Author Topic: Play Football  (Read 44842 times)

Offline Pata

• cake
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Play Football
« Reply #120 on: June 15, 2015, 01:04:59 pm »
Tore my ACL on 2 June in the 59th game of the season. Operation on the 23rd. Doing prehab physio now.
Just massively inconvenient, really. Out for 6-12 months, sitting out a mate's stag do this week end, had to cancel my holiday in mid-July, etc.
Hopefully, will in shape to get to Cardiff for the Ashes on 10 July but all-day boozing is out of the quesion. (screams)

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: June 15, 2015, 06:51:33 pm »
Tore my ACL on 2 June in the 59th game of the season. Operation on the 23rd. Doing prehab physio now.
Just massively inconvenient, really. Out for 6-12 months, sitting out a mate's stag do this week end, had to cancel my holiday in mid-July, etc.
Hopefully, will in shape to get to Cardiff for the Ashes on 10 July but all-day boozing is out of the quesion. (screams)

How do you manage 59 games considering you're never in the same city for more than three days at a time?
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #122 on: June 16, 2015, 10:47:44 am »
How do you manage 59 games considering you're never in the same city for more than three days at a time?
away matches ;)
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Pata

• cake
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: June 16, 2015, 02:16:45 pm »

It's just an impression I skillfully create. :)

Had a decent run in the last 3 seasons tbf, as largely managed to avoid major injuries. 55 matches last season. 37 the one  before, despite missing 2 1/2 months because of a broken jaw.

Offline Pata

• cake
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: June 16, 2015, 02:18:15 pm »
away matches ;)
(checks)
Just the two - Oxford & Copenhagen, the latter my best game in quite some time.

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: June 17, 2015, 07:33:48 pm »
(checks)
Just the two - Oxford & Copenhagen, the latter my best game in quite some time.

Hope the ACL fixes up sharply mate. You're due a 60-game season next year, I've heard.
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline gwalk

• Legacy Fan
  • ní fheicfidh tú ag siúl ina n-aonar
« Reply #126 on: June 29, 2015, 05:28:23 pm »
Anyone know of any teams around Wavertree/Sefton park are looking for players? Dying to get back into it and get a decent preseason under my belt

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #127 on: June 30, 2015, 06:27:30 am »
Won our first 5 a side game last night ;D after 10 attempts in the league. Scored 2 and set 2 up in a nice 5-2 win :)

Moves us off the bottom of the table with 2 or 3 games to go haha.

The XI a side team I planned on joining folded through lack of players, back to the drawing board there.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: June 30, 2015, 05:25:20 pm »
Any tips for someone who's good at finishing, but not at dribbling? I prefer to play as striker but because I'm quick, I play wing.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #129 on: June 30, 2015, 05:58:09 pm »
Anyone know of any teams around Wavertree/Sefton park are looking for players? Dying to get back into it and get a decent preseason under my belt

That's where I am, would love just a 5 a side every now and then!
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline gwalk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: June 30, 2015, 05:59:22 pm »

That's where I am, would love just a 5 a side every now and then!
ah I've found one up by childwall school that are training tomorrow and one Saturday morning in Sefton park so gonna head to both and see which I prefer

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: July 1, 2015, 11:41:01 am »
mate of mine managed a team this season. he is only in his 20s but he got them promoted.

good few of my mates joining up next season. id love to try it again as in the last year ive got very fit and lost a lot of weight plus id like to join a team with a proper set up but regrettably its not possible because i live too far away

never was in a football team that had a proper set up (ie, people who know what they are doing, and a good attendance at training and people not bitching at you every 10 seconds.) so ive pretty much given up on playing like that again.

no regrets really, hope they do well obviously

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #132 on: July 7, 2015, 11:31:37 am »
Does anyone know the rough distance you'd cover playing five-a-side for an hour?  Just trying to work out how much I'm running these days.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: July 7, 2015, 11:32:59 am »
how long is a piece of string?

need one of them wrist things to track it. only way really

a mate of mine did it one saturday. think we did 11k in about 80 mins

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #134 on: July 7, 2015, 11:41:52 am »
I might give that a go, cheers.  Did a bit of research and found this:

http://www.5-a-side.com/fitness/the-physical-and-mental-benefits-of-5-a-side/

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: July 7, 2015, 11:54:36 am »
thats an interesting comparison alright

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #136 on: October 13, 2015, 04:49:14 pm »
I might give that a go, cheers.  Did a bit of research and found this:

http://www.5-a-side.com/fitness/the-physical-and-mental-benefits-of-5-a-side/

Interesting website that - wish it was around 15 years ago when me and mates were playing a but more livelier than we do now ;)

Playing 5-aside twice a week over the Summer has really helped the fitness and be ready for the over 35's 11-a-side footy on a Sunday. Last season I was only playing 5's once a week and struggled in the over 35's for fitness - this season no problems so far, feel sharper and quicker to the ball or support teammates even late on in games.

Love some of the info on warming up and cooling down for 5's - as well as some of the myths about the benefits and cons too.

Only thing missing so far is a few confidence-boosting wins :)
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #137 on: October 13, 2015, 05:42:23 pm »
My 5 a side team gets battered week in week out.

We started to get a little better, so we weren't the worst in the league, but our best player has moved to Aus and his replacement is the worst I've ever seen.

Back to the bottom.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: October 14, 2015, 09:16:43 am »
as ive been saying in that thread "the small things in life that really annoy you"

i tend to play every wednesday 5 a side. but unfortunately in recent weeks we have either
1. not had a game because of a lack of numbers
2. had uneven numbers because of no shows

really annoying. just as i start typing this i get a mail too. we again only have 9 this week

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #139 on: October 14, 2015, 01:25:04 pm »
as ive been saying in that thread "the small things in life that really annoy you"

i tend to play every wednesday 5 a side. but unfortunately in recent weeks we have either
1. not had a game because of a lack of numbers
2. had uneven numbers because of no shows

really annoying. just as i start typing this i get a mail too. we again only have 9 this week
Put up a notice at the sport hall that you use for players?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #140 on: October 14, 2015, 01:49:55 pm »
I play 5 a side twice a week (when we can get enough players).  Monday game is on 3G and is a fairly fast-paced game with a bunch of guys either my age or younger.  Thursday game is indoors and nearly everyone there is older than me and the pace is more leisurely.

It bugs me that I can't get my footballing brain to understand that I have more time on the ball on Thursdays and I can use my physicality to my advantage because I'm probably quicker and more agile than 90% of the people in that game.  I still end up hitting shots quickly instead of taking an extra touch because I'm so used to doing that on Monday nights.

It's weird, I play to the pace of the game on Thursday (less sprints, more casual), but can't shake the habits of the Monday games, which I've played for years more.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: October 14, 2015, 03:19:44 pm »
Put up a notice at the sport hall that you use for players?
i think all avenues have been exhausted. unfortunately other than no shows etc we picked up some injuries too

it can be strange alright. I used to play on a wednesday and thursday (different to the above game). the Wednesday game had more players and a much bigger pitch, the thursday one also had some different rules such as scoring inside the box and passbacks were allowed. you could also purposely hit the ball behind the goal and if it didnt come back it was goal kick plus it could also go out for throws

it took a bit of adjustment for one game to the other. also at times you still hadnt recovered from wednesday so you could be running on empty on thursday.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #142 on: October 15, 2015, 02:38:03 pm »
I play 5 a side twice a week (when we can get enough players).  Monday game is on 3G and is a fairly fast-paced game with a bunch of guys either my age or younger.  Thursday game is indoors and nearly everyone there is older than me and the pace is more leisurely.

It bugs me that I can't get my footballing brain to understand that I have more time on the ball on Thursdays and I can use my physicality to my advantage because I'm probably quicker and more agile than 90% of the people in that game.  I still end up hitting shots quickly instead of taking an extra touch because I'm so used to doing that on Monday nights.

It's weird, I play to the pace of the game on Thursday (less sprints, more casual), but can't shake the habits of the Monday games, which I've played for years more.

Have you tried playing a more tactical game on the slower Thursday game mate? Don't look to move as quickly or beating people with skills or peppering the goal with shots - but think about getting in space or offering yourself as an outlet more, keeping possession, more passing, movement off the ball for teammates, more talking to teammates etc.

For me it helped my enjoyment in the slower game - but also helped my awareness and tactics for the quicker game too. Took a few weeks to get used too - but was worth it :)
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #143 on: October 15, 2015, 03:12:33 pm »
My 5 a side team gets battered week in week out.

We started to get a little better, so we weren't the worst in the league, but our best player has moved to Aus and his replacement is the worst I've ever seen.

Back to the bottom.

Is it a competitive league or more of a social league? Does your team play as a team (for each other) - or rely on individuals to score enough goals or defend etc?

Simple things like formation, shape, communication - moving up and down the pitch as a unit (not having the forward slacking off and letting men run through to give them an overload, or the defender who has to beat the 3rd/4th man instead of laying it off and playing through them - and then can't get back to defend when countered on).

Even simpler stuff like getting the gk to roll the ball out along the floor - NOT throw or bounce it to you - a simple rollout is easier to control which gives you more time to look up & around and see what is going on and what options there are - get the ball moving quicker. Having to control a bouncing lazy throwout can put you under pressure from the opposition - and gives you less time to get any passing move going.

Follow up shots (both in defence and attack) - as soon the lad is going to hit the shot look to follow up for the rebound / split shot from the gk/walls. A lot of players don't anticipate - they just react and react too slowly (especially as we get older) after the gk has spilt it or off the wall. You don't have to bust a gut to go clear - but do enough to get in front of the opposition - and it'll give you enough time to get back if you do have get back and defend quickly.

If you can get your lads to stay for a pint after the game - some time chatting about the game you've just played itself, some time about footy in general or whatever. The bonding helps create teamwork - to work that little extra for each other for your mates. Arrive 10 mins earlier if you can - watch some of the game before you, you may learn a trick or tactic you can use (or what not to! lol) - or just see who the good players are and what they like to do for when you play them the next week - as well as the bad players too!

Stay positive - hard to do when you're being beat 8-0 by 25year old superfit and superior players who are on £40 a game at the weekends but annoyingly playing in Division 7 of the local Powerleague... but set the team achievements (ie keep the score down early on and frustrate them by denying them space by getting more people behind the ball - play more on the counter and if you have a lad with a powerful shot use it - some keepers at decent teams get bored when they have little to do or the ball is at the other end of the pitch a lot, and so test them out).

Don't give the ref shite. You don't have to love the ref - but if you give shite out to him he'll remember (subconsciously or not) and it's human nature that he may not be giving you many 50/50 decisions if you've been calling him a cnut for 7 weeks running. Show him a little respect, have a little chat or joke - they are human too - honest! You may just get that penalty decision or close call that can change a game - or just your team a goal. Plus, he won't be thinking 'its that bunch of moaners/wankers again' - he may actually pay more attention to the game itself, and not let Harry 'The Hacker' Hackerson foul/abuse you constantly for 20 mins whilst claiming 'not to have seen anything' ;)

Failing that - get your team to move to Aus close to that good player you had :)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 03:15:30 pm by oojason »

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #144 on: October 15, 2015, 03:40:03 pm »
Have you tried playing a more tactical game on the slower Thursday game mate? Don't look to move as quickly or beating people with skills or peppering the goal with shots - but think about getting in space or offering yourself as an outlet more, keeping possession, more passing, movement off the ball for teammates, more talking to teammates etc.

For me it helped my enjoyment in the slower game - but also helped my awareness and tactics for the quicker game too. Took a few weeks to get used too - but was worth it :)

Yeah, there's been many a week where I've told myself 'RIGHT, this time just get the ball, lay it off and move into space', but then on the day that all goes out the window because the technical level of the players in that game isn't all that high, if I lay it off and move, I'm not getting it back, it's just bouncing off someone's shin and I'm having to dash back to cover the attacks.

Even simpler stuff like getting the gk to roll the ball out along the floor - NOT throw or bounce it to you - a simple rollout is easier to control which gives you more time to look up & around and see what is going on and what options there are - get the ball moving quicker. Having to control a bouncing lazy throwout can put you under pressure from the opposition - and gives you less time to get any passing move going.

This sort of stuff drives me nuts.  At least half the people who get a turn in goal don't roll the ball to feet and instead just lob it at you at knee height.

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #145 on: October 15, 2015, 05:08:29 pm »
Yeah, there's been many a week where I've told myself 'RIGHT, this time just get the ball, lay it off and move into space', but then on the day that all goes out the window because the technical level of the players in that game isn't all that high, if I lay it off and move, I'm not getting it back, it's just bouncing off someone's shin and I'm having to dash back to cover the attacks.

Could you play the defender/creator role? Get the ball at the back and distribute / control the game a bit - if the technical side isn't high the chances are you'll see lots more of the ball at the back and get the chance to boss the game more from there?  (In my mind I'm Baresi - in the other players' minds I'm probably Tony Adams after a few :))

Re the lazy the goalies lobbing the ball knee height to you - yeah, seen many crossed words and fights between gks and defenders who've been sold short by a shit/lazy throw out! Half the time they lob the ball behind you so you have to turn facing your own goal or corner instead of looking forward to start a move off - or being able to see the forward flying in to try and rob you of the ball - or chance for a cheap hit on you in the corner! Then the gk looks at you like you've made the mistake!  :butt

Though at least they've never done this (to date) - http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/best-5-side-goal-you-6198819

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #146 on: October 21, 2015, 11:00:27 pm »
So my normal game now is a leisurely enough six or even seven a side indoors on boards using one of those over sized tennis ball type balls, with not much in the way of running and hardly any sprinting, if you don't want to. I'm about middle of the pack age wise, at 45 and the youngest would be late twenties. We have a couple of older guys who show up with knees strapped and go in goal for the hour. Mostly, though, it's a matter of space so when you have 12 or 14 players in a given space, there really isn't much running to do. I don't really feel it the following day, put it that way.

