Author Topic: New laptop advice  (Read 172274 times)

Online jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
Re: New laptop advice
« Reply #1040 on: June 7, 2023, 02:18:42 pm »
How do you feel like refurbished units go compared to new ones?  The spec difference is obviously higher with refurbs, but I've felt like there's more reassurance with a new-from-factory computer.

I had a refurb from Dell many years ago and it was fine, no issues with it at all and it looked as new.  Depending where you buy from then a lot of the refurbs still give you 12 months warranty and some are just customer returns etc.  I'd avoid the ones off ebay that only give you 3 months guarantee, but buying from more established retailers will be sound.  Always a good idea to buy things like this with a credit card as well if you have one as you'll have more protection if anything does go wrong.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1041 on: June 7, 2023, 02:51:51 pm »
My laptop is in need of repair, think it's an issue with the ribbon cable as my screen has pink tint on 3 quarters of the screen, is it worth repairing my laptop ot buying a brand new one, i've seen one i like the look of  in Argos which is

ASUS VivoBook 17 17.3in i3 8GB 256GB Laptop - Silver for £450

Specs are

General features:

Size H2.14, W40.6, D25.6cm.
Weight 2.3kg.
CPU, Memory and Operating System:

Intel Core i3 - 1115G4 processor.
Dual core processor.
3GHz processor speed with a burst speed of 4.1GHz.
8GB RAM DDR4.
256GB SSD storage.
Windows 11 Home.
Display features:

17.3 inch screen.
Full HD Display.
Resolution 1920 x 1080 pixels.
Refresh rate60Hz.
DVD optical drives:

Disc drive not included.
Graphics:

Intel UHD Graphics .
Shared graphics card.
Interfaces and connectivity:

2 USB 2.0 ports.
1 USB 3.2 port.
1 USB Type-C port.
1 HDMI port.
Headphones jack.
Bluetooth.
Wi-Fi enabled.
Multimedia features:

HD webcam.
Built-in mic.
Backlit keyboard.
SonicMaster sound system.
30 days Microsoft Office.

General information:

Manufacturer's 1 year guarantee.

Is it worth buying this one if i can't repair my current laptop, although i'd rather get my laptop repaired?

Or would i be better off buying a tablet, as most of the stuff i use my laptop for i can buy & use a tablet instead?
« Last Edit: June 7, 2023, 02:55:27 pm by Statto Red »
#Sausages

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1042 on: June 7, 2023, 11:20:34 pm »
My laptop is in need of repair, think it's an issue with the ribbon cable as my screen has pink tint on 3 quarters of the screen, is it worth repairing my laptop ot buying a brand new one, i've seen one i like the look of  in Argos which is

ASUS VivoBook 17 17.3in i3 8GB 256GB Laptop - Silver for £450

Specs are

General features:

Size H2.14, W40.6, D25.6cm.
Weight 2.3kg.
CPU, Memory and Operating System:

Intel Core i3 - 1115G4 processor.
Dual core processor.
3GHz processor speed with a burst speed of 4.1GHz.
8GB RAM DDR4.
256GB SSD storage.
Windows 11 Home.
Display features:

17.3 inch screen.
Full HD Display.
Resolution 1920 x 1080 pixels.
Refresh rate60Hz.
DVD optical drives:

Disc drive not included.
Graphics:

Intel UHD Graphics .
Shared graphics card.
Interfaces and connectivity:

2 USB 2.0 ports.
1 USB 3.2 port.
1 USB Type-C port.
1 HDMI port.
Headphones jack.
Bluetooth.
Wi-Fi enabled.
Multimedia features:

HD webcam.
Built-in mic.
Backlit keyboard.
SonicMaster sound system.
30 days Microsoft Office.

General information:

Manufacturer's 1 year guarantee.

Is it worth buying this one if i can't repair my current laptop, although i'd rather get my laptop repaired?

Or would i be better off buying a tablet, as most of the stuff i use my laptop for i can buy & use a tablet instead?

If that's all you use it for then just get a tablet, could wait for the next Amazon sale & get the HD10 (were £109 last month), cracking little things if you're not too bothered about the play store.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #1043 on: June 8, 2023, 04:37:44 pm »
How do you feel like refurbished units go compared to new ones?  The spec difference is obviously higher with refurbs, but I've felt like there's more reassurance with a new-from-factory computer.

I buy quite a bit of refurb stuff. Few years ago I picked up a 2011 imac, full HD 27" screen, added a SSD and some extra RAM and it runs brilliantly. Picked it up from Ebay for £120 and spent about £70 on it.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1044 on: June 8, 2023, 09:35:41 pm »
Had a word with a mate of mine who has bit more knowledge, showed him my laptop, he thinks it's the LED screen thats gone rather cable ribbon.
#Sausages

Online CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1045 on: June 8, 2023, 09:46:19 pm »
I had a refurb from Dell many years ago and it was fine, no issues with it at all and it looked as new.  Depending where you buy from then a lot of the refurbs still give you 12 months warranty and some are just customer returns etc.  I'd avoid the ones off ebay that only give you 3 months guarantee, but buying from more established retailers will be sound.  Always a good idea to buy things like this with a credit card as well if you have one as you'll have more protection if anything does go wrong.
I buy quite a bit of refurb stuff. Few years ago I picked up a 2011 imac, full HD 27" screen, added a SSD and some extra RAM and it runs brilliantly. Picked it up from Ebay for £120 and spent about £70 on it.
Cheers lads, I have a decent amount of confidence upgrading certain items but not others so it's as much a question of how competent am I if it goes seriously tits up!

Most likely going to keep my ageing one for now and look at building a desktop for myself.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1046 on: July 31, 2023, 09:31:32 pm »
The missus is after a laptop, she will use it mainly for excel and browsing so was going to get a refurbished one, would this be a decent buy

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285392404358?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=cK5bp7rPQSW&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=ZB-sJSqMT9m&var=587298741082&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #1047 on: August 1, 2023, 04:29:23 pm »
The missus is after a laptop, she will use it mainly for excel and browsing so was going to get a refurbished one, would this be a decent buy

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285392404358?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=cK5bp7rPQSW&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=ZB-sJSqMT9m&var=587298741082&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
It reviewed very well 6 years ago.
https://uk.pcmag.com/laptops/90910/lenovo-thinkpad-t470
Quote from: PC Mag
The Lenovo ThinkPad T470 exemplifies the mainstream business laptop, with a no-nonsense body, manageable weight, excellent keyboard, dual pointing devices, and long battery life.
Personally I would never go refurnished, especially not from ebay. Appreciate you get more spec for your money going that route, but tech does degrade, buying something newer but less powerful, for similar money would always be my preferred option, especially when your requirements are so minimal.

Not endorsing/promoting this laptop but its an example of a laptop made by the same company, for around the same price point (has £100 off), and will obviously be brand new.

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/lenovo-ideapad-i1-14-laptop-intel-celeron-128-gb-emmc-blue-10240554.html

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1048 on: August 1, 2023, 05:14:44 pm »
Agreed, seller refurbished for me is one to avoid. Manufacturer refurbished usually a much safer bet as more likely to be a new laptop that was delivered with a hardware or cosmetic issue that has been resolved by replacing the affected part.

T470 likely to be an ex-public sector user laptop that’s been hoofed around and it’ll show.

Online bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #1049 on: August 2, 2023, 02:45:31 pm »
DROP TABLE 'Voyager'
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1050 on: September 22, 2023, 10:22:44 am »
Having previously posted another laptop issue in the ask Rawk thread, I was advised to try here.  My previous issue was that it wouldn’t switch on, I eventually figured this was a memory issue when it eventually did turn on a I moved a load of stuff to an external hard drive and it seemed to work.

Now it won’t charge,  the orange charging light comes is working and comes on and holds a solid light but it’s power doesn’t boost. I’ve tried doing a full reset but there wasn’t enough battery to complete it. If I charge it for ages when it’s switched off. It may occasionally go from 0% to 2%, but generally it doesn’t do anything
I’ve also tried using various sockets with same results.

It’s an Asus laptop bought off Amazon.

Do you think it’s the charger or the laptop?
Any advice on fixing the problem

I don’t want to buy a new charger if that’s not the issue.

Forgot to mention the white power light does come on and sometimes it will give me a few minutes off. Use and sometimes it’s a few seconds
« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 10:25:37 am by Kenny's Jacket »
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1051 on: September 22, 2023, 10:27:34 am »
Is it on and working with the charger plugged in? If so, likely to be the battery is dead - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/caring-for-your-battery-in-windows-2db3e37f-5e7d-488e-9086-ed15320519e4

They used to slot in and out easily enough but if it's fixed, then bit more faff but will be able to replace it, places like iFixIt have articles on a lot of models.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1052 on: September 22, 2023, 10:33:02 am »
Is it on and working with the charger plugged in? If so, likely to be the battery is dead - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/caring-for-your-battery-in-windows-2db3e37f-5e7d-488e-9086-ed15320519e4

They used to slot in and out easily enough but if it's fixed, then bit more faff but will be able to replace it, places like iFixIt have articles on a lot of models.
Thanks Claire
That situation happens occasionally but after a few minutes it dies when still plugged in.   Given that info could it still be the battery?
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1053 on: September 22, 2023, 10:35:10 am »
Not if it's plugged in, no, it should ignore the battery when plugged in. Do you not have another charger to try? If it's USB-C could take it to a repair shop and see if they'll let you test it before buying a new one.

Though saying that, the port could be fucked as well. I'd try the charger on something else if you can.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1054 on: September 22, 2023, 10:51:32 am »
Ok thanks so we are ruling out the battery

My understanding of a usb-c is thst it’s the type of thing used on a phone ?

