Author Topic: Garcia - a starter or a sub?  (Read 3852 times)

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
Re: Garcia - a starter or a sub?
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2006, 12:26:53 pm »
The lad has scored against Everton, Arsenal, Juventus and twice in Semi finals against Chelsea. He was our top scorer in the CL run in 2005 and has scored 24 goals in two seasons, none of which from a dead ball. Let's get past the he  'usually misses' the easy chances routine. Stop judging LG on the little flicks that so astray here and there and look at the bigger picture. The amount of abuse he gets is a disgrace.

:wellin

Fantastic player to have in our squad. Chelsea have Robben, Man U have Ronaldo, Arsenal have Van Persie. Sometimes you need unpredictable flair to unlock a defence
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline Ardent

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2006, 12:35:11 pm »
Garcia's ball retention has improved dramatically in the last two seasons. He has become a superb squad player and is defintely a first choice for the team. In a sense the idea that he is rotated out of the game seems a tad inaccurate to me.

When garcia starts it's because Benitez wants to provide that essential link between midfield and the forward line, he is our Aimar, our player in the hole. However, such is his ability, he can be used in a range of roles, from left to forward to right, across the midfield and frontline. Most notably Benitez likes to bring him on to change a game, bring an attacking impetus to the side, or more importantly provide that little spark of genius that allows us to open up the impenetratable defence.

If he is taken off its because Benitez has decided to shut up shop and Garcia's job is done. A fantastic player for us, he is the model professional, all heart and work rate, with a cleverness of touch that is sometimes beautiful to watch. We missed him badly last season when he was injured and it was no coincidence we struggled som badly around X-mas when Garcia was out of the squad.

Personally, I would like to see more of Garcia, but there is stiff competition across the midfield. Benitez definitely has a soft spot for him and will be doing his best to accomodate him and all the midfielders for Liverpool.

Jesus H Christ. That is probably the most slanted view I have ever read on any of our players. Are we talking about the same player here??!!

He's a utility man, he can play in more than one position. No more, no less. That's why Benitez bought him in the first place. He's certainly not the messiah you make him about to be above - even Benitez himself has spoken more than once about Garcia's tendency to be wasteful.

Offline tazman74

• Main Stander
  • We won it six times whisky nose!
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2006, 12:47:38 pm »
How do we solve a problem like Garcia?

Don't think they got your joke buddy...........
My old man said be a Man U fan,
I said 'Fuck off bollocks, you're a c*nt!'

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2006, 02:13:36 pm »

He's a utility man, he can play in more than one position. No more, no less. That's why Benitez bought him in the first place. He's certainly not the messiah you make him about to be above - even Benitez himself has spoken more than once about Garcia's tendency to be wasteful.

Benitez has also questioned Xabi's ability from the dead ball, Sissoko's raw tackling and Crouch's all round game. It is a mark of his style.

Utility players do not score vital goals game ater game. Granted, he is a squad player, but after the defence and SG most players are under Rafa. He has been a *vital* element of Rafa's first two seasons.

At the match, in pubs, angry old purple faced moaning bastards give the player so much stick you'd think he was a total waste of a red shirt whilst clapping like trained seals whenever Warnock throws himself into a challenge that could break his leg (again).
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline Red Ged

• Main Stander
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2006, 12:09:36 am »
Legend for the goals he's scored in such big games. But I dont think he plays too well when he starts games, and gives the ball away quite often. Although I do agree that he would be great coming off the bench.