Author Topic: The Ultimate Music Draft - Live and Loud 1953 to Present Day - Discussion Thread  (Read 59571 times)

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Re: The Ultimate Music Draft - Discussion Thread
« Reply #80 on: September 9, 2017, 04:10:26 pm »
While we're waiting for someone to pop up, let's try to finalise the rules:

- 6 bands or solo artists each.
- Must be a female somewhere in one of your picks (hair metalers don't count).
- You must pick an artist or band from at least 4 different decades between 1920 and the present day.
- If a band has had multiple incarnations and member changes, please specify which version/era you're picking. For example, Floyd 67 vs Floyd 80. No other variants on that bands line-up can then be picked.
- No made up or parody bands - i.e. Spinal Tap.
- Where possible, please post a video or link to some live footage or a great track by your pick. It gives the draft a bit of added life.

Anything else to add? Speak now or forever hold your peace. I'm open to tweaking any rules or adding anything else in that we've missed.
Suggestion:

Given it's a festival line up, when you finalise your line up you have to nominate the order they appear in from early afternoon through to the headline act and you should very loosely pick bands to crescendo your gig to its epic conclusion.

Sounds good to me. I assumed the picking order would match the order of play (reverse ways), but people may want to tweak that. Maybe we can all name our festival stage too  :D
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: September 9, 2017, 05:03:50 pm »
While we're waiting for someone to pop up, let's try to finalise the rules:

- 6 bands or solo artists each.
- Must be a female somewhere in one of your picks (hair metalers don't count).
- You must pick an artist or band from at least 4 different decades between 1920 and the present day.
- If a band has had multiple incarnations and member changes, please specify which version/era you're picking. For example, Floyd 67 vs Floyd 80. No other variants on that bands line-up can then be picked.
- No made up or parody bands - i.e. Spinal Tap.
- Where possible, please post a video or link to some live footage or a great track by your pick. It gives the draft a bit of added life.

Anything else to add? Speak now or forever hold your peace. I'm open to tweaking any rules or adding anything else in that we've missed.

Sounds pretty damn good to me. I'd maybe suggest increasing the number of acts to 7 or 8, because 6 seems a touch restrictive and, though I haven't been to a festival in a while, I vaguely (very vaguely - I may not have been entirely compos mentis for the duration) recall there being 8 a day per stage the only time I went to Glastonbury, which seems to me to be the archetypal festival experience. I can understand 6 though, as I'm guessing these draft things can take a while to get through.

In any case, I'm new here so whatever you guys choose is all good. Can't wait to get stuck into something that isn't football-related on here, as today's result was a right kick in the teeth and I'd rather forget all about it.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: September 9, 2017, 05:06:53 pm »
Once you enter the Rawk drafting world there is no way out.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: September 9, 2017, 05:11:56 pm »
Suggestion:

Given it's a festival line up, when you finalise your line up you have to nominate the order they appear in from early afternoon through to the headline act and you should very loosely pick bands to crescendo your gig to its epic conclusion.

Totally agree.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: September 9, 2017, 05:19:19 pm »
Can't wait to get this going.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #85 on: September 9, 2017, 05:23:34 pm »
Suggestion:

Agree, well the headliner bit at least  ;D

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #86 on: September 9, 2017, 05:26:14 pm »
Definitely a good time for a draft  :-X

Coldplay - for all your bed wetting needs.

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #87 on: September 9, 2017, 05:27:01 pm »
Let's get this bad boy started!

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #88 on: September 9, 2017, 05:27:18 pm »
Sounds pretty damn good to me. I'd maybe suggest increasing the number of acts to 7 or 8, because 6 seems a touch restrictive and, though I haven't been to a festival in a while, I vaguely (very vaguely - I may not have been entirely compos mentis for the duration) recall there being 8 a day per stage the only time I went to Glastonbury, which seems to me to be the archetypal festival experience. I can understand 6 though, as I'm guessing these draft things can take a while to get through.

In any case, I'm new here so whatever you guys choose is all good. Can't wait to get stuck into something that isn't football-related on here, as today's result was a right kick in the teeth and I'd rather forget all about it.

I'm happy to push the number of picks up to 8 if everyone agrees. Music history is absolutely huge, so there should be no shortage of picks. I was more concerned people about it dragging on, but if that happens we could always cut short at 6.

Can't wait to get this going.

We can just go ahead with 15 drafters if everyone's itching to get going. It's nice to have an even number for the voting, but not imperative.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #89 on: September 9, 2017, 05:33:37 pm »
I said I wanted a partner goddammit. A Hall to my Oates.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #90 on: September 9, 2017, 05:34:19 pm »
I said I wanted a partner goddammit. A Hall to my Oates.

The Samie-Nick Dream team?

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: September 9, 2017, 05:34:21 pm »
I'm happy to push the number of picks up to 8 if everyone agrees. Music history is absolutely huge, so there should be no shortage of picks. I was more concerned people about it dragging on, but if that happens we could always cut short at 6.

We can just go ahead with 15 drafters if everyone's itching to get going. It's nice to have an even number for the voting, but not imperative.

I don't mind hanging on for 1 more if it means someone doesn't miss out!

Just excited to get it going  ;D

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: September 9, 2017, 05:55:10 pm »
The Samie-Nick Dream team?

Nick while tempting doesn't come close to my one true partner Prof.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #93 on: September 9, 2017, 06:16:43 pm »
One more thing I'd like to suggest. Though not strictly a rule, as some people are going to be busier than others.

- To add in a bit of write up either with your pick or in the discussion thread. e.g. The story of first seeing them live, the first album you bought by them, the song you lost your virginity to, or the time your mate/old man/bro leant you their CD/record/mini-disc/short-wave radio. Just nice to give a bit of narrative and meaning to the picks. I think what makes music so special is that it's almost always with us in the most important moments of our lives.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #95 on: September 9, 2017, 06:29:13 pm »
Right, I'm out for the rest of the evening. We will start tomorrow after 12. I'll draw up the order overnight most probably and PM everyone, so they know when we're starting.

In the mean time, if anyone else wants to join in they're more than welcome.

Also, any opinions on whether to draft 6, 7 or 8 bands would be good.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: September 9, 2017, 09:00:24 pm »
the song you lost your virginity to

What if you're still a virgin? Not that I am... Asking for a friend.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #97 on: September 9, 2017, 10:23:21 pm »
I'm in, lets go for 8
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #98 on: September 9, 2017, 11:04:37 pm »
Right, I'm out for the rest of the evening. We will start tomorrow after 12. I'll draw up the order overnight most probably and PM everyone, so they know when we're starting.

In the mean time, if anyone else wants to join in they're more than welcome.

Also, any opinions on whether to draft 6, 7 or 8 bands would be good.
6 is a nice number for a draft but I wouldn't mind doing 8 at all either.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: September 10, 2017, 01:02:31 am »
No need to decide yet, we can do six and see how we feel then.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #100 on: September 10, 2017, 08:26:15 am »
Still need two more drafters to get up to 16. Come back, Dave....
Sorry, B, I/we went out for dinner, we're on holiday..and I only posted a stage preview for the race yesterday as I was out and about on the bike.

Looking forward to seeing some Fela Kuti, Bob, EWF and of course the greatest artist in my lifetime, Stevie.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #101 on: September 10, 2017, 08:30:16 am »
Just my final twopenneth on this, if there aren't some set parameters then the drafting process itself will be slightly pointless in my opinion. Dave will select essentially the line-up at Montreux 1982 with SRV headlining. Crosby Nick will have V Festival 1998 with Space headlining and I will have a complete mess of a festival, let's say Leeds 2002. No one will pick the same artists and we might just as well send our picks to Betty and be done with it.

And in that situation all that people will vote on, is which line-up contains their favourite bands and won't really be representative of a draft.

And thus to me, that's why silly categories are important. It then becomes quantifiable to a certain point. Let's say one of the categories is 10x platinum album singers. So I pick, let's say Dolly Parton and Dave Picks Aretha Franklin. At least then, we have a direct comparison both with advantages and disadvantages (no jokes about Dolly's knockers) but if you don't constrict it somewhat it's going to be an absolute nightmare.

How do you realistically compare Thelonius Monk with Outkast, Eminem with Buddy Holly, Rage Against the Machine with Loretta Lynn? The answer is you can't. So for me, we need a bit of direction in our picks so it isn't just a massive free for all.
See....those who know music will tell you the highlight of the 82 Montreux was Mose Allison. That was were the LP - Mose Allison - Lessons In Living was recorded. ;)

A great gig captured for all a y'all to listen to.

And in regards to Stevie Ray, he was influenced by that cat I mentioned on the previous page, Charlie Patton. Without the Blues.....
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: September 10, 2017, 12:22:10 pm »
No need to decide yet, we can do six and see how we feel then.

Yeah we can do six, and then two more if we need them.

By the way, are we allowed to have philosophers, like Des'ree?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #103 on: September 10, 2017, 12:23:29 pm »
12pm kick off, first drafter lives in the US.

Is the rest of it going to be this badly organised? Just hoping he doesn't nick Daphne and Celeste off me.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: September 10, 2017, 12:50:01 pm »
Just my final twopenneth on this, if there aren't some set parameters then the drafting process itself will be slightly pointless in my opinion. Dave will select essentially the line-up at Montreux 1982 with SRV headlining. Crosby Nick will have V Festival 1998 with Space headlining and I will have a complete mess of a festival, let's say Leeds 2002. No one will pick the same artists and we might just as well send our picks to Betty and be done with it.

And in that situation all that people will vote on, is which line-up contains their favourite bands and won't really be representative of a draft.

And thus to me, that's why silly categories are important. It then becomes quantifiable to a certain point. Let's say one of the categories is 10x platinum album singers. So I pick, let's say Dolly Parton and Dave Picks Aretha Franklin. At least then, we have a direct comparison both with advantages and disadvantages (no jokes about Dolly's knockers) but if you don't constrict it somewhat it's going to be an absolute nightmare.

How do you realistically compare Thelonius Monk with Outkast, Eminem with Buddy Holly, Rage Against the Machine with Loretta Lynn? The answer is you can't. So for me, we need a bit of direction in our picks so it isn't just a massive free for all.
Leeds 2002 was one of the best festival lineups of all-time, so you'd be in with a shot. Nevertheless, I don't think there's anything wrong with letting people pick what they want (though the decades restriction is a good one). It makes for more individual and therefore interesting choices, rather than 16 fantasy bills that all look the same. I'd like to see people's explanation of their overall lineups and the nature (ie. size, setting, rough set times) of their festival too, once their picks are all done. It doesn't have to be a thing but it would make it more vivid and interesting.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: September 10, 2017, 01:21:54 pm »
Leeds 2002 was one of the best festival lineups of all-time, so you'd be in with a shot. Nevertheless, I don't think there's anything wrong with letting people pick what they want (though the decades restriction is a good one). It makes for more individual and therefore interesting choices, rather than 16 fantasy bills that all look the same. I'd like to see people's explanation of their overall lineups and the nature (ie. size, setting, rough set times) of their festival too, once their picks are all done. It doesn't have to be a thing but it would make it more vivid and interesting.

Don't worry - I know how good the music was - I was there! By mess I was taking about the festival itself. I've never been to one quite like it. The scale of the disorder, chaos and violence was like nothing I've seen before or since.

It honestly felt like the end of humanity.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: September 10, 2017, 01:24:49 pm »
I was at Reading that year and the trouble was worse the following year. From what I hear things have regressed even more since, but I think that's more down to organisational negligence than the bands (Woodstock '99 was of course a blend of the two).

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #107 on: September 10, 2017, 01:26:41 pm »
Sorry, B, I/we went out for dinner, we're on holiday..and I only posted a stage preview for the race yesterday as I was out and about on the bike.

Looking forward to seeing some Fela Kuti, Bob, EWF and of course the greatest artist in my lifetime, Stevie.

No worries, buddy. You're welcome to join us our 17th drafter if you're still interested? Otherwise I hope to see you in here deriding all our picks  :D

12pm kick off, first drafter lives in the US.

Is the rest of it going to be this badly organised? Just hoping he doesn't nick Daphne and Celeste off me.

Ooops bit of a false start. Pretty sure Chakan will be about soon though. He should know drafting is far more important than sleep.

