Author Topic: The Teachers' Thread  (Read 181036 times)

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
Re: The Teachers' Thread
« Reply #280 on: January 28, 2011, 12:22:41 pm »
If anyone out there could help me? is very much appreciated.

My girlfriend is teaching 4 year old s English and uses phonics alphabets to support learning. It's a very formulated way of teaching at that age to be honest. It's all about sounding out and putting constructs together. She uses this website if it's of any use to you (gives you like games and exercises):

http://www.sparklebox.co.uk/literacy/

Can't vouch for it as I'm not a teacher but the methods are earning accreditations and she is going to do some talks at various schools in Cheshire this week, so it must be working!! Personally I'd go old school and beat it into the little shits  :lickin

Offline Enemy

• Fairly low-maintenance pritsatoixouphobic.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #281 on: January 28, 2011, 12:51:47 pm »
This seems like the thread for me! Would you midn if I ask some possibly stupid and newbish questions?

Basically I'm a mature student studying English Literature with the Open University. I've got about 1.5yrs to go until I finish my degree. I really have been wanting to become a secondary school teacher. The Open University however don't do teaching courses unless it's for science or maths. What do I do after I've finished my degree, how long will it take?

Also over time I've kind of lost my desire to be a teacher and not sure I want to do much after my degree. Possibly a combination of working full time and studying full time, I probably fancy a break for a while. Anyway - assuming I do go ahead with teaching are the hours alright, how stressful is it? I'm not actually very good at dealing with stress as I'm prone to depression. Hmm.

Thanks for any help. :)
Enemy, at that time, and now, I cant think of anything good to say about her. She's still being a c*nt

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #282 on: January 28, 2011, 12:56:01 pm »
Not good with stress? Prone to depression? Definitely not the job for you if that's the case :)

Offline Enemy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: January 28, 2011, 01:00:28 pm »
Not good with stress? Prone to depression? Definitely not the job for you if that's the case :)

I've never wanted to do anything else. I've got no idea what I'd do if I wasn't doing some form of teaching, it's been my aim from when I was a wee little girl. :(

Also I can deal with a lot of stress but after a while it kind of catches up with me. Any constructive advice?
Enemy, at that time, and now, I cant think of anything good to say about her. She's still being a c*nt

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #284 on: January 28, 2011, 01:02:49 pm »
This seems like the thread for me! Would you midn if I ask some possibly stupid and newbish questions?

I think this is the easiest way for undergraduates to get into teaching:

http://www.tda.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/teacher-training-options/pgce.aspx

Other people will advise you further I think. From what I've seen, teaching is difficult and stressful. You get the nice holidays because you work your arse to the bone during term time. Contrary to the belief of many (including me), it's not 830 till 330. I've dated two teachers and they finish work between 5-6 (as its the only time to have group meetings), and have been in from 730-800.

They have always brought home boxes of marking to do, and when they are not marking, they are either doing lesson plans or other records/planning (this gets easier the longer you teach as they will be transferable for some parts of the year).

Secondary school kids for an NQT are going to be the hardest group, and you will get shit especially being female. You'll have the support of your colleagues but you will have a bad class at some point. You have to be extremely careful in what you say because if you retort to a cheeky kid with a witty putdown it could be looked at as though you are affecting their morale and crushing their self esteem (there will be courses and stuff to do on that as well).

A lot of new teachers feel isolated and bullied from what I've seen and experiences shared by those I know who do teach and their friends in similar situation. It;s not a job in that age range I'd consider unless you're a very strong person to be honest.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #285 on: January 28, 2011, 01:07:53 pm »
Well summed up.
Plus it's not the ideal time to be starting either, and jobs will be hard to come across

Offline Enemy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: January 28, 2011, 01:08:45 pm »
I think this is the easiest way for undergraduates to get into teaching:

http://www.tda.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/teacher-training-options/pgce.aspx

Other people will advise you further I think. From what I've seen, teaching is difficult and stressful. You get the nice holidays because you work your arse to the bone during term time. Contrary to the belief of many (including me), it's not 830 till 330. I've dated two teachers and they finish work between 5-6 (as its the only time to have group meetings), and have been in from 730-800.

They have always brought home boxes of marking to do, and when they are not marking, they are either doing lesson plans or other records/planning (this gets easier the longer you teach as they will be transferable for some parts of the year).

Secondary school kids for an NQT are going to be the hardest group, and you will get shit especially being female. You'll have the support of your colleagues but you will have a bad class at some point. You have to be extremely careful in what you say because if you retort to a cheeky kid with a witty putdown it could be looked at as though you are affecting their morale and crushing their self esteem (there will be courses and stuff to do on that as well).

A lot of new teachers feel isolated and bullied from what I've seen and experiences shared by those I know who do teach and their friends in similar situation. It;s not a job in that age range I'd consider unless you're a very strong person to be honest.

Hmmm. I figured it would be hard but also is it the easiest way to find a job? Teaching in a sixth form college would probably be easier but there's fewer jobs out there? I wouldn't say I'm a weak person at all, I'm pretty hardened, depression isn't an indication of weakness in my opinion, it's just something that happens from time to time for no reason.

