Author Topic: Team Analysis: Jürgen Klopp’s Liverpool Tactics (*)  (Read 926879 times)

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Team Analysis: Jürgen Klopp’s Liverpool Tactics (*)
« Reply #8360 on: May 8, 2018, 11:36:55 pm »
This is a bit of a myth with klopp though isn't it if you're talking about bringing actual youngsters through?

I think people see him doing what he does with the youngest squad in the league and rightly conclude that he gives youth a chance but wrongly conclude that those younger players came from within the system rather than being bought in.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #8361 on: May 9, 2018, 12:35:34 am »
Saw this and it made me laugh hard

Whatever I said, whatever I did, I didn't mean it; I just want Buvac for good.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #8362 on: May 9, 2018, 04:58:39 am »
The below isn't opinion, it is just statements being made on the basis of looking purely at goals conceded data when on the pitch. Rank in terms of goals conceded in brackets. I don't believe too much should be read into any one piece of data. For example - players who come off the bench a lot towards of the end of games where we concede will see a huge impact on their numbers. So I am not surprised regular subs like Moreno, Milner & Chamberlain score worst here. Likewise, anybody who avoided playing in teh spurs and man city loses will be spared a big hit in their numbers.

1. Our best keeper is Karius (1)
2. Our best back 4 is: Gomez (9) - VVD (6) - Klavan (3) - Robertson (2)
3. Our best midfield 3 is: Gini (5) - Hendo (7) - Can (13)
4. Our best only forward 3 is: Mane (4) - Salah (8) - Firmino (11)

Subs: Migs (16), Lovren (9), Matip (14), Trent (12), Moreno (18), Milner (15), Chamberlain (17)

What might that suggest?
1. Karius instead of Migs makes a huge difference.
2. Robertson instead of Moreno makes a huge difference.
3. VVD instead of Matip makes a huge difference.
4. We suffer when either Gini or Hendo is out.
5. Klavan deserves the new contract he is reportedly being offered. He has the best goals against record of all center backs and has the best on the ball numbers of them all too. Although clearly has some weaknesses to his game (Aerial numbers), his strengths massively outweigh his weaknesses.

Now for the mind fuck part of it. Moreno keeps more clean sheets per 90 than Robertson. Work that one out!!!

Again - probably a result of Moreno playing in several high scoring games like Man City, Spurs, Watford.

Digging into these a bit more.
1. We very rarely concede from outside the box when Gini, Hendo or Karius plays (midfield pressure on the ball? It is something people were critical of Can in the past (e.g. Wanyama) and Milner recently (Nainggolan).
2. We concede most from outside the box when Klavan, Can, Trent, Milner & Migs play. (weird to see Klavan as having the best goals against record but the worst from outside the box. Poor defensive headers? Doesn't close people down?)
3. Gini & Hendo block the least shots of our central midfielders - good positioning rather closing down then?
4. Klavan blocks almost half as many shots as our other center backs - the above makes some sense now.

Okay one last one that I think you may like - who is our most effective corner taker?
Firmino (1 Corner, 1 Key Pass) 100%
Trent (9 Corner, 3 Key Pass) 33%
Moreno (3 Corner, 1 Key Pass) 33%
Henderson (5 Corner, 1 Key Pass) 20%
Chamberlain (32 Corners, 5 Key Passes) 16%
Salah (57 Crosses, 7 Key Passes) 12,3%
Milner (60 Crosses, 7 Key Passes) 11,7%

So it seems Firmino took one, created a chance, then quit while he was ahead :D

I think the eye test here rings true. Many have commented this season that Chamberlain and Trent put in the best corners. The others at the top are just low sample size and can be ignored. Trent numbers should also have a pinch of salt with them for that reason but his crossing technique is outrageous so I suspect he will keep better numbers than most.
« Last Edit: May 9, 2018, 05:44:22 am by BabuYagu »
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8363 on: May 9, 2018, 07:53:49 am »
Needs a tidy.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #8364 on: May 9, 2018, 01:10:50 pm »
Yeah but I have photographic evidence of him actually signing something ;D

And here's a picture of a Fekir signing: