Author Topic: The Amazing Coutinho  (Read 112268 times)

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Amazing Coutinho
« Reply #680 on: September 1, 2013, 08:03:39 pm »
People tend to forget how young he is, and how he's played against 2 physical sides and the champions so far this year.

When he gets a bit more space and time, like he surely will against other teams, and has Suarez and Moses supporting Sturridge ahead, he'll be back to his best
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #681 on: September 1, 2013, 08:18:06 pm »
has to play more central. getting marginalised out wide

Offline Danny_

• Amnesiac_
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #682 on: September 1, 2013, 08:39:59 pm »
It seems like we bought Aspas to fill the Suarez role so won't have to change the system too much when Luis eventually makes his return (and other times he's unavailable).  That will be our main formation I think, unless Moses becomes undroppable. I'm sure there'll be a few games in which we play Coutinho no. 10 though, Suarez going to the left/right then maybe.
Aspas was playing centrally behind Sturridge today.  That's where we want to play Coutinho to get the best out of him.  We are playing him on the left right now and he's doing a good job for us but Moses plays there (if we use him) so I think the plan is to play Suarez on the right, Moses on the left and move Coutinho into the centre.
That means that both Henderson and Aspas lose their places.

Offline The Gigi

• Legacy Fan
  • Where once we watched the King Kenny play
« Reply #683 on: September 1, 2013, 08:44:23 pm »
Aspas was playing centrally behind Sturridge today.  That's where we want to play Coutinho to get the best out of him.  We are playing him on the left right now and he's doing a good job for us but Moses plays there (if we use him) so I think the plan is to play Suarez on the right, Moses on the left and move Coutinho into the centre.
That means that both Henderson and Aspas lose their places.
We won't play Moses/Sturridge/Coutinho/Suarez combo every game, that's asking for trouble IMO, Henderson will be a must in some games. But I see your point, it's nice to have options.

Offline Tomo!

• Shit post editor! Will be giving his wife one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #684 on: September 1, 2013, 08:47:53 pm »
I don't think he's going to be a nailed on starter when Luis is back and Moses comes in.
Nothing to do with his ability but more to do with his age, not saying he's going to get ditched or that he's not up to it just that young careers need nurturing correctly.
Google messi topless on holiday. Now look at david silva, villa, iniesta, xavi, they have the upper bodies of little boys.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #685 on: September 1, 2013, 09:02:58 pm »
I don't think he's going to be a nailed on starter when Luis is back and Moses comes in.
Nothing to do with his ability but more to do with his age, not saying he's going to get ditched or that he's not up to it just that young careers need nurturing correctly.

Absolutely, he is still young and we have an obligation to nurture him some senses more than with a Downing person coming in his late twenties. But as it is right now he is so vital for us, and we actually depend so much on him that I how a super hard time seeing us putting on the bench with Moses, Suarez and other person perhaps coming in. Unless we got a Mata similar experience and type of player, who would take Coutinho's place?

Henderson? Nah, love him almost but not his position, Allen no way José. Find it hard to imagine us putting our little master on the bench.

Offline Stringer123

• Kopite
« Reply #686 on: September 1, 2013, 09:07:20 pm »
I'm not going to let two average performances stop me thinking that he's a terrific player. I think that, for now at least, he's a bit of a flat track bully. He'll tear apart most teams that are 7th and below but until he gets more experienced and starts to fulfil his potential he may struggle in the bigger games.

Hopefully he gets moved into the middle soon and him, Suarez and Sturridge will run riot.

Offline Carly

• Rafa Obsessive. Wales Rugby Union fan. Defianately!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #687 on: September 1, 2013, 09:09:20 pm »
Once Suarez is back in the team he'l get more space.  At the minute teams are able to target him, they won;t be able to when they have more to deal with.  Anyway still early in the season, he'll do well against Swansea.
« Last Edit: September 1, 2013, 09:11:06 pm by karl1987 »

Offline MrLil8

• not good enough
  • Kopite
  • Super Title: BANNED
« Reply #688 on: September 1, 2013, 09:13:54 pm »
Slow start to the campaign, and not one of his better days today.

Still he works his sock off and the team wins, he'll improve as the season goes on. Suarez coming back, + additions and hopefully he gets more minutes centrally.

The lad is class, and even on bad days, you can see him creating something of note.
YNWA

Offline gloves

• Anny Roader
« Reply #689 on: September 2, 2013, 04:59:50 am »
I know it's nit-picking but is he getting a little bit worked out with his dribbles ? I don't think I remember him going any way other than right? Sturridge generally goes left obviously but we also saw him try to go the other way on occasion which helps to keep defenders on their toes?

Love his through passes but I felt our movement didn't help him too much today and Aspas had a disappointing game so that didn't help either I guess.

Offline subroc

• cut at you with a clipper? Gas Face given, I beg to differ.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #690 on: September 2, 2013, 05:39:03 am »
I'm not going to let two average performances stop me thinking that he's a terrific player. I think that, for now at least, he's a bit of a flat track bully. He'll tear apart most teams that are 7th and below but until he gets more experienced and starts to fulfil his potential he may struggle in the bigger games.

Hopefully he gets moved into the middle soon and him, Suarez and Sturridge will run riot.

It gets more difficult for him when the midfield is packed  and he gets closed down by two players or even more, and at his age, he is currently not yet physically strong enough to hold his ground and shoulder them aside. But give it another 2 seasons or so, and we will see more of the David Silva or Santi Cazorla about him.

Offline rushandapush

• Anny Roader
« Reply #691 on: September 9, 2013, 09:52:01 pm »
Check Coutinho out when he was a kid. Mad Skills
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBfQoyZ0mtQ

Offline camred

• Main Stander
« Reply #692 on: September 10, 2013, 09:52:56 am »
I hate this attitude

He’s too young, he shouldn't play.

Bollocks, if he's good enough he should be in. We don't have a player in our squad who is as creative as Coutinho, we need him to be playing week in week out.

If it's one thing we as nation should learn from the Germans, it's that if you are technically and tactically good enough to be on the pitch, then you will be.

We go on about English attitudes towards football the need for cultural change, this whole 'he's too young' reasoning is one that needs to change.

Dortmund gave Mario Gotze his debut as a 17 year old. Schalke have 17 year old Max Meyer and 18 year old Leon Goretzka getting game time this season and also gave a debut to Draxler as a 17 year old.

Age should not be a factor when considering someone’s ability to play football.

Offline Halibut-Thumb

• I apologise for my shit user name and piss-poor spelling. You know, my friends and family tell me they are surprised I couldn't think of anything better. Ah well, such is life.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • Lesbian ham?
« Reply #693 on: September 10, 2013, 10:00:36 am »
Suarez coming back surely has to enable him more space in order yo be effective.

Against Stoke he could've notched up 3 or 4 assists easily if the finishing was better/Begovic hadn't decided to be a beast.. And against Villa and United he didnt get much space when he had the ball. The fact Suarez and Sturridge (probably two of the most feared goalscorers in the league right now) are going to be on the same pitch and will draw defenders with their movement, the genius player little phil is should see him finding space to recieve the ball in and we all know how lethal he can potentially be when that happens..
In Soviet Russia, fish fingers you.

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #694 on: September 10, 2013, 10:24:44 am »
I predict he'll have 2 assists against Swansea

Offline TheVeg

• he might
  • Main Stander
« Reply #695 on: September 13, 2013, 12:01:37 pm »
Just watched a youtube video of big phil last season... wow, he was quite something wasn't he?! seems to be a bit off the pace with it this season. Can be one of many things, or a combination of them all. Does playing on the left get the best out of him, or does he need to be central? Is he being targeted due to the lack of Suarez in the team, will he improve when Suarez is back? Is it the teams we have played against, all have tried kicking him and have been fairly tight defensively, will he be better against other teams?
Only time will tell, I guess. I think it could be a mixture of all 3. He played on the left without Suarez in the team for games last season and shone. However, I think teams are more wary of him this season. Either way, I can't wait til we have an in form Sturridge, a hungry Suarez and last season's Coutinho in our attack. I think it's right up there with City/Chelsea starting forwards

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #696 on: September 13, 2013, 12:08:16 pm »
Swansea is a good game for him. The way in which Swansea attack will bring Rangel and Davies forward, giving Coutinho more space in behind them to target a runner, or exploit with his own movement. We do however, need Henderson to play, or Gerrard to play slightly more advanced than he did v Man Utd and Villa so as to draw the quietly impressive Jose Canas forward, away from Williams and Chico. This should give Coutinho that split second more on the ball to allow him to prosper.

Canas is from the Alonso school of defending; anticipation, not aggression. This means that hopefully, the tackles won't be flying in on Phil. It doesn't mean he won't be pressured, because he will. It does mean he may have a split second longer to think than he did v the more robust midfields we've played thus far. This isn't to say Coutinho is weak, just to point out that Swansea is a near-ideal game for him. If we can push Swansea back, Shelvey (as we very well know) is prone to giving away stupid set-pieces in and around the box, too.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #697 on: September 13, 2013, 12:08:18 pm »
Just watched a youtube video of big phil last season... wow, he was quite something wasn't he?! seems to be a bit off the pace with it this season. Can be one of many things, or a combination of them all. Does playing on the left get the best out of him, or does he need to be central? Is he being targeted due to the lack of Suarez in the team, will he improve when Suarez is back? Is it the teams we have played against, all have tried kicking him and have been fairly tight defensively, will he be better against other teams?
Only time will tell, I guess. I think it could be a mixture of all 3. He played on the left without Suarez in the team for games last season and shone. However, I think teams are more wary of him this season. Either way, I can't wait til we have an in form Sturridge, a hungry Suarez and last season's Coutinho in our attack. I think it's right up there with City/Chelsea starting forwards
He's getting man marked and kicked to shit, but that's ok we'll have Suarez back soon which means more space for Coutinho to explore. I thought he did very well when he came on in the league cup, set up Sturridge and ran his marker ragged.
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #698 on: September 13, 2013, 12:09:11 pm »
I predict he'll have 2 assists against Swansea

It's going to be pretty hard to achieve that as we are scoring only one goal.  ;D

Offline xx

• Anny Roader
« Reply #699 on: September 13, 2013, 12:11:29 pm »
And there's still those that think Suarez shouldn't be back in the team. Suarez will help Coutinho so much. Does anyone honestly think Aspas attracts the same amount of attention as Suarez. Once Suarez is on the pitch alongside Sturridge and Coutinho, Coutinho will have so much more room to work in.

Anyway, theres nothing wrong with Coutinho this season. He doesn't even NEED Suarez but Suarez would help alot as it would for any player of any team. End of last season proved that. However, i think the below amazing Coutinho performances are due to us not playing much more than a half each game and spending the second half defending.

As the season goes on, we will get better and play more football. But this early season is good for the team and Coutinho as both will learn how to win games and be solid.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #700 on: September 13, 2013, 12:45:14 pm »
I think in the last two matches our approach will definitely have affected his ability to set up chances.  He still did play an important role and looked a threat.  Loved how he danced around Giggs before being clattered.  Takes the challenge well also.  Nice to see from someone so young because you'd normally expect a reaction, either at the time or afterwards in his approach to receiving the ball.  But Coutinho generally keeps going.  Suarez returning will definitely help with the quick interplay.

Offline Fauxy

• Legacy Fan
  • Oh na na, whats my name? Rihanna. Get in the van.
« Reply #701 on: September 14, 2013, 09:59:32 am »
Teams have clocked on to Coutinho's ability after seeing him wreck sides with his passing and clever touches last season, and he's getting really tightly marked now.

I noticed it most against Aston Villa.. the moment the ball was passed to him there was always a villa player already running at him like a steam train. Obviously this will make things harder for him but he's still doing well, and his presence on the pitch alone will create gaps for our other attacking players and tire opposing players that have to constantly close him down.

Gonna be so interesting to see what happens when Suarez is back in the side.

Follow me on twitter!

http://twitter.com/Benfauxy