Author Topic: How Intelligent Are Other Animals?  (Read 101746 times)

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
Re: How Intelligent Are Other Animals?
« Reply #280 on: August 28, 2014, 04:05:31 pm »
Pandas. Really. If they weren't vaguely cute looking, nobody would give a shit.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #281 on: August 29, 2014, 09:29:31 am »
Pandas. Really. If they weren't vaguely cute looking, nobody would give a shit.

I know, it's disgusting how much conservation money is spent on that particular species. But, they're one of the commercial symbols of conservationism.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 09:31:33 am by Broad Spectrum »

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #282 on: September 3, 2014, 10:11:20 am »

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?

Offline wellred99

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #284 on: September 3, 2014, 03:28:42 pm »
Dolphins are pretty intelligent. Think they are along with Elephants one of the few species of mammals that can display empathy.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #285 on: September 3, 2014, 03:39:49 pm »
Dolphins are pretty intelligent. Think they are along with Elephants one of the few species of mammals that can display empathy.

I suggest you read the thread. Even the first post.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: September 4, 2014, 03:28:27 am »
Marmosets in the wild can learn new behaviours from strangers — monkeys of the same species but who are not part of their social group — as this video shows. Such a feat had so far only been seen in laboratory conditions.

Tina Gunhold, a cognitive biologist at the University of Vienna, and her collaborators got wild marmosets (Callithrix jacchus) from the Pernambuco region of Brazil to learn how to open a box (and get a reward) from watching videos of other marmosets.

The researchers first trained two captured marmosets to get their treat out of the box in two different ways, either by popping open a lid or by pulling a drawer, and shot videos of the two monkeys' acquired behaviour so that they could serve as unwitting instructors. The team then took the same type of box to the forest and placed it on a tree branch, together with a laptop screen on which they showed either of the two instructional videos. Twelve groups of marmosets — 108 animals in all — got to watch either video or, to serve as controls, a still image showing the instructor next to the box.
Many of the animals failed the class. But some found the video useful: of 12 marmosets that were able to open the box, 11 had watched either video, while only one had figured out the trick by himself. And most of the successful animals used the same technique they had seen in their video. Gunhold and her colleagues report their results  in Biology Letters.

http://www.nature.com/news/marmoset-see-marmoset-do-1.15818?WT.mc_id=TWT_NatureNews
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: September 4, 2014, 10:13:46 am »
Interesting study about the social groups which Bottlenose Dolphins form in Shark Bay, Australia. Couple years old but very interesting nonetheless:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/17522450

For those interested in the actual study follow this link:

http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/279/1740/3083.full

The discussion section of the paper is well worth a read.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: September 5, 2014, 05:22:32 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/5TDzJiK7AdQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/5TDzJiK7AdQ</a>

Funny video this!

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: September 5, 2014, 05:29:53 pm »
Rats Not Only Show Compassion But Arguably More Than Some Humans in Unprecedented New UofC Study

This study is crazy, there are countless examples of this in the wild, and it's not just isolated to same species.

I'll try and find it later, but I remember a documentary where they happened to film two Sperm whales who were effectively comforting a dying calve, who expectedly went on to die. Amazing footage, BBC documentary comes to mind...

Offline RedRabbit

• Rampant but without the batteries.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #291 on: September 27, 2014, 10:47:25 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/c36UNSoJenI?version=3&amp;amp;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/c36UNSoJenI?version=3&amp;amp;</a>

Offline evie

• "Might have to think about it for a bit, k? No! That's not what I meant! Damn....." Prefers to hold it in.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hero
« Reply #292 on: September 28, 2014, 05:50:59 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/5TDzJiK7AdQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/5TDzJiK7AdQ</a>

Funny video this!

1:03 ;D

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #293 on: September 29, 2014, 04:41:55 pm »
I know, it's disgusting how much conservation money is spent on that particular species. But, they're one of the commercial symbols of conservationism.

If only China cared about the countless species they are pushing towards extinction like they do the Panda, then there would be hope.

A friend of mine had a baby pig as a pet (on a farm). On day 1 it had observed the pet dogs sitting when told to sit and receiving food. On Day 2 when he said sit to the dogs, the pig sat next to them waiting for the food.
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: October 1, 2014, 03:50:13 pm »
Wild chimps ape each other with a new 'tool' - and reveal how their culture evolves

The spread of ideas and culture was once considered to be something that separated humans from the rest of the animal kingdom but scientists have now found the first direct evidence of the transmission of technological inventions between wild chimpanzees...

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #295 on: October 10, 2014, 11:53:28 am »

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #297 on: October 15, 2014, 03:54:25 pm »
Not sure that's necessarily indicative of higher intelligence?

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: October 15, 2014, 05:23:03 pm »
Not sure that's necessarily indicative of higher intelligence?

No I wouldn't class it as higher intelligence per se. But what has caused this particular seagull to view the abundance of London pigeons as a potential food source, whilst the remaining population largely ignore them? From an evolutionary view point, they are definitely considered as predators so when you take that into consideration, alongside the fact the species itself is highly adaptable, it's not so surprising and could even be argued it was only a matter of time until they began to view pigeons as a food source. But it's just interesting to think what triggered this particular bird to become the first to target the pigeons; merely ecological factors, the birds intelligence, or a combination of the two?

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #299 on: October 15, 2014, 05:39:01 pm »
No I wouldn't class it as higher intelligence per se. But what has caused this particular seagull to view the abundance of London pigeons as a potential food source, whilst the remaining population largely ignore them? From an evolutionary view point, they are definitely considered as predators so when you take that into consideration, alongside the fact the species itself is highly adaptable, it's not so surprising and could even be argued it was only a matter of time until they began to view pigeons as a food source. But it's just interesting to think what triggered this particular bird to become the first to target the pigeons; merely ecological factors, the birds intelligence, or a combination of the two?

It's not the first to go beyond its original diet of crustaceans and small fish. All City based gulls have long ago moved to other foods, scavenging from land fill, bins, discarded kebabs and burgers and basicallyeating anything they can.

In fact while looking around I found this:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/seagulls-bring-terror-to-belfast-skies-30405859.html
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #300 on: October 15, 2014, 05:39:20 pm »
Yup, fair points.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: October 15, 2014, 06:49:47 pm »
It's not the first to go beyond its original diet of crustaceans and small fish. All City based gulls have long ago moved to other foods, scavenging from land fill, bins, discarded kebabs and burgers and basicallyeating anything they can.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/seagulls-bring-terror-to-belfast-skies-30405859.html

And this one  ;D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Kqy9hxhUxK0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Kqy9hxhUxK0</a>

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: October 16, 2014, 12:31:26 pm »
This study is crazy, there are countless examples of this in the wild, and it's not just isolated to same species.

I'll try and find it later, but I remember a documentary where they happened to film two Sperm Humpback whales who were effectively comforting a dying calve, who expectedly went on to die. Amazing footage, BBC documentary comes to mind...

This was the documentary I was referring to, finally found it! There is no mention of the sex of the humpback whales so they may have been driven by maternal instinct rather than compassion for the grey whale mother and her calf. But they remained in an area, where a pod of Orca attacked a grey whale calf off the coast of California, for several hours after even though they should have been feeding on a huge build up of krill miles down the coast. It's difficult to differentiate whether it was compassion or just simple maternal instinct which triggered them to stay in the area for hours, but it's interesting either way.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: October 16, 2014, 12:57:01 pm »

Yes they've gone far beyond their traditional evolutionary diet, becoming master city foragers/scavengers in the process.

But what surprised me with this case is the fact that this particular sea gull is targeting live prey in the form of pigeons. Once I read the article and viewed the photos it just got me thinking as to what exactly triggered the sea gull to behave in this way.

It reminded me of this famous wild Orca which targets seals in a very shallow and rocky pool somewhere in the Arctic I believe (I'll try and look for a clip later because I've seen it on more than one documentary). The Orca had a problem in that it could not access it's prey (in this case seals) because they took refuge in shallow, rocky pools off of beaches. However, the Orca solved the problem by adopting a stalking-like technique which had never been documented in the species before. Years later the same technique had been passed on to her offspring.

Now although the sea gull wasn't necessarily problem solving in the same manner as the Orca, I'm just fascinated to know what drove the sea gull to effectively become the 'innovator' within the local population with regards to exploiting this 'new' food source in the form of the local pigeon population. Numerous factors such as genes, level of food supply etc. are involved, but surely then these factors should in theory drive others within the local population to adopt the same policy.

Anyway don't want to derail the thread too much because I wouldn't categorise it as 'higher intelligence', particularly when compared with other examples within this thread. But for me this certainly looks like some form of intelligence on the sea gulls behalf has played a part in it's decision to target pigeons, particularly when you take into consideration of how the sea gull actually kills the pigeons by drowning them in the lake.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #304 on: October 16, 2014, 01:08:38 pm »
Anyway don't want to derail the thread too much because I wouldn't categorise it as 'higher intelligence', particularly when compared with other examples within this thread.

You're not derailing, it's an interesting view.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: October 16, 2014, 01:19:51 pm »
Anyway don't want to derail the thread too much because I wouldn't categorise it as 'higher intelligence', particularly when compared with other examples within this thread. But for me this certainly looks like some form of intelligence on the sea gulls behalf has played a part in it's decision to target pigeons, particularly when you take into consideration of how the sea gull actually kills the pigeons by drowning them in the lake.

If you go to St Ives the seagulls there will dive bomb people carrying food. When you try to fend them off and end up dropping your pastie/chips/sandwich the group swoops in and takes it.

It's quite amusing to sit for an hour and watch it happen, but like other examples, the indigenous gulls down there have not only worked out a food source, but have worked out how to take from man.
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #306 on: October 22, 2014, 02:49:09 pm »

Online HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: October 22, 2014, 02:58:14 pm »

That is so unreal. I loved that. Just hope the grizzly fellow wasn't saving that bird for dinner.
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: October 22, 2014, 04:01:08 pm »

Yeah seen this a few months back, amazing video  :)

Got a real soft spot for Grizzly's, and Polar bears even more.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #309 on: October 30, 2014, 11:49:50 pm »
This thread is sort of the best place for this.

Virus Found In Lakes May Be Literally Changing The Way People Think

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #310 on: October 31, 2014, 03:45:56 am »
This thread is sort of the best place for this.

Virus Found In Lakes May Be Literally Changing The Way People Think
People already wrote off this season.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: October 31, 2014, 09:31:51 am »
This is a clip from Life Story, a new Attenborough series on the BBC. Some of the footage is absolutely breathtaking.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/K7V5a3boptQ#t=72" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/K7V5a3boptQ#t=72</a>

First recorded example of an invertebrate effectively using 'tools' in the animal kingdom.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #313 on: November 1, 2014, 12:39:32 am »
Love this thread.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #314 on: November 4, 2014, 02:56:10 am »
This use of tools is admittedly a simple example of animal intelligence, but it's one that happens right in my yard nearly every day. I live right on a bay, and it is illegal to gather the large clams called quahogs that live just off my beach in front of my home. So the clams are abundant and grow very large. Seagulls will grab the biggest clams they can fit in their beak. The clams are so big and strong that it is impossible for a gull to break it open with its beak. So they soar straight up in the air and drop the clams from about 25-50 feet onto my concrete seawall. They keep doing it until the shell shatters and then they partake of a feast.

I'd guess that for thousands of years before man built such hard structures by the shore, the clams were probably safe from the gulls in any areas that didn't have large rocks nearby to use this method.

“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #315 on: November 6, 2014, 11:02:09 pm »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #316 on: November 7, 2014, 12:06:21 am »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: November 7, 2014, 11:52:42 am »
What happened next?

They had a romantic dinner for two in The Maasai Mara  ;)

Just in case people actually think it's real, it's not.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #318 on: November 7, 2014, 11:54:00 am »
They had a romantic dinner for two in The Maasai Mara  ;)

Just in case people actually think it's real, it's not.

Yeah it's shopped. Look at the zebra's hands.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: November 7, 2014, 11:57:56 am »
Yeah it's shopped. Look at the zebra's hands.

No thumb on those hooves, defo fake  :P