The more I think about the bands I'd like to pick the more I realise my festival will probably make absolutely no sense. Pretty sure half my punters will come for one band then fuck off for all the others  :D  I'm sure I could make a line-up that all fitted together, but I think that would be pretty dull to draft really. So yeah, I'm glad we've gone for the decades restriction, despite originally not being sure. I expect some people will want to create pure fantasy genre specific stages and that's fine too, but I'm most looking forward to the mad collection of bands we'll likely see people put together.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #108 on: September 10, 2017, 01:28:59 pm »
When can I pick? About to head to the supermarket...Sunday Bloody Sunday!

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: September 10, 2017, 01:30:09 pm »
I was at Reading that year and the trouble was worse the following year. From what I hear things have regressed even more since, but I think that's more down to organisational negligence than the bands (Woodstock '99 was of course a blend of the two).

I was employed one year at Leeds festival (can't remember which one). We were installing long drop toilets, same as the Glastonbury ones. This was not for environmental reasons, but because punters were burning the porta-loos on the Sunday evening. Whatever year it was, it was the most disgusting behaviour I've ever seen from a festival crowd, security just stood back and watched as everything possible was trashed and burned. Aside from that it's a dreadful event, too corporate, too many restrictions and very poor sound quality on the main stage (was much better backstage).
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: September 10, 2017, 01:32:57 pm »
I'm sure I could make a line-up that all fitted together, but I think that would be pretty dull to draft really. So yeah, I'm glad we've gone for the decades restriction, despite originally not being sure. I expect some people will want to create pure fantasy genre specific stages and that's fine too, but I'm most looking forward to the mad collection of bands we'll likely see people put together.

I intend to have a line up that will as you put it "fit together", much more interesting and challenging (IMO) than a random collection of top of their genre acts. 

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #111 on: September 10, 2017, 01:37:59 pm »
Ah crap just woke up , sorry gimme a minute. Picking first. Crap crap crap crap

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #112 on: September 10, 2017, 01:43:52 pm »
When can I pick? About to head to the supermarket...Sunday Bloody Sunday!

I have a feeling you and Chaks will have very different music taste, so maybe best you pick before going out.

I intend to have a line up that will as you put it "fit together", much more interesting and challenging (IMO) than a random collection of top of their genre acts. 

I'm a bit torn to be honest. Kind of wish I could draft two different stages! There are two sides to me musically. There are the older bands and influences given to me from my Dad and there are the teenage angsty type bands I discovered myself as a teenager. These bands don't really go together, but I love them both equally and I don't think I can be satisfied betarying one or the other.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: September 10, 2017, 01:58:12 pm »
I have a feeling you and Chaks will have very different music taste, so maybe best you pick before going out.

Picked and PM'd Nick.

Bit of a rushed intro, need to get some coffee in me.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #114 on: September 10, 2017, 02:01:47 pm »
I'm going to get into a lot of trouble for this, but I absolutely HATE Queen. If they're playing a room, I will walk straight out. The only time they have been acceptable to me is when 'Don't Stop Me Now'  was used in Shaun of the Dead.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: September 10, 2017, 02:02:45 pm »
I'm going to get into a lot of trouble for this, but I absolutely HATE Queen. If they're playing a room, I will walk straight out. The only time they have been acceptable to me is when 'Don't Stop Me Now'  was used in Shaun of the Dead.

:shocked

I dunno if we can be friends anymore mate.

Brexit, Trump, Betty not like Queen.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: September 10, 2017, 02:07:14 pm »
I have to be honest, those were not the two picks I thought would go first.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #117 on: September 10, 2017, 02:09:40 pm »
Phew, nobody has chosen JC Satan yet  ;D

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #118 on: September 10, 2017, 02:11:28 pm »
:shocked

I dunno if we can be friends anymore mate.

Brexit, Trump, Betty not like Queen.

This is what's so interesting about music. It's not like football where there are set parameters on what makes the GOATs. Although there are plenty of divides within that. Music is incredibly polarising. One man's all-time great can be another's shit on a shoe. I'm almost certain no-one will take my first pick, as they're not popular in a 'Queen' sense, but to me they are amongst the greatest bands ever.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #119 on: September 10, 2017, 02:13:14 pm »
My list has excluded acts of absolutely huge status (eg, no Doors, Beatles, etc) but I've not gone too obscure. I would in theory want people to turn up to this festival  :)