Also when thinking back over great teachers I've had I still can't figure out what it is about certain teachers that instantly wins the respect of pupils and makes them not mess about. What is that?

Offline Enemy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: January 28, 2011, 01:09:42 pm »
Well summed up.
Plus it's not the ideal time to be starting either, and jobs will be hard to come across
Aye. Maybe I should bum about then for a while. I've been working and studying full time since I was 16 so a break might be nice.

Would you recommend TEFL courses maybe seeing as I suppose those students are eager to learn?

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #288 on: January 28, 2011, 07:12:02 pm »
Aye. Maybe I should bum about then for a while. I've been working and studying full time since I was 16 so a break might be nice.

Would you recommend TEFL courses maybe seeing as I suppose those students are eager to learn?

I have no experience of TEFL but those who have taught it have said that it all depends on where you get to go, some institutes are absolutely awful and the students just want you to spoon feed them.
On the plus side, it gives them the chance to work abroad.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #289 on: January 28, 2011, 11:17:28 pm »
I did the TEFL qualification a few years back, but didn't find the course particularly useful myself, maybe the course teacher wasn't the greatest or the fact that I was already a qualified language teacher when I did it made it all a bit 'meh' but still

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #290 on: March 31, 2011, 07:57:06 pm »
Ahhhh Easter holidays :)

Offline PhiLFC#1

• The Messiah! He rawks amongst us
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #291 on: March 31, 2011, 08:17:04 pm »
It must be the worst job in the history of life to be a teacher, especially in secondary school. Both my parents were and hated it. Would never have gone anywhere near that. Sound if any of you guys enjoy it though

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #292 on: March 31, 2011, 08:38:20 pm »
It's boss, I couldn't want to do anything else. Went to watch our year nines in the semi of the Sefton cup footy today too, great win 5-3 over Sacred Heart despite having ten men for most of the game thanks to an over zealous ref. Was boss to watch too

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: March 31, 2011, 08:40:33 pm »
Heres what all you females teachers should aspire to, my kind of teacher...

Art teacher at Harrow whose topless photos were shared by the boys
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline PhiLFC#1

• The Messiah! He rawks amongst us
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #294 on: March 31, 2011, 11:00:51 pm »
Nice.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #295 on: March 31, 2011, 11:10:19 pm »

Can't think how she got the job
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #296 on: April 1, 2011, 04:10:11 pm »
Ah two weeks off now, great!

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #297 on: April 1, 2011, 09:11:59 pm »
Wirral schools start holidays in 2 weeks. So right now, I'm jealous, but in 2 weeks, you will be!

Crazy how your holidays don't even include Easter Sunday. What kind of Easter holiday is that?
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #298 on: April 1, 2011, 09:16:40 pm »
Kinda like this way, means when we get back after the holidays we get a 4 day week, a 3 day week and a 4 day week :)
Are you not part of the standardised year then? Guess it's just Liverpool, Sefton, Knowsley and St Helens round here

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: April 1, 2011, 09:21:49 pm »
Kinda like this way, means when we get back after the holidays we get a 4 day week, a 3 day week and a 4 day week :)
Are you not part of the standardised year then? Guess it's just Liverpool, Sefton, Knowsley and St Helens round here

No, we have had a seven week half term followed by an eight weeker, which has been a slog. The kids are really flagging, as am I! Got a 4 week half term after Easter too which is bloody ridiculous.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #300 on: April 1, 2011, 09:26:03 pm »
That is a slog, we had two 6 weekers.
4 weeks is such a pointless amount for a half term! We lose our elevens and twelves not too long after the short weeks. Nice time of year, far better than the dark winter mornings and nights

Offline redmachine

• Legacy Fan
  • Y N W A
« Reply #301 on: April 1, 2011, 09:55:34 pm »
1 more week left, short one though as Friday is INSET.

Dont really count INSET as an actually working day, I will be there physically but my functioning mind will already have its feet up in the garden or on the golf course.

April is absolutely sweet. Off for two weeks, back in for 3 days, off for another 4 and then back in for another 4 day week!

Offline Perkins

• Legacy Fan
  • Prepare to be Skrtelised
« Reply #302 on: April 2, 2011, 12:39:52 am »
Looking some advice, didn't do as well as I wanted in my degree and it has no real world application.  How do I get into teaching?
To avoid murdering each other, you'll have to keep yourselves anaesthetised with DVD boxsets and the occasional holiday. Life partner? Joy thief, more like

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: April 2, 2011, 08:49:02 am »
Hilarious.

Offline redmachine

• Legacy Fan
  • Y N W A
« Reply #304 on: April 2, 2011, 09:47:57 am »
Looking some advice, didn't do as well as I wanted in my degree and it has no real world application.  How do I get into teaching?

1. Have you any experience? Carried out any observations/placements etc?
2. What was your degree in?
3. What subject would you intend to teach?
4. What age group would you intend to teach?

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #305 on: April 2, 2011, 09:48:40 am »
1. Have you any experience? Carried out any observations/placements etc?
2. What was your degree in?
3. What subject would you intend to teach?
4. What age group would you intend to teach?

