Author Topic: The Athletic  (Read 25101 times)

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Athletic
« Reply #160 on: August 19, 2021, 06:29:52 pm »
Also in general can someone explain to me what the fuck "The Bid" is?  The club is monitoring the bid.  The club is preparing the bid.  The club is refining the bid.  Who comes up with this shit and why does anybody believe it?  It's crazy.  You mean to tell me these clubs don't pick up the phone and talk?  Spurs are just waiting for this mysterious care package like its Christmas and ManC is fat jolly Santa Claus to find out what they get?   Its a total scam and anybody that believes this should feel bad.
Anachronistic throwback as it sounds, the “bid” does still exist. Remember De Gea, Madrid, deadline day and the “broken” fax machine at Old Trafford? It’s all email these days, with calls in between most likely, but they don’t all spend days in protracted dialogue on a Zoom call. They only talk to iron out the details, when there’s a close match between asking price and offer.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: August 19, 2021, 06:39:32 pm »
Personally I'm a fan of being 'poised' to make a bid. I imagine it involves standing there like a gunslinger, hands hovering over your pockets...

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: August 19, 2021, 06:41:46 pm »
Personally I'm a fan of being 'poised' to make a bid. I imagine it involves standing there like a gunslinger, hands hovering over your pockets...
More like finger hovering over the green ‘send’ button on the fax machine ;D
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #163 on: August 19, 2021, 06:44:44 pm »

It actually is hilarious when you think about it.  What Rossipersempre is saying is understandable but that's just not how most UK based writers report it and you'd think at some point someone would smack some sense into them but here we are paying £0 (lucky) or £5 or whatever a month for writers of every club to say the same thing.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: August 19, 2021, 06:51:05 pm »
It actually is hilarious when you think about it.  What Rossipersempre is saying is understandable but that's just not how most UK based writers report it and you'd think at some point someone would smack some sense into them but here we are paying £0 (lucky) or £5 or whatever a month for writers of every club to say the same thing.
Oh I agree they exaggerate and overdramatise in their writing, purely to appeal to the lowest common denominator but also because I suspect, it helps them justify their own existence during these transfer ‘windows’.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: August 19, 2021, 07:03:08 pm »
Oh I agree they exaggerate and overdramatise in their writing, purely to appeal to the lowest common denominator but also because I suspect, it helps them justify their own existence during these transfer ‘windows’.

Transfer windows must be great for Journos, you can't really write "well, fuck all happened again today", so the only choice is either make shit up, or chat a load of shite about potential transfers and get paid for it.

Jurgen YNWA

Offline Vote For Pedro

• "Kay-bye!"
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: August 20, 2021, 05:25:26 pm »
More like finger hovering over the green ‘send’ button on the fax machine ;D

The transfer line I love most is when a signing is made and they talk about the official unveiling.

I always imagine it literally. Like we sign, say Aouar (or whatever his name is). Standing in front of the wall of champions is a figure draped in a dark shimmery sheet. JK steps from off screen, grabs one corner of the sheet and quickly pulls it off (I'm talking table cloth trick fast). "Ta-dahhhhhh!!!" he German accents out of his mouth, whilst Aouauarrr lets of a party popper and blows into one of those party whistle things made of paper that unfurl and makes a 'comical' noise.

The Boss should totally do this for real.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #168 on: October 30, 2021, 03:49:17 am »
Kloppo had a good dig at the Liverpool Athletic journos (Pearce and Hughes) today in the embargoed press conference.

He didn’t take kindly to that article that came out after the Man Utd game, and basically just let everyone know that it was basically lies.  (He got a good dig in at Trump too, calling it actual fake news, not the Trump kind lol).

Love it that he will call-out these click-bait merchants. All these Athletic articles from ’sources’, always smell greatly of BS.

Video here:
https://twitter.com/thisisanfield/status/1454198859635245057?s=20

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #169 on: October 30, 2021, 10:28:25 am »
Really enjoyed that as Pearce has proven himself to be a sensationalist know-nothing shit-stirring tit for the last few months.
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: October 30, 2021, 10:53:28 am »
Kloppo had a good dig at the Liverpool Athletic journos (Pearce and Hughes) today in the embargoed press conference.

He didn’t take kindly to that article that came out after the Man Utd game, and basically just let everyone know that it was basically lies.  (He got a good dig in at Trump too, calling it actual fake news, not the Trump kind lol).

Love it that he will call-out these click-bait merchants. All these Athletic articles from ’sources’, always smell greatly of BS.

