Author Topic: The 25th of May, Happy Istanbul Day and Rome day.  (Read 53650 times)

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The 25th of May, Happy Istanbul Day and Rome day.
« Reply #240 on: May 25, 2014, 09:44:39 pm »
Have to say can't understand those who are reluctant to look back and celebrate days such as these. What's the matter with them, why are they so embarrassed by it? While I agree we need to look forward, we also need to celebrate what was. Instead of wanting to hide these successes away in a cupboard, we should treat them as an incentive for the latest players to aim for. This football club should never be afraid, we have conquered everest before, we will conquer it again. 

Agree. History can remind players who they are playing for and what they can achieve. And the same goes for the supporters. We should treasure our biggest achievements. If for nothing else, so because it feels good to remember.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline chanti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: May 25, 2014, 10:05:05 pm »
Remember that I had to write a physic paper after the Rome 84 final. Managed to pass the paper tho.

Years later I got a VHS cassette on the penalty shootout.  I must have watched that bit about 100 times.

YNWA.

Offline Tom18

• Kopite
« Reply #242 on: May 25, 2014, 10:57:07 pm »
9 years a go today was the best day in my life footballing wise. Doubt we'll see anything like that ever again.

Offline seanbren

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #243 on: May 26, 2014, 11:00:28 am »
Aldo at the airport the next day being carried shoulder high. 
So many memories.
Like the very drunk scally who thought our  taxi driver was his mum. He was that knackered he refused to get out of the cab at the airport. He kept saying '5 minutes more mum' god knows what the taxi driver thought.......as he drove off at about 200 miles per hour :)

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #244 on: May 26, 2014, 01:03:11 pm »
9 years ago today I woke up on a couch somewhere and was sacked from my job.
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Today's newspaper, tomorrow's chip paper
« Reply #245 on: May 26, 2014, 01:08:58 pm »
9 years ago today I woke up on a couch somewhere and was sacked from my job.
Worth it though...

What a fucking memory that day was.
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

And then we'll get 4th as well and everyone in the whole world can do one.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #246 on: May 26, 2014, 02:39:37 pm »

Probably been posted a few times, but still worth a Montse:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/mDLSu8VZ8G8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/mDLSu8VZ8G8</a>

Cheers Rafa :)

« Last Edit: February 9, 2022, 03:02:58 am by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: May 25, 2016, 06:01:59 pm »
Fucking boss. What a fucking week Istanbul was. Best memories of my life.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: May 25, 2016, 06:43:25 pm »
Fantastic few days in Istanbul. Unbelievable game. You couldn't write a better script. Will remember it forever.

Found my ticket a while ago. Together with the ticket from the Alaves game. Both are now framed and put on display. 

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #249 on: May 25, 2016, 06:49:41 pm »
I am stood behind the Joey Jones banner with my brother. What an amazing journey from Lime street to Rome on the train.

That Joey Jones banner was epic, whoever thought of that was a genius.  :D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #250 on: May 25, 2016, 06:50:29 pm »
bon anniversaire

Offline Now Jürgena Believe Us

• Boys Pen
« Reply #251 on: May 25, 2016, 08:23:35 pm »
Alles Gute zum Jubiläum!

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #252 on: May 25, 2016, 08:26:17 pm »
Can I also wish you all happy towel day

H2G2
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline clogandbottle

• d it
  • Main Stander
« Reply #253 on: May 25, 2016, 10:18:00 pm »
it's also my birthday, best birthday i had was in 2005 in Istanbul

Offline iAnfieldRoad

• Legacy Fan
  • JUSTICE IS COMING
« Reply #254 on: May 25, 2016, 10:54:31 pm »
HAPPY ANNIVERSARIES REDMEN.YNWA. ;)
Justice for the 97
You`ll never walk alone

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #255 on: May 25, 2017, 08:50:01 am »
12 years today I witnessed my first miracle. :D

40 years ago today (blimey!), we won it for the first time.

What a date,  must be the best one in our history!

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: May 25, 2017, 09:04:28 am »
Perfect that it's a religious holiday today. ;D

Fantastic day. "Champions League we're having a laugh."

Offline Schneiderman

• Kemlynite
« Reply #257 on: May 25, 2017, 09:23:30 am »
happy anniversary YNWA

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #258 on: May 25, 2017, 09:31:58 am »
Think we should lobby UEFA to have the CL final on the 25th May every year. They obviously wouldn't agree to such a request since that would mean us winning it every year  :champ :champ :champ

Happy Istanbul & Rome day!
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: May 25, 2017, 10:00:25 am »
 :scarf

Best week of my life!!

Those few days on Taksim will never be beaten.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: May 25, 2017, 01:39:27 pm »
What a fucking day. Number 5, the greatest game of football ever played.

Offline rhylred

• Here, There and Everywhere Bar Hull City.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: May 25, 2017, 03:15:55 pm »
Ha Ha was just thinking about Rome 77 as i applied online for me over 60's train pass which i can get in a couple of weeks.. :duh
Will never ever be lucky enough to go on a train journey which i was honoured to be on that week..
Going to a dinner tommorow night  with the great Ray Clemence & the legend that is Joey Jones,all the great memories will come flooding back..

Offline Antoine Lavoisier

• Anny Roader
  • the torchlight red on sweaty faces
« Reply #262 on: May 25, 2017, 03:54:10 pm »
40 years and 12 years?? Where has it gone? :(
And in short, I was afraid

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #263 on: May 25, 2017, 04:01:43 pm »
Interestingly 25th of May 1977 was also the day Star Wars premiered.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #264 on: May 25, 2017, 04:28:50 pm »
That day 12 years ago will forever be the strangest.

I was home revising for my A-Levels when my mum arrived back from work in the morning and informed me that my grandmother had passed away suddenly, unexpectedly, and at a young age.  Essentially, it's my grandmother and my dad moving to Liverpool during his childhood that has determined that I'm a Liverpool supporter and all my memories of time with her (particularly Christmas) are so bound up with imagery or discussion of the Club (not to mention the ridiculous amount of LFC-related gifts...!).  Most of my extended family lived about two hours away, so we'd head up there as a family perhaps five or six times a year for the weekend - my brother and I would spend a night each at hers.  I carried that on until I was about 14/15 but there came I time when I wanted to be a grown-up and spend the evenings with the generation in between - my parents always stayed with their best friends - so I stopped staying as often as I did when I was younger.  I'd say that I regretted that - a year or two of wasted final evenings - but I think it was a very normal teenage reaction and I'm sure she understood that.

The six or seven hours that followed my mum's arrival home were bizarre - my dad returned home early but we left my brother in school - and what I'd hoped would be a day spent reading and watching match build-up just turned into a day where I feel like I sat alone in my room staring blankly at nothing in particular.  It must have been half-six/seven, when we eventually all sort of emerged from that day dream - we needed to eat and, as a family, we needed to get round the television and cheer on the Reds.  In some ways, watching the match together would have been cathartic regardless of the outcome, but - of course - well, we all know what followed.

Some days I can't believe it's been a whole twelve years; other days I can't believe it's only been twelve.  What I do know is that the best and worst of my 10686 days so far - at ridiculous odds - happened to fall on the same one.

It's against all my instincts and beliefs, but if one day I'm proved wrong and somehow she did have a hand in Jerzy's save... I'll not mind  ;)

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #265 on: May 25, 2017, 04:36:11 pm »
Dusty round here. Something in my eye...

• Anny Roader
« Reply #266 on: May 25, 2017, 04:38:45 pm »
Interestingly 25th of May 1977 was also the day Star Wars premiered.

Well I never! Nice one for that.

• Anny Roader
« Reply #267 on: May 25, 2017, 04:40:03 pm »
That day 12 years ago will forever be the strangest.

I was home revising for my A-Levels when my mum arrived back from work in the morning and informed me that my grandmother had passed away suddenly, unexpectedly, and at a young age.  Essentially, it's my grandmother and my dad moving to Liverpool during his childhood that has determined that I'm a Liverpool supporter and all my memories of time with her (particularly Christmas) are so bound up with imagery or discussion of the Club (not to mention the ridiculous amount of LFC-related gifts...!).  Most of my extended family lived about two hours away, so we'd head up there as a family perhaps five or six times a year for the weekend - my brother and I would spend a night each at hers.  I carried that on until I was about 14/15 but there came I time when I wanted to be a grown-up and spend the evenings with the generation in between - my parents always stayed with their best friends - so I stopped staying as often as I did when I was younger.  I'd say that I regretted that - a year or two of wasted final evenings - but I think it was a very normal teenage reaction and I'm sure she understood that.

The six or seven hours that followed my mum's arrival home were bizarre - my dad returned home early but we left my brother in school - and what I'd hoped would be a day spent reading and watching match build-up just turned into a day where I feel like I sat alone in my room staring blankly at nothing in particular.  It must have been half-six/seven, when we eventually all sort of emerged from that day dream - we needed to eat and, as a family, we needed to get round the television and cheer on the Reds.  In some ways, watching the match together would have been cathartic regardless of the outcome, but - of course - well, we all know what followed.

Some days I can't believe it's been a whole twelve years; other days I can't believe it's only been twelve.  What I do know is that the best and worst of my 10686 days so far - at ridiculous odds - happened to fall on the same one.

It's against all my instincts and beliefs, but if one day I'm proved wrong and somehow she did have a hand in Jerzy's save... I'll not mind  ;)

Wow mate, so much in that I don't know where to begin. Thanks for sharing though, I love reading these sort of things, if you know what I mean.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: May 25, 2017, 04:57:21 pm »

What a date,  must be the best one in our history!

Oh Yes

Veinticinco de Mayo  - whatever happened to good old VdM? If you're lurking  :wave

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: May 25, 2017, 05:03:17 pm »
Rome 77 special ticket.

from the Football Special thread

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #270 on: May 25, 2017, 05:41:31 pm »
Ha Ha was just thinking about Rome 77 as i applied online for me over 60's train pass which i can get in a couple of weeks.. :duh
Will never ever be lucky enough to go on a train journey which i was honoured to be on that week..
Going to a dinner tommorow night  with the great Ray Clemence & the legend that is Joey Jones,all the great memories will come flooding back..
;D

Disappeared quick didn't it, la. I was thinking how nice the weather is today....very Rome 77 here in Liverpool.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline BeingJohnMarkovic

• Anny Roader
  • Its All In The Game
« Reply #271 on: May 25, 2017, 06:01:00 pm »
Still remember the hangover I had the day after the Istanbul game. It was totally worth it!  8)
It ain't what you takin', it's who you takin' from, ya feel me? How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #272 on: May 25, 2017, 06:13:02 pm »
Remember both vividly - in '77 I was a young pup in me 20's, in '05 an 'arl fart in me 50's...........but the celebrations were equally as wild ! Great memories.
Arriverderci Roma........

Offline Andy Hunter

• Rip Van Walford. Committed Iron Pumper! Full of hot air. Due to weighty issues, currently seeking a new hobby.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: May 25, 2017, 08:55:16 pm »
Pretty sure it was at this time the Istanbul comeback goals were being scored

Who else watches it on every anniversary?
Did Shevchenko score his rebound?
Why was there an ambulance behind the goal for Tommason's Penalty?
HOW DID GUDJOHNSEN MISS??

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #274 on: May 25, 2017, 09:05:08 pm »
I saw a short clip of dudek's penalty save against Sevchenko today..

10 seconds or so...

Massive shiver ran down my spine and tears welled in my eyes...  after all these years, it still does it, it's still fresh...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Ferg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: May 25, 2017, 10:16:26 pm »
Is the match thread still on here?
Who wouldn't want to kick someone called Ferguson?
Quote from: Rafa Benitez
A big heart has space for everyone.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #276 on: May 25, 2017, 10:20:39 pm »
Thompson banging on the glass in Istanbul. Goosebumps to this day.   :champ :champ :champ :champ :champ
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Andy Hunter

• Rip Van Walford. Committed Iron Pumper! Full of hot air. Due to weighty issues, currently seeking a new hobby.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: May 26, 2017, 12:12:29 am »
Thompson banging on the glass in Istanbul. Goosebumps to this day.   :champ :champ :champ :champ :champ

I will always remember an old man with glasses with his hand on his forehead after we equalised. That summed it up for me how everyone felt.

Maybe he's even on Rawk, or someone knows him, but it makes me smile thinking about him.

Offline Andy Hunter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: May 26, 2017, 12:14:14 am »
Yet we still don't know the answers to the first 2 questions in my sig.  :D

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #279 on: May 26, 2017, 02:12:36 am »
Yet we still don't know the answers to the first 2 questions in my sig.  :D

:)

Shevchenko did score his rebound mate - you can just about make it out on this fan video - 2m 50s in (though you'll have to be quick on the pause button to catch it):-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/FpAI-RRg0N4&amp;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/FpAI-RRg0N4&amp;</a>

or click here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpAI-RRg0N4&

^ weird that we only see the penalties from that camera angle on the tv footage - thought there may be have been more camera angles showing the pens than that, especially for a CL Final (behind the goal etc)?

As for the ambulance for Tomasson's pen? No idea mate - but it (or other ambulances) went across the bit of the ground behind the goal at the Milan end a couple of times during the game that I noticed.
« Last Edit: February 9, 2022, 03:06:55 am by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576