He's taking the piss

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: April 2, 2011, 09:58:59 am »
I'm knackered. 2 x 7 week terms in a row. At least after Easter it's a 4 weeker, which in itself is ridiculous!

Offline Perkins

• Legacy Fan
  • Prepare to be Skrtelised
« Reply #307 on: April 3, 2011, 02:06:43 pm »
Only having a laugh with you all.  My mate offered me a way into teaching but it isn't for me
To avoid murdering each other, you'll have to keep yourselves anaesthetised with DVD boxsets and the occasional holiday. Life partner? Joy thief, more like

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #308 on: April 3, 2011, 02:23:23 pm »
Yeah you don't strike me as someone who could hack it ;)
There's times when I think I'd love the quiet of an office job or something, but I'd probably get bored now. At least with teaching you never get two days the same!

Offline choi

• of sex.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Toto
« Reply #309 on: April 3, 2011, 06:07:32 pm »

Live with a 2 lads who went to Harrow, and they both had her as their art teacher, and yes i've seen the pictures ;D :lickin

Offline Scaryscouse

• Purveyor of shite english lager
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice packet of Crunchy Nut you got here
« Reply #310 on: April 5, 2011, 12:24:35 am »
I feel sorry for teachers nowadays hearing all the new methods of teaching. we were little bastards in class don't get me wrong, nut if a teacher rasied his voice we payed them respect and shut it.

A friend was telling me all about teachers aids they need to have, they can't tell the kid their wrong and it's near immpossibel for some absolute little nightmares to ever get suspended. I wouldn't do it for all the tea in CHina.
I remember years ago doing the fart with your fingers pointed like a gun.

I did it to my brother, I had a dressing gown on.

Instead of farting I shat on the floor - my brother thought I was demented.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: April 6, 2011, 08:14:40 pm »
My friend has just been jailed for 30 months indecent assault on a minor, allegations which dated back 20 years. He has sworn to me that he didn't do it, and as his friend and knowing him well, I believe him (although I obviously accept that a jury has been convinced otherwise and that public opinion will no doubt be against him). Anyway, fellow teachers, this is yet another warning as to what can happen if a pupil decides to make an allegation against you, and reinforces the importance of keeping yourself out of harm's way at all times. Never allow yourself to be alone with a pupil. Anywhere. Ever.

Offline blurred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: April 6, 2011, 10:30:59 pm »
My friend has just been jailed for 30 months indecent assault on a minor, allegations which dated back 20 years. He has sworn to me that he didn't do it, and as his friend and knowing him well, I believe him (although I obviously accept that a jury has been convinced otherwise and that public opinion will no doubt be against him). Anyway, fellow teachers, this is yet another warning as to what can happen if a pupil decides to make an allegation against you, and reinforces the importance of keeping yourself out of harm's way at all times. Never allow yourself to be alone with a pupil. Anywhere. Ever.

Assume that it's this case that you're talking about? http://tinyurl.com/5vostzr

If so, it seems that the jurors were convinced that he had had a two year affair with a 14 year old, rather than an indecent act or two. His co-accused was acquitted. Wise advice to not put yourself in those situations that could be misconstrued or where pupils could make difficult to disprove allegations, but that wasn't the case here, apparently. If he is truly innocent then it's a shame to have the tailend of a career ruined.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: April 6, 2011, 11:04:33 pm »
I think the tail end of a career being ruined is as nothing compared to 30 months in prison, where we all know what happens to sex offenders. Any allegation, whether it involves a single incident or a course of conduct, can be difficult to disprove as this case shows. 20 years ago, my friend gave a girl some lifts home (at a time when it was not unusual to do so). Whether anything more than that happened or not ot left him in an awkward position, and his case now stands as an affirmation of why we are now given such strict guidance on these issues.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #314 on: May 30, 2011, 09:42:15 pm »
Ahhh half term :)

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #315 on: May 30, 2011, 09:53:40 pm »
Finish my Pgce PE course on 15th! Starting to panic now as there are literally no jobs in my area! Sadly restricted to my area so moving isn't an option! There has been two jobs accessible since jan and I didn't get an interview for either, both had near 70applicants!

Starting to wonder whether I'll have to do supply!? :( feel like Ive wasted the last 6 years of working in schools/degrees! Working up debts when I should've just got a trade! Just really bummed! Fucking Cameron and clegg, c*nts
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #316 on: May 30, 2011, 10:06:47 pm »
Whereabouts are you?
Jobs are thin on the ground everywhere and for everything and have been for a few years.
Supply is shot to shit tho, Rarely Cover has led to a rise in cover supervisors and daily supply is all bur non existent unless you're lucky. Don't forget the 16 month rule too which is a kicker

Offline rakey_lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: May 31, 2011, 11:30:16 am »
Whats the 16month rule?

I live in Lowestoft, Suffolk. So looking in the counties of Norfolk & Suffolk really.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #318 on: May 31, 2011, 11:32:43 am »
16 month rule - means that from your very first day of doing supply you need to complete your NQT year within 16 months...

Offline rakey_lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: May 31, 2011, 11:34:13 am »
Never knew that. Thanks! I knew you had to complete your NQT within five years of becoming an NQT.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone