Author Topic: Liverpool 2 Chelsea 0: Two Weeks And A Stark Contrast  (Read 7606 times)

Offline Mark_P

• Stupid fucking little gosbite
  • Legacy Fan
Liverpool 2 Chelsea 0: Two Weeks And A Stark Contrast
« on: January 22, 2007, 04:40:16 am »
Two weeks may have passed but the events at Anfield on Saturday were pretty much the same as the Arsenal FA Cup Third Round game a fortnight ago.  One side harassed the opposition whilst not in possession and passed the ball round well and never looked in real danger against another side whose passing game was all over the place and whose side looked uninterested.  Thankfully for the Reds the roles were reversed as we beat Jose Morinno’s side for Rafael Benitez’s first win this season over the media-proclaimed “big four”.

Benitez may have had a disjointed (And that’s saying the very least) Chelsea back line to consider whilst selecting his side, but with Ballack, Drogba, Robben, Wright-Phillips (On as an early sub), Lampard et al to contend with, his selection was inspired.  Playing John Arne Riise in front of the excellent Fabio Aurelio (Who both swapped in the second half half) ensured that Riise, whose been poor this season, didn’t have to be positionally flawless, an area he has been found wanting in more than a few times lately playing at left back.  Jermaine Pennant’s selection made sure that the right wing was as equally covered as he was a major factor in the win, both attack wise and defensively.

The player’s came out to a full Anfield to the usual Premiership/Sky bullshit (How shite is that crap at the start?), and even Steve Finnan realising that it’s him we’ve been singing about pre-match for the last three months! 

And what a start it was.  Dirk Kuyt took an excellent touch past the hapless £12.8million bargain (No laughing at the back) Paulo Ferreira and slammed past Petr Cech into the Anfield Road goal.  Whilst it was celebrated wildly round the ground, the feeling was that it was far too early to ensure a win, as a side who cost a quarter of a billion would give us a game of it.  As it turned out, we should have been celebrating a rout in the pubs round Anfield that evening rather than just a convincing win.

Riise’s inability to use his weaker foot (A crime for a professional footballer) saw him tamely shoot straight to Cech when it seemed easier to score.  But with just under twenty minutes gone, Essien’s (£24m) weak header went straight to Pennant, who, despite waiting what seemed an eternity for the ball to fall to his feet, wasn’t closed down and launched the ball over Cech and into the net.  It was good to see Pennant get his first goal, but equally impressive was the way he seemed to stroke the ball in rather than twat it in (That’s the technical term for it anyway).

After that the game ground to a halt as Chelsea tried to get their passing game going, failing miserably.  The feeling downstairs at half time was that we needed another to really relax, but the Chelsea backlash failed to materialise.

Riise's thirty yard yarder that smashed against the Kop woodwork wasn’t converted on the rebound by Peter Crouch, although Ferreira’s challenge gave Rob "What Day Is It" Styles something to think about (Or not).

After that not much of note happened.  Dirk Kuyt could’ve got a goal but his shot never had the power he’d have hoped from a Pennant cross, whilst Ballack and Drogba combined to execute a superbly worked set piece.

While Pepe Reina had little to do shot wise, his positioning, mainly being straight out when the ball went past the back line was better than spot on.  His return after the cup games has shown us just exactly what he brings to the side - more than most others in Europe do for their respective sides  Daniel Agger was composed all game, bringing the ball out whilst in possession rather than hoofing it in true Mikel Essien style.

Jamie Carragher was immense, doing what so many have failed on and marking Drogba out of the game.  Rather than taking two yards off him, which resulted in his spectacular goal earlier on in the season, Carra stuck to the Ivory Coast international like glue all game. ensuring he had no space to turn with the ball in.  Alongside him, Finnan and Aurelio were superb, both my first and second choice as man of the match respectively.

In midfield, Jermaine Pennant enjoyed his best game in a red shirt as he went at Ashley “I’m not gay but my boyfriend is” Cole from the start, also honouring his defensive duties.  Xabi Alonso was everywhere all game; tackling, passing and bringing the ball forward at all time.  Whilst foreign players get stick for not being used to the English game and a lack of fighting spirit, Alonso played as though he’s been born and brought up in Leather’s Lane rather than San Sebastian, and I'm sure his excellent passing game and willingness to keep on going after his injury (His eagerness to get back on the match was particually good to see) would mean he would not look out of place on the Hollies on a Sunday morning.

Riise was excellent going forward, and never left Aurelio wide open behind him, nearly scoring a certain ‘Goal of the Season’ in the process.  Steven Gerrard’s anonymous first half was more than made up for with his second half performance, where he seemed to have the bite and passion of the Gerrard we all know and love.

Peter Crouch was, at times, disappointing, although he could never be accused of not working hard for the side.  His partner, the all action fan favourite “Diggler” Dirk Kuyt was superb, never stopping for breath and seemingly enjoying every minute of it.  We live in an age were footballers are lambasted for their lavish lifestyles and snobbish behaviour, but Kuyt is a player you can see loves the game and our club for what it is rather than his weekly wage.  His name also bounced round the ground for the first time since his move from Feyernoord.

The atmosphere in the ground was also good, with “Rafa’s the Special One” and “Bye, Bye Mourinho” the pick of the day, whilst there was great support for Rafa all the way through.  The Chelsea fans, bar a few renditions of their highly original “Chelsea, Chelsea, Chelsea ..” chant, were, just like their side, largely anonymous. 

And as we filled Sam Dodds, the Sandon and the Oaky post match, the mood compared to just a couple of weeks before couldn’t have been more contrasting.  Whilst back then we were humbled, on Saturday it was our team that gave the expensively constructed Champions a humbling.

Reds: Reina, Finnan, Aurelio, Agger, Carragher; Gerrard, Alonso, Pennant, Riise; Crouch (Bellamy) , Kuyt (Gonzalez)

© Mark_P 2007
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 11:49:14 am by Rushian »
Just GO you Yank twats.

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool 2 Chelsea 0: Two Weeks And A Stark Contrast
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 05:12:33 am »
It's a good win albeit against a Chelsea side which has lost its bite.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves but focus on one game at a time to ensure we get second spot and truly challenge for the title with minor tinkering next season.

After watching the Arsenal-Man U game, it is apparent we are still a bit behind. I reckon we have the potential to win it next season

Offline BPB

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 05:15:33 am »
Great read. Cheers for that. :)

Offline Scarlet`

• Low profile with wide rims
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
    • Laconius Arts and Design
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 05:35:23 am »
Say, is "Rafa's the Special One" and "Bye Bye Mourinho" the "La Donna Mobile" that I heard?
If Ayre got £25m out of them he's willing to fuck all the female members of my family on Sunday's.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 05:54:07 am »

In midfield, Jermaine Pennant enjoyed his best game in a red shirt as he went at Ashley ?I?m not gay but my boyfriend is? Cole from the start, also honouring his defensive duties.  Xabi Alonso was everywhere all game; tackling, passing and bringing the ball forward at all time.  Whilst foreign players get stick for not being used to the English game and a lack of fighting spirit, Alonso played as though he?s been born and brought up in Leather?s Lane rather than San Sebastian, and I'm sure his excellent passing game and willingness to keep on going after his injury (His eagerness to get back on the match was particually good to see) would mean he would not look out of place on the Hollies on a Sunday morning.

Great read thanks for that, I'm feeling homesick now after the Halewood references.  :)

Offline ish

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 06:37:02 am »
twas a good read :)

I like Fabio getting some praise, he's done well for us, I thought he fit in pretty quickly, adapted to the English style of play well. Him at left-back and Riise in midfield has always looked good to me, hope to see more of it.
(translated by phoenix wright)
Journalist: Is it true that your team-mates sing your song in the dressing room?
Fernando: But that's because the song is catchy! (laughs)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 08:31:14 am »
A good read indeed.......loved the veiled sarcasm about that "perfectly executed set-piece" - when I saw the replay of that I laughed so hard the missus nearly called an ambulance........

One question - can anyone recall Chelsea actually getting a half-decent shot on target? I can't quite believe my own memory here but I cannot recall ONE.

In any case, "Bye Bye Maureenioooooooooooo" has been in my head all weekend. Legend.

"Walk on!"
/jim

Offline groundhog

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 08:37:27 am »
Excellent read. Thanks.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 09:37:18 am »
Good stuff.

Though we will be more fluent in matches to come, it is hard to gain any real rhythm against a team that perpetually hoicks the ball forward and fouls as consistently as it tackles. We'll have a fairer idea of where we are when less crude teams like Arsenal and Man U (and Barca) come to Anfield.

Kuyt was excellent in his movement and commitment, but his first touch needs some work. Twice in the second half a poor touch took him wide of the goal when a good one would have had him running free.

The challenge on Crouch was a pen. You can't throw yourself at a player like that. Especially if you turn your back on the ball at the same time.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline steampie

• Kopite
  • Truth yes, now Justice.
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 09:48:10 am »
Great read that, although I believe it was Essien with the foul on Crouch after Riise's rocket that clearly should've ben a pen.

Loved hearing the chants on the telly (yes, they were the ones set to "La Donna Mobile"), especially watching the supporters in all the stands get up and wave whilst singing "Bye bye Mourinho." Class.
I think [naming your daughter] Fuckoffyoubitterblueshitebastards Becker has a nice ring to it.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 10:01:57 am »
.........although I believe it was Essien with the foul on Crouch after Riise's rocket that clearly should've ben a pen.
If not for the push/throwing himself at Crouch, then for what appeared to be the ball rolling down his arm.........in any case, we won. Three points. 28 or 29 league games without conceding (corrections?). 100% unbeaten form at home in the league. Shevchenko still a misfit. Bollocks no good at free-kicks. Terry still absent. Nyer nyer nyer nyer nyerrrr.  :evil

Offline felix.

• easily impressed Baldrick Mark II
  • Legacy Fan
    • last.fm
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 10:08:26 am »
Good read. Cheers.

Why's everyone saying "Riise's 30 yard rocket" or summat? I clearly remember it being from almost the center circle... ???

Edit:

Yeah, here you go watch this. It was at least 40 yards.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zNsC8Lfnc8s
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 10:21:43 am by felix90 »
MOSES SAID COME FORTH
    BUT WE CAME FIRST

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 10:33:03 am »
............if we're posting YouTube links...............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiVdznPuimY

:lmao

Offline ThisIsMickey

• Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 11:07:35 am »
Loved hearing the chants on the telly (yes, they were the ones set to "La Donna Mobile"), especially watching the supporters in all the stands get up and wave whilst singing "Bye bye Mourinho." Class.

yeah, and it's so loud it definitely got the whole place (where i watched the game) singing along

great read btw
"100% of the shots you don't take don't go in"

Offline jfpower

• Legacy Fan
  • Yanks out!
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 11:08:46 am »

Xabi Alonso was everywhere all game; tackling, passing and bringing the ball forward at all time.  Whilst foreign players get stick for not being used to the English game and a lack of fighting spirit, Alonso played as though he’s been born and brought up in Leather’s Lane rather than San Sebastian, and I'm sure his excellent passing game and willingness to keep on going after his injury (His eagerness to get back on the match was particually good to see) would mean he would not look out of place on the Hollies on a Sunday morning.

I thought that Xabi went missing for a bout 10 mins near the end of the first half. Not that Chelsea noticed.

Good read

Offline JCLFC

• Main Stander
  • 5 Times
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 02:01:44 pm »
Some excellent points. Defo agree with Finnan as Man of the Match, a couple of interceptions he made through being able to read the game were top class.
If I was to change anything of the game it would have been to bring Bellamy on earlier for Crouch. Without being over critical to the big fella, he looked a bit out of sorts at times. Plus I cant help but think Bellamy would have caused their back line some problems.
I believe Mourinho said that their defence would have coped with Bellamy and he knew what our forward line would be 2 weeks ago. Strange that as Bellamy knocked a couple past them last season for Blackburn.
Oh well as sang at the ground Saturday  :wave Bye Bye Mourinho :wave

Offline edeyj

• Legacy Fan
  • 1-2,1-2-3,1-2-3-4...5-0
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2007, 04:00:47 pm »
Enjoyed the article but I think the criticism of Riise for missing his first half chance is a bit harsh. Looked more like a very good save from Cech rather than a weak effort on his "wrong" foot from Riise.

Offline Xabifan

• Kopite
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007, 04:29:20 pm »
think crouch is getting a bit of stick. he won every kick out in the first half (well done pepe for his fantastic kicking also).

our game plan was spot on

there is no denying the difference the early goal makes though.

we were the better side for the game at the bridge too its just that we got the first goal here

good article by the way thanks

P.S think it was essien not ferraira after thr riise shot?

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2007, 10:16:45 pm »
Spot on, certainly talk of a failing squad (and therefore manager) was premature to say the least. They are not saying too much now are they?

Lets keep this up and really ram it down their throats
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Mark_P

• Stupid fucking little gosbite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2007, 11:15:41 pm »
P.S think it was essien not ferraira after thr riise shot?
More than likely mate - it's like red and blue dots are playing when I haven't got my glasses on at the match
Just GO you Yank twats.

Offline charlie farley

• UGGly Feet
  • Kopite
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2007, 09:01:18 pm »
Superb! Well done. NOW BRING ON THAT OTHER BLUE BUNCH OF MISFITS :lickin!!!
Suarez is going to nutmeg the fuck out of ya!!!!

Offline RastaRed

• Kemlynite
  • In my Mersey Paradise
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2007, 01:29:27 pm »
Excellent article, bring on the blue shite next.
After the arsenal games thought our season was gonna be a disaster but have gained some hope back after saturday.  To stand any chance of the title, we have to beat the manc scum and arsenal at Anfield, we can do Barca also, seen them good few times now and they can be ordinary, if we can keep it tight in the nou camp and produce another classic european night at anfield, we'll do it

YNWA
LFC=Life 5 Times YNWA *****

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2007, 02:02:29 pm »
............if we're posting YouTube links...............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiVdznPuimY

:lmao
;D School boy stuff..

Offline craigmc87

• Boys Pen
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2007, 02:41:33 am »
a fair sided view of the game but i know you wouldn'y argue if i said it could have been 6-4 for us. the cjances made the game and liverpool have recently become synonymous with missing chances.
mark there are two great writers in liverpool you and you drunk

Offline davebils

• Anny Roader
  • Live and Breathe L.F.C
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2007, 08:49:02 am »
is missed chances the story of our season so far
we have to start killing teams of instead of the 80 minute panic mode
YNWA