Video here:

Thanks for that. I downloaded the app and then read this and watched the video.

Not much money they just lost but... it all ads (pun intended) up
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: October 30, 2021, 12:46:27 pm »
Really enjoyed that as Pearce has proven himself to be a sensationalist know-nothing shit-stirring tit for the last few months.

Maybe a public dressing down like this will calm him down a bit, he’s been absolutely full of it recently, incredibly condescending, but also lowering himself to the level of the dickheads on Twitter, just a mess.

This is what I was alway suspicious of with his (and many other Athletic) articles with their soruces though. OK, I’m sure they get some stuff, but  it’s got to the point that these lengthy rambling articles like this one Klopp took offence too are all based around ‘un-named sources close to the team’. It’s rubbish.

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #172 on: October 30, 2021, 12:58:38 pm »
Maybe a public dressing down like this will calm him down a bit, he’s been absolutely full of it recently, incredibly condescending, but also lowering himself to the level of the dickheads on Twitter, just a mess.

Fully expecting him to double-down. Classic example of someone raised far above their ability acting like they know more about football than 95% of people. It's always journalists or writers too.
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #173 on: October 30, 2021, 01:06:03 pm »
The Athletic posts shit like that all the time. “Sources close to” means they can say whatever they want doesn’t it. They dress it up as high level journalism though so it’s a lot easier to believe than a daily mail pun filled headline
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline CowboyKangaroo

• aka WayneSkippy
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #174 on: October 30, 2021, 01:07:18 pm »

This is what I was alway suspicious of with his (and many other Athletic) articles with their soruces though. OK, I’m sure they get some stuff, but  it’s got to the point that these lengthy rambling articles like this one Klopp took offence too are all based around ‘un-named sources close to the team’. It’s rubbish.

I don't use twitter, so what has Pearce been saying/doing? (Aside from making up shite about Klopp)
shut up clown. Naby Keita can buy your life and throw it away.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: October 30, 2021, 01:16:35 pm »
I don't use twitter, so what has Pearce been saying/doing? (Aside from making up shite about Klopp)

Twitter is an absolute cesspit (as I am sure we all know)! But he has a large following there and uses the platform a lot, and he gets some ridiculous shit from the dickheads there, calling him xenophobic and racist because he doesn’t like Keita. It’s pathetic - especially as he gives the idiots plenty of legitimate reason to call him out because of the general crapness of his jouranlism. Anyway, instead of doing what he should have done - report people who cross the line, he bites and also has an unplesant habit of being very patronising and condesending towards fans (not the idiots calling him racist, just in general).

I juts get the feeling he’s got far too big for his boots and loves being seen as someone with an ‘in’ with Jürgen Klopp and Liverpool, when it’s become obvious recently that Klopp for sure has no time for him - he gave him another dressing down in a press conference earlier in the sesaon too.

Put it this way - NO ONE comes out well from his Twitter presence, neither him or the dickheads that respond to him.

Offline Lofty Ambitions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: November 1, 2021, 08:22:01 am »
I was on a dollar per month subscription until end of November, when the subscription would have gone up to seven dollars a month, so cancelled promptly,.

I then got a new offer for USD 1.80 per month but having grown tired to this all so did not bite.

There's a brilliant article there still every now and then, but not worth the click bait shit they seem to be producing lately as their new modus operandi.

The Athletic used to be quality over quantity, not so anymore.
The Boy from Brazil!
Redeem us in your stone arms
Float like Papillon
Transfer Haiku by Bud P Austin

Offline Lofty Ambitions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: November 1, 2021, 08:26:24 am »

Video here:

Wow. Just wow. Started now reading older posts here after my decision was made. What absolute crap. Good riddance James Pearce et al, you knob heads.
The Boy from Brazil!
Redeem us in your stone arms
Float like Papillon
Transfer Haiku by Bud P Austin

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: November 1, 2021, 09:23:42 am »
Pearce and his crap articles were one of the reasons I binned the Athletic. Heard a bit of him on their podcast and he was talking about the Twitter reaction to something LFC related, which drives me mad. Journalists need to get out into the real world a bit more instead of obsessing about what dickheads on Twitter are saying.

The Athletic has quickly abandoned its early principles and is now all about clicks and sensationalism. I've always said, the likes of Pearce have the biggest need, because they have to keep coming up with articles to keep their paymasters happy, and when they get desperate they resort to sensationalism, or just play the "sources close to" card, and in doing so risk biting the hand that feeds.

On the one hand they have their contacts who provide their stories, on the other they have their bosses that pay their wages, and the need to sate the bosses will always win, even if it risks pissing off the sources.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #179 on: November 23, 2021, 04:44:08 pm »
£1 or $1 per month for 12 months, if anyone is interested.

https://theathletic.com/checkout2/intro12monthly/?source=twitterorganic

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #180 on: November 23, 2021, 05:14:56 pm »
£1 or $1 per month for 12 months, if anyone is interested.

https://theathletic.com/checkout2/intro12monthly/?source=twitterorganic

I wouldn't be interested at 1p / decade
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #181 on: January 6, 2022, 05:25:34 pm »
Being sold to the New York Times for $550m.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: January 6, 2022, 05:43:51 pm »
Being sold to the New York Times for $550m.

you've got to be fucking kidding?

amazing how they pulled that off given that they are hemorrhaging money.

Offline Songs to Sing

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Hold your head up high He made the people happy
« Reply #183 on: January 6, 2022, 09:16:41 pm »

Do you know the figures?
« Last Edit: January 6, 2022, 09:18:46 pm by Songs to Sing »
-Rafael Benitez 03/06/2010: "Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone." No, thank you, you wondeful, humble, gracious man. You fought for us for years and won't be forgotten.-
The 5th Benitle

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #184 on: January 6, 2022, 09:19:53 pm »
I’m gonna assume shares were offered as part of the deal to attract the journos from established media outlets at the beginning. A lot of people are about to do very well for themselves

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: January 6, 2022, 09:30:23 pm »

Offline Songs to Sing

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Hold your head up high He made the people happy
« Reply #186 on: January 6, 2022, 09:38:43 pm »
Nearly $550m.
As in how much they were losing
-Rafael Benitez 03/06/2010: "Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone." No, thank you, you wondeful, humble, gracious man. You fought for us for years and won't be forgotten.-
The 5th Benitle

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: January 6, 2022, 09:48:09 pm »
As in how much they were losing

I don't recall - I believe it was posted in this thread a few pages back

https://northwestern.forums.rivals.com/threads/the-athletic-is-losing-money-bigly.58975/

first post contains more information.
« Last Edit: January 6, 2022, 09:52:03 pm by newterp »

Offline Bullet500

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: January 6, 2022, 09:59:11 pm »

Pretty much how 'start-up' ecosystem works.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: January 6, 2022, 10:06:36 pm »
Pretty much how 'start-up' ecosystem works.

this is true - but not sure what they are doing that's actually new. I guess they are selling the concept of lots of subscribers and revenue.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: January 6, 2022, 10:25:36 pm »
They will be a price hike on the subscriptions in due time.

NY Times subscription is $72 a year.

I can see them also turning into a Echo/Mirror/Reach Group style with a irritating media player pop up and advert infested site as well to get their money back on the ad revenues. :D
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: January 7, 2022, 07:06:04 am »
They will be a price hike on the subscriptions in due time.

NY Times subscription is $72 a year.

I can see them also turning into a Echo/Mirror/Reach Group style with a irritating media player pop up and advert infested site as well to get their money back on the ad revenues. :D

One of the Athletic's main sells is that it doesn't have advertising/pop-ups/etc because you pay the subscription, introducing them would certainly wreck their offering.

Frankly, nothing will ever try to imitate the Mirror/Reach Group stuff as they are literally the worst websites in the world.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #192 on: January 7, 2022, 11:02:36 pm »
Can definitely see some of the bigger writers riding off to pastures new with their gains. To be sat with Rory Smith and a pint right now...
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #193 on: January 8, 2022, 12:50:06 pm »
Hopelly this means they turn off comments on articles

Offline Lynx the saucy mynx

• Kopite
« Reply #194 on: January 20, 2022, 12:52:53 pm »
With today’s news they reported, I feel less inclined to ever take them seriously now. It just feels like they are trying to discredit us.

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #195 on: January 20, 2022, 12:58:47 pm »
Isn't Si Hughes supposed to be a red too?

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: January 20, 2022, 12:58:57 pm »
What part of the article do you believe is inaccurate?

Online clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: January 20, 2022, 01:04:11 pm »
Isn't Si Hughes supposed to be a red too?

I think Klopp called him out on something and has been bitter ever since.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #198 on: January 20, 2022, 01:11:05 pm »
It’s just a nonsense article, guaranteed to generate clicks the day of the match.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: January 20, 2022, 01:11:24 pm »
On this one, Lamonti's post on it is really helpful I reckon.
https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=351228.msg18135009#msg18135009

"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422