Author Topic: The iPhone  (Read 1042049 times)

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
Re: The iPhone
« Reply #240 on: June 29, 2007, 09:48:02 am »
http://www.iphonesize.com/

Looks pretty big to me.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: June 29, 2007, 09:54:10 am »
my current phone i can hold in my hand close my hand entirely round it

thats the size all phones should be
STFU and agree with me.

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: June 29, 2007, 09:55:29 am »
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

AS ALWAYS, WE ARE FOCUSED ON SUPPORTING OUR MANAGER

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #243 on: June 29, 2007, 10:39:53 am »
How utterly bizarre.

I liked it.

I also THINK that for me to carry an iphone around, it would be smaller and lighter than my current ipod and mobile phone combined.

As for internet, well it's certainly going to smaller than

if you are in wifi range you will simply use a laptop
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: June 29, 2007, 11:28:25 am »
I liked it.

I also THINK that for me to carry an iphone around, it would be smaller and lighter than my current ipod and mobile phone combined.

As for internet, well it's certainly going to smaller than

do you take your ipod out to the pub?
STFU and agree with me.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: June 29, 2007, 12:01:57 pm »
do you take your ipod out to the pub?

Sometimes, yes.

Not FOR the pub you understand, but with the itrip, it's fucking invaluable for post pup parties, which, invariably, you arrive to and they have nothing but shite music.

I just stick it in the jacket before I leave.
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: June 29, 2007, 12:17:14 pm »
sure you do, like you go to the pub or get invited to parties :)
STFU and agree with me.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #247 on: June 29, 2007, 12:25:02 pm »
my current cock i can hold in my hand close my hand entirely round it

"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: June 29, 2007, 02:03:23 pm »
sure you do, like you go to the pub or get invited to parties :)

Next time you leave Mexico to come home we'll go on the rip smiff. :wave

Offline redchiz

• No income tax, no VAT
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Reds are coming up the hill, boys...
« Reply #249 on: June 29, 2007, 02:22:07 pm »
Must be crap this iPhone thingy. I mean, just rumours that Vodafone were set to secure exclusive rights in the European market sent their share price up to a new high. Analysts expect the contract, if made, could be worth at least 8p per Vodafone share.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/telecoms/article2002888.ece
"Rise like Lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number,
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many - they are few." Percy Bysshe Shelley

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #250 on: June 29, 2007, 02:30:03 pm »
Must be crap this iPhone thingy. I mean, just rumours that Vodafone were set to secure exclusive rights in the European market sent their share price up to a new high. Analysts expect the contract, if made, could be worth at least 8p per Vodafone share.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/telecoms/article2002888.ece

Well, it will sell by the bucket load, whether its crap or not won't it?

Thats what has driven the share price up, its no indicator of quality though.

A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: June 29, 2007, 02:31:06 pm »

It might be a lot of things, but one thing it isn't is crap.
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

Offline mightykopite8

• Legacy Fan
  • 18 + 5
« Reply #252 on: June 29, 2007, 02:45:32 pm »
Rumour : iPod 6G could be running 'OS X'....and could be released anytime this year.....
FUCK OFF MANCS!!!

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: June 29, 2007, 07:29:22 pm »
It might be a lot of things, but one thing it isn't is crap.

on this we agree, it looks like a great phone its just that with some very minor changes which hopefully the UK market will get it could be a great phone

even something as allowing landscape keyboard mode when doing text messages would be a great improvement, so easy to do but hugel beneficial, it would totally negate my wanting a tactile feedback from the buttons,  you wouldnt need it with a full keyboard there
STFU and agree with me.

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #254 on: June 29, 2007, 07:52:17 pm »

Yep, you can't fault Apple when it comes to marketing and generating a buzz

Offline redchiz

• No income tax, no VAT
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: June 30, 2007, 12:29:52 am »
Some people want the iPhone to do to the mobile phone industry what the iPod did to portable music. Others want it to become the moby equivalent of the Zune and are desperate for it to fail. Be honest and choose which camp you are in.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: June 30, 2007, 12:49:41 am »
i will wait for an iphone mini to come out before i will want one

carrying a brick, touch sensitive as it is, in my pocket doesnt appeal

great replacement for a blackberry mind you if it works with the office suite
STFU and agree with me.

