Author Topic: Shooting From the Hip, Speaking From the Heart  (Read 11359 times)

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Shooting From the Hip, Speaking From the Heart
« Reply #40 on: March 6, 2005, 10:50:59 am »
Moving onto euphemisms now? Shame on you.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #41 on: March 6, 2005, 11:35:36 am »
Bloody beautiful.
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline Cambo

• Kemlynite
  • Yeats, Hyypia, The Colossus of Anfield Rhodes
« Reply #42 on: March 6, 2005, 09:08:07 pm »
Speaking from the heart - always
Shooting from the hip - never

Keep at it in all respects, both RAWK and life outside!

Good things generally come to those who deserve it and work hard.

Agree wholeheartedly on the last line - and that is you Mr Tomkins. Through "a storm" you have held your head high, worked hard, and always maintained your dignity and high standards.

Respect.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: March 6, 2005, 09:56:18 pm »
Thanks guys  :)

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: March 7, 2005, 11:24:26 am »
don't think you have to justify yourself Paul re your past etc what with football being so subjective, we all feel we have valid points.

But your style of writing and the care through which you put together your pieces is one of the joys of reading this site, its like stumbling across a Liverpool article in a newspaper that you didn't expect to find.

i think postive responses to ones work always helps us with our own self esteem but especially when writing is your work. Its a good job you're good at it ! :D
Yep.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: March 7, 2005, 11:26:17 am »
But your style of writing and the care through which you put together your pieces is one of the joys of reading this site, its like stumbling across a Liverpool article in a newspaper that you didn't expect to find.

Cheers, Michael. Hopefully see you at the Bolton game  :wave

Offline Bazmeen

• Anny Roader
  • Let me tell you the story of a poor boy
    • Dollymount FC - Official Site
« Reply #46 on: March 7, 2005, 11:32:51 am »
Excellent read, enjoyed it thoroughly as i do all your articles.  I very much liked the part about having to prove yourself as a real fan, thats always been a pet hate of mine, and as has been mentioned i feel you have put that in perspective perfectly, cheers mate. Best of luck with the book, I have emailed my interest.
Fuck the Meek.................The Meek aint gonna inherit shit !

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #47 on: March 7, 2005, 11:34:42 am »
its like stumbling across a Liverpool article in a newspaper that you didn't expect to find.

Yes.  And a proper analytical one among all those hens teeth there are scattered about.   The times I've scoured page upon page and thought "And the match report and a decent article is where - exactly".  So  now I read RAWK in general and Mr Tomkins in particular.
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: March 7, 2005, 11:47:29 am »
Yes.  And a proper analytical one among all those hens teeth there are scattered about.   The times I've scoured page upon page and thought "And the match report and a decent article is where - exactly".  So  now I read RAWK in general and Mr Tomkins in particular.

too true too true

Cheers, Michael. Hopefully see you at the Bolton game  :wave

that'd be smashing mate
Yep.

Offline Byrnee

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are Magic, Everton are Tragic
« Reply #49 on: March 7, 2005, 06:01:30 pm »
As usual mate, another fine piece of work. Honest, open and heartfelt. There is a refreshing viewpoint in most of your work, be it an uplifting piece after a terrible performance, or a 'grounding' piece after an impressive win. You may not admit to outright optimism - and you're lying (just kidding  ;)) - but your work always makes me feel optimistic.

You've opened up a can of worms now regarding the book signings cos I'll want one too, along with a fair few others no doubt! (If thats ok fella)  :wave

Are you going to get ir reviewed by the football mags? WSC etc? Could be worth a go to build up the potential readership. Your work puts most of the so-called journalists out there to shame.

It's hard to balance optimism, cynacism, fact and theory, but to do this and throw in a little humour especially when dealing with obviously very personal issues takes a lot of skill, and a lot of guts.

Every piece you put on here just confirms to me what I already knew, that this will be a book worth waiting for.

Good luck with it, I can't wait!
 :wave
'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.'
Bill Shankly

01 06 22 23 47 64 66 73 76 77 79 80 82 83 84 86 88 90 20

77 78 81 84 05 19

At The End Of The Storm I

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: March 7, 2005, 06:06:50 pm »
Cheers, Byrnee - much appreciated.

Had thought about getting it reviewed in magazines, will send it and see!  :wave

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: March 7, 2005, 08:31:23 pm »
Enough already! Just publish the book and tell me where I can get my copy!
I never realised what the point was in newspapers serialising books until I read part of one that really interests me just now.
You'd best make sure it's available on Amazon or somewhere where us expats can get hold of a copy.

As always, a real pleasure to read. Someone really ought to be paying you to write. And providing you with a secretary, so you don't have to type yourself.

Have you ever tried dictation software? It's not terribly good (at least, it wasn't five years ago when I last tried it), but you could probably cut down your typing a lot.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: March 7, 2005, 08:43:06 pm »
Cheers Wacko, will be sending all over world, and it will be on Amazon. I'll add your name to the list :wave

Had thought about dictation software, might be something to look into. Not sure there's any available for Apple Macs  ???

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: March 7, 2005, 11:38:34 pm »
Cheers Wacko, will be sending all over world, and it will be on Amazon. I'll add your name to the list :wave

Had thought about dictation software, might be something to look into. Not sure there's any available for Apple Macs  ???

You can get ViaVoice, I'm sure. OS X already has voice recognition built in to it, and the upcoming version, Tiger, will have "VoiceOver" (http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/voiceover.html , http://www.apple.com/accessibility/voiceover/), though I think that's more something for visually impaired users. I wish I could say more, but I've only had my Mac for 4 months now and I'm still learning how this gorgeous system works.

Some more info:
http://www.macgamesandmore.com/assistivetechnologymac.html
http://store.macspeech.com/detail.html?sku=EDiListen1.00&cart=330222684239148 (this looks interesting for you)

Might be able to help you get your hands on some of that software, if it means more great articles  ;)
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: March 8, 2005, 06:15:14 am »
Dear Paul,

Now that i have the strength  ::) to crawl out of my hole after the last two defeats (so as to avoid the some justified, some not negativisms of the internet community), I look again and find an article from you.  Not a view of the games or our situation as I expected, but definitely one I would never miss.  So much sentiments are shared.   It must be one of the most unforgettable - and surely the most moving - of your vast collection of good work.

Alas, Liverpool Football Club is not a life and death issue.  However,  it has made my life - and dare I say many lives - fuller.   It has given us joy though as much "sorrow".  It - still - is beautiful.  Most important, it has given us this:

You'll Never Walk Alone

I am sure you will continue to find strength and beauty in life.  Just remember there are always thoughts on you from this side of the world.   

Connie

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: March 8, 2005, 08:38:23 am »
I wish I could say more, but I've only had my Mac for 4 months now and I'm still learning how this gorgeous system works.

A fellow Mac user! I've had one for years, but only got OSX a year ago.

Thanks for that, mate. Will look into it.  :wave

Connie - as ever, thanks a lot mate  :wave

Offline Ray Davies

• Main Stander
« Reply #56 on: March 8, 2005, 12:58:48 pm »
Dear Paul,

As You know I’m a dedicated follower of You (and not fashion for once), and I always put a link to your article about Ici Anfield (French Forum on Liverpool FC)?

I do appreciate so much your article, because it is so well written and you always provide us with a clever, relevant and in depth analysis …

But this is is even better, you’ve had the courage to open yourself to us, and this gives a marvellous though tough piece of real literature !

I now know you’ve been going through hard time and I offer you all my sympathy, and you account are very meaningful to all of us I believe, certainly for me … Now, I know what perspective means either in English or in French !

Bravo et Allez Paul !
YNWA

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: March 8, 2005, 01:06:19 pm »
Cheers, Arnaud!  :wave

I'll resist replying with more Kinks' puns!

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: March 8, 2005, 01:35:10 pm »
Another good read. I do enjoy reading your posts/articles, helps my dinner hour fly by.

It is strange though how football seems to be the most important thing in life. I remember a few years ago, I was staying at my brothers a couple of weeks after getting out of hospital. The docs said it was extremely serious,it was my heart, but what it was they weren't sure. From what I could gather though, me being alive in 12 months time from then was looking unlikely. Was I bothered about this? Was I hell, I was more pissed off that the Reds were drawing 3-3 at home to Charlton.

Hope everything goes well with the book, looking forward to getting my copy.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: March 8, 2005, 02:01:13 pm »
Another good read. I do enjoy reading your posts/articles, helps my dinner hour fly by.

It is strange though how football seems to be the most important thing in life. I remember a few years ago, I was staying at my brothers a couple of weeks after getting out of hospital. The docs said it was extremely serious,it was my heart, but what it was they weren't sure. From what I could gather though, me being alive in 12 months time from then was looking unlikely. Was I bothered about this? Was I hell, I was more pissed off that the Reds were drawing 3-3 at home to Charlton.

Hope everything goes well with the book, looking forward to getting my copy.

Cheers, Rob  :wave

ps. you can read my stuff in just an hour?  ;)

Offline Bootle Buck

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #60 on: March 8, 2005, 02:26:03 pm »
Paul that was a very well written peioce from the heart. I look forward to your upcoming book as I do your columns. Keep up the good work.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: March 8, 2005, 02:53:33 pm »

Cheers, Rob  :wave

ps. you can read my stuff in just an hour?  ;)

Nope, that's why I'm on now when I should be working ;D
Jurgen YNWA

Offline straw_donkey

• Main Stander
  • A Red in Jerusalem
« Reply #62 on: March 8, 2005, 07:05:53 pm »
Excellent piece Paul.

I mean you are always sharing  your feelings an' all, but this time you've been more personal than most times.

So your book's gonna be on Amazon? I'll look forward to reading that, m8, once I get my hands on a copy.

A red in Jerusalem.   :wave
I'm left, and I'm right.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: March 8, 2005, 07:21:20 pm »
Excellent piece Paul.

I mean you are always sharing  your feelings an' all, but this time you've been more personal than most times.

So your book's gonna be on Amazon? I'll look forward to reading that, m8, once I get my hands on a copy.

A red in Jerusalem.   :wave

:wave