Poll

From 12th to bottom getting very tight down there. Who's your 3 to get flushed?

Crystal Palace
14 (2%)
Wolves
4 (0.6%)
Leeds
96 (13.7%)
Everton
139 (19.9%)
Notts Forest
102 (14.6%)
Leicester
56 (8%)
West Ham
9 (1.3%)
Bournemouth
75 (10.7%)
Southampton
205 (29.3%)

Total Members Voted: 238

Author Topic: Predictions for bottom 3/relegation  (Read 17991 times)

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Predictions for bottom 3/relegation
« Reply #200 on: May 2, 2023, 12:16:59 am »
Fat Sam could help them with their biggest problem at the moment, and that is their leaky defence. They have enough talent upfront, if they could somehow concede less ...

It could be hard for those players to get behind the idea of him fixing the leaky defence if/when they get spanked in their first game away at City.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: May 2, 2023, 12:31:11 am »
It could be hard for those players to get behind the idea of him fixing the leaky defence if/when they get spanked in their first game away at City.

The problem with Leeds' defending is that they are doing the basics wrong. And Man City won't be pushing too hard, playing West Ham 3 days earlier and Real Madrid 3 days later. Leeds could get away with a reasonable defeat, if Fat Sam parks the bus and plays on the counter-attack. Man City wouldn't want to take too many risks ahead of their game of the season ...

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #202 on: May 2, 2023, 03:56:06 am »
Leeds should have stuck with Jesse Marsch. They were a bit up and down, but they were playing for him and he was getting to grips with it. Since sacking him they’ve been no better, and have possibly been worse.

Better to back your man to take you on.

Right now they are in a panic, and if Fat Sam is the answer, the question must be, “Who ordered the pint of wine?” 

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #203 on: May 2, 2023, 06:29:42 am »
I can predict with near certainty that three teams will be relegated. Odds are that Saints will be one of them. That's how much my crystal ball will collaborate...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #204 on: May 2, 2023, 08:06:32 am »
They are all so shite and don’t look like they have wins in them. That was Leicester’s easiest game left. Not sure Leeds pick up another point. Forest have Southampton at home next - that’s now a great chance for them to get out of it. I think a win for Forest would save them, as Leeds and Leicester don’t look like they have it in them.
« Last Edit: May 2, 2023, 08:09:44 am by Ciara (with a capital "C") »

Online deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: May 2, 2023, 08:08:48 am »
Southampton, Leeds and Leicester to go down. I fancy Forest to beat Southamton, Leeds will lose all their games and I can see Everton getting 4 from their final two games.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: May 2, 2023, 08:21:15 am »
Southampton, Leeds and Leicester to go down. I fancy Forest to beat Southamton, Leeds will lose all their games and I can see Everton getting 4 from their final two games.
I think that's about right but can't decide between Leicester or Everton.

Southampton look to have a bit of fight but the leads they've not converted into wins in the last few games means they've left themselves too much to do.  Leeds have not picked up enough points in winnable games and have a really tough looking run-in even if they do improve.

The only question for me is who goes down with those two.  Forest have the best run-in and Everton will likely benefit from Bournemouth having nothing to play for on the final day.  Leicester looked really poor last night.

The wild card team that will likely decide if Everton survive or not are Moysie's West Ham.  With their European matches they're going to be stretched a bit thin and still have to play both Leeds and Leicester. 

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #207 on: May 2, 2023, 09:11:46 am »

The wild card team that will likely decide if Everton survive or not are Moysie's West Ham.  With their European matches they're going to be stretched a bit thin and still have to play both Leeds and Leicester. 

In the 38 game PL era, very few teams have ever been relegated with 35 points. People talk about the magical 40 point mark but I would say it's more like 35-36 points.

This season there are 5 teams who are currently trending towards less than 35 points gained over 38 games (based on average ppg).

I think it'd need a significant upturn in fortunes for a number of the teams in bottom 5 for West Ham to get relegated. I think they are probably fine with 34 points given their goal difference.