Online filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: June 30, 2007, 12:57:40 am »
Some people want the iPhone to do to the mobile phone industry what the iPod did to portable music. Others want it to become the moby equivalent of the Zune and are desperate for it to fail. Be honest and choose which camp you are in.

THe problem is that its not exactly a new market Apple are creating in this case, they'll do well on design and marketing, personally i won't be holding off my upgrade for one to come on the market, I'll just go for the Nokia N95 next month

Offline mightykopite8

• Legacy Fan
  • 18 + 5
« Reply #258 on: June 30, 2007, 09:28:16 am »
i will wait for an iphone mini to come out before i will want one

i'll wait for iPhone shuffle

iPhone, iPhone Nano and iPhone Shuffle
FUCK OFF MANCS!!!

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #259 on: June 30, 2007, 09:54:19 am »
I'm firmly in the camp of couldn't care less as I'll never bother with it and fortunately don't know anyone daft enough to want one.

Offline Emo Phillips

• Master of his domain. Enjoyed a young girl's strange, erotic journey from Milan to Minsk. Resident of MILF Island.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: June 30, 2007, 10:00:09 am »
I'm firmly in the camp of couldn't care less as I'll never bother with it and fortunately don't know anyone daft enough to want one.

Except you just talk such a lot about it, as you do with other Apple products. But hey, you couldn't care less, right?

Funny how the same people who say Macs must be shite because they have such a tiny market share are the ones saying I-phone will sell incredibly well, like Ipods, even though they are, erm, shite.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hypocrite
KRAMER: "I'm at 1st and 1st. Wait a minute, how can a street intersect into itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe!"

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #261 on: June 30, 2007, 10:24:11 am »
Looks like the fishing worked, then.

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #262 on: June 30, 2007, 10:28:37 am »

Thats not really fair.

It will succeed anyway, it just seems to me that there are some major oversights which have been lost in the hype.

Its certainly no use to me without 3G.

I'm currently running a Palm Treo 750, which again has some major things missing, like GPS for instance. But its got the bits I need and are important to me.
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: June 30, 2007, 11:38:11 am »

Except you just talk such a lot about it, as you do with other Apple products. But hey, you couldn't care less, right?

Funny how the same people who say Macs must be shite because they have such a tiny market share are the ones saying I-phone will sell incredibly well, like Ipods, even though they are, erm, shite.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hypocrite

saying the iphone will sell really well does not equate to thinking its any good, Uwe Boll movies do well at the box office, they are utter turds
STFU and agree with me.

Offline redpride9

• Legacy Fan
  • Sonic Booom !!
« Reply #264 on: June 30, 2007, 10:55:17 pm »
it looks ace... but bound to be over priced..
We won it 5 times........

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #265 on: July 2, 2007, 07:16:45 pm »
Another view, albeit from someone who is a half glass full guy.  He does make some good points though.

Beware the iCannibal

By Tero Kuittinen

* In reality, the iPhone's strength is as a high-end iPod replacement.
    * Its mix of high- and low-end phone features is stirring speculation of an upgrade.
    * If an upgrade comes within a year, and it may, it could eat into current iPhone sales.

The early response to Apple's  iPhone really emphasizes how divisive this device is.

It has great appeal to iPod fans and consumers who are not used to high-end phones. Conversely, it is also raising the hackles of smartphone fans. The controversial early feature set is now feeding a buzz explosion leading to widespread speculation about an upgrade three days after the launch. This poses a clear threat to product longevity.
iPod Deluxe

I see the greatest flaw of the prelaunch media hype in the way it positioned the iPhone as an unusually flexible and functional smartphone. In reality, the great strength of the iPhone is its role as a high-end iPod replacement. The combination of the gorgeous touch-screen and an innovative user interface is impressive. Many applications expand and complement the iPod user experience.

But at the same time, the first-generation iPhone has turned out to be an exceptionally limited and carefully walled garden -- it is a major step back for many people who are used to the diverse feature set of a modern high-end phone.

The lack of photo-messaging, instant-messaging, video capture and 3G data transfer speed has already been widely discussed. But the list of absent phone features seems to go on and on. Most camera-phone users depend on easy and intuitive file transfers via Bluetooth. But the Bluetooth functionality of iPhone is crippled, reducing it to a simple headset support role.

