Poll

How do you think Suarez will do at Barcelona?

Better than Messi
Messi level
Sub Messi, better than Eto'o, Ibrahimovic etc. Ronaldinho maybe.
Pedro level
Flop

Author Topic: Luis Suarez  (Read 544496 times)

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
Re: Luis Suarez
« Reply #4280 on: July 31, 2020, 05:38:40 am »
Dunno. He’s one of the most naturally gifted players I’ve ever seen and he was ours. Should he want to come back, I’d definitely insider him. But he didn’t get the club, the city and the ethos, and I’m. Of the wool to speak. But we do t have much of his creativity. Only Firmware has the ginga, and Keita a bit.

I’ll get on with my time machine home project and see if I. An turn him 10 years younger. And my wife a 20...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #4281 on: July 31, 2020, 06:00:01 am »
Wouldn't be cheap and wouldn't want to play second fiddle even at this age. That's a hard no from me

Yeah, I'm not saying it's even remotely likely.

But if he were available on the cheap it wouldn't be the worst option.

I think he's probably more likely going to want either go to some other smaller club in Spain to minimise disruption to his family, or maybe play a couple more seasons back in Uruguay. I'd be surprised if he was still at Barca 12 months from now though.

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #4282 on: July 31, 2020, 12:09:47 pm »
Only Firmware has the ginga, and Keita a bit.

Sabu?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4283 on: July 31, 2020, 12:43:24 pm »
Nah, he can come as a fan though, and enjoy watching our success.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4284 on: July 31, 2020, 01:28:19 pm »
Don't want him anywhere near the club.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #4285 on: August 1, 2020, 01:17:30 am »
Sabu?
Typed with my iThumbs

Meant Firmino, not what autocorrect thinks...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4286 on: August 1, 2020, 01:50:26 am »
Nah, not even close.

True, Suarez had a much more successful club career.

In terms of winning top quality European leagues (and domestic cups there). Also one CL vs one UEFA cup (Inter). Three top scoring seasons for Suarez to Ronaldo's two. Not massively different in Holland, both won one cup but Suarez got a league (he also stayed longer)
« Last Edit: August 1, 2020, 01:52:21 am by Classycara »

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4287 on: August 1, 2020, 02:41:59 am »
An unbelievably great player - he may arguably be the greatest technical player we’ve ever had. The goals he scored were just jaw dropping. He would add a rush of adrenaline into the crowd when he got on the ball, such was the excitement of his playing. I’ll always have great memories of that 13/14 season. But he’s no where near a legend of the club. He forgot that he represented the club with his antics and reactions afterwards, and in reality, he was downright petty and pathetic at times.

His celebration at the Nou Camp didn’t bother me, damn right he should be celebrating for his club in a big semi final, that’s what his job is so why complain? It was other antics that were going on outside of that. The aggro and play acting against a certain number of our players showed he wasn’t caring about respect.

Make no mistake, the way he was acting was building up to a goal at Anfield and I wouldn’t have been surprised if he gave it all the aggro to the crowd if he had done so.

But alas, he didn’t. The full Anfield effect and the miracle of that night was also compounded by a sense of schadenfreude towards him and Coutinho. You lost what you could have had.

All the adulation, the songs and the spirit and the silverware. In the words of the late Jim Bowen ‘let’s take a look at what you could have won’.

It was a match that separated ‘potential legends’ with ‘true legends’ in as stark a fashion as you could possibly imagine. The massive chasm between those two and the team in red was so big that they are now nothing more than a tiny speck far in the distance. Completely irrelevant.
« Last Edit: August 1, 2020, 02:52:33 am by mattD »

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4288 on: August 1, 2020, 05:48:30 am »
True, Suarez had a much more successful club career.

In terms of winning top quality European leagues (and domestic cups there). Also one CL vs one UEFA cup (Inter). Three top scoring seasons for Suarez to Ronaldo's two. Not massively different in Holland, both won one cup but Suarez got a league (he also stayed longer)

and yet Ronaldo is still the better footballer than Suarez. Ronaldo at his peak, prior to his knee injuries, was unstoppable in comparison. Scored 47 goals in 49 games in his first season leaving Holland playing for Barca, whilst Suarez couldn't hit the barn door consistently when he arrived for us.

Ronaldo, the 3 time world player of the year.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4289 on: August 1, 2020, 08:31:40 am »
and yet Ronaldo is still the better footballer than Suarez. Ronaldo at his peak, prior to his knee injuries, was unstoppable in comparison. Scored 47 goals in 49 games in his first season leaving Holland playing for Barca, whilst Suarez couldn't hit the barn door consistently when he arrived for us.

Ronaldo, the 3 time world player of the year.

Suarez scored 91 goals in 139 league games, including 37 games for a shite Groningen side. I don't think he couldn't hit the barn door is fair! ;)

When you compare their records in good leagues, there really isn't much to suggest Suarez can't be talked about alongside Ronaldo.

Suarez
69 goals in 110 games in the PL
147 goals in 191 games in La Liga

Ronaldo
18 goals in 31 games in Serie A
117 goals in 164 games in La Liga

ps Suarez didn't even need his knees, as shown when he knocked England out of the world cup ;D

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4290 on: August 1, 2020, 02:27:15 pm »
Suarez scored 91 goals in 139 league games, including 37 games for a shite Groningen side. I don't think he couldn't hit the barn door is fair

I think you misread what I wrote [or I wasn't clear enough to be fair]. What I was trying to say is that once he left Holland, he had problems being prolific as he was in Holland [ I was referring to how he played when we signed him in January onwards till the end of the 11/12 season].

Ronaldo's first season outside of Holland was sensational, it Suarez some time to get on the level that he was in Holland.

Your stats on Ronaldo's time in Italy is wrong btw. 58 league goals in 88 matches in Serie A.

Oh they can definetly compare in terms of numbers, however Ronaldo doing what he did in Italy at that time is far harder than what numbers could actually show. Aside from that, I am also talking about pure ability on the pitch. As great as Suarez at his peak was, there is a reason Ronaldo was called the Phenom. His speed on the ball and without it was frightening, his agility, his movement, his dribbling is not something that imo Suarez can compare as he good as he is/was technically. The one area that Suarez is better in is creativity in terms of setting up opportunities for team-mates. Everything else, imo, Ronaldo is a superior player. That's not to slight Suarez, but imo Ronaldo is top 3/4 players of all time.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4291 on: August 2, 2020, 02:56:38 pm »
^

Suarez has said himself that in that season he was trying too hard to put the ball where the keeper couldn't get to it, which led to a lot of efforts hitting the bar and the post. He had a chat with his wife and she told him to just relax and play his natural game and it all clicked again.

One big disgrace for me was in 13/14 he should have won the Balon D'Or, he was the best player in the world at the time. If we'd had had none of his antics on field, he probably would have won it too.
Jurgen YNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4292 on: August 2, 2020, 03:22:24 pm »
^

Suarez has said himself that in that season he was trying too hard to put the ball where the keeper couldn't get to it, which led to a lot of efforts hitting the bar and the post. He had a chat with his wife and she told him to just relax and play his natural game and it all clicked again.

One big disgrace for me was in 13/14 he should have won the Balon D'Or, he was the best player in the world at the time. If we'd had had none of his antics on field, he probably would have won it too.

i disagree. Ronaldo was sensational, he had 17 goals in the CL that year alone which is absurd, and 51 overall, whilst winning the EC

Offline _00_deathscar

• Has a quite operational deflecsor shield.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • The Suite Life by Chinmoy Lad
« Reply #4293 on: August 13, 2020, 01:05:51 pm »
On Suarez, best player I've seen for Liverpool. You can be the best without being a legend.

There was a stat going around about top 10 goal scorers in the 2010s. Your usual suspects, Messi and Cristiano, and then a mix of Lewandowski, Ibrahimovic (I think), Suarez, Aguero (maybe?) and a few more - in no particular order after Messi and Cristiano, but Suarez was in the top 5 as I recall.

Then there was another one with assists. Messi is there, as are Ozil, Di Maria and co. There is only one name besides Messi who shares both lists, and that is Suarez (and he was actually in the top 5 I think in assists too!)

Suarez is the best forward since THE Ronaldo, IMO. But he's not close to touching the prime Ronaldo who was on completely another level.

He's definitely a better forward than the Ronaldo that came back from 2 injuries though which says two things:
- Luis Suarez is amazing, because even that version of Ronaldo was pretty damn good (up there with Henry, Shevchenko and a few others)
- How fucking good was Ronaldo that even after two career threatening injuries, he came back and was 'only' one of the top 5 world's best strikers...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 01:08:35 pm by _00_deathscar »
All things luxury travel. Be inspired for your next trip: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4294 on: August 13, 2020, 01:14:27 pm »
Wouldn't have him anywhere near the club to be honest and it's nothin to do with his antics last season it's just these returns never work out. I could see him going to an Arsenal or Spurs or some other non top tier side like that. He'll end up at Juventus though or possibly PSG with Neymar going the other way.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #4295 on: August 13, 2020, 03:36:29 pm »
Ronaldo scored 8 goals in 7 appearances in the 2002 World Cup alone whilst leading Brazil to victory. Not to mention everything else he's done. Years from now, they won't even be mentioned in the same breath. Suarez was and is still brilliant, that I can't deny. His statistics show it as do his club achievements. And yet I still don't that think that in the future he's going to be mentioned alongside legendary strikers such as R. Baggio, Batistuta, Ronaldo, G. Muller, Romario, C. Ronaldo, Messi, etc.

Offline _00_deathscar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4296 on: August 13, 2020, 03:46:37 pm »
Ronaldo scored 8 goals in 7 appearances in the 2002 World Cup alone whilst leading Brazil to victory. Not to mention everything else he's done. Years from now, they won't even be mentioned in the same breath. Suarez was and is still brilliant, that I can't deny. His statistics show it as do his club achievements. And yet I still don't that think that in the future he's going to be mentioned alongside legendary strikers such as R. Baggio, Batistuta, Ronaldo, G. Muller, Romario, C. Ronaldo, Messi, etc.

Can't say about Muller. Cristiano and Messi are different beasts.
I reckon he'll be seen favourably with someone like Baggio and Batistuta. He's that good.
All things luxury travel. Be inspired for your next trip: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #4297 on: August 13, 2020, 05:07:30 pm »
Can't say about Muller. Cristiano and Messi are different beasts.
I reckon he'll be seen favourably with someone like Baggio and Batistuta. He's that good.

Gerd Muller. 398 goals in 453 appearances for Bayern Munich. 68 goals in 62 appearances for West Germany. 4 time Bundesliga Champion, 3 time European Cup champion, World Cup winner, European Championship winner, and loads of other club, national and personal accolades. One of the all time greatest strikers in football history.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4298 on: August 13, 2020, 05:09:02 pm »
Baggio and Batistuta were great players but neither could do the kinds of things Suarez was at his peak. He's also won more than both and scored more international goals.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4299 on: August 13, 2020, 09:00:48 pm »
Baggio and Batistuta were great players but neither could do the kinds of things Suarez was at his peak. He's also won more than both and scored more international goals.

I agree. I think he's better than both of them.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4300 on: August 14, 2020, 06:58:01 am »
I agree. I think he's better than both of them.

Put together !

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4301 on: August 14, 2020, 08:32:01 am »
Ronaldo scored 8 goals in 7 appearances in the 2002 World Cup alone whilst leading Brazil to victory.

Jon Dahl Tommason scored 4 in 4 appearances. Obviously different class of player, but still

Offline _00_deathscar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4302 on: August 14, 2020, 08:45:32 am »
Gerd Muller. 398 goals in 453 appearances for Bayern Munich. 68 goals in 62 appearances for West Germany. 4 time Bundesliga Champion, 3 time European Cup champion, World Cup winner, European Championship winner, and loads of other club, national and personal accolades. One of the all time greatest strikers in football history.

Yes, I know about his stats. But he's never been seen as one of the all time greats (not even at the level of Zidane and co IMO - maybe a level below that?), though obviously he's one of the best goalscorers of all time.

Suarez is firmly in the Zidane tier.

Offline _00_deathscar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4303 on: August 14, 2020, 08:56:31 am »
On Suarez, best player I've seen for Liverpool. You can be the best without being a legend.

There was a stat going around about top 10 goal scorers in the 2010s. Your usual suspects, Messi and Cristiano, and then a mix of Lewandowski, Ibrahimovic (I think), Suarez, Aguero (maybe?) and a few more - in no particular order after Messi and Cristiano, but Suarez was in the top 5 as I recall.

Then there was another one with assists. Messi is there, as are Ozil, Di Maria and co. There is only one name besides Messi who shares both lists, and that is Suarez (and he was actually in the top 5 I think in assists too!)

Using TransferMarkt, just some stats for key players (these are overall stats including pre-2010):

Goalscorers and the two freaks
Messi - 730 games, 634 goals, 285 assists
Cristiano - 850 games, 638 goals, 223 assists (but many of these were pre-2010 which is why he wasn't in that above 2010s assist list - probably just short of it)
Suarez - 611 games, 405 goals, 231 assists (!)
Lewandowski - 587 games, 409 goals, 118 assists
Aguero - 636 games, 372 goals, 119 assists
Ibra - 761 games, 467 goals, 185 assists

Playmakers
Ozil - 600 games, 105 goals, 216 assists
Di Maria - 593 games, 141 goals, 214 assists
De Bruyne - 450 games, 103 goals, 173 assists

Basically, Suarez is assisting as much as, or more than, the renowned playmakers are (De Bruyne probably on another level there) and scoring favourably as compared with the top goalscorers not named Messi or Cristiano.

And that doesn't even include Suarez's "dummy" assists - I reckon he's probably racked up 10+ of those for Barca alone, or any penalties he's won that Messi  or other Barca penalty taker (why are they all awful?) has invariably failed to convert.

For me, he's head and shoulders the best striker since Il Fenomeno pre-injury, with Lewandowski, Shevchenko, Eto'o, Henry, Aguero and a few others below him.

Here is a separate list with different numbers, but it all points to the same thing - that Messi, Cristiano and Suarez are the only three players since 2001 to appear in probably a top 20 scoring AND assists chart (you'd likely have to get to Ibrahimovic to find another player who would also be in the scoring chart, and he's #14 on the assists list here)
https://ronaldo.com/football-news/top-25-players-with-the-most-assists-in-the-21st-century/

Essentially, he's the only player not named Messi or Cristiano where he has (currently at least) more goal contributions than games played.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 09:04:09 am by _00_deathscar »

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4304 on: August 21, 2020, 01:23:46 pm »
From the Eto'o interview on French TV...

Xavi says to Eto'o: "Negro, like we always said before and showed, we want you to stay".

The Spanish speaking world seem to have a whole different approach in this regard eh?
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4305 on: August 21, 2020, 01:39:12 pm »
From the Eto'o interview on French TV...

Xavi says to Eto'o: "Negro, like we always said before and showed, we want you to stay".

The Spanish speaking world seem to have a whole different approach in this regard eh?

That's Spain as whole. Never have my friends experienced more racism than in Spain.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 01:40:43 pm by a treeless whopper »

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4306 on: August 21, 2020, 03:17:38 pm »

Essentially, he's the only player not named Messi or Cristiano where he has (currently at least) more goal contributions than games played.

Very few penalties in comparison to those 2 as well. He has 29 penalty goals, Messi 94 and Ronaldo 133

Offline PatriotScouser

• Legacy Fan
  • I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
« Reply #4307 on: August 24, 2020, 02:00:28 pm »
Barca teminating his contract after he refused to leave of his own volition. Shame.  :lmao

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4308 on: August 24, 2020, 02:04:23 pm »
Barca teminating his contract after he refused to leave of his own volition. Shame.  :lmao

Why don't they just accept offers for him and persuade him that way? Terminating his contract, at a cost to them just seems a stupid way to do things.

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4309 on: August 24, 2020, 02:29:19 pm »
Why don't they just accept offers for him and persuade him that way? Terminating his contract, at a cost to them just seems a stupid way to do things.
there's a lot of posturing going on right now at Barca. Suarez, Busquets, Umtiti, they feel the need for blood, in order to clean their image and make their fans feel they're "doing something" to fix whatever supposedly made them be humiliated (Bayern being the climax of what had already happened against Roma and us).

First time in Suarez's life where it's his club that want to move him on, instead of him pushing for a move ...

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4310 on: August 24, 2020, 02:29:22 pm »
Wonder where he will end up, seems like a PSG/Juventus-esque signing.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 02:31:34 pm by Simplexity »

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #4311 on: August 24, 2020, 02:35:28 pm »
there's a lot of posturing going on right now at Barca. Suarez, Busquets, Umtiti, they feel the need for blood, in order to clean their image and make their fans feel they're "doing something" to fix whatever supposedly made them be humiliated (Bayern being the climax of what had already happened against Roma and us).

First time in Suarez's life where it's his club that want to move him on, instead of him pushing for a move ...

One of the candidates for Barcelona President has "spoken" to Klopp.

Fat chance.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #4312 on: August 24, 2020, 02:40:16 pm »
China, Turkey, Inter Milan?

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4313 on: August 24, 2020, 02:40:23 pm »

Has Suarez been cannibalising lately?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4314 on: August 24, 2020, 02:40:48 pm »
China, Turkey, Inter Milan?

Does human flesh taste like Turkey?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4315 on: August 24, 2020, 02:45:54 pm »

Must feel weird not to be able to solve your problems by biting someone...

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #4316 on: August 24, 2020, 02:49:00 pm »
I am pretty sure I read somewhere that he has an anti-biting clause in his contract with Barca.

EDIT: https://www.barcablaugranes.com/2014/7/13/5894149/luis-suarez-barcelona-contract
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 02:50:39 pm by ChaChaMooMoo »

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #4317 on: August 24, 2020, 03:04:53 pm »
I'm gonna throw out the obligatory 'Sign him' comment.

Sign him.
:D

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #4318 on: August 24, 2020, 03:09:40 pm »
Glasgow Rangers.....
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4319 on: August 24, 2020, 03:15:06 pm »

Knee jerk and costly.  What makes it easier to just pay up his contract rather than try to sell him?

Fuck it, I'd take him back just to piss Barca off. And I'm not exactly enamored with him.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art