Author Topic: How Intelligent Are Other Animals?  (Read 101728 times)

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
Re: How Intelligent Are Other Animals?
« Reply #320 on: November 7, 2014, 12:04:54 pm »
If we accept that some animals are self aware (which some may define as conscious of their mortality) and some are not.....at what point does this cross over occur?

I'd never be able to kill a mammal without remorse but knowing that some animals "feel" can I still feel good about killing spiders and can Sian still feel ambivalent about killing molluscs?

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #321 on: November 18, 2014, 10:51:16 am »

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #322 on: November 18, 2014, 11:06:13 am »
This isn't a joke...

Seals discovered having sex with penguins
Well you know how it is. There you are on some paradise island, a young hot blooded male. Then you see some exotic bird. First of all you think you have nothing in common and then............
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #324 on: December 13, 2014, 09:33:15 pm »

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #325 on: December 19, 2014, 04:22:50 pm »
Crows are smarter than you think: Crows join humans, apes and monkeys in exhibiting advanced rational thinking

Date: December 18, 2014
Source: University of Iowa
Summary: Crows have the brain power to solve higher-order, relational-matching tasks, and they can do so spontaneously, according to new research. That means crows join humans, apes and monkeys in exhibiting advanced relational thinking, according to the research.

Full article

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #326 on: December 19, 2014, 04:56:09 pm »
I once had a full conversation with a camel.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #327 on: December 19, 2014, 04:56:38 pm »
I once had a full conversation with a camel.

You Bastard?

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #328 on: December 23, 2014, 11:58:24 am »
Do animals have morals and show empathy?

This week, two videos have supposedly shown the astonishing empathy of animals: creatures rushing to help their fellow species in their hour of need.

One video from India shows a monkey seemingly saving the life of another primate after it was hurt on a railway line. The monkey was electrocuted and fell unconscious on to the tracks. Its fellow primate seems to attempt to resuscitate the animal by repeatedly biting, hitting and dunking him in water.

A second video showed a dog that had been fatally wounded on a motorway in Istanbul. Another dog can be seen standing over the body and begin to push the canine corpse toward the side of the road. The dog can clearly be seen experiencing a large amount of distress at the scene.

Furthermore, these videos showcasing apparent human emotions in animals have emerged at the same time that a court in Argentina granted orangutans the status of "non-human persons" with legal rights. The decision has cleared the way for Sandra, a shy 29-year-old, to be freed from Buenos Aires Zoo after spending her entire life in captivity.

The crucial question is whether these recent videos provide proof of genuine depictions of animals showing empathy and concern for their fellow species or merely examples of humans forcing our own feelings and concepts onto animal behaviour?

The Independent spoke to Dr Frans de Waal from Emory University to discuss the two intriguing videos. De Waal is a renown biologist and primatologist who studies the behaviour and social intelligence of primates. You can watch his TED talk on "Moral behaviour in animals" here.

De Waal says animal empathy is underestimated: "There is increasing evidence, mostly in mammals but also in birds, that animals are sensitive to the emotions of others and react to distress in others by attempts to ameliorate their situation or rescue them. There are experiments showing the same, so these videos are to be taken seriously as illustrations of this tendency."

De Waal found both recent videos "remarkable" and that the footage of the dog in Turkey reminded him of a similar occurrence in Chile a few years back when another dog retrieved a dead canine from the motorway. Waal said both these videos displayed "a retrieval response that is also shown by maternal mammals when one of their young is left alone or in distress. Females pick up the young with their mouth and carry them back to the nest. Here shown by one dog to another apparently hit by a car."

Regarding the monkey video, de Waal found the footage to be more complex because he has seen far fewer examples of such behaviour during his long career.

He said that there have been examples of chimpanzees reacting to the sudden death of another by trying to revive the creature: dragging or slamming a corpse, an attempt at "reanimation"."But mostly, chimpanzees react with silence and staring to the death of others," he said.

Regarding the video in India, de Waal identifies the monkeys as rhesus macques. "The biting is not as bad as it may seem to people, because he doesn't use his canine teeth and also doesn't seem to make injuries (something macaques can do very easily). It is inhibited biting. These rough behaviors alternate with cursory grooming, showing his ambivalence. He threatens the public in between, and it is obvious that if people had tried to intervene, the male would have defended his buddy.

"All in all a spectacular reanimation of a companion".

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #329 on: December 25, 2014, 03:09:00 pm »
Some animals look really intelligent! But not cats there thick as shit. Well my cat is anyway.
Cats. Live rent free in a nice house (while its human pet is out working), get fed by the human and go out shagging every night, whilst Human sleeps to be fresh for work next day.

Draw your own conclusions about who is the thick one.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline viteslesrouges

• Legacy Fan
  • Games : 535. Won : 308. Drawn : 131. Lost : 96
« Reply #330 on: December 27, 2014, 12:36:49 pm »
http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2014/dec/22/monkey-saves-dying-friend-train-station-india-video?CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

"A monkey at Kanpur train station in India saves the life of another monkey who had fallen unconscious on the tracks after being electrocuted by walking on wires above. The first monkey rubs, hits and bites him, then dips him in water. After more than 20 minutes the electrocuted monkey shows signs of life"

Can anyone embed the video?

You made me forget myself, I thought I was someone else, someone good.

Offline evie

• "Might have to think about it for a bit, k? No! That's not what I meant! Damn....." Prefers to hold it in.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hero
« Reply #331 on: December 27, 2014, 02:01:58 pm »
http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2014/dec/22/monkey-saves-dying-friend-train-station-india-video?CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

"A monkey at Kanpur train station in India saves the life of another monkey who had fallen unconscious on the tracks after being electrocuted by walking on wires above. The first monkey rubs, hits and bites him, then dips him in water. After more than 20 minutes the electrocuted monkey shows signs of life"

Can anyone embed the video?

Heartwarming :)

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: December 27, 2014, 02:03:25 pm »
Cats. Live rent free in a nice house (while its human pet is out working), get fed by the human and go out shagging every night, whilst Human sleeps to be fresh for work next day.

Draw your own conclusions about who is the thick one.

:lmao :lmao

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #333 on: January 10, 2015, 12:02:02 am »
Animals like cats and dogs, their reflexes are very much speeded up compared to ours. It's almost like time stands still for them so there's an awful lot going on here, in terms of body posture and movement. Notice no apparent injury to anyone.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #334 on: January 10, 2015, 12:47:38 am »

It's really interesting watching our Angus (the Airedale) sometimes wading in when our cats occasionally have a free and frank exchange of views.
There's often a big bundle here involving them all, inevitably started by some kind of cat squabble, but as that video shows, no real harm seems to ever be done and they all settle down afterwards very quickly and remain friends. We assume Angus thinks it's all just a rough and tumble game as he's surprisingly gentle with them. I'm sure if he really wanted to, Angus could easily kill the cats and very quickly too, as indeed the cats could likely kill or seriously maim each other if they really wanted to.  It's obviously a complex and nuanced relationship.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #335 on: January 10, 2015, 01:08:45 am »
My dog is a five year old female lab, fixed and kind of small for a lab. She snarls the shit out of about one in five dogs she meets, size not important. I rarely have her on a lead so it's open aggression. I can't work out why. She's the same out with my wife even though we are vastly different people, and yet she's good enough for my wife to bring her round the local Alzheimer's ward as a therapy dog. Dogs have their own universe.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: January 13, 2015, 05:15:18 pm »
Is it conscionable to keep any animal as a pet?

By no means the greatest article but thought I'd lash it in here nonetheless.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: January 13, 2015, 05:16:24 pm »
Animals like cats and dogs, their reflexes are very much speeded up compared to ours. It's almost like time stands still for them so there's an awful lot going on here, in terms of body posture and movement. Notice no apparent injury to anyone.

Wow, that's an amazing gif.

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: January 17, 2015, 07:23:29 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30812438

eurodegenerative diseases have been halted by harnessing the regenerative power of hibernation, scientists say.

Bears, hedgehogs and mice destroy brain connections as they enter hibernation, and repair them as they wake up.

A UK team discovered "cold-shock chemicals" that trigger the process. They used these to prevent brain cells dying in animals, and say that restoring lost memories may eventually be possible.

Experts have described the findings as "promising" and "exciting".

In the early stages of Alzheimer's, and other neurodegenerative disorders, synapses are lost. This inevitably progresses to whole brain cells dying.

But during hibernation, 20-30% of the connections in the brain - synapses - are culled as the body preserves precious resources over winter.

And remarkably those connections are reformed in the spring, with no loss of memory.

Hibernation lessons
In experiments, non-hibernating mice with Alzheimer's disease and prion disease were cooled so their body temperature dropped from 37C to 16-18C.

Young diseased mice lost synapses during the chill and regained them as they warmed up.

Old mice also lost brain connections, but were unable to re-establish them.

Brain cells
The study, published in the journal Nature, found levels of a "cold-shock" chemical called RBM3 soared when young mice were chilled, but not in old mice.

It suggested RBM3 was key to the formation of new connections.

In a further set of tests, the team showed the brain cell deaths from prion disease and Alzheimer's could be prevented by artificially boosting RBM3 levels.

Prof Giovanna Mallucci, from the MRC Toxicology Unit in Leicester, told the BBC News website: "This gives us a target to develop a drug in the same way paracetamol is used for a fever rather than a cold bath."

Memory back
Memories can be restored during hibernation as only the receiving end of the synapse shuts down.

I asked Prof Mallucci if memories could be restored in people if their synapses could be restored: "Absolutely, because a lot of memory decline is correlated with synapse loss, which is the early stage of dementia, so you might get back some of the synapse you've lost."

The discovery comes from the laboratory that was the first to prevent the death of brain tissue in a neurodegenerative disease.

It is still only an interesting concept, but has attracted some praise.

Dr Doug Brown, the director of research and development at the Alzheimer's Society said: "We know that cooling body temperate can protect the brain from some forms of damage and it's interesting to see this protective mechanism now also being studied in neurodegenerative disease.

"Connections between brain cells - called synapses - are lost early on in several neurodegenerative conditions, and this exciting study has shown for the first time that switching on a cold-shock protein called RBM3 can prevent these losses.

"While we don't think body cooling is a feasible treatment for long-term, progressive conditions like Alzheimer's disease, this research opens up the possibility of finding drugs that can have the same effect. We are very much looking forward to seeing this research taken forward to the next stage."

Dr Eric Karran, the director of research at Alzheimer's Research UK, said the study was "promising" and "highlights a natural process nerve cells use to protect themselves".

He added that "a future treatment able to bolster nerve cells against damage could have wide-reaching benefits".
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #339 on: January 17, 2015, 07:46:33 am »
Is it conscionable to keep any animal as a pet?

By no means the greatest article but thought I'd lash it in here nonetheless.

Absolutely. Humans and domesticated cats and dogs have been living together for thousands of years and have developed together. Any animal that has to be caged to be kept as a pet probably shouldn't be but cats are generally free to come and go as they please and choose to live with us (when they can be arsed). Dogs tend to have a slightly different relationship but are still members of the human family/social group.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #340 on: January 21, 2015, 03:29:06 pm »
Chimps 'talk' about favourite fruits, best trees

Researchers eavesdropping on wild chimpanzees have determined that the primates communicate about at least two things: their favourite fruits and the trees where these fruits can be found.

Of particular interest to the chimps is the size of the trees bearing these fruits - the chimps yell out that information, according to a new study published in the journal Animal Behaviour.

The study is the first to find that information about tree size and available fruit amounts are included in chimp calls, in addition to assessments about food quality.

"Chimpanzees definitely have a very complex communication system that includes a variety of vocalisations, but also facial expressions and gestures," says project leader Ammie Kalan of the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology.

"How much it resembles human language is still a matter of debate," she says, "but at the very least, research shows that chimpanzees use vocalisations in a sophisticated manner, taking into account their social and environmental surroundings."

Kalan and colleagues Roger Mundry and Christophe Boesch spent over 750 hours observing chimps and analysing their food calls in the Ivory Coast's Taï Forest. The Wild Chimpanzee Foundation in West Africa is working hard to try and protect this population of chimps, which is one of the last wild populations of our primate cousins.

The researchers found that higher pitched calls were produced when the chimps encountered fruits from Nauclea trees. Smaller trees elicited still higher pitched calls, while calls associated with bigger trees with more fruit were lower in pitch.

In short, the chimps seem to "talk" a lot about Nauclea fruits!

"I never tried these fruits myself, but they do smell very good in the forest," Kalan says. "They are also quite big and easy to ingest, and we also know that they have a high energy content, which is important for wild animals."

source

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: January 22, 2015, 04:04:26 pm »
Watched a programme from a series last week called Nature's Weirdest Events on the BBC. The final piece of the programme was on prairie dogs, and how they have one of the most complex forms of communication in the animal kingdom. Well worth a watch if you're in the UK.

Here's an article anyway just to summarise the points:

http://www.treehugger.com/natural-sciences/researcher-decodes-praire-dog-language-discovers-theyve-been-calling-people-fat.html

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #342 on: January 22, 2015, 04:28:34 pm »
Damn sight more intelligent than humans.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: January 26, 2015, 04:12:11 pm »
Rationing ravens and merciful monkeys: can animals be altruistic?

Altruism in its purest form should be an entirely selfless action. “If there’s any kind of selfish interest at stake, like secretly hoping for a return favour or even doing it deliberately because you know it will make you feel good, then that doesn’t really count at all,” says psychologist Michael Platt of the Center for Cognitive Neuroscience at Duke University, North Carolina.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: January 27, 2015, 02:41:22 pm »
Very interesting!

Which creature makes Sir David Attenborough’s jaw drop? It’s not what you’d expect

The broadcaster also said that he was amazed by the intelligence of creatures like the raven and the octopus.

“Octopus are the most extraordinarily intelligent animals,” he said. “And ravens. I had a friend who had a raven and I watched it being given a bottle with a piece of meat in it. And straightaway it dipped it in a pond and shook out the food. It took all of 30 seconds.

“I said to its owner, ‘you must have trained it to do that’ but he said that it had learned to do it on its own in about two minutes.”

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: January 30, 2015, 01:51:34 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-31038256

Scientists in Italy have found that baby chickens associate low and high numbers with left and right, respectively - just like humans.
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #346 on: February 6, 2015, 08:55:05 pm »
Dutch chimpanzees speaking in Scottish accent: 'first evidence' of animals modifying language

A group of Dutch chimpanzees have started making sounds like Scottish chimps at the same zoo.

A study found that the chimps, moved from Scandinavia to Edinburgh Zoo, altered the grunt they used for the word "apples" to sound more like their counterparts.

The Dutch chimps initially used a squeaky high-pitched grunt, with the Scottish chimps using a lower one. Within three years, the Dutch group had dropped down to lower tones.

The research, carried out by the Universities of Zurich and York, suggested that chimps use grunts in a very similar way to how humans use words, which helps explain how human language evolved.

Stuart Watson, one of the researchers, told the BBC the next challenge was to establish whether the change is comparable to a human learning an entirely new language, or simply picking up another accent involuntarily, but still speaking the same language.

Dr Simon Townsend, of the University of Zurich, said: “These findings might shed some light on the evolutionary origins of these abilities.

"The fact that both humans and now chimpanzees possess this basic ability suggests that our shared common ancestor living over six million years ago may also have been socially learning referential vocalisations.”

isitors to the zoo expressed their surprise and amusement at the discovery.

One visitor told the BBC: “That’s absolutely bizarre. It’s hilarious.”

Dr Katie Slocombe, from the University of York's Department of Psychology, said: "An extraordinary feature of human language is our ability to reference external objects and events with socially learned symbols, or words.

"These data represent the first evidence of non-human animals actively modifying and socially learning the structure of a meaningful referential vocalisation."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/listen-to-dutch-chimpanzees-speaking-in-scottish-accent-first-evidence-of-animals-modifying-language-10029072.html
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #347 on: February 25, 2015, 01:51:39 am »
Gerbils are crafty fuckers.

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: February 25, 2015, 01:52:33 am »
Gerbils are crafty fuckers.

;D

What makes you say that mate?

edit: Ah, I see. Bastards.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 01:54:32 am by Bakez0151 »

Offline LondonRapLondon

• "Please leave me alone.....These little forum games are annoying."
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #349 on: February 25, 2015, 02:35:49 am »
Fascinating documentary showing how clever ants are and the amount we just do not understand about them.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Z-gIx7LXcQM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Z-gIx7LXcQM</a>

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #350 on: February 25, 2015, 06:10:47 am »
I wonder which animals have finger prints, I heard koalas are one such species. Are there any other animals? My point is how did we evolve to have different finger-prints which almost not seen in any other animal.

And is it the main reason for us being able to be different from one another in terms of appearance?
"Genuine Struggle Leads To Genuine Success" - Yevado Annadle

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #351 on: February 25, 2015, 06:31:31 am »
Which print belongs to a… human? chimpanzee? koala bear?

1-Koala Bear               2-Human               3-Chimpanzee

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #352 on: February 25, 2015, 09:59:48 am »
.....My point is how did we evolve to have different finger-prints which almost not seen in any other animal.

I expect those lines have evolved in all species to differing extents that have to use the extremities of their limbs to enable gripping of stuff.

If the skin was silky smooth, it would make things like gripping food or climbing trees difficult.

Other animals have evolved different mechanisms, for example cats have very sharp and retractable claws instead to enable them to grip and climb into ambush positions and also hold onto their prey when needed, Dogs have much stronger and less retractable claws instead to grip the ground for long chases after prey or to burrow into it after underground prey though I expect if you look at their pads closely enough though, they all will probably have some kind of individually unique pattern present on the surface, just not quite so prominent.

I've not looked, but I imagine even simple creatures like snails probably have a degree of individuality in the surface of their foot mechanism if examined closely enough, snail shells certainly probably being individually unique at the fine surface pattern level.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #353 on: February 25, 2015, 01:58:37 pm »
I expect those lines have evolved in all species to differing extents that have to use the extremities of their limbs to enable gripping of stuff.

If the skin was silky smooth, it would make things like gripping food or climbing trees difficult.

Other animals have evolved different mechanisms, for example cats have very sharp and retractable claws instead to enable them to grip and climb into ambush positions and also hold onto their prey when needed, Dogs have much stronger and less retractable claws instead to grip the ground for long chases after prey or to burrow into it after underground prey though I expect if you look at their pads closely enough though, they all will probably have some kind of individually unique pattern present on the surface, just not quite so prominent.

I've not looked, but I imagine even simple creatures like snails probably have a degree of individuality in the surface of their foot mechanism if examined closely enough, snail shells certainly probably being individually unique at the fine surface pattern level.

That is really an interesting observation.

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: February 26, 2015, 11:44:57 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-31604026

The girl who gets gifts from birds

Lots of people love the birds in their garden, but it's rare for that affection to be reciprocated. One young girl in Seattle is luckier than most. She feeds the crows in her garden - and they bring her gifts in return.

Eight-year-old Gabi Mann sets a bead storage container on the dining room table, and clicks the lid open. This is her most precious collection.

"You may take a few close looks," she says, "but don't touch." It's a warning she's most likely practised on her younger brother. She laughs after saying it though. She is happy for the audience.

Inside the box are rows of small objects in clear plastic bags. One label reads: "Black table by feeder. 2:30 p.m. 09 Nov 2014." Inside is a broken light bulb. Another bag contains small pieces of brown glass worn smooth by the sea. "Beer coloured glass," as Gabi describes it.

Each item is individually wrapped and categorised. Gabi pulls a black zip out of a labelled bag and holds it up. "We keep it in as good condition as we can," she says, before explaining this object is one of her favourites.

There's a miniature silver ball, a black button, a blue paper clip, a yellow bead, a faded black piece of foam, a blue Lego piece, and the list goes on. Many of them are scuffed and dirty. It is an odd assortment of objects for a little girl to treasure, but to Gabi these things are more valuable than gold.

She didn't gather this collection. Each item was a gift - given to her by crows.

She holds up a pearl coloured heart. It is her most-prized present. "It's showing me how much they love me."

“If you want to form a bond with a crow, be consistent in rewarding them”
John Marzluff
Prof of wildlife science

Gabi's relationship with the neighbourhood crows began accidentally in 2011. She was four years old, and prone to dropping food. She'd get out of the car, and a chicken nugget would tumble off her lap. A crow would rush in to recover it. Soon, the crows were watching for her, hoping for another bite.

As she got older, she rewarded their attention, by sharing her packed lunch on the way to the bus stop. Her brother joined in. Soon, crows were lining up in the afternoon to greet Gabi's bus, hoping for another feeding session.

Gabi's mother Lisa didn't mind that crows consumed most of the school lunches she packed. "I like that they love the animals and are willing to share," she says, while admitting she never noticed crows until her daughter took an interest in them. "It was a kind of transformation. I never thought about birds."

In 2013, Gabi and Lisa started offering food as a daily ritual, rather than dropping scraps from time to time.

Each morning, they fill the backyard birdbath with fresh water and cover bird-feeder platforms with peanuts. Gabi throws handfuls of dog food into the grass. As they work, crows assemble on the telephone lines, calling loudly to them.

It was after they adopted this routine that the gifts started appearing.

The crows would clear the feeder of peanuts, and leave shiny trinkets on the empty tray; an earring, a hinge, a polished rock. There wasn't a pattern. Gifts showed up sporadically - anything shiny and small enough to fit in a crow's mouth.

One time it was a tiny piece of metal with the word "best" printed on it. "I don't know if they still have the part that says 'friend'," Gabi laughs, amused by the thought of a crow wearing a matching necklace.

When you see Gabi's collection, it's hard not to wish for gift-giving crows of your own.

"If you want to form a bond with a crow, be consistent in rewarding them," advises John Marzluff, professor of wildlife science at the University of Washington. He specialises in birds, particularly crows and ravens.

What food is best? "A few peanuts in the shell," he says. "It's a high-energy food… and it makes noise when you throw it on the ground, so they hear it and they quickly habituate to your routine."

Marzluff, and his colleague Mark Miller, did a study of crows and the people who feed them. They found that crows and people form a very personal relationship. "There's definitely a two-way communication going on there," Marzluff says. "They understand each other's signals."

The birds communicate by how they fly, how close they walk, and where they sit. The human learns their language and the crows learn their feeder's patterns and posture. They start to know and trust each other. Sometimes a crow leaves a gift.

But crow gifts are not guaranteed. "I can't say they always will (give presents)," Marzluff admits, having never received any gifts personally, "but I have seen an awful lot of things crows have brought people."

Not all crows deliver shiny objects either. Sometimes they give the kind of presents "they would give to their mate", says Marzluff. "Courtship feeding, for example. So some people, their presents are dead baby birds that the crow brings in."

Gabi has been given some icky objects. Her mother threw out a rotting crab claw, for example.

Gabi points out a heavily rusted screw she prefers not to touch. It's labelled "Third Favorite." Asking her why an untouchable object is in the favourites, she answers, "You don't' see a crow carrying around a screw that much. Unless it's trying to build its house."

Lisa, Gabi's mom, regularly photographs the crows and charts their behaviour and interactions. Her most amazing gift came just a few weeks ago, when she lost a lens cap in a nearby alley while photographing a bald eagle as it circled over the neighbourhood.

She didn't even have to look for it. It was sitting on the edge of the birdbath.

Had the crows returned it? Lisa logged on to her computer and pulled up their bird-cam. There was the crow she suspected. "You can see it bringing it into the yard. Walks it to the birdbath and actually spends time rinsing this lens cap."

"I'm sure that it was intentional," she smiles. "They watch us all the time. I'm sure they knew I dropped it. I'm sure they decided they wanted to return it."

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #355 on: March 3, 2015, 12:06:09 pm »
« Last Edit: March 3, 2015, 12:09:26 pm by Trada »

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #356 on: March 4, 2015, 03:08:32 pm »
I've got this another interesting topic for discussion here just like last time.

Human-beings are known to get addicted to things knowingly or unknowingly and addiction is a very expansive word. What's one's addiction can totally be normal for someone else and there are somethings which are considered addictive and also considered as "bad" things to do because it's socially unacceptable. There are a lot of addictions though, which are socially acceptable.

Human-beings aside what interests me is how an animal can get addicted to things and how does it approach towards addiction. There have been instances where we have seen animals getting addicted to alcohol or a certain kind of food but we do not know how it affects their behavior.

My question is are animals self-aware of their addictions and if they are does it alter their behavior such as going through depression or frustration when they don't get what they desire? What animals are the closest to human-beings when it comes to addiction related behavior?

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #357 on: April 11, 2015, 07:18:06 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Z_zw8h4epQM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Z_zw8h4epQM</a>

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: April 11, 2015, 07:46:31 pm »
More so than humans.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #359 on: June 10, 2015, 02:05:31 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8gtOH3fG5n4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8gtOH3fG5n4</a>

Look how delicate they are being.