Author Topic: Shanklyboy's and Fat Scousers ( Leo who's still alive ) auld arse thread  (Read 4012848 times)

Offline rayev

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: For all the auld arses.
« Reply #6160 on: August 1, 2010, 10:20:09 pm »
Yep wore those sandals year round, even with broken straps.
The only pair of football boots I had as a kid were leather hand me downs with wooden studs , which came off frequently, had to put cardboard inside to stop the nails going into my feet.
Was made up when I got my first pair of white pumps, the ones you had to whiten, at least you could turn without falling over, kicking a casey on the other hand wasn't pleasant.
First pair of boots i had were the same mate. I remember i was in the second year of junior school and was picked to play for the school team, me old man got me this second hand pair of old wooden studded boots.
Put them on for the first time and went out to have a kick about, Yep murdering me feet with the nails sticking through,
Went in grizzling to the old man and yep you got it, he put cardboard in the boots and told me to wear two pairs of socks. i could hardly walk after that first match for the school, it was like i had just walked over broken glass.
those were the days aye mate.
The youth of today, you give them a leg up in life and all they want to do is boot you up the arse with it. (Arthur Daley)

Offline bootroom boy

• Kopite
« Reply #6161 on: August 1, 2010, 11:10:10 pm »
Remember the caseys we used to play with?
Played for Old Swan's Boys Club for a one off.
Mystery Wavertree, pissing down with rain, casey became like a medicine ball.
I was playing fullback, opposing keeper hoofs the ball down the pitch, me and the centre half watching one striker, centre half shits out, opposing striker shits out, me being an advocate of not letting the ball bounce attacks the ball, great clearing header but knocked myself fucking sensless.
Those old caseys certainly soaked up the water!

Offline The Red artist.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • With hope in your heart.
« Reply #6162 on: August 1, 2010, 11:18:40 pm »
I also had similar boots, brown dull leather, wooden studs, and almost a steel toecap! Caused a few bruises them boots. Think me arl fella said they were from the 50s. Never break a metatarsal in these things!
Y.N.W.A....J.F.T.96.

Offline inky2

• Legacy Fan
  • RED FOREVER
« Reply #6163 on: August 2, 2010, 01:31:49 am »
aaah uncle joe's mint balls, loved sucking them

uncle joes mint balls
keep you all aglow
give 'em to your granny and watch the bugger go
good for coughs & sniffles, keep a few in hand
suck 'em and see, you'll agree
there the best in all the land
TRACUTHB  *****

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #6164 on: August 2, 2010, 02:23:34 am »
I also had similar boots, brown dull leather, wooden studs, and almost a steel toecap! Caused a few bruises them boots. Think me arl fella said they were from the 50s. Never break a metatarsal in these things!

Not your own anyway.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6165 on: August 2, 2010, 04:22:51 am »

There yer go lads....ring any bells?
Did you stick the Echo down your socks for shinnies too?

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline RedBootsTommySmith

• Kopite
« Reply #6166 on: August 2, 2010, 07:12:40 am »
Top Dogs, my first boots were called.  I remember gashing a lads shins with the nails sticking out of the studs. ( Didn't mean it).

Remember the was a comic - maybe the Hornet? - that had a story called 'Billy's boots'?  Billy found them in a jigger and they used to belong to an old pro. Billy was a crap player until he put these boots on and then he'd score hat-tricks and save on the line etc.  He'd lose the boots and be getting beat, but they'd show up at half time and he'd recover to win the Cup.  Great stuff. 
« Last Edit: August 2, 2010, 07:14:35 am by RedBootsTommySmith »
Victorious and glorious....

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #6167 on: August 2, 2010, 08:41:57 am »
I had a pair just like the black ones on the floorboards - and top-dog rings a bell as well.
« Last Edit: August 2, 2010, 08:55:09 am by Dr. Beaker »
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #6168 on: August 2, 2010, 10:51:23 am »
Top Dogs, my first boots were called.  I remember gashing a lads shins with the nails sticking out of the studs. ( Didn't mean it).

Seem to remember a Top Dog 'International' version as well.

As for shinnies, forget when they became compulsory, but I never worn at Amateur level until the rules changed and you had to wear them.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6169 on: August 2, 2010, 10:59:14 am »
Seem to remember a Top Dog 'International' version as well.

As for shinnies, forget when they became compulsory, but I never worn at Amateur level until the rules changed and you had to wear them.

I used to drool over a picture I had of those Top Dog Internationals mate.
If memory serves me right Stanley Mathews was still advertising them.

