Author Topic: SLR Cameras - recommendations and advice  (Read 145965 times)

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
Re: SLR Camera's
« Reply #200 on: May 24, 2008, 09:40:04 pm »
Me step dad posted that.

Makes more sense :D

Offline MolbysBigBelly

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #201 on: May 25, 2008, 12:35:49 pm »
Looking at the 450D ? Forget about it.

Get the 400d+ cashback and spend the savings on lenses. The 18-55 lens you get with the 450D kit (and the 400D for that matter although the 450D has IS) is a crap lens with a poor range on it.

For the money you save buying a 400D you could get a 50mm f1.8 and a 55-250 IS.

That's my 2 pence worth as it is exactly what I did when in the same boat. The only real feature I want on the 400d that the 450d has is spot metering but I would rather have the lenses instead...

Agreed.  There's a £125 price difference between the 400D & 450D.  That's way too much.

The 450D is basically designed to join the megapixel race with Nikon & Sony.
"I believed them fellas."
Thank you, Mr. Moores.

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: July 1, 2008, 10:57:17 am »
Guys,

If I snap in RAW do I need to know photoshop?

I've neglected my camera for a while but now im back on it.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #203 on: July 1, 2008, 11:03:27 am »
Guys,

I've neglected my camera for a while but now im back on it.

I think I'd be right in saying to need photoshop, but I wouldnt have said you need extensive photoshop knowlegde.

Offline grimreaper

• this is a new one... ok it's shite but it is a no-brainer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: July 1, 2008, 11:06:28 am »
Guys,

no, you just need a raw converter, but i use the one in photoshop - camera raw
« Last Edit: July 1, 2008, 11:08:18 am by grimreaper »

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: July 1, 2008, 11:08:17 am »
Depends what you want to do with the raw images, for viewing them you can get something as simple as Microsoft's RAW Viewer, for manipulation, you can get GIMP for free, or yes Photoshop also.
Yep.

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: July 1, 2008, 11:19:22 am »
I have Photoshop CS3 I think.

I have no idea how to use it. The most I can do is open the file. Anywhere I can get good tutorials.

Im on a mission to learn, and then move up the SLR ladder.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: July 1, 2008, 11:42:57 am »
www.radiantvista.com

Get Lightroom if you can though mate. It takes the pain out of digital workflow and RAW processing. Until LR I spent about 90% of my time in PS CS3. I now spend about 95% of my time in LR and 5% in CS3, and about 50% less time sorting and processing photos. Simply amazing piece of software.

Offline MolbysBigBelly

• Anny Roader
« Reply #208 on: July 2, 2008, 08:17:38 pm »
Not aimed at Sat, in particular...  if you're short of cash, DPP, the software that comes with Canon SLRs has a basic RAW converter built in.  If you  open the image, you can change basic things like brightness, contrast, colour temperature and then save as a jpeg.

I've just recently downloaded the upgrade for CaptureOne LE (4.1...) and I have Photoshop.  But the problem is, if it's more than one or two pics, it's a long winded process.

Currently shooting in RAW+JPEG but soon to go RAW only once I've ordered Lightroom.  Not sure when version 2 comes out and might wait.
« Last Edit: July 2, 2008, 08:19:25 pm by MolbysBigBelly »
Thank you, Mr. Moores.

Offline gray--

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Shake and bake baby. Shake and bake.
« Reply #209 on: July 2, 2008, 09:05:09 pm »
Got myself a Nikon D80 with an 18-135mm last week, am over the moon with it :)
"I used to write witty signatures for a living, now I just write signatures" - (gray--, July 2007)

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: July 4, 2008, 03:29:52 pm »
Not aimed at Sat, in particular...  if you're short of cash, DPP, the software that comes with Canon SLRs has a basic RAW converter built in.  If you  open the image, you can change basic things like brightness, contrast, colour temperature and then save as a jpeg.

I've just recently downloaded the upgrade for CaptureOne LE (4.1...) and I have Photoshop.  But the problem is, if it's more than one or two pics, it's a long winded process.

Currently shooting in RAW+JPEG but soon to go RAW only once I've ordered Lightroom.  Not sure when version 2 comes out and might wait.

I got myself lightroom, now just need to learn how to use it. Got photshop too, and again need to learn it.

Anyone know where I can get insurance? Not onnly do I want it for my cameras but also camcorder and laptop.

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: July 9, 2008, 09:57:12 am »
Ok, now im getting use to shutter speed, aperture, depth of field and so on, except circle of confusion, which im going round and round in. I want advise on a new lens which isnt expensive but will help in my development. Any ideas?

Thought I'd get myself a lens, and then find a good photography course which will send me on my way to becoming a freelance photographer.

What type of lens should I go for to help my progression?

Offline NatD

• Takes offence at authors and people who eat in restaurants.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: July 9, 2008, 12:48:11 pm »
"...waking up at 12 in my clothes again, feel my head explode from a night of Gin..."

Offline MolbysBigBelly

• Anny Roader
« Reply #213 on: July 10, 2008, 07:36:56 pm »
Sat, take a look here - unofficial Canon forum, you can get useful info in there:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php

Oh, and regards the insurance, pop into Jessops - they run a scheme with Domestic & General household insurance.
Thank you, Mr. Moores.

Offline grimreaper

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: July 10, 2008, 10:55:12 pm »
Sat, take a look here - unofficial Canon forum, you can get useful info in there:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php

best forum on the net that, bar none

some expert advise on there , all you need

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: July 12, 2008, 03:06:12 am »
Cheers guys, will go on there.

I have downloaded some tutorials on photoshop. I can view them on my work pc but at home im comming up with the following:

"The Camtasia Studio video content presented here requires JavaScript to be enabled and the latest version of the Macromedia Flash Player. If you are you using a browser with JavaScript disabled please enable it now. Otherwise, please update your version of the free Flash Player by downloading here.

I've downloaded the latest flash player and javascript is enabled on fiefox. Still keeps coming up with the message. Anyone know what im doing wrong?

Offline NatD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: July 19, 2008, 01:29:47 pm »
OK - have purchased my firs DSLR, a Canon 450D and with Cashback only cost me £375!!!!!  Am a total noob and have been lurking on AV Forums, as well as the site posted above (POTN).

I am just looking for some general hints, tips, pointers on what everything means (settings / ISO / DoF / etc).

Any guides worth reading, or should I just get out there and shoot?
"...waking up at 12 in my clothes again, feel my head explode from a night of Gin..."

Offline grimreaper

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: July 19, 2008, 01:47:45 pm »
OK - have purchased my firs DSLR, a Canon 450D and with Cashback only cost me £375!!!!!  Am a total noob and have been lurking on AV Forums, as well as the site posted above (POTN).

I am just looking for some general hints, tips, pointers on what everything means (settings / ISO / DoF / etc).

Any guides worth reading, or should I just get out there and shoot?

read this link

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=414088

thats a good place to start

Offline NatD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: July 19, 2008, 02:13:07 pm »
Thanks GR - very useful!

Offline mickl

• many mickls makes a muckl
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #219 on: September 27, 2008, 09:08:38 am »
Take a look at this beauty. It does video, too.

Nikon are the Everton of the camera world - forever in Canon's shadow.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_5d2_3d_7d.html

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #220 on: September 27, 2008, 11:44:37 pm »

Would love one of those. Unfortunately well off my price range until my 350D starts earning me monies.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: September 28, 2008, 12:40:21 am »

sadly wrong there. Nikon is lovely. Probably the same as Canon but the same, - I prefer their lens to Canons and there's not much difference as opposed to the small blue thing that is Everton,
Yep.

Offline liverpoolfcmike

• custom title thread lurker - easily amused
  • Legacy Fan
  • through the wind and rain (and fog)
« Reply #222 on: September 28, 2008, 05:54:46 pm »

sadly wrong there. Nikon is lovely. Probably the same as Canon but the same, - I prefer their lens to Canons and there's not much difference as opposed to the small blue thing that is Everton,

Yeah me too.

I'm deciding on whether to get a Nikon or a Canon for christmas though.

I only recently got back into photography and am thinking of taking it for A-Level. My compact camera (Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5) has a lot of good features for a compact, but I'd like to be able to be more in control of what I am doing.

Oh and the better quality + zoom range is very tasty.

What would you recommend for me - price range of about £300-£500?

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: September 28, 2008, 08:42:37 pm »
Either would do you well. There's really not much difference between them, you could get a very very good 2nd hand D-SLR for the money.

I prefer Nikon but that's only because I bought a Nikon first, some will prefer Canon..
Yep.

Offline liverpoolfcmike

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: September 28, 2008, 09:36:45 pm »
Either would do you well. There's really not much difference between them, you could get a very very good 2nd hand D-SLR for the money.

I prefer Nikon but that's only because I bought a Nikon first, some will prefer Canon..

Oh right, well my uncle has a Canon EOS D30 which he bought a few years ago and i used that, pretty big and bulky but the pictures i produced were really nice, so that convinced me to try and get a dslr and size isnt really a factor seeing as i have a good compact camera.

Anyway, you seem pretty keen on photography, do you need it for your profession?

Offline gray--

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Shake and bake baby. Shake and bake.
« Reply #225 on: September 28, 2008, 09:52:10 pm »
Anyone put their pics online on flickr?  Got an address?
"I used to write witty signatures for a living, now I just write signatures" - (gray--, July 2007)

Offline liverpoolfcmike

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: September 28, 2008, 10:44:55 pm »
Anyone put their pics online on flickr?  Got an address?

I have Flickr but am not too keen on it.

Try deviantART: http://michaelcass.deviantart.com/

That's my one... although it isn't very good at the moment, haven't had my camera for very long...

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #227 on: September 28, 2008, 11:14:36 pm »

Offline WheelOfCheese

• Anny Roader
  • Are you my Caucasian?
« Reply #228 on: September 30, 2008, 10:00:47 am »
Hello there,

I know nothing really about camera when it come to lens' and mm measurements of zooms and stuff like that, and all the stuff I read on pixmania & google only makes sense to a point.

I'm looking to get a decent camera for anywhere up to £500 (maybe a bit more if I can persuade work to chip in :) ) preferable around 10 megapixel, 6x zoom, with a decent wide angle, or with a wide angle lens, and a tripod.

Has anyone come accross anything they can reccomend, or advise as to where I should be looking?

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #229 on: September 30, 2008, 10:50:36 am »
Hello there,

I know nothing really about camera when it come to lens' and mm measurements of zooms and stuff like that, and all the stuff I read on pixmania & google only makes sense to a point.

I'm looking to get a decent camera for anywhere up to £500 (maybe a bit more if I can persuade work to chip in :) ) preferable around 10 megapixel, 6x zoom, with a decent wide angle, or with a wide angle lens, and a tripod.

Has anyone come accross anything they can reccomend, or advise as to where I should be looking?

If your looking for SLR, then the EOS 1000D might be a good start. It's canons new entry level SLR. Looks decent. Below is a link with that camera and canons basic 18-55mm lens, 18mm being wide angle. Once you get more competent you can also invest in better lenses but that one is ok for starting out (well it's what I started with anyway!)

http://www.jessops.com/Store/s75075/0/Digital-SLRs/Canon/EOS-1000D-%2b-18-55-IS-Lens/details.aspx?&IsSearch=y&pageindex=1&CatId=481&ManIds=1159,&SortBy=SkuOfferingPriceASC&IsInStockOnly=False&comp=y

If you scroll down on that page you can see it in a bundle with a tripod, bag and memory card for £464.

If your not looking to go for an SLR yet then the Panasonic Lumix series looks decent. http://www.jessops.com/Store/s73867/1-136-236/Home/Cameras--and--Lenses/Digital-Compact-Cameras/Panasonic/Lumix-DMC-TZ5-Digital-Camera-(Black)/details.aspx Not sure about tripod options on this though, or how in control it allows you to be. Best bet is go ask in somewhere like Jessops as they usually know their stuff quite well.

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: October 7, 2008, 01:12:53 pm »
Im enjoying my camera and learning new things. Im kind of lost on full frame? I know the 5D is full frame and mine isnt. Can someone simplify that for me?

On behalf of my mate:

Got £1500 to spend on a camera, should he go for a Canon D40 and purchase a couple of good lenses or go all out and get the Canon 5D with kit lense?

« Last Edit: October 7, 2008, 03:03:00 pm by Sat1 »

Offline grimreaper

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: October 7, 2008, 02:00:39 pm »
The 40D and 50D are crop cameras and got a crop factor of 1.6, so a 24mm lens on a 5D is 24mm , but on a crop camera it has the FOV of 38mm ,

I went the crop root and got a 30D a couple year ago but I am seriously thinking of getting a 5D, even though the new 5D mark 2 is coming out soon

The think is think about what you use the camera for , if its for taking pics of people or landscapes then the 5D will be the best , but if its birds or wildlife then the 40D or 50D might be a better option as the crop factor of these will help get in closer

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #232 on: October 7, 2008, 02:08:19 pm »
Im enjoying my camera and learning new things. Im kind of lost on full frame? I know the 5D is full frame and mine isnt. Can someone simplify that for me?

On behave of my mate:

Got £1500 to spend on a camera, should he go for a Canon D40 and purchase a couple of good lenses or go all out and get the Canon 5D with kit lense?

personally I'd get the new 5D when it comes out but I'm of course basing that on my own needs!

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: October 7, 2008, 03:23:14 pm »
personally I'd get the new 5D when it comes out but I'm of course basing that on my own needs!

Expensive though, no room for a new lense, while with the D40 theres money for a couple of lenses, or a L lens

You been snapping away for long? Or you as recent to this as I am? Impressed with your snaps. I really need to get out more to snap away.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #234 on: October 7, 2008, 04:42:55 pm »
Expensive though, no room for a new lense, while with the D40 theres money for a couple of lenses, or a L lens

You been snapping away for long? Or you as recent to this as I am? Impressed with your snaps. I really need to get out more to snap away.

Yeah but the 5d is well worth it in my opinion. The 40d doesn't seem compatible with the majority of lenses I've looked at in the past, but that's explained by the above poster. Get the camera then save for a new lens!

Cheers for looking at my pics, I've been snapping for about a year and a half. Started with a fuji SLR type thing that you couldn't remove the lens of, now have a 350D and I bought a 30mm sigma F1.4 lens (which is pretty bloody tasty for the price!) to replace the standard 18-55mm that canon do. Looking at getting another sigma lens around x-mas, the 10-20mm. Should give me a nice range for landscape shots then.

I'm thinking of doing it professionally soon, but it's a question of if I can get the work or not! Trying to get a decent portfolio together just now.

Offline MolbysBigBelly

• Anny Roader
« Reply #235 on: October 8, 2008, 08:06:41 pm »
Matt, I don't know what lenses you've looked at, but any of the Canon lenses produced in the last 15 years will fit on the 40D.

It will take both EF and EF- mount lenses.  T

The full frame bodies like the 5D and 5DmkII, however can't use the EF-S mount lenses.

In fact, I have a 40D and I've used an old EF 28-80, EF75-300 which were both bought about 12 years ago with my film SLR, an  EOS 5.

I mostly use the EF-S 17-85IS lens that came with the camera because it's got the wide angle plus image stabilisation.

Also before buying a lens, have a look at the POTN website I posted previously.  The forums are full of knowledgable posters and will point you in the right direction...   http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php
Thank you, Mr. Moores.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #236 on: October 9, 2008, 12:05:25 pm »
Matt, I don't know what lenses you've looked at, but any of the Canon lenses produced in the last 15 years will fit on the 40D.

It will take both EF and EF- mount lenses.  T

The full frame bodies like the 5D and 5DmkII, however can't use the EF-S mount lenses.

In fact, I have a 40D and I've used an old EF 28-80, EF75-300 which were both bought about 12 years ago with my film SLR, an  EOS 5.

I mostly use the EF-S 17-85IS lens that came with the camera because it's got the wide angle plus image stabilisation.

Also before buying a lens, have a look at the POTN website I posted previously.  The forums are full of knowledgable posters and will point you in the right direction...   http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php

Usually look at sigma lenses - can't really afford to look at canon ones just yet! Perhaps I just misunderstood!

Offline hansen6

• RAWK Scientific Officer, 1687-1905
  • Legacy Fan
  • Must post more

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #238 on: October 9, 2008, 01:23:05 pm »
Guys, can anyone tell me the downsides of this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000KIX65S/ref=s9sdps_c4_23_img1-rfc_g1-frt_p-3102_g1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1T8VT6176MDCXD2YF4J7&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=222506491&pf_rd_i=468294 It's a Nikon D40, 220 quid.

only one I can see is that its only 6mp, which could possibly pose a problem if your wanting to sell large prints of your photos. Apart from that it looks a good one to start with and a very decent price.

£100 more though will get you a D60: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D60-Digital-SLR-Camera/dp/B00131Z1GS/ref=pd_cp_ce_2?pf_rd_p=136153791&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000KIX65S&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1MDK7T8XD26KDYGAH50M

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: October 9, 2008, 01:30:16 pm »
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mshaw85

Lovely images, but they're all 'shopped' to fuck.  In my opinion, that isn't strictly photography but makes for a good bunch of posters.