I think a team will stay up with 33 points this season.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: May 2, 2023, 09:41:56 am »
In the 38 game PL era, very few teams have ever been relegated with 35 points. People talk about the magical 40 point mark but I would say it's more like 35-36 points.

This season there are 5 teams who are currently trending towards less than 35 points gained over 38 games (based on average ppg).

I think it'd need a significant upturn in fortunes for a number of the teams in bottom 5 for West Ham to get relegated. I think they are probably fine with 34 points given their goal difference.

The average points for the 18th placed team is just over 35 points. But normally the 17th place team is a few points above that.

Last season, Burnley went down with 35. Leeds stayed up with 38 so even 37 would've sent Burnley down.
20/21 - Fulham got 28 points, but would've went down with 38.
19/20 - Bournemouth 34 points
18/19 - Cardiff went down on 34, but would've went down with 35
17/18 - Swansea went down with 33, but would've went down with 35
16/17 - Hull went down with 34, but would've went down with 39
15/16 - The old Newcastle 37, would've went down with 38
14/15 - Hull down with 35, would've went down with 37
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #209 on: May 2, 2023, 10:14:02 am »
I'd say Everton need to be 3pts adrift come the bournemouth home game at the last game.

Bournemouth will be on the beach and the place will be turned into the 9th gate of hell on top of that.

2 of Forest Leeds and Leicester have to find 2pts from somewhere
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: May 2, 2023, 10:50:39 am »
I find it very amusing that people are expecting Everton to win their last two games.

Their last win was on March 11th ;D

Offline KennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: May 2, 2023, 10:55:16 am »
I Just can't see past Leeds and Forest. I think both Everton and Leicester will find a way out of it as they won't need much although I was suprised at just how poor Leicester where last night. I still think Leicester and Everton could get points in virtually all their games, they have results in them and the players who've came back for Everton recently, Calvert Lewin in particular, do make a big difference whilst Leicester have a few quality player who could drag them through.

Forest must beat Southampton to have any chance and I don't think they will. If they don't, they're finished.

Leeds have absolutely nothing and for me have been the worst team in the league for a few weeks. I had them down for no more than 1 point at the most from the last 4 games before Sam came in. He may give them a chance but i don't see it myself, I think they're done.

Online rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: May 2, 2023, 10:58:23 am »
I find it very amusing that people are expecting Everton to win their last two games.

Bournemouth at home is a win imo

The others are a point max

So 33 pts max

Jurgen Klopp

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: May 2, 2023, 11:03:18 am »

No one is expecting them to win their last 2 games.

Saying they could is not the same as saying they will. They'll be playing 2 teams that have nothing to play for so it's not unreasonable that they could win them both.

I think they will beat Bournemouth, not sure about Wolves though.
« Last Edit: May 2, 2023, 11:04:54 am by Barneylfc∗ »

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: May 2, 2023, 11:11:00 am »

100%. I think 34 is the mark to be '100% safe' at the moment. Any win for leicester, everton, forest and leeds almost pulls them entirely out of it.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #215 on: May 2, 2023, 11:14:38 am »
Bournemouth at home is a win imo

The others are a point max

So 33 pts max

I still think they stay up with 32
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Online rushyman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: May 2, 2023, 11:29:52 am »
I still think they stay up with 32

My opinion is If West Ham get through to the Europa Conference final Everton are relegated

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: May 2, 2023, 11:34:55 am »
Games should be played the same time at this stage of the season

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: May 2, 2023, 11:37:21 am »

Sorry, my message was vague.  I didn't mean that West Ham would take up one of the relegation spots, more that they may give points to potentially two of the sides that are in danger of relegation (Leeds and Leicester).

I think West Ham are already safe but a win for them against Man U would be ideal as it would pretty much guarantee it and take some points off one of our rivals.  They would then go into the final few games with Conference League as their priority.

