Author Topic: Argos Catalogue To Stop Printing- No More Circling Kiddies  (Read 2167 times)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jul/30/argos-to-stop-printing-catalogue-after-almost-50-years?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Argos is to stop printing its catalogue after almost 50 years as the buying bible once found in three-quarters of British homes is claimed by the inexorable move to online shopping.

Over 1bn copies of the bi-annual catalogue have been printed since its launch in 1973, and at its height it was Europe’s most widely-printed publication, with only the bible in more homes across the UK.

But now Argos is to close regular printing of the title, with the retailer saying that online shopping offers “greater convenience” than flicking through its print catalogue.

Coronavirus has hammered the publishing industry and seen numerous titles closed, but the company said the pandemic was not responsible for the decision to cease printing.

The catalogue has had its celebrity moments over the years. The comedian Alan Carr chose it as the one book he would take when he appeared on Radio 4’s Desert Island Discs, and stars from Arnold Schwarzenegger and Tess Daly to Holly Willoughby and Emma Bunton have plugged products in its pages.

However, the popularity of the catalogue has been in decline in recent years as the internet increasingly gains sway over shoppers’ buying habits.

Over the last decade the number of printed copies of each editionhas dropped from about 10m to about 3m. The most recent one, printed in January before the coronavirus pandemic hit, ran to 3.9m.

“Over the decades the Argos catalogue has charted the nation’s changing tastes and trends in everything from must-have toys to the latest gadgets and devices,” said Mark Given, chief marketing officer at Sainsbury’s, which owns Argos.

“Just as our customers’ tastes have changed over the years, so have their shopping habits. We are seeing an increasing shift towards digital shopping, using our mobile app, website and in-store browsers. Closing the book on the catalogue will help us focus on delivering exciting and inspiring digital shopping experiences to meet the changing needs of our customers.”

Argos said it wouldcontinue to produce its Christmas Gift Guide, which will still be available in all stores this year.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Argos Catalogue To Stop Printing- No More Circling Kiddies
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 11:31:18 am »
Up until 5 years ago, I was in the printing industry, thank god I'm not anymore, it's finished.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 11:33:17 am »
Used to be the highlight of the kids year when it came out looking at the toys they wouldn't get for Xmas.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 11:36:47 am »
Used to be the highlight of the kids year when it came out looking at the toys they wouldn't get for Xmas.

I’ve just said the same on Twitter, I was always desperate for a Screwball Scramble.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 11:48:19 am »
'I want that, I want that, I want that, I want that and I want that' 

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 12:09:16 pm »
I’ve just said the same on Twitter, I was always desperate for a Screwball Scramble.

Still got mine up in the loft.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2020, 12:13:21 pm »
'I want that, I want that, I want that, I want that and I want that'

And that's just you, what about your kids?  ;D

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 01:27:39 pm »
Up until 5 years ago, I was in the printing industry, thank god I'm not anymore, it's finished.
And it is a shame. Like with music, the loss of physical media means something (more than a mere change of format).
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2020, 01:41:40 pm »
Didn't even know they were still printed, talk about ancient history! Used to spend hours going through the toy section and especially the technology section with the Walkmans and portable CD players

Offline tanvir

• Kopite
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2020, 01:50:00 pm »
Epic nostalgia here... especially the early-mid 90s ones:

https://issuu.com/retromash

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2020, 02:07:09 pm »
Easly to Mid 80's for me......Mum to sister and I "are you going to write your christmas list to send to father christmas ?" response "pass us the argos catalogue and we will let you know"
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2020, 02:34:48 pm »
there goes another childhood memory. Can we just skip 2020 please.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2020, 02:55:26 pm »
there goes another childhood memory. Can we just skip 2020 please.

.....nightly newsround ending was announced the other day.....
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2020, 03:08:34 pm »
Good.
Terrible waste of resources.

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2020, 03:10:49 pm »

This is absolute gold, so many memories especially the 80's ones. My childhood brain was exploding; the Weider super strength builder with the grinning picture of Arnie, the Pot Black snooker table with Steve Davis, wanting the Kodak Ektra camera with the cool handle but your parents got you the fucking Halina instead that lasted 5 minutes. Ahhhh, those were the days when the Argos winter catalogue was the highlight of the year.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2020, 03:15:06 pm »
What about the Argos v Index Wars?  ;D

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2020, 06:30:39 pm »
It was a few months ago now, pre-covid, but my Mum was telling me argos is doing great business now and that the 'shop' in Southport was packed. Which baffled me, I have to say

I remember as a teen I bought a weight set there and had to carry it back to Southport train station then back to my house in Formby. By the end I was having to put it down every 10 yards or so for a breather, people noticed, and oh were they amused  :-[

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2020, 12:13:58 pm »
Didn't even know they were still printed, talk about ancient history! Used to spend hours going through the toy section and especially the technology section with the Walkmans and portable CD players

Yep i was the same, would always pick up a catalogue, take home, then browse the tech section,  when you had the money go down order what you wanted in the catalogue, only for them not to have it in stock in the store.
#Sausages

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2020, 12:20:14 pm »

Brilliant ;D

Offline Qston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2020, 02:11:25 pm »

You forget how expensive electronic stuff was back in the 80's. Most of the updated versions are cheaper now. I am going to start looking for a calculator digital watch again. Height of tech that

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2020, 05:55:26 pm »
And it is a shame. Like with music, the loss of physical media means something (more than a mere change of format).

Dont worry there wont be anything in the future. Maybe only grocery shops but just like the rest retail will also disappear to be replaced by warehouses.

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: August 1, 2020, 12:32:34 pm »

There will always be printed media. Smaller, yes, finished, no.

Offline Devastatin' Dave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: August 1, 2020, 01:12:51 pm »
Dont worry there wont be anything in the future. Maybe only grocery shops but just like the rest retail will also disappear to be replaced by warehouses.

I disagree to an extent, there will be physical retail in places with high levels of tourism, while luxury brands will persist with physical stores. Less perhaps but it won’t disappear, a retail store in the right location will still be pretty profitable in 10 years time.

That said, the central and capital costs behind retail stores are pretty huge; retail operations, development, merchandising/allocation, maintenance capex etc. So true ‘contribution‘ is definitely dwindling.

In agreement with your grocery shops point. I don’t believe that online grocery shopping is currently profitable for supermarkets (I believe Tesco isn’t anyway), so it’s not currently an ideal model yet.

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #23 on: August 1, 2020, 01:24:22 pm »
.....nightly newsround ending was announced the other day.....

your not going to tell me that edd the duck is not real as well are you??

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: August 1, 2020, 01:58:10 pm »
It was a few months ago now, pre-covid, but my Mum was telling me argos is doing great business now and that the 'shop' in Southport was packed. Which baffled me, I have to say

I remember as a teen I bought a weight set there and had to carry it back to Southport train station then back to my house in Formby. By the end I was having to put it down every 10 yards or so for a breather, people noticed, and oh were they amused  :-[

Did exactly the same when I was 11. Bought my first weight set (those nasty gold vinyl York ones) from Argos and was a nightmare walking back home with it. Thought I'd wake up with guns like arnie the next day.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: August 1, 2020, 02:33:00 pm »
I disagree to an extent, there will be physical retail in places with high levels of tourism, while luxury brands will persist with physical stores. Less perhaps but it won’t disappear, a retail store in the right location will still be pretty profitable in 10 years time.

That said, the central and capital costs behind retail stores are pretty huge; retail operations, development, merchandising/allocation, maintenance capex etc. So true ‘contribution‘ is definitely dwindling.

In agreement with your grocery shops point. I don’t believe that online grocery shopping is currently profitable for supermarkets (I believe Tesco isn’t anyway), so it’s not currently an ideal model yet.

How many areas have luxury stores?

Offline Devastatin' Dave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: August 1, 2020, 02:49:46 pm »
Major tourism cities, but I never said the high street/city centre in say Coventry will thrive.

They are losing their Ikea already.

Saying there won’t be anything in the future as you said earlier is hyperbole, so I was making a point that retail won’t disappear completely.
« Last Edit: August 1, 2020, 02:52:13 pm by Devastatin' Dave »

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: August 1, 2020, 03:15:55 pm »
Major tourism cities, but I never said the high street/city centre in say Coventry will thrive.

They are losing their Ikea already.

Saying there won’t be anything in the future as you said earlier is hyperbole, so I was making a point that retail won’t disappear completely.

Maybe there will be a few stores but very, very few. Unfortunately its just the way its going with online and Covid had just sped it up.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: August 1, 2020, 05:28:34 pm »
Maybe there will be a few stores but very, very few. Unfortunately its just the way its going with online and Covid had just sped it up.

I agree,the "high street" cannot compete & outside of the big cities is dying a slow death,it needs to move on from retail into services and entertainment.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Amatt

• Amoo, Amass.....
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #30 on: August 2, 2020, 09:34:08 pm »
“No more circling kiddies”. Is that the Jeffrey Epstein / Prince Andrew version?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 2, 2020, 11:27:49 pm »

It is now they did away with Tesco Direct,that drained money.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill