Author Topic: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *  (Read 2894809 times)

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
Re: Mohamed Salah - African Player of the Year 2017
« Reply #3400 on: March 18, 2018, 09:02:50 pm »
Comparisons to Messi and Suarez are widespread but for me he looks like the re-incarnation of George Best. He even looks a little like him - Best was more more two footed admittedly but that third goal yesterday was so like something Best would have done.

Best is a decent comparison, but he was more a pure winger. For me, Salah is a carbon copy of Thierry Henry - a winger who plays as a striker, playing as a winger. Best was more of a dribbler, whereas Henry and Salah could dribble, but their speed and agility absolutely slaughter any defender who isn't mentally switched on. Which - for me - makes Firmino the "Bergkamp" - dropping off the front, collecting it, flicking it on, scoring wonder goals.

Which means that Keita is going to be the Viera ;D
Better looking than Samie.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3401 on: March 18, 2018, 09:09:31 pm »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #3402 on: March 18, 2018, 09:24:56 pm »
Best is a decent comparison, but he was more a pure winger. For me, Salah is a carbon copy of Thierry Henry - a winger who plays as a striker, playing as a winger. Best was more of a dribbler, whereas Henry and Salah could dribble, but their speed and agility absolutely slaughter any defender who isn't mentally switched on. Which - for me - makes Firmino the "Bergkamp" - dropping off the front, collecting it, flicking it on, scoring wonder goals.

Which means that Keita is going to be the Viera ;D

Best was much more than a winger POP. But he wasn't  always as direct as either Salah or Henry.- I acknowledge that. In fact I posted this earlier in the season.

Salah reminds me of George Best. Don't get me wrong he's not as good as George and he is much more direct than Best was but when Best was direct, which he often was, Salah is exactly like him.

His balance and the drop of the shoulder also reminds me of Best. Neither were particularly small men, both 5 ft 9, and actually tog (ged) out taller if anything, but they seem to have/had remarkable balance and the ability to get shots away when most would be sitting on their backside.

Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3403 on: March 18, 2018, 09:46:20 pm »
Best was much more than a winger POP. But he wasn't  always as direct as either Salah or Henry.- I acknowledge that. In fact I posted this earlier in the season.

His balance and the drop of the shoulder also reminds me of Best. Neither were particularly small men, both 5 ft 9, and actually tog (ged) out taller if anything, but they seem to have/had remarkable balance and the ability to get shots away when most would be sitting on their backside.

Yeah Best's balance was phenomenal. Which is ironic :)

I had a mate who played against him in a friendly once. He said you could smell the drink off him from yards away. But you couldn't get the ball off him, even then.

I know he played for them, but still - what a player.

The thing that puts Salah more in line with Henry than Best for me is that Best was also a good crosser of the ball (to Dennis Law). Apart from yesterday, I don't know if crossing is a big part of Salah's game?

Having said that, I'm certainly not against Salah being favourably compared to one of the best players the British Isles has ever produced (if not THE best?)

Offline terry_macss_perm

• looking to be flogged
  • Kopite
« Reply #3404 on: March 18, 2018, 10:29:44 pm »
It’s difficult comparing players from different eras.

Best was brilliant but played at a time when 99.9% of First Division players were British and Irish.

You would suspect that if those lads were young men today then two thirds of them would be in the Championship. So the overall standard was significantly lower.

Having said that, Best and others from that era played with old fashioned footballs on surfaces that often resembled ploughed fields against defenders who could get away with GBH before the ref would consider a booking.

So in other ways it’s easier for modern attackers to look good.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3405 on: March 18, 2018, 10:40:52 pm »

Best was brilliant but played at a time when 99.9% of First Division players were British and Irish.

You would suspect that if those lads were young men today then two thirds of them would be in the Championship. So the overall standard was significantly lower.

Having said that, Best and others from that era played with old fashioned footballs on surfaces that often resembled ploughed fields against defenders who could get away with GBH before the ref would consider a booking.

So in other ways it’s easier for modern attackers to look good.

Don't think that matters when he was in a United team that also dominated Europe, and also around the same time England won their only World Cup.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3406 on: March 18, 2018, 10:46:45 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/RIdSUXaimWs&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/RIdSUXaimWs&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #3407 on: March 18, 2018, 10:58:58 pm »

You tell the Grandchildren that Sanchez is shite and Salah is fuckin' boss.

Use those exact words.
We are Liverpool!

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #3408 on: March 18, 2018, 11:13:06 pm »

Then he played against Benfica and the best in Europe and made them look..what? League 2 level?

Best was brilliant.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3409 on: March 18, 2018, 11:38:57 pm »
Watch the 68 European cup final, Best and Eusebio lighting up a match and trying not to be kicked off the park by the likes of gud old Nobby Stiles who just kicks anything that moves. Watched Best at his prime and his grace his balance his skill  and tenacity were obvious even though he rarely played well at anfield. Sometimes players are so good they look from a different era, superb to watch even as a Man Utd player
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #3410 on: March 18, 2018, 11:54:38 pm »
Got to come in on this one, seeing as Bestie was the best I ever saw by a distance [yeah Kenny and Luis included].

;D

After Mo's first half dozen games I was telling anyone who cared to listen how much he reminded me of Bestie - albeit still a fair way to go before he can be said to have reached the Bestie level of genius.

I guess the the most succinct way I can sum up the parallel based on Mo's performances this season is that both were ostensibly wingers who were nothing really like the orthodox definition of a winger but instead knew instinctively that the object of the entire fucking thing is to get the ball in the onion bag asap whether on their own or by helping their teammates.   

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #3411 on: March 19, 2018, 12:16:46 am »

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #3412 on: March 19, 2018, 12:18:50 am »

It’s hard to compare players in different eras.

As you said, Best was not a winger. At times he was a deep lying midfielder who would go on long mazy runs. Salah plays further forwards.

Both have/had amazing skill and balance. Both are hard to knock off the ball and both can score just as you think they are surrounded. On his day, Best didn’t need help from his team-mates as he was quite capable of beating 5 or 6 players and then scoring.

Best played at a remarkably high level for many years and Salah would need to stay at his current level for at least another 5 years to be comparable.
#JFT97

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3413 on: March 19, 2018, 01:13:05 am »
Watch the 68 European cup final, Best and Eusebio lighting up a match and trying not to be kicked off the park by the likes of gud old Nobby Stiles who just kicks anything that moves. Watched Best at his prime and his grace his balance his skill  and tenacity were obvious even though he rarely played well at anfield. Sometimes players are so good they look from a different era, superb to watch even as a Man Utd player

Including George Best... ;D

Offline El Ninos Black Eye

• Legacy Fan
  • What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
« Reply #3414 on: March 19, 2018, 08:25:31 am »
Just been working it out with my 11 year old (as he’s a statto) and there is only 4 teams he hasn’t scored against in the league this season, the record is 17 teams. He can still get 18 if he scores against Palace, West Brom and Brighton. If he did this the only team he wouldn’t have score against is United
"I'm being watched by the Secret Police and wondering when they’re going to come and take me away"

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3415 on: March 19, 2018, 08:32:02 am »
So you're saying you're gagging to see him topless?

I want to see his nipples.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline an fear dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3416 on: March 19, 2018, 08:35:02 am »
Just been working it out with my 11 year old (as he’s a statto) and there is only 4 teams he hasn’t scored against in the league this season, the record is 17 teams. He can still get 18 if he scores against Palace, West Brom and Brighton. If he did this the only team he wouldn’t have score against is United

He can complete the lot in the CL final....oh wait....

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3417 on: March 19, 2018, 08:58:13 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/RIdSUXaimWs&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/RIdSUXaimWs&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

I'm going to wait till the end of the season to watch something like this. His target has to be mid 40s now. We have minimum of 9 games left.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3418 on: March 19, 2018, 09:48:46 am »
I want to see his nipples.

;D Ha ha !
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #3419 on: March 19, 2018, 09:50:27 am »
Drone pic of Stanley park today..

Shouldn't the Sphinx be placed where that wooden shed is?

Offline [streety]

• Craig Davis killed the thread
  • Legacy Fan
    • Coming Soon...
« Reply #3420 on: March 19, 2018, 09:51:45 am »
Well I was happy that he scored four on Saturday. Not sure my 2yo feels the same.
https://youtu.be/ATNVzKgAm6g

Online jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #3421 on: March 19, 2018, 10:23:43 am »
His numbers are even more crazy since there are no penalties or set pieces, and no distance shooting. It's all in the box. You can see what he's up to before it happens, but he's just too good. The quickness when he changes direction with the ball is just insane, and reminds me a lot of Maradona. His center of gravity must be inches above the pitch.
Then he has Messi's ability to shoot with surgical precision. He's not at their level, but the style is very similar.

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3422 on: March 19, 2018, 10:28:13 am »
His numbers are even more crazy since there are no penalties or set pieces, and no distance shooting. It's all in the box. You can see what he's up to before it happens, but he's just too good. The quickness when he changes direction with the ball is just insane, and reminds me a lot of Maradona. His center of gravity must be inches above the pitch.
Then he has Messi's ability to shoot with surgical precision. He's not at their level, but the style is very similar.

Some pens

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3423 on: March 19, 2018, 10:30:17 am »
Not sure if it's been mentioned but if he gets seven in the last eight games salah breaks the all-time premier league goal scoring record for a season. He's already four off the all-time 38-game record.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3424 on: March 19, 2018, 11:34:24 am »
Not sure if it's been mentioned but if he gets seven in the last eight games salah breaks the all-time premier league goal scoring record for a season. He's already four off the all-time 38-game record.

Good discussion on it at https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=329943.320

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #3425 on: March 19, 2018, 12:27:59 pm »
Comparisons to Messi and Suarez are widespread but for me he looks like the re-incarnation of George Best. He even looks a little like him - Best was more more two footed admittedly but that third goal yesterday was so like something Best would have done.

And incredibly, I read in the Times today Cascarino said he was like "Kevin Keagan but with more technical ability".

With these sorts of comparisons, we all have to absolutely delighted with Mo. He's a superstar, champagne supernova.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3426 on: March 19, 2018, 12:30:16 pm »
Bloody hell though, we paid £30m with £4m in add ons, and the way he so nonchalantly knocks them in, we can kiss that bloody £4m goodbye now.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline deadsetred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3427 on: March 19, 2018, 12:36:35 pm »
Can you imagine if someone from the future travelled back in time and showed you this before the season?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3KM8CpkAj4

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3428 on: March 19, 2018, 12:49:55 pm »

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #3429 on: March 19, 2018, 12:54:31 pm »

....and De Bruyne still appears a shoe in for player of the year. Surely Salah is now the favourite or is voting finished in November or something daft ?
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3430 on: March 19, 2018, 01:16:06 pm »
Can you imagine if someone from the future travelled back in time and showed you this before the season?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3KM8CpkAj4

I have seen the future and there will be a LFC-Solanke 40 Goals in 2018-19 season same time next year.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3431 on: March 19, 2018, 02:09:16 pm »
When was the last time an African player won the Player of The Year or Golden Boot awards?

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #3432 on: March 19, 2018, 02:13:50 pm »
You have to go weah back.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #3433 on: March 19, 2018, 02:27:49 pm »
When was the last time an African player won the Player of The Year or Golden Boot awards?
Drogba?
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #3434 on: March 19, 2018, 02:33:25 pm »
I'm starting to feel bad for Roma. We absolutely fucking rinsed them.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3435 on: March 19, 2018, 04:16:40 pm »
We have essentially paid them 1 million for every goal scored.

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3436 on: March 19, 2018, 04:22:56 pm »

Don't be, feel sorry for us - if we wanted to sign their Brazilian goal-keeper next.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3437 on: March 19, 2018, 04:28:07 pm »

He wouldn't be this great if he stayed.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3438 on: March 19, 2018, 05:02:31 pm »
Probably been mentioned, but he's scored one more goal than Messi this season despite ~70 fewer shots.

That's ridiculous.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #3439 on: March 19, 2018, 05:26:23 pm »
Get tight, and he'll beat you with skill. Give him space, and he'll beat you with speed.

Either way, if you're a defender, you're basically fucked  ;D

Absolutely love everything about him - plays with a smile, a joy to watch, hardworking, a real team player, and very humble. The Messi comparisons are not just about the goals.

I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.