The charger is a black box connected to a plug with with a protruding  metal nozzle that goes inside the laptop.  There isn’t another device I can think of that the charger would work on ?

Cheers Claire

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1055 on: September 22, 2023, 11:15:12 am »
Ah okay, chargers have been standardised now to use USB-C but I can't think when that happened, sounds like this is from before that.

Though you said it charges a bit, and I can't think why a broken charger would work for a bit and then conk out, they normally go dead dead. Could be the port, have a look and see if there's any dust or that or if it's loose.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1056 on: September 22, 2023, 01:01:03 pm »
I've had an Asus laptop that did this, it was the charger that was faulty.

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #1057 on: September 22, 2023, 01:36:24 pm »
My experience of Asus laptops is the charger port is a crap design and eventually doesn't hold the actual plug in.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1058 on: September 22, 2023, 03:09:56 pm »
I’ve tried blowing and wiping the hole and the charging nozzle but it’s still fucked
I’ve just re-orded the same laptop from Amazon so I will try the charger in the old laptop to see if it was actually the charger

Thanks for the advice  :wave

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1059 on: September 22, 2023, 04:54:28 pm »
That’s like buying a new TV to check if the HDMI cable is faulty :D

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #1060 on: September 22, 2023, 05:02:01 pm »

Kenny's got a system. Don't fuck with the system... :D
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1061 on: September 22, 2023, 05:06:08 pm »
I’ve tried blowing and wiping the hole....
What have a stumbled onto here ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1062 on: September 22, 2023, 05:32:15 pm »
I’ve tried blowing and wiping the hole and the charging nozzle but it’s still fucked
I’ve just re-orded the same laptop from Amazon so I will try the charger in the old laptop to see if it was actually the charger

Thanks for the advice  :wave

The joy of Amazons free returns, if it works the new charger was faulty  ;D

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1063 on: September 22, 2023, 05:33:18 pm »
The joy of Amazons free returns, if it works the new charger was faulty  ;D
If the new charger works, keep it...stick the old one in with the new laptop and send it all back ;)

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1064 on: September 22, 2023, 05:35:23 pm »
If the new charger works, keep it...stick the old one in with the new laptop and send it all back ;)

They will have a flood of faulty 4k max sticks when the new one comes out  ;D

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1065 on: September 22, 2023, 05:46:24 pm »
Kenny's got a system. Don't fuck with the system... :D

It’s not as daft as it sounds, if I bought just a new charger and it was the laptop, then I’ve wasted £30 on a charger and I still need a laptop

Now I might have 2 laptops,  and a charger that fits both, so I’ll just put the new one away until the old one is completely fucked.    Smart

« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 09:20:59 pm by Kenny's Jacket »

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1066 on: September 22, 2023, 06:09:05 pm »
What have a stumbled onto here ;D ;D ;D ;D

;D cleanliness is next to godliness

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #1067 on: September 22, 2023, 06:24:43 pm »
It’s not as daft as it sounds, if I bought just a new charger and it was the laptop, then I’ve wasted £30 on a charger and I still need a laptop

Now I might have 2 laptops,  and a charger that fits both, so I’ll just put the new one away until the new one is completely fucked. Smart

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1068 on: September 22, 2023, 09:19:52 pm »

Online afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #1069 on: September 22, 2023, 09:35:52 pm »

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1070 on: September 23, 2023, 11:07:45 am »
Amazon have arrived. It was the charger.
Any tips on storing a laptop you dont use

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1071 on: September 23, 2023, 11:17:24 am »
Told ya :D

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #1072 on: September 23, 2023, 11:18:14 am »
Amazon have arrived. It was the charger.
Any tips on storing a laptop you dont use

Leave it at 50% charge before you put it away
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1073 on: September 23, 2023, 11:20:39 am »
I'd send it back with the faulty charger or buy a new charger.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1074 on: September 23, 2023, 11:22:05 am »
Told ya :D

If Id listened to you Id be £140 richer
that would get me about  6 bottles of Somersby on Walton Breck Road tomorrow  :butt

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1075 on: September 23, 2023, 11:26:17 am »

This sees quite poignant now  ;D

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1076 on: September 23, 2023, 11:27:30 am »
Leave it at 50% charge before you put it away

Thanks

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #1077 on: September 23, 2023, 01:36:38 pm »
Might be best to return it. It could be obsolete by the time you need it.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1078 on: September 23, 2023, 03:47:31 pm »
Might be best to return it. It could be obsolete by the time you need it.

Obsolete?

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #1079 on: September 26, 2023, 04:52:10 pm »
What I mean is , if your current laptop lasts well. And you only get out the other laptop when it fails, it might well be only good for windows 11 as windows 12 comes out.

Possibly I'm being biased as I'm always being told I have too many laptops cluttering the place up. Admittedly some of those probably still have windows 95 on....
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.