Author Topic: The PS3 thread  (Read 1030259 times)

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The PS3 thread
« Reply #18120 on: January 13, 2015, 06:36:19 pm »
Have you tried deleting any patches and install data?

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #18121 on: January 14, 2015, 01:11:28 pm »
Its strange I thought I would give GTA 5 another go last night at about 11pm and it worked fine after not working all day and played it for a few hours no problem.

Today its Black ops 2 that keeps crashing haven't tried GTA5 yet.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #18122 on: January 14, 2015, 01:23:19 pm »
I borrowed my brothers PS3 and must admit its putting me off buying a PS4 The last of us and GTA5 are crashing all the time and its a real pain.

Why would a game not working on a PS3 put you off getting a PS4?

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #18123 on: January 14, 2015, 01:27:10 pm »
Why would a game not working on a PS3 put you off getting a PS4?

I'm because of the problem I am having never had the problem with my xbox 360

Mind you I/m enjoy playing Modern ware 2 online again it never crashes for some reason. maybe because its an older game.

In the end I will more than likely get the PS 4.

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #18124 on: January 14, 2015, 01:29:34 pm »
I'm because of the problem I am having never had the problem with my xbox 360

Mind you I/m enjoy playing Modern ware 2 online again it never crashes for some reason. maybe because its an older game.

In the end I will more than likely get the PS 4.

Yes, but the PS4 probably has more in common with the xbone than the ps3 in terms of technology.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #18125 on: January 14, 2015, 01:44:47 pm »
Now I'm getting a warning that I may be but on probation because I keep leaving games on Black ops 2  no the bloody game keeps crashing.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #18126 on: January 14, 2015, 02:01:56 pm »
sounds like a dodgy ps3, not had any problems with mine which is nearly 7 years old, played gta v and black ops 2 all the way through and never seen any crashes

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #18127 on: January 14, 2015, 04:01:52 pm »
sounds like a dodgy ps3, not had any problems with mine which is nearly 7 years old, played gta v and black ops 2 all the way through and never seen any crashes
Yeah, same here - and I've really pushed my PS3 to the limit sometimes, like with many hours battering games in full stereoscopic 3D (turned all the way up to its maximum setting), and occasionally playing constantly until the fan in the poor thing was sounding like it was about to take off... but I can't recall many actual crashes, if any.

Sounds more like something might've gone slightly kaput inside that one, unlucky. I've had a few issues with the dualshock 3 controllers, but generally the console itself has been rock solid - and considering how it coped with graphically-amazing games like TLOU and GTA V released some 7 years after its birth, I don't think build quality has been a big issue this past gen. Guess they've all gotta go sometime, though.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #18128 on: January 19, 2015, 03:44:08 pm »
Its crashing all over the place now any game I try to play I can't get pass the opening of Little Big Planet without it crashing out and last week I was playing it no problem

I gave my brother a ring and he brought it from Game around 9 months ago it was a used one.

I checked the site and they have a 12 month guarantee so I have email them and asked them to swap it for a different PS3.

Waiting for them to get back.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 03:46:41 pm by Trada »

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #18129 on: January 27, 2015, 05:01:11 pm »
It died on me all together wouldn't boot at all.

Went to game and they swapped it for another PS 3 this one seems ok so far playing past where the other one kept crashing.

Offline wardides

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • A FUCKING BEACH BALL
« Reply #18130 on: April 6, 2015, 08:06:42 pm »
Anyway to stream football or sky sports etc through PS3? As in without having to use a laptop & HDMI, just a site that streams off the browser?
Bet 1, Lyon v B Munich...No Hat Trick @ 1.03.
Little does he know, he's left the Beatles and joined fucking Razorlight.

Online Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #18131 on: April 7, 2015, 12:15:37 pm »
Anyway to stream football or sky sports etc through PS3? As in without having to use a laptop & HDMI, just a site that streams off the browser?

Probably not, the browser doesn't support flash which is how most of those sites work.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18132 on: April 22, 2015, 07:05:45 pm »
Is it just my PS3 that isn't opening PSN Store or is it a problem for everyone? Haven't been able to get on it for 5 days now

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #18133 on: April 22, 2015, 08:34:20 pm »
Is it just my PS3 that isn't opening PSN Store or is it a problem for everyone? Haven't been able to get on it for 5 days now
Been working for me. Just checked it now.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #18134 on: April 28, 2015, 07:27:35 pm »
Anyone have any experience with Jailbreaking the PS3?

Ive got a PS3 Slim 4.60 CECH-2504B. Not sure how to do it to be honest.

I don't care much for games I just want to play .MKV files on it.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #18135 on: April 28, 2015, 11:36:54 pm »

Anyone have any experience with Jailbreaking the PS3?

Ive got a PS3 Slim 4.60 CECH-2504B. Not sure how to do it to be honest.

I don't care much for games I just want to play .MKV files on it.

I have custom firmware on mine. If you are on a higher firmware than 3.55 though you will need to use an E3 flasher. Pretty sure it involves soldering. Might be worth it for games not so much just for MKV files. You can get a Raspberry Pi 2 instead for that. It can also emulate PS 1 games.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #18136 on: April 28, 2015, 11:39:24 pm »

I have custom firmware on mine. If you are on a higher firmware than 3.55 though you will need to use an E3 flasher. Pretty sure it involves soldering. Might be worth it for games not so much just for MKV files. You can get a Raspberry Pi 2 instead for that. It can also emulate PS 1 games.

Can you downgrade without a flasher??

I thought it would be a simple process but it doesn't seem like it. Raspberry Pi? What on earth is that??! Isn't that an android OS?

I'm on 4.60 my PS3 Says so I'm fucked. O well.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18137 on: April 28, 2015, 11:45:03 pm »
Can you downgrade without a flasher??

I thought it would be a simple process but it doesn't seem like it. Raspberry Pi? What on earth is that??! Isn't that an android OS?

I'm on 4.60 my PS3 Says so I'm fucked. O well.
No. You need a flasher to downgrade.

Pi is a tiny computer usually running Linux. It is dirt cheap and makes a great media player. The newest version of it is powerful enough to use as an emulator for PS1 and N64.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #18138 on: April 28, 2015, 11:57:14 pm »

Pi is a tiny computer usually running Linux. It is dirt cheap and makes a great media player. The newest version of it is powerful enough to use as an emulator for PS1 and N64.

Cheers mate. I'll look into that. I do use the media server to stream MKV's but Id prefer have all my stuff on external hardrive. Might invest in one of these Pi's.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #18139 on: April 29, 2015, 12:03:18 am »

One more thing, where's the best place to purchase one of these Raspberry Pi's? Having a gander on eBay here.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18140 on: April 29, 2015, 12:16:38 am »
One more thing, where's the best place to purchase one of these Raspberry Pi's? Having a gander on eBay here.
Have a look on one of these

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/processor-microcontroller-development-kits/832-6274/

http://www.element14.com/community/community/raspberry-pi

http://thepihut.com/products/raspberry-pi-2-model-b

You will need to add a few things like a case, a power supply and a memory card but it should still be about 40 quid for everything. Don't bother with a remote control as your TV remote probably works and the phone apps are better than dedicated remotes anyway. If you want it on wifi rather than wired it will also need a wifi adapter.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #18141 on: April 29, 2015, 12:18:36 am »

Have a look on one of these

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/processor-microcontroller-development-kits/832-6274/

http://www.element14.com/community/community/raspberry-pi

http://thepihut.com/products/raspberry-pi-2-model-b

You will need to add a few things like a case, a power supply and a memory card but it should still be about 40 quid for everything. Don't bother with a remote control as your TV remote probably works and the phone apps are better than dedicated remotes anyway. If you want it on wifi rather than wired it will also need a wifi adapter.

Thanks mate, very helpful.

First I've heard of these. Sound like a decent little machine, certainly useful. Considering I use my PS3 as a media player, this may replace it.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18142 on: April 29, 2015, 12:23:21 am »
Thanks mate, very helpful.

First I've heard of these. Sound like a decent little machine, certainly useful. Considering I use my PS3 as a media player, this may replace it.
Have a look in the XBMC thread. It's a great set up for a media system. You might see a suggestion that you prefer to the Pi 2 but that's what I would go with myself. Ironically, XBMC started off as an XBox project.

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18143 on: April 30, 2015, 10:30:14 am »
Looking to upgrade my 12gb PS3 but all the SATA hard drives I’ve asked about on Ebay are only for movies, pictures etc. Need it primarily for downloading games on PSN Store, any able to point me in the right direction? Don’t want to spend more than £20

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #18144 on: April 30, 2015, 05:22:56 pm »
Looking to upgrade my 12gb PS3 but all the SATA hard drives I’ve asked about on Ebay are only for movies, pictures etc. Need it primarily for downloading games on PSN Store, any able to point me in the right direction? Don’t want to spend more than £20

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Western-Digital-and-Seagate-250gb-2-5-Sata-Laptop-Hard-Disc-Drive-/330940060952?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d0d909518

any 2.5" sata drive will work, just make sure it's no more than 9.5mm thick

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #18145 on: October 7, 2015, 08:51:11 am »
My CECHA01 Phat PS3 finally YLOD'ed.

After browsing way too much about reworking/ovens/hairdryers/reflows, I think reballing (replacing the bad solder) with lead solder and a high speed fan mod is the way to go, so I've just mailed the Phat to this guy:  http://www.spitfiremods.com/game-console-flat-rate-leaded-reball-service/

After I get it back, this guy has some ideas that will probably work.  I like the simple case mod of cutting a hole in the bottom, but removing all that junk inside to get to the case...
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi