Poll

RAWK All-Time Greatest Movie w/ Immunity - Round 1 Matches (Games 1-4)

Mikey LFC
12 (13.2%)
Samie
12 (13.2%)
Chakan
11 (12.1%)
Lastrador
11 (12.1%)
Max Power
7 (7.7%)
Robbie Red
16 (17.6%)
Buck Pete
10 (11%)
Sheer Mag
12 (13.2%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: March 24, 2020, 11:16:52 pm

Author Topic: RAWK All-Time Greatest Movie Draft w/ Immunity Voting Thread (Games 1-4)  (Read 4938 times)

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
Can't bear Simon Pegg, have to declare that straight away, so Max on a sticky wicket from the off. Haven't seen Oldboy, or the Xmas musical. Don't need to when up against Deerhunter or Fiddler on the roof. One flew over would have been my first pick too, Robbie and Raging Bull deffo my first sports pick. 7-3-1,Robbie.  Psycho, Terminator and Graves are boss picks for Max
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Sheer and Pete just as close as Chakan and Lastrador which again comes down to the wire. More draws in this one. Stand outs on each side for me were Good fellah's for Sheer and When the Wind blows and Rocky Horror for Pete so 2-1-8

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
Samie me arl mate, after I was rumbled cheated out of my first draft win. You were there to support me, pick me up, dust me off and tell me to get back in the saddle. I'll never forget that, mate. You were my rock! Thanks, mate

Mikey 7-4

Hard done by :)  ------>  Nice burn VBobbyG

THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Blade Runner and Spotlight are great picks.

Even though Lastrador has some great films - Grand Budapest Hotel, Se7en, There Will be Blood - Chakan's list is pretty much what I might have picked (Star Wars stuff aside). Full Metal Jacket, American History X, Pan's Labryinth, LA Confidential, The Exorcist are awesome films.

Voted for Robbie in his match up but that one was really tight, especially because Max picked Four Lions which everyone should watch.

Sheer, I did like your match up, Goodfellas pretty much beats every move and Aliens is better than Robocop, I voted for Pete. I've seen both Requiem for a Dream and           Citizen Kane and Requiem stayed with me more. I understand how influential Citizen Kane was but that's just a personal choice. Reservoir Dogs (I like to think you're taking the piss with your opinion on this, yeah it's a crime film but like most Tarantino films, it's unlike most crime films) is far superior to Trainspotting. Train to Busan is excellent too, yeah, it's a zombie film but like the best films, it's about something more than zombies killing people (although that part is great too), it did quite emotional at the end.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
Can't bear Simon Pegg,

Agree, one of the least funny "comedians" ever, I have a deep hatred of Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead, both have no humour and are deeply annoying.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Can't bear Simon Pegg, have to declare that straight away, so Max on a sticky wicket from the off. Haven't seen Oldboy, or the Xmas musical. Don't need to when up against Deerhunter or Fiddler on the roof. One flew over would have been my first pick too, Robbie and Raging Bull deffo my first sports pick. 7-3-1,Robbie.  Psycho, Terminator and Graves are boss picks for Max

Agree, one of the least funny "comedians" ever, I have a deep hatred of Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead, both have no humour and are deeply annoying.

Yall' need Jesus in your life.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
Knocked out by Landslide. What is a man supposed to be doing for rest of this quarantine.  :'( :hally

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Knocked out by Landslide. What is a man supposed to be doing for rest of this quarantine.  :'( :hally

Talk some shit, get immunity and come back like a raging case of Herpes...  Or enjoy the shit show :)
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
I thought your grill was great mate: T2, Oldboy, Four Lions, Psycho, Grave of Fireflies, Nightmare (b) Xmas, all great movies and some of my all-time favs. I don't know why there was such a big margin between you and Robbie, who also has a great grill with NCFOM as the best movie of the tie. I thought it was extremely close but you just edge it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 03:46:53 am by Lastrador »

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
Blade Runner and Spotlight are great picks.

Even though Lastrador has some great films - Grand Budapest Hotel, Se7en, There Will be Blood - Chakan's list is pretty much what I might have picked (Star Wars stuff aside). Full Metal Jacket, American History X, Pan's Labryinth, LA Confidential, The Exorcist are awesome films.

Voted for Robbie in his match up but that one was really tight, especially because Max picked Four Lions which everyone should watch.

Sheer, I did like your match up, Goodfellas pretty much beats every move and Aliens is better than Robocop, I voted for Pete. I've seen both Requiem for a Dream and           Citizen Kane and Requiem stayed with me more. I understand how influential Citizen Kane was but that's just a personal choice. Reservoir Dogs (I like to think you're taking the piss with your opinion on this, yeah it's a crime film but like most Tarantino films, it's unlike most crime films) is far superior to Trainspotting. Train to Busan is excellent too, yeah, it's a zombie film but like the best films, it's about something more than zombies killing people (although that part is great too), it did quite emotional at the end.
Thought you were a hipster brother.  :'(
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 03:55:56 am by Lastrador »

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
I think more people should watch Vertigo. I know it's old an all, but it's an absolute masterpiece. I watched it recently and it blew me away, went straight to my top 10.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Not really. Reservoir Dogs is a great debut with some cracking lines and a good cast, but I wouldn't say it's different: the entire movie is a HUGE and direct rip off of a Hong Kong film called City of Fire. While it was obviously fresh in terms of western cinema at the time, I do actually think in 2020 it feels a lot like a stage play, that a lot of the characters talk and act like criminal cliches, and that Jackie Brown and Pulp Fiction have aged better.

Don't get me wrong, it's a lot better than anything Tarantino's done since the first half of Kill Bill, but I don't think you can put it on the same level as Trainspotting, which is hardcore without being exploitative, has a truckload of memorable scenes and visuals, and a setting and social group that is simultaneously alien to what most people know while feeling entirely real. That's a really hard trick to pull off, in addition to being a superb adaptation of what was considered an unfilmable book.

For me, it has more depth. For example, while they're both psychopaths, Begbie feels much more like a recognisable three-dimensional character with understandable motivations than Mr Blonde, who only exists as a handle for Tarantino to do the 'cool' dancing and ear-cutting scene. When Sickboy is talking about Sean Connery and his unifying theory of life, he's also displaying a personal trait that informs his character's actions in the film. The Madonna conversation at the start of Reservoir Dogs is just Tarantino riffing on something he and Roger Avary were probably talking about at the video store once, like how Top Gun is a gay love story. It's a nice few lines of dialogue but that's all.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
If you have wives, you might summon them hither or forever hold your piece :)

-- Management
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Trend best make matches only one day to vote from now on. People have lost interest already.  ;D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Trend best make matches only one day to vote from now on. People have lost interest already.  ;D

Got more votes on your matches - than the last two drafts.  Stay focused.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
There's not been any votes in this thread since yesterday lunch time.  ;D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
There's not been any votes in this thread since yesterday lunch time.  ;D

Then your wives have spoken mate...  quantity over trickle down mate.

Samie, if you want to speed things up, you could send out a message to the other 14 participants and ask them if they want to stop round 1 here by 8 hours and move straight to Pelanties and Immunity voting. 

I'm okay with it, if we are all on board.  But the last few drafts, we had very low numbers of voting totals --- my goal was to increase that which we did.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 03:50:33 pm by Trendisdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Put these voting threads in the Film thread then.  :wave

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Put these voting threads in the Film thread then.  :wave

Already did mate....
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Not really. Reservoir Dogs is a great debut with some cracking lines and a good cast, but I wouldn't say it's different: the entire movie is a HUGE and direct rip off of a Hong Kong film called City of Fire. While it was obviously fresh in terms of western cinema at the time, I do actually think in 2020 it feels a lot like a stage play, that a lot of the characters talk and act like criminal cliches, and that Jackie Brown and Pulp Fiction have aged better.

Funny, I saw Reservoir Dogs again late last year and had thought it had aged at all. I know that Tarantino was hugely influenced by Asian cinema and I haven't see City of Fire but yeah, it was different to Western films at the time it came out.

Don't get me wrong, it's a lot better than anything Tarantino's done since the first half of Kill Bill, but I don't think you can put it on the same level as Trainspotting, which is hardcore without being exploitative, has a truckload of memorable scenes and visuals, and a setting and social group that is simultaneously alien to what most people know while feeling entirely real. That's a really hard trick to pull off, in addition to being a superb adaptation of what was considered an unfilmable book.

For me, it has more depth. For example, while they're both psychopaths, Begbie feels much more like a recognisable three-dimensional character with understandable motivations than Mr Blonde, who only exists as a handle for Tarantino to do the 'cool' dancing and ear-cutting scene. When Sickboy is talking about Sean Connery and his unifying theory of life, he's also displaying a personal trait that informs his character's actions in the film. The Madonna conversation at the start of Reservoir Dogs is just Tarantino riffing on something he and Roger Avary were probably talking about at the video store once, like how Top Gun is a gay love story. It's a nice few lines of dialogue but that's all.

It's funny how different people see things differently, I've always thought Begbie was pretty one dimensional and I don't even disagree with your opinion on Mr. Blonde. Dialogue's a huge part of Tarantino's films but the way his characters talk (not just in this but most of his others) is a lot different to most other films, where it's used to propel the plot forward but I'd argue the scene at the beginning where they're talking about Madonna is also used to show the type of character Mr. Pink is, for example, where he's talking about not tipping. And some of the character's responses to that likewise. I think he goes further than some cool lines of dialogue.

I will say that I think Tarantino's a brilliant director, unlike you, some of the stuff he's done post Kill Bill, especially Inglorious Basterds and The Hateful Eight are is almost as good, if not on par with his earlier films. I'm also not sure if saying a film is like a stage play is actually a criticism, I'd say it's pretty difficult to hold people's attention when they're watching films like that, unlike the more visceral thrills like Trainspotting (that's not a criticism either, Trainspotting uses it's medium in a more visceral way than Reservoir Dogs does).
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Unless you have a vote in your pocket --- it goes to pelanties in 20 minutes :)
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN: