Author Topic: Xabi Alonso  (Read 335683 times)

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Xabi Alonso - I'm still a Liverpool fan
« Reply #3120 on: February 18, 2013, 10:38:20 am »
What rubbish.

Didn't Sami leave the summer that Xabi went? Arbeloa and Benayoun too?

Xabi was an important part of the side, clearly. Thats why we got £30 million for him. But to say he was the difference between us being a top team and a mid table team? Nah, not having that. Too much happened between the end of the 08/09 season and us becoming a mid table team to lay all of that at one single player leaving. What about Torres drop in form and eventual departure?

We lost Xabi, Masch, Torres, Sami, Arbeloa, Babel, Riera and Yossi in the space of 18 months and I think only Arbeloa was adequately replaced. We replaced probably our best CB with a greek journeyman, we replaced Masch with a Danish journeyman, we replaced Torres with a Geordie lump, we replaced Xabi with an injury prone luxury player, we got rid of a winger in Riera and replaced him with Joe Cole, Yossi for Maxi I guess is like for like. But on the whole, we downgraded a huge portion of the team. Not just Xabi.

We lost Arbeloa and Yossi that season. Arbeloa was replaced adequetly with Johnson. As you said, we had Maxi covered for Benayoun. Xabi was the only player that we didn't adequerly replace and he was the most important cog in the team as he controled the game and allowed the others to shine IMO. Suddenly all the other top class players we had lost form when Xabi wasn't pulling the strings.

Most of the key players that you mentioned we lost, left after the 09/10 season where we finished 7th. Xabi was the only key component of the team that was not replaced when we dropped from 2nd to 7th.

Losing Xabi was the biggest factor in our decline from 2nd to 7th because we didn't have anyone to replace him. No onme could do his job. Eventually, Lucas matured into the great player he is and he replaced Alonso, but that took atleast a year for that to happen. Lucas really struggled to fill Alonso's boots in that 09/10 season and it took until the begining of 2011 for us to get a midfield that actually worked again with Lucas and Spearing as a double pivot.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 10:41:23 am by LFC_4_life »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3121 on: February 18, 2013, 10:40:51 am »
Most of the key players that you mentioned we lost, left after the 09/10 season where we finished 7th. Xabi was the only key component of the team that was not replaced when we dropped from 2nd to 7th.

???

If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3122 on: February 18, 2013, 10:45:40 am »

???

We had Agger, Skrtel and Carra. Sami wasn't starting every game in his last season anyway. We lost an experienced dresing room leader who made 19 appearances that season in all compeitions. It's hard to tell how much that affected us on the pitch though as he wasn't playign regularly.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3123 on: February 18, 2013, 10:48:07 am »
Alonso wanted to move back to Spain as early as 2007 (according to Brian Reade). The summer of 2008, Xabi hadn't been up to his standard for a couple of seasons and Barry had probably been better than him and was also a more versatile option. Being tied in with the Inter Milan incident, Rafa decided, quite logically, Barry was a better option. The deal didn't come off and then Xabi put in a fantastic season in 08/09 and then decided to make a transfer request.

Looking back, it was a mistake by Rafa but it's easy to see why it was made. Barry was playing better than Xabi in 2008.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3124 on: February 18, 2013, 10:51:46 am »
I think we saw from his final appearance how highly he was regarded by his team-mates and how important he was.

I don't disagree that Xabi leaving and not being replaced was a huge blow to the team, but I don't agree that his leaving was the only thing between mid-table and being a top team. For me we haven't even come close to replacing Xabi, Masch and Sami and those are the big three factors, on the pitch, which have seen the decline.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3125 on: February 18, 2013, 10:55:51 am »
Alonso wanted to move back to Spain as early as 2007 (according to Brian Reade). The summer of 2008, Xabi hadn't been up to his standard for a couple of seasons and Barry had probably been better than him and was also a more versatile option. Being tied in with the Inter Milan incident, Rafa decided, quite logically, Barry was a better option. The deal didn't come off and then Xabi put in a fantastic season in 08/09 and then decided to make a transfer request.

Looking back, it was a mistake by Rafa but it's easy to see why it was made. Barry was playing better than Xabi in 2008.

Xabi was out with injury for spells in the 07 and 08 seasons. There was a spell from January 08 until May 08 where he was excellent coming up to the summer where Rafa tried to offload him.

It was a mistake in hindsight, but the manager should be allowed to ship out whoever he wants if he wants an upgrade. But unless Xabi is lying, that choice afftect his decision to leave.

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3126 on: February 18, 2013, 10:58:55 am »
Has more quality than 95% of our squad right now, would take him back in an instant, regardless of how he left. He still has passion for the club and wants to play, which is more than can be said for some of the other shite we've had recently ahem Joe Cole

Offline himynameisntmark

• itsalgernonmuckbucketjuniorthethird
  • Kopite
« Reply #3127 on: February 18, 2013, 11:03:39 am »

Bingo, I've also read in Rafas book that the homegrown rule the Premier League brought in would of seriously hurt our squad, therefore bringing in Barry would of at least given us depth and versatility as well as a homegrown player

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #3128 on: February 18, 2013, 11:03:58 am »
Nothing ever happens, nothing happens at all
The needle returns to the start of the song
And we all sing along like before
And we'll all be lonely tonight and lonely tomorrow

Offline RedRedTom

• Knows how to get you there. Finding his thrills on Denmark Hill
  • Legacy Fan
  • Luis Garcia, he drinks sangria
Xabi Alonso interviewed by Carragher.
« Reply #3129 on: November 21, 2014, 11:30:30 pm »
I really enjoyed this.  Even if it is on the Daily Fascist's website.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2844035/XABI-ALONSO-MEETS-JAMIE-CARRAGHER-devastated-miss-Liverpool-return.html

He talks about positioning and tactics and so on in the article, you look at the type of player he is, the game intelligence he possesses and the managers he's worked for and you don't have much trouble imagining him as a fantastic manager in the future, maybe one day he'll manage us.  Wouldn't that be something.

Luis Garcia... tries his luck........

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Xabi Alonso interviewed by Carragher.
« Reply #3130 on: November 22, 2014, 03:12:55 am »
Great read.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Xabi Alonso
« Reply #3131 on: November 25, 2014, 08:58:34 am »
Xabi is 33 today :)

:)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 04:12:12 pm by child-in-time »
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
Xabi Alonso
« Reply #3132 on: November 25, 2014, 10:02:25 am »
I couldn't find a Xabi Alonso thread and thought I'd create one as today is his birthday.

Happy Birthday Alonso.

A banner I found while googling.. made by a fellow RAWKite.. thanks to you.  :thumbup

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=83385.0
"Genuine Struggle Leads To Genuine Success" - Yevado Annadle

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3133 on: November 25, 2014, 10:26:54 am »
One of the best midfielder of this era I'd say. Still tearing things up at Bayern right now.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Tomaldinho

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • camina, camina, con esperanza de tu corazon
« Reply #3134 on: November 25, 2014, 10:31:18 am »
One of the best midfielder of this era I'd say. Still tearing things up at Bayern right now.

Except now he's a centre back... sort of ;)
@TomNJones on Twitter

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #3135 on: November 25, 2014, 10:47:05 am »
Sorry about it mods... I couldn't think of this earlier.  :thumbup
"Genuine Struggle Leads To Genuine Success" - Yevado Annadle

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3136 on: November 25, 2014, 08:26:14 pm »
Birthday goal!

Offline AfricanBavarian

• Kopite
« Reply #3137 on: November 25, 2014, 08:35:13 pm »
Happy Birthday!

Online 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #3138 on: November 25, 2014, 08:35:48 pm »
I miss the handsome devil  :(

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #3139 on: November 25, 2014, 08:36:06 pm »
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #3140 on: November 26, 2014, 09:40:22 am »
I'm not going to breath a single word about how much it still eats away at me when I  reflect on the H&G reign and just how much Rafa was forced to sell off some of the great team he'd created in order to buy new players - especially Xabi [albeit Rafa's indignation re his father's funeral and Xabi's wedding clearly didn't help matters] -  or how sad it made feel when I read Xabi's own recent comments that only bayern Munich were in for him in the summer and we didn't make so much as a tentative enquiry presumably because he didn't fit our profit-orientated recuitment profile.

I'll just keep it myself and suffer in silence.

;D

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3141 on: February 16, 2015, 02:10:34 pm »
One of my favourite ever players.

Love reading about him but at the same time sad that he's been gone from here for so long now!

Just a rolls royce of a player and by all accounts, 'maturing' even further with age.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11946/9716919/xabi-alonso-impressing-at-bayern-munich-under-pep-guardiola-and-eyeing-a-third-champions-league-medal

Offline karl740

• Kopite
« Reply #3142 on: February 17, 2015, 07:12:39 pm »
What position is he playing nowadays under pep at bayern. Still a CDM or has he to adapt with age?

Offline AfricanBavarian

• Kopite
« Reply #3143 on: February 17, 2015, 08:37:50 pm »

What position is he playing nowadays under pep at bayern. Still a CDM or has he to adapt with age?
Still a CDM

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3144 on: February 19, 2015, 05:22:54 pm »
Apparently showing major signs of being a weak link in the Bayern midfield:

Link
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline AfricanBavarian

• Kopite
« Reply #3145 on: February 19, 2015, 05:44:44 pm »
His age is definitely catching up to him. I was afraid of this since this is the exact reason RM got rid of him. On counter attacks he is getting caught with his hands in his pants and committing stupid fouls.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #3146 on: February 19, 2015, 05:56:31 pm »

Link

That kit is boss.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Jimmy Two Times

• Two Times. A good fella. RAWK Cricket ODI Draft champion
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3147 on: February 19, 2015, 07:11:41 pm »

Link

Except for the fact that he's been widely acknowledged as Bayern's most consistently superb player

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3148 on: February 19, 2015, 07:27:58 pm »
Except for the fact that he's been widely acknowledged as Bayern's most consistently superb player

And now he's being found out in the current setup and targeted by other teams.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Mod
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #3149 on: February 19, 2015, 10:24:00 pm »

Link

Presumably playing a lot more than anticipated due to the absences of Javi Martinez and Thiago, too?

Offline pinky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3150 on: March 3, 2015, 10:16:29 am »
Presumably playing a lot more than anticipated due to the absences of Javi Martinez and Thiago, too?

It was the same last season too. He's 33 years old, soon to be 34 and he was never the quickest player out there. His lack of mobilty he hides it partially with his huge defensive talent and technique but there is a point when there's not enough to compensate it.

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
« Reply #3151 on: March 20, 2015, 09:53:32 am »
He even makes Solar Eclipse glasses look cool...    8)

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3152 on: April 29, 2015, 02:01:50 am »
Why is Xabi at Bayern and not here anyway :butt

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3153 on: April 29, 2015, 11:25:51 am »
Why is Xabi at Bayern and not here anyway :butt

He hasn't been great for Bayern legs are going. i'd rather have Lucas.

Offline Matze_LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • We go again!
« Reply #3154 on: April 29, 2015, 11:40:32 am »
he started the season on great form but declined after that. I suppose you're right that his legs are going.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #3155 on: April 29, 2015, 12:35:27 pm »
He could be assistant coach and groom the next Xabi Alonso, would that be Asier Illarramendi?
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3156 on: April 29, 2015, 01:12:19 pm »
Should join Gerrard in LA for old times ;)

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3157 on: April 29, 2015, 01:13:50 pm »

Whose knees have gone.

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3158 on: June 20, 2015, 12:11:15 am »

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #3159 on: June 21, 2015, 06:22:08 pm »

Sick of people sticking up my private facebook pics on here, for the last time we just look alike okay!
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.