Author Topic: Rugby League  (Read 47231 times)

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
Re: Rugby League
« Reply #240 on: February 20, 2023, 04:25:57 pm »

v Bradford 'Wide to West' really is the best finish to a game I've ever seen, remember the time is up, the next tackle or ball going dead, it's over and they lose, play off cup tie as well.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/VjhE7DOvD-c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/VjhE7DOvD-c</a>

The mascot, St Bernard, getting swamped by the players, then Sean Long putting the head on and wanting to take the [meaningless] conversion wearing it always cracks me up
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Online Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #241 on: April 5, 2023, 01:48:56 pm »
Well, the football is shit at the moment and there's little left to play for this season followed by 3 months of void but......

The Rugby League is great, both the English and the Australian games

Here's a couple of sites that let you see 4-5 minute highlights without showing the score. It's an excellent way of watching the sport. Oh, and they don't go down like soft bastards when they are touched, a la Harry Kane and most of the Chelsea team.

England

https://www.youtube.com/@Super_League/videos

Australia

https://www.nrl.com/watch/matches/?competition=111&round=5&season=2023&subType=Match+Highlight
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #242 on: April 5, 2023, 03:00:43 pm »
Oh, and don't Saints do good finishes eh

I think the best two finishes in sport have been Saints, that's aside from saturday's close one.

How about these.

Grand final 2020, biggest rivals Wigan, they have a kick to win it with time running out (Finish really starts at c5.00 mins in this)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9jDvQiZh3C8&amp;t=71s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9jDvQiZh3C8&amp;t=71s</a>

Irony is, that try would never have happened had that grand final been at the usual venue Old Trafford, due to the smaller in goal area, & the slope at the edge of the pitch.

Friday 3pm Wigan vs St Helens, live on sky sports

Good thing is, their's no Easter double header this year, were teams play Thursday/Friday then play again Easter Monday, players are normally knackered for Easter Monday matches, after given everything the previous Thursday/Friday.
#Sausages

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: April 28, 2023, 03:55:07 pm »
England v Tonga 3 Match Test Series announced.  8)

England will host Tonga in a maiden three-match Test series between the two countries in October and November.

The series will begin in St Helens on 22 October before moving to Huddersfield and Headingley on consecutive weekends.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: May 14, 2023, 09:16:06 pm »
Heart breaking image from todays Rob Burrow Leeds Marathon

Jurgen YNWA

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: May 14, 2023, 09:27:30 pm »
 :'(

What a pair. The fact that Rugby League barely covered apart from Yorkshire and Lancashire is a fuckin' shame.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #246 on: May 14, 2023, 10:09:10 pm »
My mate ran that today. The race was name after him (Rob Burrow, not my mate), and started and finished at Headingley.

What an absolute bastard of a disease.

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #247 on: May 14, 2023, 10:36:02 pm »
Heart breaking image from todays Rob Burrow Leeds Marathon

I liked Sinfield as a player. My admiration for the man he is knows no bounds. His love for Burrows is beautiful. It’s  both humbling and inspirational.

Online bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #248 on: May 14, 2023, 11:17:12 pm »
Both should be knighted, true inspirations.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Online Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: May 14, 2023, 11:55:48 pm »
I liked Sinfield as a player. My admiration for the man he is knows no bounds. His love for Burrows is beautiful. It’s  both humbling and inspirational.
Both as a photograph and a film, it's one of the most moving images I have seen for a long time, I will never cease in my admiration for Kevin Sinfield
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Bob Harris

• Main Stander
  • "for relaxing times, make it suntory time"
« Reply #250 on: May 15, 2023, 05:38:12 pm »
Wire season ticket holder for about 30 years now, 2 players I would have loved to have seen 2 them play for us. Hated them at times for causing us misery. In my local in warrington we have a rob burrow and his fight to beat mnd section on the wall. Sinfield is beyond human, amazing what he has done is just mind-blowing.
Rugby league cares for our own, no matter what team.

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: May 15, 2023, 06:23:35 pm »
Both as a photograph and a film, it's one of the most moving images I have seen for a long time, I will never cease in my admiration for Kevin Sinfield
I’ll admit to being in tears when I saw the video of Kevin lifting Rob up and carrying him. We should all aspire to be as good a person as Kevin Sinfield is.

Online Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: May 15, 2023, 11:40:56 pm »
I’ll admit to being in tears when I saw the video of Kevin lifting Rob up and carrying him. We should all aspire to be as good a person as Kevin Sinfield is.
Me too, second time round as well when I showed it to someone else
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: May 17, 2023, 03:36:02 pm »
Fiji, Qatar and South Africa now pitching for the 2025 WC, let's see if the RL authorities have more principles than FIFA regarding Qatar.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: May 17, 2023, 04:10:58 pm »
France pulled out siting financial difficulties.  :butt

Online Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: May 17, 2023, 04:42:04 pm »
France pulled out siting financial difficulties.  :butt

To be honest, not sure France has enough national coverage to generate the fans necessary for a WC, whilst UK fans could access it there I'm not sure that would make up the numbers. Where the game is now it may be that NZ/Aus is the only choice (with some other Oceania venues) but SA is interesting.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: May 17, 2023, 04:59:03 pm »
Fiji, Qatar and South Africa now pitching for the 2025 WC, let's see if the RL authorities have more principles than FIFA regarding Qatar.
Fiji or SA...nice little jollies.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: May 17, 2023, 05:12:16 pm »
It's going to Qatar but I wouldn't mind South Africa. They have a great Rugby heritage albeit it being in the shit that is Union.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #258 on: May 31, 2023, 08:39:28 pm »
First State of Origin game was on earlier, from, Adelaide bizarrely (or do they always have one of the games somewhere neutral?).

Won’t spoil the result, highlights are on Sky and other providers too I’m sure. Suitably fiery.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #259 on: May 31, 2023, 08:52:59 pm »
First State of Origin game was on earlier, from, Adelaide bizarrely (or do they always have one of the games somewhere neutral?).

Won’t spoil the result, highlights are on Sky and other providers too I’m sure. Suitably fiery.

State Of Origin is normally Sydney & Brisbane, they altinate yearly who gets to host 2 of the 3 matches.
#Sausages

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #260 on: May 31, 2023, 08:54:48 pm »
State Of Origin is normally Sydney & Brisbane, they altinate yearly who gets to host 2 of the 3 matches.

Makes sense but I seem to recall the odd one being played in Melbourne before. Have never noticed one in Adelaide though.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: May 31, 2023, 08:55:41 pm »
Remember they tried to a War of the Roses matches for a bit?  ;D

Online Rosario

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: May 31, 2023, 08:55:59 pm »

Victoria, SA and WA governments have started bidding to host one game each year because it’s such a big revenue raiser and that’s been going on since about 2006 I believe. Works out nicely as well having one home game each and the third at a neutral venue.

Good game last night just your classic State of Origin with a bit of everything.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 09:07:33 pm by Rosario »

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #263 on: May 31, 2023, 09:01:53 pm »
Makes sense but I seem to recall the odd one being played in Melbourne before. Have never noticed one in Adelaide though.

They had an extra match in Long Beach California one year, but the game did not count toward the series, but the match retained State of Origin status and is included in the records and player appearance calculations.
#Sausages

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #264 on: May 31, 2023, 09:05:01 pm »

They did, but it was met with complete indifference, ended up being scrapped. ;D
#Sausages

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #265 on: May 31, 2023, 09:06:45 pm »

I don’t remember that, when was it? Not a terrible idea though surely! Or was it a poor imitation?

Am I right in thinking it’s based on your first club/where you made your day-boo. So you could be Sydney born and bred but play for Queensland if you relates ted one of their sides first?

And what was with the pronunciation of maroons? Flamin’ Aussies!

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: May 31, 2023, 09:10:33 pm »
They did some in the late 80's and then picked it up again in the early 00's mate.  Last one would've been 2004 I think.

Poor imitation on Origin though.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #267 on: May 31, 2023, 09:12:45 pm »
I don’t remember that, when was it? Not a terrible idea though surely! Or was it a poor imitation?

Am I right in thinking it’s based on your first club/where you made your day-boo. So you could be Sydney born and bred but play for Queensland if you relates ted one of their sides first?

And what was with the pronunciation of maroons? Flamin’ Aussies!

It was a poor imitation, one issue Wigan, Salford, St Helens, Warrington, Widnes, have long since departed from Lancashire, after the county boundary revision of 74.
#Sausages

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: May 31, 2023, 09:13:44 pm »
Bradford and Leeds players hated each other too. Bradford were in their absolute pomp then too.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #269 on: May 31, 2023, 09:14:05 pm »
They did some in the late 80's and then picked it up again in the early 00's mate.  Last one would've been 2004 I think.

Poor imitation on Origin though.

Same for Super League in general compared to the NRL I guess.

And to be fair, there’s far more distractions over here for it to take off in the same way.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #270 on: May 31, 2023, 10:31:42 pm »
Bradford and Leeds players hated each other too. Bradford were in their absolute pomp then too.

Bradford were often beating Leeds in finals & playoff matches back then [how the Bradford have fallen since] matches often fiercely contested no wonder they hated each other,, those matches were often hyped up to fuck too.
#Sausages

Online Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: May 31, 2023, 11:40:05 pm »
Great game today, short highlights here

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/gtOtwNWs7GA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/gtOtwNWs7GA</a>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtOtwNWs7GA
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 11:43:11 pm by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #272 on: June 4, 2023, 04:00:00 pm »
I did not expect Leigh to be dong so well, up to 4th in the table, won 30-4 even after having a player sent off, Wakefield are awful, not a single win yet, & 6 points behind 2nd bottom Castleford.

Wigan got twatted by Catalan yesterday. ;D
#Sausages

Online Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: June 5, 2023, 01:28:15 pm »
Excellent stuff from Leigh, really interesting season given that Hull KR, Leeds, Salford and Leigh are well in the mix and (my team) Saints will be coming from behind with a less experienced coach, Hull also back in the mix as well now and Castleford still a tough team to play.  Catalan look the strongest team now with Tom Johnstone on fire (as is Charnley at Leigh).

All the highlights are here for every game

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDoKbw7Np8oheT6XCtjPf2A

If you were betting you'd say Wigan, Warrington or Catalan but I would not even bet on any game this year (unless it's Wakefield, poor bastards getting thumped every week by everyone)

The NRL games are equally competitive this year as well.

All those games are here (5 minutes, 15 minute or lengthier clips)

https://www.nrl.com/watch/matches/?competition=111&round=14&season=2023&subType=Match+Highlight

Whilst we have no football for 2 months, I am happy I can take my mind off the transfer thread by carrying on what is the best game going (excepting when we are on fire)
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: June 19, 2023, 04:34:12 pm »
Well, with all the shit that is circulating around football at the moment and the lack of any real action (England eh!), I'm glad there's still rugby league going on. For anyone who does not access league through Sky or alternatives there was the chance to watch on the BBC yesterday.

1. Hull V Saints

This is how a referee should be allowed to behave

https://twitter.com/i/status/1670075220474970118

as opposed to this

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4TI0RDLbypE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4TI0RDLbypE</a>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TI0RDLbypE

2. The Wigan v Warrington game was immense, if you have not seen it, I suggest you do, all of it.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 04:50:22 pm by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: June 23, 2023, 01:16:18 am »
And just so you can see what is behind the red card, this weeks hearing transcript
Decision On Charge (Josh Griffin)

Player plea: Guilty
Summary of CM's submissions on the Charge / evidence:

Following a Match Review Panel meeting held on 19th June 2023, you are charged with misconduct for a breach of Law 15.1(f) during the above match.

The Panel reviewed an incident which occurred at 45 52 footage time of the above match. The referees report states the following:

Just before half time, I blew a penalty against Hull FC for a ball steal. Josh Griffin was unhappy with the decision and verbally challenged the call, I told him it was a ball steal and he muttered something as he turned and ran back towards his own team. I was unsure what exactly he had said so decided to leave it alone and not advance the mark. Shortly after this, the half time hooter went and I blew to call time on the first half. Josh Griffin came over and was continuing to argue and gesticulate about the ball steal decision. I told him it was a clear ball steal and after arguing for a short time, he said “f------ b---s---” as he walked away from myself. I raised my yellow card to Josh Griffin, he then said “your [sic] f------ s---”. He began to head towards the tunnel when he then turned back towards myself and said “f------- cheat”. I then upgraded the card from yellow to red.

The Panel believe your actions were unnecessary and are against the true spirit of the game.

In accordance with the RFL’s On Field Sentencing Guidelines, the Panel consider that such offence is a Grade F offence – Questioning the integrity of a Match Official

The normal suspension range for such offence is 6 matches plus.

• The Match Review Panel were concerned at the behaviour of Mr Griffin.

• Mr Griffin was firstly sin binned and then red carded following the incident.
• The referee’s report states the following:

Just before half time, I blew a penalty against Hull FC for a ball steal. Josh Griffin was unhappy with the decision and verbally challenged the call, I told him it was a ball steal and he muttered something as he turned and ran back towards his own team. I was unsure what exactly he had said so decided to leave it alone and not advance the mark. Shortly after this, the half time hooter went, and I blew to call time on the first half. Josh Griffin came over and was continuing to argue and gesticulate about the ball steal decision. I told him it was a clear ball steal and after arguing for a short time, he said “f------ bull---” as he walked away from myself. I raised my yellow card to Josh Griffin, he then said, “your [sic] f------ s---”. He began to head towards the tunnel when he then turned back towards myself and said, “f------ cheat”. I then upgraded the card from yellow to red.

• The Match Review Panel see no reason to disbelieve the referee.

• The footage supports that there is clear interaction between both Mr Kendall and Mr Griffin, and this is initiated by the player.

• Mr Kendall is clear that he says he witnesses Mr Griffin state these words.

• This amounts to abusive behaviour towards the referee and questioning his integrity.

• The Panel believed that Mr Griffin’s actions were unnecessary, against the true spirit of the game and brings the game into disrepute.

• Under 1.2 of the On Field Sentencing Guidelines it states that the disciplinary system must support and protect Match Officials.

• Mr Griffin’s standards have fallen below what is expected of a player and amount to Misconduct.

- Grade F due to:
 ? Questioning the integrity of a referee.
 ? Repeated foul and abusive language towards referee.
 ? Brings sport into disrepute.
 Summary of Player's submissions on the Charge / evidence:
 Player in attendance alongside James Clark (JC, Hull FC CEO). Player pleads guilty to using offensive language towards the Referee, but not questioning his integrity.

Both the Compliance Manager and JC were invited to cross examine Chris Kendall (Referee) who joined the hearing as a witness. Adam Swift and Davy Litten (teammates of JG) were also called to give evidence.

JG did not deny exchanging words with CK, however, he was adamant that the words that he had been charged of using were not correct.

JG explained he approached CK after the half-time hooter had gone to speak to him about a penalty that had just been given for a ball steal, saying “Sir, how can you give that as a ball steal?”

He then admitted to saying “f------ s--- call” and walked away towards the changing rooms. He was then called back by CK and shown a yellow card. Annoyed by the situation he walked away and as doing so said “f--- sake, can’t talk to the arrogant prick.”

CK then called out to him and again and gave him a red card. JG walked off and said “f--- that” as he was frustrated with himself.

JC explained it was the final year of JG’s contract and the consequences of the charge were very high. He believed that there was not enough evidence to prove that CK was called a “cheat.”

JG told the Tribunal he was embarrassed by the charge and it was something he had to live with. It was an intense game and could be the last chance for him to win the Challenge Cup. There was a lot of raw emotion and he also felt he had let his teammates down. He had faced criticism following the incident and was remorseful for how things had turned out. He felt that his emotions had clouded his judgement.
 Decision: Guilty
 Reasons for Decision: This is a very serious incident and they adopt the seriousness of events as put forward by the Compliance Manager. The Referee proved to be a credible witness when questioned and he was sure the words were said by the player. The Tribunal deemed JG not to be credible witness.
 Decision On Sanction (where found to have committed Misconduct) Summary of CM's submissions on the appropriate sanction:
 • Continuous foul abusive behaviour towards a Referee
 • Comments abusive of performance and questions integrity
 • Comments not made in the heat of the moment as the penalty was given before the half-time hooter and the player had time to calm down
 • A breach of the RESPECT Policy
 • Brings the game into disrepute
 • Potential to affect recruitment and retention of Referees in the sport
 Summary of Player's submissions on the appropriate sanction: JC said he respected the Tribunal’s decision. He added that JG was out of contract at the end of the season and with just 12 games remaining a suspension as large as has been suggested by the Compliance Manager would not leave much of the season remaining.

JC felt that a lower suspension would be more appropriate and also asked if the Tribunal would consider going outside the grading in this instance.
 Reasons for Decision: The Tribunal agree with the grading at Grade F and they have taken into account the players previous similar charge earlier this season as well as his denial to the words used.
 Suspension: 7 matches
https://www.rugby-league.com/governance/rules-and-regulations/disciplinary/disciplinary-case?case=17511

aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: July 12, 2023, 02:06:18 pm »
Well, the football is shit at the moment and there's little left to play for this season followed by 3 months of void but......

The Rugby League is great, both the English and the Australian games

Here's a couple of sites that let you see 4-5 minute highlights without showing the score. It's an excellent way of watching the sport. Oh, and they don't go down like soft bastards when they are touched, a la Harry Kane and most of the Chelsea team.

England

https://www.youtube.com/@Super_League/videos

Australia

https://www.nrl.com/watch/matches/?competition=111&round=19&season=2023&subType=Match+Highlight

I will tell you what, anyone wanting something other than tennis whilst football is missing, RL is a real treat this year, both in England but in Australia, I could not tell you who will win anything this year, probably 6-8 teams in the mix for the big one in both league and every game is unpredictable, even Wakefield and Huddersfield have started playing now as well
« Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 02:08:13 pm by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: July 16, 2023, 06:20:19 pm »
A shout out to my team Leigh who won again today, something like 10 wins from last 11. Second in Super League and in the cup semi final next Saturday.
All this after only being promoted last season..beyond all expectations.
I used to follow them home and away in the early 80s until work commitments and a LFC season ticket led me away.
Saw them win the championship in 1982…to see them possibly repeat the feat 42 years later would be incredible.

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #278 on: July 16, 2023, 10:08:03 pm »
A shout out to my team Leigh who won again today, something like 10 wins from last 11. Second in Super League and in the cup semi final next Saturday.
I used to follow them home and away in the early 80s until work commitments and a LFC season ticket led me away.
Saw them win the championship in 1982…to see them possibly repeat the feat 42 years later would be incredible.

They’ve been outstanding this season and must have a good chance of getting to Wembley given Saints inconsistency this season.
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: July 16, 2023, 10:09:39 pm »

My dad is from, and still lives in little old Leigh :) been quite the season.