I actually tried to find a picture of them to go with the ones above but couldn't.
I started thinking I had got the name wrong and then it pops up in here.
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6170 on: August 2, 2010, 11:00:55 am »

Remember the was a comic - maybe the Hornet? - that had a story called 'Billy's boots'?  Billy found them in a jigger and they used to belong to an old pro. Billy was a crap player until he put these boots on and then he'd score hat-tricks and save on the line etc.  He'd lose the boots and be getting beat, but they'd show up at half time and he'd recover to win the Cup.  Great stuff. 

Loved that Billy's Boots...and Alf Tupper.

It's what they based the Billy Grimble film on.

Cracking little film that.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline The Red artist.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • With hope in your heart.
« Reply #6171 on: August 2, 2010, 11:38:58 am »

Thats them!! the first pic, jeez how did i run in them let alone play in em. They'd be classed as an offensive weapon today. Always loved playing in the wet but those casies didnt half get heavy wi the rain, was like haeding a medicine ball.

Top pics mate.
Y.N.W.A....J.F.T.96.

Offline pooley

• No...! They're not baby wipes!
  • Kopite
« Reply #6172 on: August 2, 2010, 01:06:19 pm »
My first pair were a second hand pair  of 'Top Dog'. I remember playing on Clubmoor rec we must have been playing with a small casie. A ball came on to our pitch from an adjoining pitch where a proper blokes match was going on. I attempted to kick the ball back and it nearly broke my ankle.God help you if you headed the lace! I also rember trying to dye my white shorts red, when Liverpool changed to all red.
I wish I could still climb up the drain-pipe that used to be at the back of the toilet that was outside the kop.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #6173 on: August 2, 2010, 01:40:39 pm »
My first proper boots were these.

and my second..

I know that may sound strange being a Liverpool supporter..   :-[

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #6174 on: August 2, 2010, 01:44:37 pm »
Did Tommy Smith start wearing white boots for us, I remember the Kop singing 'where did you get those boots...' at one of our own players, sure it was Smithy.

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6175 on: August 2, 2010, 02:26:03 pm »
Did Tommy Smith start wearing white boots for us, I remember the Kop singing 'where did you get those boots...' at one of our own players, sure it was Smithy.
Indeed he did..

I heard a story about you and Tommy Smith arguing about a pair of white boots at Anfield. Can you enlighten us?

Ian McDougall, Glasgow

I got offered white boots by Hummel for quite a lot of money, and I asked Tommy what he thought because I respected him – he was like a father figure. Hardly anyone wore them in those days and he said I’d look like a prat. Alan Ball was wearing them, but Tommy said they looked OK with white socks but daft with red ones. Then a week or two later, Tommy was wearing the same boots! He said to me “I can’t turn down that money at my age. They’ll all come knocking at your door, Kevin – Adidas, Puma, Gola – but I need to take this offer.” In the end his white boots ended up a bit red. I was never sure if he dyed them, or whether it was blood…

http://fourfourtwo.com/interviews/one-on-one/88/article.aspx

• Kopite
« Reply #6176 on: August 2, 2010, 02:57:16 pm »

They were RED boots, mate. I remember one regular Kopite - a black fella, if I'm right - was obsessed with them. He'd had a few pints.  He spent the whole game just shouting 'Red Boots Tommy Smith'.

Hence my User ID....

Bally's were white.

« Last Edit: August 2, 2010, 02:59:03 pm by RedBootsTommySmith »

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #6177 on: August 2, 2010, 03:06:29 pm »
They were RED boots, mate. I remember one regular Kopite - a black fella, if I'm right - was obsessed with them. He'd had a few pints.  He spent the whole game just shouting 'Red Boots Tommy Smith'.

Hence my User ID....

Bally's were white.

I know Alan Ball's were deffo white, but I'm sure Smithy wore something similar for us as well.

Tommy may have worn red boots for us (don't recall seeing them myself) but I'm convinced he wore white ones for a time as well.

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6178 on: August 2, 2010, 03:55:44 pm »
My first proper boots were these.

and my second..

I know that may sound strange being a Liverpool supporter..   :-[

Stylo Matchmakers Terry?

Are they the George Best ones?

My first real boots were Gola Europa with the orange gola logo.
Only because Emlyn worse them.

Anyone remember Power Points with the numbers on different parts of the boot.
They came with instructions showing you where to kick the ball and with what number.

Also those boots, I think they were white Hummell ones, with the circular set of studs that moved as you turned.
Unfortunately I don't think they turned 360 degrees so they got banned as kids were twisting their ankles and worse.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6179 on: August 2, 2010, 05:58:08 pm »
Remember the Stylo Matchmakers, Terry. Didn't later on Steve Heighway do them, I think they were purple. My first boots were my cousins hand-me-downs from the fifties, proper hobnail things but my first pair were the Alan Ball's as well, don't know why my Dad Thought I'd want a pair of Boots endorsed by Ball but I was made up with them. Didn't they have circular studs on that rotated? The ones I really wanted were the Gola Goalmaster but they were way out of my pricerange. If you look at the pictures of the Lpool team at the start of the seventies all hands had Gola Goalmaster's on. I knew that Billy's boots from The Scorcher, used to get that every week.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6180 on: August 2, 2010, 06:09:42 pm »
I stand corrected, said the man in the orthapedic footy boots.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline fatherjack

• Anny Roader
  • Keep the faith and Walk On.
« Reply #6181 on: August 2, 2010, 06:23:55 pm »
Thats them!! the first pic, jeez how did i run in them let alone play in em. They'd be classed as an offensive weapon today. Always loved playing in the wet but those casies didnt half get heavy wi the rain, was like haeding a medicine ball.

Top pics mate.

My first pair where the black ones on the floorboards, i seem to recall they had yellow laces but i may be wrong as it was a hell of a long time ago. I concur with the stories about the wet lacey, i played in goals for my school team and took manys a hit from those wet bastards.
SOS member 3252

LiverpoolFC............Did you think we would leave you dying?

Offline Peter T

• Kemlynite
« Reply #6182 on: August 2, 2010, 06:38:35 pm »
I got my first pair of football boots from Kenny Campbell's sports shop in Liscard about 1955. They were a bit like the ones in the photo with the toe caps and nailed in studs. Well described as an offensive weapon, and murder when the nails came through the soles. No wonder the game was slower then,

• Kopite
« Reply #6183 on: August 2, 2010, 07:04:10 pm »
Loved that Billy's Boots...and Alf Tupper.

Alf Tupper  .... LOL ...... wasn't that the long distance runner who always had fish & chips before he ran?

Offline its cold in the stands

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6184 on: August 2, 2010, 07:19:28 pm »
Alf Tupper  .... LOL ...... wasn't that the long distance runner who always had fish & chips before he ran?

i think he had the fish and chips after he ran, wasnt he a mechanic or something as well.

Offline pooley

• No...! They're not baby wipes!
  • Kopite
« Reply #6185 on: August 2, 2010, 07:41:30 pm »
From what I remember, Alf Tupper was always late getting to his races as his boss always made him work late as a welder. He would leg it to the running track grabbing his fish and chips which he ate as he was running. By the time he got to the track and got changed, the race would have already started and he would start off about a lap behind. He would usually just catch them up and breast the tape like a sprinter to win the race, what a guy!!
I wish I could still climb up the drain-pipe that used to be at the back of the toilet that was outside the kop.

Offline rayev

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #6186 on: August 2, 2010, 08:23:43 pm »

Thats them mate, the black ones on the boards, those old laced balls were real heavy when wet too, would murder your swede if you had to head it, nearly knock you out.
The youth of today, you give them a leg up in life and all they want to do is boot you up the arse with it. (Arthur Daley)

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6187 on: August 2, 2010, 08:29:58 pm »
Remember the Stylo Matchmakers, Terry. Didn't later on Steve Heighway do them, I think they were purple. My first boots were my cousins hand-me-downs from the fifties, proper hobnail things but my first pair were the Alan Ball's as well, don't know why my Dad Thought I'd want a pair of Boots endorsed by Ball but I was made up with them. Didn't they have circular studs on that rotated? The ones I really wanted were the Gola Goalmaster but they were way out of my pricerange. If you look at the pictures of the Lpool team at the start of the seventies all hands had Gola Goalmaster's on. I knew that Billy's boots from The Scorcher, used to get that every week.

I think Heighway always wore them and they did get a deal done for the whole team too.

I wonder if they bought them from Stevies shop.

How did we ever win anything with these two artistic types in the team?

I wonder if we'll ever get back to the days when the club's cleaners were asked to show off our newest trophy with the captain.

Here's Boersma trying on the boots he'd heard I'd just bought.

How many of these scruffy bastards can you name lads.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #6188 on: August 2, 2010, 08:49:53 pm »
HA!
I used to think that an all. Tip....
Yer taste buds are dead, yer daft aul bastard.

Ha ha, you're probably right big boy.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6189 on: August 2, 2010, 10:46:09 pm »
You're both right and both wrong...
Alf used to eat them while he was running an all, hurdles, marathon, relay, the lot.
i think he had the fish and chips after he ran, wasnt he a mechanic or something as well.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6190 on: August 2, 2010, 10:49:06 pm »
I think Heighway always wore them and they did get a deal done for the whole team too.

I wonder if they bought them from Stevies shop.

How did we ever win anything with these two artistic types in the team?