Tonight, I was asked to go back to my old game which is on 3G or whatever they call it, they were short of numbers. There was a few of the younger (than me) guys from my normal game, mixed with some 30s and a couple of 18 year olds. All players who knew what they were doing, too, very few missed passes. Bigger pitch and five a side. After five minutes, I thought I was having an asthmatic attack. I did alright, though, kept going but missed a half a dozen chances just from being fucked with the effort of getting up there. I hope it's six a side next week. If they have me back...

Offline BigAl24

• Would rather take one from the whole team than from just one billy goat.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #147 on: November 11, 2015, 01:31:45 pm »
Love playing. Keeps me going in the week and something to look forward to at the weekend!
"We change from doubters to believers. Now"

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #148 on: November 11, 2015, 01:47:13 pm »
Looks like my 5 a side team will finish the season with a 2-0-15 record.

Painful.

Offline gwalk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: February 9, 2016, 01:28:23 pm »
Anybody know of any 11 a side teams in Liverpool looking for players?

Can't seem to find any on gumtree

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: February 9, 2016, 01:49:17 pm »
Anybody know of any 11 a side teams in Liverpool looking for players?

Can't seem to find any on gumtree
http://www.localfooty.co.uk/teams?location=43

try here

De La Salle possibly are

cant see anyone else

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: February 28, 2016, 09:53:46 am »
Anyone know the best way to avoid cramp in my calfs?? Warmed up properly, drank loads of fluids before hand but still get cramp in my calfs around 75 mins into a match!

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: February 29, 2016, 10:03:03 am »
Anyone know the best way to avoid cramp in my calfs?? Warmed up properly, drank loads of fluids before hand but still get cramp in my calfs around 75 mins into a match!
half time take on some fluid, maybe even a jaffa cake or two and use some deep heat

stretch them out if you can during stoppages

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: February 29, 2016, 10:29:33 am »

half time take on some fluid, maybe even a jaffa cake or two and use some deep heat

stretch them out if you can during stoppages
Thanks mate. It's a difficult area to treat quickly when you have shin pads and tape and socks etc in the way!

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: February 29, 2016, 10:37:53 am »
Thanks mate. It's a difficult area to treat quickly when you have shin pads and tape and socks etc in the way!
especially when the game is going on, half time is about the only time you can.

though shinpads shouldnt be a problem for that area

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #155 on: February 29, 2016, 08:53:23 pm »
Just lost 18-0 at 5 a side

We've got this lad who is so bad it's like a -1 player as opposed to a 0. We'd be better playing with 4 players than 5 including him

So fucking frustrating.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #156 on: February 29, 2016, 09:03:03 pm »
Just lost 18-0 at 5 a side

We've got this lad who is so bad it's like a -1 player as opposed to a 0. We'd be better playing with 4 players than 5 including him

So fucking frustrating.

Haha that sounds like me  ;D

Just keep talking him through the game and don't pass unless it's easy for him to control it. Also make sure everyone makes extra effort to give him options on the ball. A lot of people don't bother thinking a bad player will lose it anyway, which just compounds the issue. If there's width and depth he should be able to receive and pass it on most of the time, he'll eventually grow into it

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: February 29, 2016, 10:14:15 pm »
I know that feeling only too well. Usually people who don't try a leg or break sweat

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #158 on: March 1, 2016, 01:34:55 pm »
Haha that sounds like me  ;D

Just keep talking him through the game and don't pass unless it's easy for him to control it. Also make sure everyone makes extra effort to give him options on the ball. A lot of people don't bother thinking a bad player will lose it anyway, which just compounds the issue. If there's width and depth he should be able to receive and pass it on most of the time, he'll eventually grow into it

He won't grow into it it's been 10 weeks now and he doesn't even try. Doesn't track back, runs at a 90 degree angle, warms up with his hands in his pockets, doesn't listen to instructions, tried to tell me off for taking it too seriously!

I wish he'd quit.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: March 1, 2016, 02:39:31 pm »
He won't grow into it it's been 10 weeks now and he doesn't even try. Doesn't track back, runs at a 90 degree angle, warms up with his hands in his pockets, doesn't listen to instructions, tried to tell me off for taking it too seriously!

I wish he'd quit.
sounds exactly like a fella who used to play astro with me

the amount of games he single handedly ruined by not trying was ridiculous. then he would get on the ball, instead of playing a quick pass would dawdle about with these stupid pointless flicks and usually either lost possession or chipped it 20 yards to nowhere

only time he moved was to try barge someone into a wall, 90% of the time he didnt bother to break sweat

i used to say that i doubt he even needed to wash after games

we played one wednesday and it was like a sauna, me and another guy were centre back against him and we didnt have to try hard at all yet were still covered in sweat, rest of the lads on his team drowned in sweat, this fellas jersey was bone dry at the end of the game. Not even a bead of sweat on his head.

we had to constantly try balance teams around his uber-shitness

« Last Edit: March 1, 2016, 02:42:10 pm by Hellrazor »