Creating your own ringtone is one of the most popular new features of mid- to high-end models -- iPhone does not allow it. Sending photos is bizarrely awkward; you cannot add them to the email you are writing, so you are forced to send each photo individually from the camera application.

Each of these missing or misbegotten features may seem esoteric to mainstream consumers, but as a group, they are a clear setback for people who are used to owning high-end phones.

Is this a problem? Not if Apple can tap into the iPod fan base and connect with consumers who are unfamiliar with high-end-phone feature sets. It is possible to cobble a coalition of buyers from these two pools and simply shrug off the mixed response from phone fans. But this feat is going to be far tougher than simply attracting a wide range of both iPod and high-end-phone fans.

The iPod fans are already Apple customers. Apple may lure people who are fond of $400 iPods into upgrading to the $600 iPhone. However, that does not have the same impact as attracting consumers who do not belong to the iPod family.
Dangerous Buzz

As mentioned, the iPhone feature set is a curious mix of cutting-edge and near-obsolete. This is now feeding a frenzy of speculation over the iPhone 2. Apple has created a media machine devoted to iPhone-related news -- and it is already moving on to speculating when the 3G version of the iPhone is going to be launched, in which markets and at which prices.

The problem inherent in delivering a 2G phone in a world where nearly all high-end models feature 3G support is that the life span of the product is hard to predict. Apple probably has to deliver a 3G version of the iPhone to European carriers by December 2007, since the operators there are unlike to accept an EDGE version. The new device is likely to fix the early problems, such as the crippled Bluetooth support and the camera that is unable to deliver video capture or zoom.

Will U.S. consumers continue buying the first-generation iPhone as media coverage on the upgrade device ramps up this autumn? There is a reason most smartphones are so heavily featured: The vendors are trying to future-proof the devices to keep them alive for at least 12 months. That's why the leading European and Asian smartphones this summer feature three- to five-megapixel cameras, HSDPA data upgrade, GPS support, etc. U.S. consumers are currently comfortable with BlackBerry-level features, but the competitive environment is notably harsher in London or Hong Kong.

By end of 2007, Apple will have to add the basic features the first version of the iPhone is missing and boost up the current level of the smartphone feature set. And, of course, keep the U.S. consumers buying the inferior first version of iPhone while the media machine churns out endless updates on iPhone 2 speculation and rumors.

I don't think it's doable. The speculation about iPhone 2 is already running rampant on tech-oriented Web sites -- three days after the launch of iPhone 1. This is exceptionally rare in the phone business; it's a direct result of opting for the low-spec approach on many features, while offering a cutting-edge display, an operating system and processing power.

The European launch date for the 3G iPhone is highly unusual; smartphones do not usually get major feature upgrades in five months. The eclectic feature mix of the iPhone not only seems to be designed to maximize the cannibalization of high-end iPods -- it may well position the device as a prime candidate for cannibalization by iPhone 2.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: July 3, 2007, 03:15:42 pm »
$220 phone, yours for the bargain price of $599 with a 2 year contract

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jul2007/tc2007072_957316.htm?campaign_id=rss_daily
STFU and agree with me.

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: July 3, 2007, 03:17:15 pm »
As much as a rip off as it is, it's the same with other tech products that often cost feck all to produce. It doesn't factor in the cost of making the OS either.

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #268 on: July 3, 2007, 03:19:46 pm »
Now this would be hilarious.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: July 3, 2007, 03:23:54 pm »
As much as a rip off as it is, it's the same with other tech products that often cost feck all to produce. It doesn't factor in the cost of making the OS either.

why should i have to pay for them to develop an os that was 90% developed already, its OSX isnt it

add it even $100 for building costs etc and its still a 100% mark up on price, typical apple really
STFU and agree with me.

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: July 3, 2007, 03:24:31 pm »
why should i have to pay for them to develop an os that was 90% developed already, its OSX isnt it

add it even $100 for building costs etc and its still a 100% mark up on price, typical apple really

Typical everyone, really? TV's, Computers, Phones - all crazy.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: July 3, 2007, 03:27:27 pm »

getting a nice $2000 bill at the end of the month :)

everyone knows the downfall of apple will be when it gets mainstream, if the iphone becomes mainstream expect it to be hacked to bits
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #272 on: July 3, 2007, 03:31:22 pm »
There's already a way of "hacking" it, thanks to a security hole in AT&T's voicemail system.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #273 on: July 3, 2007, 03:48:01 pm »
I love my iPod, and don't have a cellphone because I find them largely annoying. But I am getting nagged by the fiance into getting one, and as she is with AT&T I could probably get some kind of second line deal for cheap. So I'd be an ideal candidate for the iPhone, but the shitty amount of memory is really off putting. The price doesn't help, but I could get over that if the memory was decent.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline redchiz

• No income tax, no VAT
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: July 3, 2007, 04:15:35 pm »
Shifted about 700,000 units in four days, apparently.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=a7A4BDWusr2U&refer=news

Online filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: July 3, 2007, 04:34:29 pm »
Great marketing job once again, fair play to apple, its amazing how much people are willing to pay for the "cool" factor, ignoring the rather obvious weaknesses of the phone, although I suspect the lack of 3G and MMS support is likely to be more of an issue in the more developed European mobile markets than in the US.

To be honest I do wonder if the version released in the US will ever see the light of day over here

Offline mobydick

• Comes in any flavour
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thatcherite refugee
« Reply #276 on: July 3, 2007, 06:53:08 pm »
I love my iPod,

As I do, as I  do.

and don't have a cellphone because I find them largely annoying.

You could be, and remain, my hero. No cellphone, peace at last.

I'm thinking of jacking mine in too, gets on my nerves and costs a bomb. I'm old enough to remember when we never knew what a brick cellphone was. Never needed one then, doubt I need one now. Plus the boss woman won't be able to reach me every minute of the day.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #277 on: July 3, 2007, 07:19:42 pm »

I'm thinking of jacking mine in too, gets on my nerves and costs a bomb. I'm old enough to remember when we never knew what a brick cellphone was. Never needed one then, doubt I need one now. Plus the boss woman won't be able to reach me every minute of the day.

:wellin

I hate texting and really the only time I'm not near a phone is when I'm driving or at the shops. Do I have to be connected 24 hours a day? Do I fuck. The only time I'd need one is if my car broke down. But there are always phones around if that happened.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: July 3, 2007, 09:09:34 pm »
Every woman will want one because Apple is the only company outside the porn industry that makes hardware that women find attractive and they all have great big handbags to lug one around in.
That's very interesting. I was thinking of hacking it in order to get homebrew apps on it (which will probably be pretty hard as the processor used has hardware DRM), but I suppose the iPhone OS could become the Windows of the mobile world--it will almost certainly outsell any other comparably powerful (and therefore interesting and exploitable) mobile device and will likely become the first popular mobile device used heavily on the web.

Nothing like 90% developed. It has Safari, but it's not OS X. The ARM's a different architecture so there was a new HAL to write, the interface looks similar but is fundamentally different with the multitouch interface and lack of standard widgets like checkboxes, scrollbars etc. (apparently the next MacBooks will have multitouch touchpads), plus all-new apps for the thing.

I'm sure they've used as much of OS X as they could, but they must have invested a huge amount of time and money in paring down a system shipped with 2GHz dual-core machines with 1GB+ RAM to run responsively on a 600-odd MHz RISC processor. I think the interface, particularly the size, and the processor power will make it difficult to build an app for OS X and the iPhone at the same time.

The profit margin is indeed classic Apple, but they must have invested huge amounts in R&D as a company that doesn't make phones or PDAs and just came out with probably the most impressive mobile in 5 or more years.

The more I read about it, the more I think they'll define a new kind of device. Apple will update the OS as time goes on to include voice recognition (you can't dial with a touchscreen while driving), more widgets (they're well-in with Yahoo! and Google on this), and whatever else they can add from OS X. Meanwhile, the presence of a real browser and the Cult of the Mac will result in every man and his dog falling over himself to provide a version of their website optimised for the iPhone, despite the fact that in real terms practically no fucker has one other than the boss or developer of the website.

We'll get an updated version in Europe anyway, as no bastard here has an Edge network, so we'll get 3G and SIM cards (I hope).
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #279 on: July 3, 2007, 09:13:58 pm »
I'm gonna buy a shitload of these and put them on ebay ;)
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts