Poll

RAWK All-Time Greatest Movie w/ Immunity - Finals (Chakan v Trend)

Chakan
10 (47.6%)
Trend
11 (52.4%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: April 2, 2020, 09:48:38 pm

Author Topic: RAWK All-Time Greatest Movie Draft w/ Immunity Voting Thread (Finals)  (Read 3014 times)

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: RAWK All-Time Greatest Movie Draft w/ Immunity Voting Thread (Finals)
« Reply #40 on: April 3, 2020, 10:08:31 am »
In fact what movies didn't quite make your cut?

In the Action genre I so nearly went for "Commando".  My favourite Arnie movie. Packed with ace one liners.

Also fancied "The Warriors" in the action or suspense category.

Both movies actually featured David Patrick Kelly as a despicable character. Sully and Luther respectively.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #42 on: April 3, 2020, 10:59:48 am »

I think you and I could host a very nice film night  :D  Forgot to say how much I loved your Blazing Saddles pick. First time I watched it I was way too young and half the jokes flew over my head, but it was still one of my favourite ever films and and remains so today. Can't believe it's only a 7.7 on imdb.

My personal biggest miss - blocked by the dastardly Trent changing the music category - was the Breakfast Club. Actually wanted Ferris Bueller before it, but I'd have happily taken either as my favourite movie. John Hughes was a genius.

"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: April 3, 2020, 11:19:48 am »
I think you and I could host a very nice film night  :D  Forgot to say how much I loved your Blazing Saddles pick. First time I watched it I was way too young and half the jokes flew over my head, but it was still one of my favourite ever films and and remains so today. Can't believe it's only a 7.7 on imdb.

I would have chosen Young Frankenstein or High Anxiety if Saddles had gone  Mel Brooks is a genius

Just watched the Werewolf scene from High Anxiety and I've got tears from laughing.  Harvey Korman (Hedley Lamarr in BS) is one of the most sly but funny comedy villain actors ever. :)

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #44 on: April 3, 2020, 12:48:07 pm »
There were a few I was coveting as well :)

M.A.S.H - with Donald Sutherland and Elliot Gould - Robert Altman's best imo
Midnight Express - answers the question from Airplane (Billy, you ever been in Turkish Prison?)
Fletch - 1980's sarcasm in its purest and silliest form
Gandhi - Attenborough masterclass
So I Married an Axe Murderer - Off beat gem of a comedy
Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid - Old fashioned western
Animal House - Dean Wormer alone is enough for picking this move - "Fat drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son".
Ordinary People - another Donald Sutherland flick, but this one gets you in the soul - losing a child, brother never has been depicted like that - before or since
The Fugitive - liked this from the start
Fargo - eccentric mystery with some fantastic characters
Sideways - Wine Industry boozer movie
Slumdog Millionaire - not to be confused with Jared Kursher's new appearance in Dirty Money on Netflix called Slumlord Millionaire
Boondock Saints

Just a few to tickle your hamate bone...

« Last Edit: April 3, 2020, 03:49:10 pm by Trendisdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: April 3, 2020, 03:47:09 pm »
Agreed mate.. too many docs, too little time!  You are right to have big expectations.

Maybe we could do a documentary draft sometime in the future --- you'll get my gems then :)

But as someone who taught family finance at University during the Fin Crisis -- what Ferguson did to power here (financial power) was transformative.
A movie does not form policy, but it does foment anger from which people put pressure on different systems.  One of the best parts of Inside Job is how it shows the Economics profession (how easily they were bought off).
Economics is a social science but under the Neoliberal order it became gospel under Greenspan and Bernanke --- and the Federal Reserve group of private bankers.

I used the movie for my courses and it does a good job of helping people understand how financial power works at each stage.  But I digress, Robbie. 

Thank you for your post mate.
Thanks Trend, very interesting, will give that a watch soon

Welcome any other recommendations too

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #46 on: April 3, 2020, 04:40:38 pm »
In fact what movies didn't quite make your cut?

In the Action genre I so nearly went for "Commando".  My favourite Arnie movie. Packed with ace one liners.
It's the Arnie fan's Arnie film, I'd have probably voted for it by default every time. My only real regrets are not having Goodfellas as the Wild Card and not picking a better known documentary. Could maybe have had Team America as the musical too.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/SsPrQgTO0HU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/SsPrQgTO0HU</a>

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: April 3, 2020, 06:57:11 pm »
Did any of you buggers select Snatch in any of the previous rounds for anything?

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: April 3, 2020, 07:53:58 pm »
Did any of you buggers select Snatch in any of the previous rounds for anything?
no, dreadful film

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #49 on: April 3, 2020, 08:00:45 pm »

In fact, we made it clear that there would be a match penalty for picking such shite...  :)

Eel Lobo might have gone for it though?

« Last Edit: April 3, 2020, 08:22:03 pm by Trendisdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: April 3, 2020, 09:20:58 pm »
no, dreadful film

Wash your mouth out with soap.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan