Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 621016 times)

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #11200 on: April 23, 2024, 10:34:22 pm »
Trust me, I agree with you. Very worried that their nerds and their data-driven approach is going to royally fuck us. And why is 'being close to Klopp' the data criteria anyway? Be bold and go for a new style rather than what can only be a pale imitation.
Interesting that a month ago, when Xabi was odds-on favourite, the club were briefing they were absolutely not looking for a "Klopp-lite" yet here we are, with the "close stylistic fit" giving us Slot of Feyenoord.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11201 on: April 23, 2024, 10:34:28 pm »
You realise we’ve been a data driven approach since Klopps entire tenure right?

We've been it from the day FSG walked through the door and hired Damien Comolli and shite like Charlie Adam and Andy Carroll.

Literally everybody in the world said hire Klopp and he's performed miracles for close to a decade. Remember the internet going mad over Zorc? Common denominator is Klopp. The nerds in the corridors are just incidental to it all.

Offline johnny74

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11202 on: April 23, 2024, 10:34:34 pm »
I have a real and possibly irrational dislike of Dutch managers and Dutch football. So from Klopp to this does not seem very appealing.

I guess this will be our post-Fergie Moyes. The fall guy.

He's desperate for the PL and has said so. This is a dream job for him. But he has no qualifications for managing at that level. The PL would have tested Alonso and Amorim and will be entirely unforgiving of this guy.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11203 on: April 23, 2024, 10:35:21 pm »
Jesus he’s not even appointed yet, the team didn’t just turn shit overnight.

I honestly think you’ll be in for a shock if you don’t get what a fall off we will have after Klopp. All you need to do is look at anyone from Wini to Mane to Countinho to see how Klopp elevates players to levels above their previous. We just have to hope this Slot gamble of epic proportions will pay off.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11204 on: April 23, 2024, 10:36:09 pm »
None of these managers comes with any guarantees it's just some of are trying to stay calmer then those hyping up their personal favourites.
Think it's safe to say Arne Slot is nobody's "personal favourite" ;D
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Higgins79

• Legacy Fan
  • return of the king
« Reply #11205 on: April 23, 2024, 10:36:19 pm »
Jesus, the absolute state of this thread.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11206 on: April 23, 2024, 10:36:56 pm »
I have a real and possibly irrational dislike of Dutch managers and Dutch football. So from Klopp to this does not seem very appealing.

Total Football has been praised and spread over the world since the 60's and been sucessful but go off.  ::)

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11207 on: April 23, 2024, 10:37:12 pm »
I honestly think you’ll be in for a shock if you don’t get what a fall off we will have after Klopp. All you need to do is look at anyone from Wini to Mane to Countinho to see how Klopp elevates players to levels above their previous. We just have to hope this Slot gamble of epic proportions will pay off.

Why stress it? Klopp is leaving, his choice, I can’t change that but Liverpool will continue to exist after he has gone, so I’d rather be positive about the change.

Offline DarkOfTheManatee

• Anny Roader
« Reply #11208 on: April 23, 2024, 10:38:09 pm »
Trust me, I agree with you. Very worried that their nerds and their data-driven approach is going to royally fuck us. And why is 'being close to Klopp' the data criteria anyway? Be bold and go for a new style rather than what can only be a pale imitation.

I thought we were using 'nerds' to describe Edwards and co. in a tongue-in-cheek way, but the term is actually now being used like it's a genuine problem have data-savvy people running the club.

As though it hasn't been fundamental to our success during the Klopp tenure, and instead there's some sort of coup where the 'real football men' are being usurped by snivelling know-it-alls who don't actually bother watching football.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #11209 on: April 23, 2024, 10:38:13 pm »
Slot won it in a year Ajax went to shit, he only won it once and in a two horse race. Steve Mclaren done an arguably better job winning with Twente against a strong Ajax that year. Feyenoord also had not gone twenty years without winning like Sporting. Amorim has since then also gone onto (likely) win the league again, proving it was not just a fluke and that he has serious talent and the first Sporting manager to do that since the 60’s.

There is no comparison for me and as flabbergasted are you are in seeing differently I am too in how so many seem to rank Slot so highly suddenly when he has been linked to us.

If Feyenoord win their last four in the league, they'll end up on a better points tally than they did when they win it. That's how good PSV have been this season, it's relative to how other teams do. People can debate all day about what Amorim/Slot have done but it all looks remarkably similar to me. You can play devils advocate to everything. Amorim's first title win was behind closed doors, that isn't real football, to me it isn't anyway. To some it won't matter at all.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #11210 on: April 23, 2024, 10:38:15 pm »
Why can Arsenal spend more than we do?

Remind me, what have Arsenal won for all this money they've spent?
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11211 on: April 23, 2024, 10:38:16 pm »
From Melissa Reddy’s tweet it looks like it’s going to be Slot. Pretty underwhelming choice if true, doesn’t scream world class or elite to me. Clearly was the third choice after Xabi and Amorim.

Last time I was so underwhelmed was when we appointed Hodgson.

Second choice to Alonso, sure. But Amorim? I really don’t think we’d have struggled to get him if we wanted. The lad was on a flight chartered by West Ham yesterday, I’m not buying that we couldn’t convince him to take the Liverpool job. Much more believable to me that they just fancied Slot more.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11212 on: April 23, 2024, 10:39:00 pm »
It appears his achievement at Feyenoord was just as great as Amorim's at Lisbon in terms of the scale of opposition he was facing

But Amorim is the sexy choice (even when he wasn't a few weeks ago) so there's piss and vinegar

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11213 on: April 23, 2024, 10:40:32 pm »
Second choice to Alonso, sure. But Amorim? I really don’t think we’d have struggled to get him if we wanted. The lad was on a flight chartered by West Ham yesterday, I’m not buying that we couldn’t convince him to take the Liverpool job. Much more believable to me that they just fancied Slot more.

But if you believe that you can't piss the bed about missing out on Amorim

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #11214 on: April 23, 2024, 10:40:35 pm »
Aye, she's taken over that fat man's empire.

Did he die or was that a rumour? Can’t even remember now!

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11215 on: April 23, 2024, 10:40:48 pm »
Just pissed off there's no better alternatives out there at the moment but no idea why people think Amorim is miles ahead of Slot in any departments because he's not, both have done well in similar circumstances which is at 3rd best teams in leagues that are on a level par with each other, and doing it without spending much.

Can only put it down to hair vs no hair???

I think Slot could prove a lot of people wrong in here, mind you I thought that about Rodgers ffs 😂

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11216 on: April 23, 2024, 10:41:05 pm »
Arne Slot believes that more defensive football – as espoused by Jose Mourinho – is not only more tiring but less stimulating for the players. He argues they cannot improve by primarily thinking about defending.

[@JBurtTelegraph]

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11217 on: April 23, 2024, 10:41:47 pm »

He's six feet under mate. She was his apprentice for while, hence taking over the business.

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #11218 on: April 23, 2024, 10:42:01 pm »
It appears his achievement at Feyenoord was just as great as Amorim's at Lisbon in terms of the scale of opposition he was facing

But Amorim is the sexy choice (even when he wasn't a few weeks ago) so there's piss and vinegar

Slot should have won the league with another club also if it wasn't for covid closing the league down

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11219 on: April 23, 2024, 10:42:10 pm »

To be fair the Dutch league is pretty bad. Its worse than the Portuguese league.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11220 on: April 23, 2024, 10:42:21 pm »
None of these managers comes with any guarantees it's just some of are trying to stay calmer then those hyping up their personal favourites.

You’re right non of them do, but some come with far less risk that others and far more proven qualities than others.

I don’t have any favourites personally and soon as Slot plays his first game I’ll be behind him but I’m not going to lie and pretend this is not the most underwhelming appointment and biggest gamble since the one that shall not be named. That’s just my opinion though and clearly others think Slot is more than capable, talented and skilled to take over from Klopp, that’s fair enough, I’m just not in that same camp.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11221 on: April 23, 2024, 10:42:24 pm »
I could easily be wrong but A. Think people are kidding themselves if they think this is some ploy to convince Amorim to change demands and B. How much has anyone here seen either of their two respective sides to be so convinced of... well, anything!

Opinions are one thing but so much is being stated with so much conviction and barely anyone watched eithers of these sides on an even semi-regular basis to know much about them at all

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11222 on: April 23, 2024, 10:42:30 pm »
We've been it from the day FSG walked through the door and hired Damien Comolli and shite like Charlie Adam and Andy Carroll.
Actually Downing was the nerd's choice with all his crossing stats. Carroll was Comolli's panic impulse purchase like a bag of overpriced sweets at the checkout. Adam was just a rare lack of judgment on Kenny's part.

The nerds in the corridors are just incidental to it all.
Unfortunately not. FSG love a nerd, going all the way back to Billy Beane and Theo Epstein. And while he was in Boston at that nerd conference, they just made Laptop Eddie an offer he couldn't refuse to run the whole show.

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #11223 on: April 23, 2024, 10:42:57 pm »

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11224 on: April 23, 2024, 10:43:45 pm »

Well, I am not panicking and I feel completely calm about it. I hope he proves everybody wrong on these embarrassing thread. Whoever had the task of following Klopp would have the same issues regardless. There are no mega managers out there despite all the hyping that people have done.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11225 on: April 23, 2024, 10:43:49 pm »
To be fair the Dutch league is pretty bad. Its worse than the Portuguese league.
And their traditionally strongest team - Ajax - have just had the worst 2 seasons of their existence.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11226 on: April 23, 2024, 10:44:06 pm »
Slot should have won the league with another club also if it wasn't for covid closing the league down

Joint top with fucking AZ Alkmaar at the cancellation of the league and 9 games to go

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11227 on: April 23, 2024, 10:44:43 pm »
If Feyenoord win their last four in the league, they'll end up on a better points tally than they did when they win it. That's how good PSV have been this season, it's relative to how other teams do. People can debate all day about what Amorim/Slot have done but it all looks remarkably similar to me. You can play devils advocate to everything. Amorim's first title win was behind closed doors, that isn't real football, to me it isn't anyway. To some it won't matter at all.

Yeah I wanted Rubes but baffled at this talk one is seemingly light years ahead of the other, can make a case for either really. Quite excited by this, new manager, hopefully at least 3 new signings and we give it a go! I’d jib football entirely if I had the mindset of some in here, be arsed following it just to be permanently miserable.

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #11228 on: April 23, 2024, 10:45:20 pm »

He died, said he didn't die and then actually died. So yes, he's very much dead now.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11229 on: April 23, 2024, 10:45:47 pm »
Well, I am not panicking and I feel completely calm about it. I hope he proves everybody wrong on these embarrassing thread. Whoever had the task of following Klopp would have the same issues regardless. There are no mega managers out there despite all the hyping that people have done.
There's a spectrum between panic and being calm though. Concern, apprehension, etc. Not sure how you can say you're fine and dandy with this rather strange appointment unless you're one of those "trust in FSG/Edwards as they brought in Klopp" types.

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11230 on: April 23, 2024, 10:48:26 pm »
Joint top with fucking AZ Alkmaar at the cancellation of the league and 9 games to go

Steve McClaren won it with Twente.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11231 on: April 23, 2024, 10:48:26 pm »
Why stress it? Klopp is leaving, his choice, I can’t change that but Liverpool will continue to exist after he has gone, so I’d rather be positive about the change.

I will be too mate eventually but can’t hide my disappointment right now. If you told me in December Klopp was going and some guy called Slot was taking over I’d have laughed my head off.

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11232 on: April 23, 2024, 10:50:23 pm »
So Slot likes his players to press more than Klopp did? Our medical department just collectively shit themselves.

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11233 on: April 23, 2024, 10:50:31 pm »
I will be too mate eventually but can’t hide my disappointment right now. If you told me in December Klopp was going and some guy called Slot was taking over I’d have laughed my head off.
Anyone who isn't is lying to themselves, plain and simple

Offline traustibm

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #11234 on: April 23, 2024, 10:50:31 pm »
Remind me, what have Arsenal won for all this money they've spent?

Without Klopp, I see us at a similar place as before, when the same data driven policies were a priority. I hope to see myself wrong, and that this policy will work with the next manager. We’ll see, but it for sure didn’t work before we got Klopp. Klopp made miracles in Dortmund as well on a low budget. The problem I see is that we shouldn’t behave like outsiders. It reduces the whole aura, attraction and prestige of the club to act like that.
“I can't watch TV longer than five minutes without praying for nuclear holocaust.”
― Bill Hicks

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11235 on: April 23, 2024, 10:50:59 pm »
There's a spectrum between panic and being calm though. Concern, apprehension, etc. Not sure how you can say you're fine and dandy with this rather strange appointment unless you're one of those "trust in FSG/Edwards as they brought in Klopp" types.

I'm not a type of anything I have a mind of my own thanks, therefore I don't need to be in any group to have an opinion of my own. I am certainly not in the nerd's group either but I am guessing they had more information than any of us did. So I will give him a chance.

Offline alvaro

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11236 on: April 23, 2024, 10:51:15 pm »
This is underwhelming to say the least. The club has known since november that Klopp is leaving and we end up with a manager unproven in a big league?  Sorry but he has way less CV than Benitez or Klopp  had when they arrived. Slot is a massive massive risk. We may hit the jackpot with him (pun intended) but we should be doing better.

The other problem with somebody with no record is that we cant afford to give him a second season if he finishes 5th or something. Its different when Rodgers took over. We were midtable back then so he had leeway. The new manager is taking over a title contending team, he has to be plug and play.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11237 on: April 23, 2024, 10:52:43 pm »
I'd love to know from the fellas who are taking the piss out of data and analytics driven teams such as us think which top tier club in 2024 isn;t data driven and hasn't got a Sporting Director?  ;D

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11238 on: April 23, 2024, 10:53:21 pm »
He's six feet under mate. She was his apprentice for while, hence taking over the business.
She gave an interview saying on the actual day he died (lung cancer) within hours, all his agency's players got calls from other agents.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #11239 on: April 23, 2024, 10:54:56 pm »

He's turning into mine in response to the utter level of dickishness in this thread.