Author Topic: Liverpool's Midfield  (Read 1808555 times)

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Re: Liverpool's Midfield
« Reply #8080 on: March 22, 2015, 04:06:47 pm »
What do people make of Henderson and Allen's performance today?

That first half was the worst I've seen from both in a really long time. Second half was better.

Could have done with some help from Coutinho and Lallana dropping back.

They were outnumbered.  Thought Henderson had the worse game but feel both were left too exposed by the two ahead of them, every time Henderson or Allen were on the ball they were pressed and harried by two or three United players.

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #8081 on: March 22, 2015, 04:07:38 pm »
Worst in a long time. Especially Henderson who went hiding. Very disappointing.

He wasn't exactly hiding though. As Mug has said they overloaded the midfield and that fucked up both Allen and Hendo. Also don't forget that superb pass he had for Sturridge who did great to put it on a plate for Lallana.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #8082 on: March 22, 2015, 04:08:33 pm »
I think Sterling should have played where Lallana was. He could have pressed much better high up the field and have the legs to support Henderson and Allen.

Offline lorenzo23

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8083 on: March 22, 2015, 04:13:30 pm »
Personally the first half was down to numbers for me, When we did win the ball back and look to break or keep hold of the ball it was just 3 players most of the time. Our wingbacks didn't help and step into midfield to make it a 5, while man u with and without the ball had pretty much 5 in middle of park.
Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez admitted after the match that the manner of his side's victory had stunned him and he stated: "My problem is that I don't have words to express the things that I feel at this moment"

Offline Ste08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8084 on: March 22, 2015, 04:14:07 pm »
Where the game was lost. I never understood why we bought Lallana and trying to shoehorn him into the team over players who are better than him does no one any favors. Sterling and Phil are both better than him in his best position.

How I miss the days of Masch and Xabi in there. Hendo and Allen are alright but when the going got tough they were nowhere to be seen today. We need a qualtiy midfielder in the summer as a priority.

Offline lorenzo23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8085 on: March 22, 2015, 04:14:14 pm »
Adam needs to be fighting for place with Coutinho we can't keep putting Sterling at wingback, its not worked last 2 games in a row.
Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez admitted after the match that the manner of his side's victory had stunned him and he stated: "My problem is that I don't have words to express the things that I feel at this moment"

Offline Lemieux

• Kopite
« Reply #8086 on: March 22, 2015, 04:16:17 pm »
When we sit with two instead of one we just don't pressure the other team enough.  I didn't like the formation once saw how we setup.  Henderson is at his best high up the pitch pressing and causing problems.  Today wasn't on the players as much as it was on Brendan.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #8087 on: March 22, 2015, 04:16:40 pm »
And Lallana and Coutinho. The problem wasn't really that we were outnumbered in midfield (certainly in the first half)

Lallana's a passenger and as good as Coutinho is he's an attacking player. You have to win the midfield battle in this fixture. We were naive because it worked against City who gave us all the time and space in the world.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #8088 on: March 22, 2015, 04:21:04 pm »
He wasn't exactly hiding though. As Mug has said they overloaded the midfield and that fucked up both Allen and Hendo. Also don't forget that superb pass he had for Sturridge who did great to put it on a plate for Lallana.
He was literally hiding, avoiding the ball. Every time the CBs had the ball Henderson walked 20 meters up the pitch in the middle of the mancs andjust stood there.  And he hardly had a run in the box all game. Allen tried, but he was outnumbered. Henderson had awful passing all game too, just like Allen.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8089 on: March 22, 2015, 04:21:13 pm »
Lallana's a passenger and as good as Coutinho is he's an attacking player. You have to win the midfield battle in this fixture. We were naive because it worked against City who gave us all the time and space in the world.
But we still weren't theoretically outnumbered. Coutinho and Lallana were trying, certainly early on, to press them. If United had the ball on one side, the player of the two on that side would close down and the other would mark Carrick. We did have a 4v3 in midfield theoretically. The problem is what we did with it. The pressure in the first half went down too early and too easily. That combined with their genuinely good moving of the ball meant they controlled the first half. But it wasn't because we had less players in midfield.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8090 on: March 22, 2015, 04:23:10 pm »
It didn't make any sense starting with the same setup that we did against the swans as we were total shite aginst them to in the 1st half before we changed it.

We were over loaded in the middle of the park.  It was so obvious.  I thought bringing Lucas on for Lallana would've sorted it but we will never know.

I don't think Lallana should be starting ahead of Sterling in their prefered positions.  He's a great option to have but I think Sterling offers a more direct goal threat through the middle, plus he can get behind and join up with Sturridge.

We need runners from the midfield to join our striker or play with another up top as he was pretty well isolated today.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8091 on: March 22, 2015, 04:25:22 pm »
When we sit with two instead of one we just don't pressure the other team enough.  I didn't like the formation once saw how we setup.  Henderson is at his best high up the pitch pressing and causing problems.  Today wasn't on the players as much as it was on Brendan.

I agree with you.

We lost it tactically from the get go. Rogers should have changed it sooner

Offline Mamadou

• & Ariam. Reads RAWK in strip clubs, but does not post.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8092 on: March 22, 2015, 04:50:21 pm »
have we ever played henderson, allen and lucas at the same time?

Lucas
Hendo Allen

" Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack"

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #8093 on: March 22, 2015, 04:52:07 pm »
have we ever played henderson, allen and lucas at the same time?

Lucas
Hendo Allen

Yep, the stand-out was the 5-0 away at Spurs.  They played great against City on Boxing Day too before injuries took their toll.

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8094 on: March 22, 2015, 04:54:27 pm »
Adam needs to be fighting for place with Coutinho we can't keep putting Sterling at wingback, its not worked last 2 games in a row.
100%

Sterling out wide is a waste of his talent. Adam will have to compete for that number 10 position

Offline maninblack

• Main Stander
« Reply #8095 on: March 22, 2015, 04:54:30 pm »
It's mind boggling that Emre Can can't get into our abortion of a midfield.

As far away from the starting line up as possible.
TBF he was in the midfield against Blackburn and after that match a lot of people were saying how not having Allen in that match proved his worth and he was possibly the worst player today.

Offline Mamadou

• & Ariam. Reads RAWK in strip clubs, but does not post.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8096 on: March 22, 2015, 04:55:06 pm »
Yep, the stand-out was the 5-0 away at Spurs.  They played great against City on Boxing Day too before injuries took their toll.

cheers.. i forgot about Spurs.  Deffo we should start them when we want to win the midfield battle
" Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack"

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #8097 on: March 22, 2015, 04:57:36 pm »
I'd be intrigued to see us go with a diamond of Lucas, Allen, Henderson and Coutinho with Sterling pushed up alongside Sturridge. 

Online Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8098 on: March 22, 2015, 04:58:34 pm »
Allen always seems to be bleeding.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8099 on: March 22, 2015, 05:04:45 pm »
Without doubt the area in need of a first team player. Lucas is first choice as far as i am concerned and we need another midfielder who can control the possession.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #8100 on: March 22, 2015, 05:09:56 pm »
Without doubt the area in need of a first team player. Lucas is first choice as far as i am concerned and we need another midfielder who can control the possession.

Depends on whether Gerrard is the only one to go though.  Allen is negotiating a new contract so he'll be here, Henderson will hopefully sort his own contract out and looks favourite to be the new captain if/when he does re-sign with us.  I wouldn't necessarily count on Lucas still being here, I'd like him to be but I'm not sure that he will.  Can will be here but its not clear in what position that will be.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 05:11:56 pm by Djimi Smicer »

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8101 on: March 22, 2015, 05:13:00 pm »
Worried about Henderson as our next captain.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Currently flying solo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • What planet is Garrincha from?
« Reply #8102 on: March 22, 2015, 05:15:05 pm »
Worried about Henderson as our next captain.
Same.

I do not endorse Gerrard stamping on people but I fear for our midfield with Allen and Henderson in it. Not because they are not technically good enough.
'You put Pele face-to-face with me and I'll tell him: Pelé - you, me, any so-and-so...we can't deal with Garrincha, he's better than all of us.' Eusebio

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8103 on: March 22, 2015, 05:16:16 pm »
Let's take Gerrard out of it as hes' going by the end of this season.  So who are we left with?

Lucas
Henderson
Allen
Can

That's a midfield which won't get more than 10 goals a season for you with at least  8 coming from Hendo.  Lucas and Allen will get you one in 5 seasons for you between the pair of them and Can is the unknown but he doesn't give me the vibe of being a 10 + goals a season player.

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8104 on: March 22, 2015, 05:46:00 pm »
Our midfield does not get hold of games, it's not good enough. Henderson takes the safe option all the time. We just need a big signing or top player in there. We are simply too easy to boss and bully.
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #8105 on: March 22, 2015, 05:53:05 pm »
Our midfield does not get hold of games, it's not good enough. Henderson takes the safe option all the time. We just need a big signing or top player in there. We are simply too easy to boss and bully.
Thank you Captain Knee-Jerk.

Offline lorenzo23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8106 on: March 22, 2015, 06:03:48 pm »
Lol you know what i love best people who clearly don't watch football? was CM bad today yes by there standards. Were they helped that they were largely out numbered in midfield? no clearly not. I don't recall them being shit against Chelsea,Spurs/Everton/West Ham/Palace/City/Burnley /Villa in between that they have had ups and down like any CM pairing.

Any time something goes wrong people our so quick to call for change, you would think they have played 3/4 season and been dog shit as pairing.

As for worries about Henderson as Cap its dam shame he didn't get brought on like a true cap only to be sent off within mins.......... I don't recall people questioning him after the City goal. But because we loose a game(his first game as Captain we lost in league at least) and now he shit etc.

So many of you guys pointed out months ago that Gerrard has to play certain games this season as its his last etc etc etc...well

Manager got his tactics wrong plus players didn't turn up to perform while others just like the colour red. I would just call it bad day and if it happens next 8 games then we can worry about CM pairing.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 06:05:49 pm by lorenzo23 »

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8107 on: March 22, 2015, 06:06:33 pm »
Lol you know what i love best people who clearly don't watch football? was CM bad today yes by there standards. Were they helped that they were largely out numbered in midfield? no clearly not. I don't recall them being shit against Chelsea,Spurs/Everton/West Ham/Palace/City/Burnley /Villa in between that they have had ups and down like any CM pairing.

Any time something goes wrong people our so quick to call for change, you would think they have played 3/4 season and been dog shit as pairing.

As for worries about Henderson as Cap its dam shame he didn't get brought on like a true cap only to be sent off within mins.......... I don't recall people questioning him after the City goal. But because we loose a game(his first game as Captain we lost in league at least) and now he shit etc.

So many of you guys pointed out months ago that Gerrard has to play certain games this season as its his last etc etc etc...well

Manager got his tactics wrong plus players didn't turn up to perform while others just like the colour red. I would just call it bad day and if it happens next 8 games then we can worry about CM pairing.

The doubts were there when he was announced vice-captain.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #8108 on: March 22, 2015, 06:06:43 pm »
Same.

I do not endorse Gerrard stamping on people but I fear for our midfield with Allen and Henderson in it. Not because they are not technically good enough.

In terms of midfield, Allen and Henderson are good cogs in the machine but it needs someone of real quality to drive it or at least Lucas to sit and control.

Suarez & Sturridge were unbelievably good last season (Sterling and Coutinho too in the run in) but the midfield was average at best and easily got at. Now our attack isn't as good because of Suarez leaving and poor signings but the midfield wasn't improved. We're going to pay for last summer if we miss out on the CL.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 06:10:01 pm by Bitter Mug »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline dmorgan

• Started well, turned out a bit meh.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Going, Going....gone.
« Reply #8109 on: March 22, 2015, 06:07:30 pm »
Lol..one bad game and the knives are out in full force. This is the same midfield that dominated a much better Man City midfield. Yes we need more goals but seriously, calm the fuck down

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #8110 on: March 22, 2015, 06:08:26 pm »
This same midfield harassed City's "world class" players to bits only two weeks ago.

Offline Harris96

• Kopite
« Reply #8111 on: March 22, 2015, 06:10:26 pm »
Mental no one had these fears when they were bossing toure and fernando. Poor first half from hendo and allen, second Half we controlled the majority imo and that was with 10 men. Says a lot about their ability, we do need Another midfielder, but not as desperately as some seem to think

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8112 on: March 22, 2015, 06:11:51 pm »
This same midfield harassed City's "world class" players to bits only two weeks ago.

It did harass City's midfield. But we need more than that. We need them to control and dictate the game. Far too many times its very rumble tumble and chaotic in there. Get your foot on the ball, slow the game down and control the game. Lucas is the only one who can do that. Allen can a bit and Henderson cannot do that at all.

Offline swordfishtrombone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8113 on: March 22, 2015, 06:16:42 pm »
For all that we struggled to keep hold of the ball in the middle of the pitch I thought it looked like United concentrating on finding 3v2 situations out wide, especially in the first half.

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8114 on: March 22, 2015, 06:17:39 pm »

Hardly harassed. We were bullied today. Not good enough
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #8115 on: March 22, 2015, 06:32:56 pm »
Lol..one bad game and the knives are out in full force. This is the same midfield that dominated a much better Man City midfield. Yes we need more goals but seriously, calm the fuck down
Agree. They were shite, but that happens. And they were really poor for only 35 min. Last 10 of first half was fine, and then in second half Gerrard just ruined it.

What does worry me, as I have written before, is that Henderson tends to go hiding when we have trouble, and it's not worthy of a captain. Compare with say Can, who had a bad day but never stopped trying.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #8116 on: March 22, 2015, 06:34:16 pm »
Hardly harassed. We were bullied today. Not good enough

When were we bullied? We were outplayed in the first 30 minutes - comprehensively. Not sure we were bullied - not sure you ever get bullied in the modern game

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #8117 on: March 22, 2015, 06:39:08 pm »
What does worry me, as I have written before, is that Henderson tends to go hiding when we have trouble, and it's not worthy of a captain. Compare with say Can, who had a bad day but never stopped trying.
Against Swansea and Utd first halves due to our shape not being an adequate counter measure to theirs, they always had a free man when in possession. If a manager doesn`t put you in a position to compete tactically you are bound to suffer. And in those cases it doesn`t have much to do with quality or effort. Rodgers needs to learn from the last two games and make sure we have every opposition midfielder accounted for so we wouldn`t be chasing shadows around.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8118 on: March 22, 2015, 06:43:09 pm »
When were we bullied? We were outplayed in the first 30 minutes - comprehensively. Not sure we were bullied - not sure you ever get bullied in the modern game

We were bullied. We didnt press strongly and we were physically weaker. Henderson, Allen got taught a lesson.

Lucas comes straight back in for either of these.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #8119 on: March 22, 2015, 06:45:56 pm »
We've really missed Jordan Ibe. The lad had such a positive impact when he came in from the derby on.

A fully fit Lucas, Ibe at RWB and Sterling in his more natural left side attacking role combining with Coutinho and Sturridge between the lines and we have a much more
attacking suited and balanced dynamic.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.