Last season Everton were saved by Palace having nothing to play for and it would be annoying if Bournemouth bailed them out this season.  If Leeds and Leicester similarly benefit then at least it levels the playing field.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #219 on: May 2, 2023, 11:44:15 am »
Leeds should have rolled the dice sooner. Gracia was a shit appointment to begin with but their performances were hopeless. They'd have been better off keeping Lasso.

Allardyce is pure desperation at this point. But if they can pinch a win somewhere it might be enough.
« Last Edit: May 2, 2023, 11:46:00 am by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: May 2, 2023, 11:47:00 am »
Games should be played the same time at this stage of the season

I kind of agree you know. Think this about the title race as well, in 2019 and 2022 we seemed to play before city every time. On the one hand it 'kept the pressure on' but I always felt like it meant city 'knew what they had to do'. I don't think City would have drawn with West Ham, for example, if we hadn't drawn with spurs the night before. But there we are.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #221 on: May 2, 2023, 11:55:15 am »
I went through a game predictor and came out with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton going down. Everton stayed up with 33 points.

https://thefishy.co.uk/calculator0.php?competition=1
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #222 on: May 2, 2023, 11:58:49 am »
If

• Nottingham Forest beat Southampton on Monday

and

• Everton handsomely lose their next two games against Brighton away and Man City at home

and

• Either Leicester or Leeds get at least 3 points from their remaining games

then, Everton will need to win their last 2 games of the season against Wolves away and Bournemouth at home. They’ve only won back to back games once this year, back in September/October.

To me, the first two of those seem quite likely, and the best chance of the last one happening is probably Leicester beating Fulham on Monday. So this time next week, we may be a City battering of Everton away from them needing 6 from 6.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Online rushyman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: May 2, 2023, 12:27:04 pm »
I went through a game predictor and came out with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton going down. Everton stayed up with 33 points.

https://thefishy.co.uk/calculator0.php?competition=1

Pretty much how I have it also

But it doesn't take into account West Ham's europa conference games affecting their line ups and performances v Leicester and leeds. Hinges on that

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Fortneef

• Palace Fan. Punka wallah?
  • Kopite
« Reply #224 on: May 2, 2023, 01:32:28 pm »
Dream bigger dreams...

Chelsea are not mathematically safe

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #225 on: May 2, 2023, 01:51:46 pm »
The average points for the 18th placed team is just over 35 points. But normally the 17th place team is a few points above that.

Last season, Burnley went down with 35. Leeds stayed up with 38 so even 37 would've sent Burnley down.
20/21 - Fulham got 28 points, but would've went down with 38.
19/20 - Bournemouth 34 points
18/19 - Cardiff went down on 34, but would've went down with 35
17/18 - Swansea went down with 33, but would've went down with 35
16/17 - Hull went down with 34, but would've went down with 39

15/16 - The old Newcastle 37, would've went down with 38
14/15 - Hull down with 35, would've went down with 37

I looked at the ones in bold in a different way.

The 17th placed team would have stayed up with 35 points.

When I was saying 35 points would normally keep you up I'm looking at whether the team in 18th got 35 points or less. The vast majority of the time that is the case.

I didn't think of looking at it the way you did which would use 17th as the fixed points position (rather than 18th) to what you need to achieve.

I think it's 2 ways to look at the same thing.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #226 on: May 2, 2023, 02:00:49 pm »
Dream bigger dreams...

Chelsea are not mathematically safe

And Super Frankie does no maths.
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #227 on: May 2, 2023, 02:01:59 pm »
Pretty much how I have it also

But it doesn't take into account West Ham's europa conference games affecting their line ups and performances v Leicester and leeds. Hinges on that

David Moyes fielding the U18s against Leicester and Leeds, to get Everton relegated.
Oh my.
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: May 2, 2023, 02:11:19 pm »
I looked at the ones in bold in a different way.

The 17th placed team would have stayed up with 35 points.

When I was saying 35 points would normally keep you up I'm looking at whether the team in 18th got 35 points or less. The vast majority of the time that is the case.

I didn't think of looking at it the way you did which would use 17th as the fixed points position (rather than 18th) to what you need to achieve.

I think it's 2 ways to look at the same thing.

That's a fair point. I didn't see it your way either  :D

Online UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: May 2, 2023, 02:35:42 pm »
I feel certain that Everton lose to city and beat Bournemouth.

They'll probably need another 3 points but I could see them winning at Wolves, a team that won't want it as much as got decimated by Brighton.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: May 2, 2023, 04:50:55 pm »
Does anyone know what is the lowest point tally that a club escaped relegation with in a 38-game season?

I feel we might be in for a new low record.

Online rushyman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: May 2, 2023, 04:57:35 pm »
David Moyes fielding the U18s against Leicester and Leeds, to get Everton relegated.
Oh my.

Please god happen

Everton's game v city is at home in between Madrid ties

I'm not so sure about that result now either

Jurgen Klopp

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #232 on: May 2, 2023, 04:59:42 pm »
Please god happen

Everton's game v city is at home in between Madrid ties

I'm not so sure about that result now either

City's C team is stronger than Everton's A team.
Maybe even worse for Everton to be up against hyper motivated fringe players desperate to grab their chance and prove a point to baldy and get considered for the finals etc.

Moyes on the other hand....has a chance to play a real blinder.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: May 2, 2023, 05:01:06 pm »
Does anyone know what is the lowest point tally that a club escaped relegation with in a 38-game season?

I feel we might be in for a new low record.

West Brom 04/05 stayed up with 34pts.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: May 2, 2023, 05:04:11 pm »
Don't do it to yourself. Everton are not getting relegated. They are getting 5-7 pts from Brighton, Wolves and Bournemouth.
Wolves and Bournemouth will both be on holidays in last 2 weeks.

Yesterday was a screw up by Leicester. Now it will be Southampton, Leeds and Leicester/Nottingham for me. Looking at their schedule, most likely Nottingham.

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #235 on: May 2, 2023, 05:06:48 pm »
Don't do it to yourself. Everton are not getting relegated. They are getting 5-7 pts from Brighton, Wolves and Bournemouth.

Yesterday was a screw up by Leicester. Now it will be Southampton, Leeds and Leicester/Nottingham for me. Looking at their schedule, most likely Nottingham.

I reckon a £20 hedge should do the trick.
Let's bet on them staying up.
That way....winners either way ;)

Online rushyman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: May 2, 2023, 05:07:51 pm »
City's C team is stronger than Everton's A team.
Maybe even worse for Everton to be up against hyper motivated fringe players desperate to grab their chance and prove a point to baldy and get considered for the finals etc. 

Moyes on the other hand....has a chance to play a real blinder.

The 2nd leg semi is  the away tie 3 days before they play leeds. That's nice

Then the final if they make it would be 3 days after they play Leicester. He would be idiotic to play literally anyone in first team

Jurgen Klopp

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: May 2, 2023, 05:11:35 pm »
West Brom 04/05 stayed up with 34pts.
Thanks, Rob! Then I'm justified for feeling that this season might set a new record... Hope it's not the turd that does that...

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: May 2, 2023, 05:13:17 pm »

I hope this kind of thought goes viral and the players see if and think fuck that and batter the shite. Fergie thought we'd lose to Blackburn and that didn't work for the arl c*nt ;D
Jurgen YNWA

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #239 on: May 2, 2023, 06:32:54 pm »
Too hard to call when one win for any of them at this point makes them favourites to survive. An early red card, a dodgy penalty etc could make all the difference.

Think the only thing you can say with a degree of certainty is that City will probably easily dispatch anyone they have to play (Everton and Leeds). The rest you never really know although you’d expect these teams to lose to the likes of Brighton and Newcastle on current form.

Nothing is done (apart from Southampton). That other four could all stay up. Really can’t call it but I don’t think wolves and Bournemouth are anything like the dead certs for Everton that some of you seem to think.