I wonder if we'll ever get back to the days when the club's cleaners were asked to show off our newest trophy with the captain.

Here's Boersma trying on the boots he'd heard I'd just bought.

How many of these scruffy bastards can you name lads.

There's only the one pic showing up Shanks mate.
Ha ha, you're probably right big boy.
Defo... I put the salt and pepper on with a trowel nowadays.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #6191 on: August 2, 2010, 11:32:05 pm »
The cigarette in the ashtray next to Toshack!
Heighways shop. That was on Station Road in Ainsdale. I remember it opening and I think I bought a puffa sports jacket thing from there back in about 77. He wasn't in there, rarely was, but used to see him and also Ray Clemence knocking around Ainsdale occasionally.
That other photo of Heighway playing cricket, was that taken at Birkdale cricket club, the one the trains used to go past?
As for the last photo, that's a very young Case and Fairclough isn't it and I suppose I should recognise some of the others but it's been a long time now...
We all had little 'tache's in those days didn't we...and those kecks! You could tack against a force 8 headwind in them.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6192 on: August 2, 2010, 11:38:14 pm »
There's only the one pic showing up Shanks mate.Defo... I put the salt and pepper on with a trowel nowadays.

Something wrong with your bins or your cats whisker mate....they are all there ,even on your message.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline rusty-la

• Ch ch ch ch ch ch changes. Warning! Time-waster! Ironically, can't fucking count to save his life. And thinks BBC is Channel 4.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thin Strawberry Duke
« Reply #6193 on: August 3, 2010, 12:04:05 am »

Nah, Alf would be in is garige welding motor bikes to side cars and that.... then dash off, last minute for the race. He'd grab a quick fish supper and arrive at the start line only to realise he'd forgot his running shoes...

That wouldnt stop Alf, he'd strap two planks of wood to he's feet and join the starting line.

He always lined up against his 'Lordship' and  his mates who were all bad uns'. The race began and Alf would be at the back....then as he overtook a few  of the Toffs they  would biff him and that...but Alf always had it in him to overcome that, and then with 200 to go, he'd rampage down the home straight (only stopin to rescue a cat from up a tree) and in the final few yards still have enough left in the tank overtake his Lordship.

They dont make em like that anymore.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6194 on: August 3, 2010, 12:08:21 am »
Something wrong with your bins or your cats whisker mate....they are all there ,even on your message.
You sly bastard. You put that old bottle of disappearing ink from the wizard's den in your printer.

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6195 on: August 3, 2010, 12:13:10 am »
The cigarette in the ashtray next to Toshack!
Heighways shop. That was on Station Road in Ainsdale. I remember it opening and I think I bought a puffa sports jacket thing from there back in about 77. He wasn't in there, rarely was, but used to see him and also Ray Clemence knocking around Ainsdale occasionally.
That other photo of Heighway playing cricket, was that taken at Birkdale cricket club, the one the trains used to go past?
As for the last photo, that's a very young Case and Fairclough isn't it and I suppose I should recognise some of the others but it's been a long time now...
We all had little 'tache's in those days didn't we...and those kecks! You could tack against a force 8 headwind in them.

The only others I can think of on that team pic are Bob Wardle (top left) and what looks like a young Max Thompson (front fae right),though the lads front row far left and 3rd on the right look very familiar.
I thought that was Liverpool Cricket Club on Aigburth Road but I could be wrong.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6196 on: August 3, 2010, 12:13:11 am »
There showing up fine now but before I could only see the top one as well. Some good photos there I remember Heighway opening a baked spud shop In Walton Vale, The Take and Bake i think it was called, loads of us outside and when heighway appeared we stormed the place because he was giving out Liverpool stuff, ended up fighting for bits of ripped up pendants he'd given out. Seeing the Umbro box in the Boersma pic reminds me of my first Liverpool top plain with the Umbro badge on it, I can still remember ripping the chrimbo paper off it. I can only get Jimmy case and davy fairclough
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6197 on: August 3, 2010, 12:15:02 am »
You sly bastard. You put that old bottle of disappearing ink from the wizard's den in your printer.

I bought a great big box of that invisuble ink in 1965, there must have been about 2 dozen in it.

Fucked if I can find them though.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6198 on: August 3, 2010, 12:21:08 am »
I bought a great big box of that invisuble ink in 1965, there must have been about 2 dozen in it.

Fucked if I can find them though.
It's in the pocket of your camouflage kecks..

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6199 on: August 3, 2010, 12:32:53 am »
Back to the picture..

Max Thompson, Frankie Lane, John McLaughlin?
« Last Edit: August 3, 2010, 12:39:16 am by Terry De Niro »