anything about him as a footballer.

Either way if he did I find it amazing that some people fans are still so gullible that they will believe whatever the manager says to the media ignoring the fact that it is all a game. I remember Klopp towards the end of 15/16 saying Ibe was a "big big talent" two months before he sold him. As Benitez said everything in football is a lie.

Ok genius...for whatever reason the manager is obviously creating this elaborate smokescreen of   praising him at every opportunity, but secretly thinking he's as shite as you patently do ...you were slagging him in his own thread thread too so you've made your point....I guess we'll just have to see how it all pans out.....and then you can come back on here and apologize to everyone for wasting their time

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93462 on: June 24, 2017, 09:22:14 pm »
The manager would praise every and any member of the squad if asked. Klopp heaped praise on Flanagan when he returned from injury but he still ended up getting shipped out on loan and looking a bit shit while there. He's a motivator, that's all there is to it. Klopp would never shit on a player in public like that dickhead Mourinho but that doesn't mean that difficult conversations about the futures of various fringe players aren't happening behind closed doors.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93463 on: June 29, 2017, 12:41:07 pm »
Ok genius...for whatever reason the manager is obviously creating this elaborate smokescreen of   praising him at every opportunity, but secretly thinking he's as shite as you patently do ...you were slagging him in his own thread thread too so you've made your point....I guess we'll just have to see how it all pans out.....and then you can come back on here and apologize to everyone for wasting their time
Except he's not secretly thinking he is shite! It's there for all to see by the fact he was not picking him for games. He wasn't even making the squad and he was fit as he was playing for the U23 team, he played the pre season friendlies and one game at the end of the 15/16 season.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 12:44:15 pm by dakid »

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #93464 on: June 29, 2017, 12:53:50 pm »
Klopp might not rate him as highly as he does the other strikers but I imagine he's saying what he has because he can see him being an option at some point during the season, like he could have been last year. Ferguson used to have loads of these players knocking about, and Wenger early on, that wouldn't have as important figures at the club but they end up contributing at some stage of the season.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #93465 on: June 29, 2017, 12:57:55 pm »
Except he's not secretly thinking he is shite! It's there for all to see by the fact he was not picking him for games. He wasn't even making the squad and he was fit as he was playing for the U23 team, he played the pre season friendlies and one game at the end of the 15/16 season.

At the end of October before the EFL Cup game against Spurs, Klopp was asked about Ings. He talked about how he had been in the U23 squad to get ready for the first team. He had a brief cameo against Derby in the previous game but now, with another 2 U23 games under his belt since then he was starting to look ready. Had played about half an hour against Spurs. A few days later he got injured again.

So there was never really a point where he was fit and looking match sharp last season. Likewise next season, it will be realistically about December where I suspect Ings will be "match ready" for Premier League football even though he is probably "fit to play" now.

I personally would get rid of him. He was a squad option forward for us who had a fight on to play for us up against more naturally talented players in Firmino, Sturridge & Origi. We can add Solanke & Brewster to that list now. Plus he has had 2 ACL´s which, no matter who you are, will take something out of your game. If nothing else, it can be a problem psychologically to get over. Will you stretch and turn and like before knowing your knee could go again? This held Lucas back for a while after his injury. That little burst of acceleration he lost even more so.

So I would loan him out at the very least for his sake as well as ours. But to suggest Klopp thought he was "shite" and "never played him" when he was available is far from the "fact " you suggest it is.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 01:00:07 pm by BabuYagu »
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93466 on: June 30, 2017, 11:16:14 am »
Surprised we turned down the checkatrade trophy this year. Given lack of competitive games for u-23 and u-18 thought we'd have entered it this time round

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
« Reply #93467 on: June 30, 2017, 11:56:30 am »
Madger Gomes released and gone to Leeds

Offline Modroxter

• Main Stander
« Reply #93468 on: June 30, 2017, 01:02:37 pm »
Madger Gomes released and gone to Leeds

Got to trust klopp and his team have checked him out thoroughly and think he is better off elsewhere. Good luck to the boy i no he did have some injuries, hope it works out for him and that we have a clause for buyback.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #93469 on: June 30, 2017, 01:55:02 pm »
Got to trust klopp and his team have checked him out thoroughly and think he is better off elsewhere. Good luck to the boy i no he did have some injuries, hope it works out for him and that we have a clause for buyback.

I don´t think there will be any clauses. His contract expired and we decided against offering him a new one.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93470 on: June 30, 2017, 01:55:14 pm »

The player was released not sold, so no chance of a buy back.  But I always hope those released do well. 

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93471 on: June 30, 2017, 04:34:02 pm »

Wasn't two acls, was an acl and some knee cartilage issue, right?

Edit: and the other leg this time
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 04:36:11 pm by SwordInYourGut »

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #93472 on: June 30, 2017, 05:01:55 pm »
Lloyd Jones charged with assault from his time on loan at Swindon Town

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpool-fc-player-charged-assault-13262782
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #93473 on: June 30, 2017, 05:09:18 pm »
Wasn't two acls, was an acl and some knee cartilage issue, right?

Edit: and the other leg this time

You're right. I thought it was his other ACL. Regardless, missing 2 years of football with a serious injury to both knees takes some getting back from. Even more so when you have more naturally talented players vying for your position in Origi, Sturridge, Solanke. Speaking from the heart, I root for the guy and hope he makes it. The head says he has a massive fight on just to be 4th choice for his position right now.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #93474 on: June 30, 2017, 08:06:39 pm »
He's probably in a better position given he's come through his formative years as pro so he'll know what's needed but it is without doubt a huge task. Just thinking of it reminds me Francisco Duran who was ridiculously talented but he knee injury after knee injury and it ruined his career.

Offline Maldini

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93475 on: July 2, 2017, 08:40:22 pm »
Michael Beale has left Sao Paolo already for personal reasons. Wonder if there's a job for him back with us.

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #93476 on: July 2, 2017, 09:18:18 pm »
He's probably in a better position given he's come through his formative years as pro so he'll know what's needed but it is without doubt a huge task. Just thinking of it reminds me Francisco Duran who was ridiculously talented but he knee injury after knee injury and it ruined his career.

I was looking at Ings best season at Burnley last night and in terms of numbers, this is it.
Ings 14/15    - 11 goals, 4 assists in 37 games (3122 minutes).   1-in-3,2 goalscorer.   G+A/90 = 0,432

Now compare that to Origi from last season.
Origi    - 11 goals, 4 assists in 43 games (2081 minutes).   1-in-2,1 goalscorer.   G+A/90 = 0,649

Origi, in a season where people are saying he has failed to kick on, is already 50% more productive that Ings was at his best before the injury. Hard to see Ings getting above Origi at this point and any minutes he does play just takes pitch time away from Origi or other talents we hope to kick on like Solanke/Brewster.

In the cold, harsh world of football management it would be hard to justify keeping Ings around. I like the guy though and would like to see him make it. Not sure that will be at the highest level though. I would loan him out and see where his performance levels are at by the end of the season. Certainly cannot see him getting enough minutes here to come back from two serious injuries next season.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93477 on: July 3, 2017, 07:37:41 am »
I was looking at Ings best season at Burnley last night and in terms of numbers, this is it.
Ings 14/15    - 11 goals, 4 assists in 37 games (3122 minutes).   1-in-3,2 goalscorer.   G+A/90 = 0,432

Now compare that to Origi from last season.
Origi    - 11 goals, 4 assists in 43 games (2081 minutes).   1-in-2,1 goalscorer.   G+A/90 = 0,649

Origi, in a season where people are saying he has failed to kick on, is already 50% more productive that Ings was at his best before the injury. Hard to see Ings getting above Origi at this point and any minutes he does play just takes pitch time away from Origi or other talents we hope to kick on like Solanke/Brewster.

In the cold, harsh world of football management it would be hard to justify keeping Ings around. I like the guy though and would like to see him make it. Not sure that will be at the highest level though. I would loan him out and see where his performance levels are at by the end of the season. Certainly cannot see him getting enough minutes here to come back from two serious injuries next season.

But can you properly compare by simple stats when Ings was playing for a much weaker team?  I hardly think Burnley would have been attacking or having most of the possession.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93478 on: July 3, 2017, 09:51:14 am »
Michael Beale has left Sao Paolo already for personal reasons. Wonder if there's a job for him back with us.

That is a pity for him.

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #93479 on: July 3, 2017, 07:47:03 pm »
That is a pity for him.

I suspect his family hasn´t settled well in Brazil, it´s not easy.