Author Topic: Litherland/Netherton.  (Read 3892 times)

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Litherland/Netherton.
« on: May 23, 2020, 08:30:59 pm »
Many years ago, early to mid 80s, when I was Secretary at my local footy club we had some lads sign for us that lived in the Litherland/Netherton area.

Occasionally me and the ex would meet up with them for a night out and just wondered if any of you might know them.

I've no idea if they were Reds or Blues, not that it matters.

There were two brothers Tony was one but I can't remember the other.  Possibly Mark?   Rogan I think their surname was and they lived somewhere near The Strand?

The other one I believe played for Marine name of Dave Rimmer.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
Re: Litherland/Netherton.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 10:17:18 pm »
Wools.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 10:20:46 pm »
Wools.
I know it's the wrong side of the city for some mate but they were sound lads then.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 11:48:51 pm »
The name Rimmer rings a bell as there was at least one family with that name living on Ford, which is part of Motherland and next door to Netherton.

I don't know anyone with the name of Rogan, but if they lived by the Strand in Bootle then that would be a fair way away from Netherton and where Netherton borders Litherland.

We used to watch Marine in the late 70s and the 80s but I can't remember any names of players from back then.

Hopefully someone has some better info for you, Debs.

Edited for predictive text cockups.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 11:53:28 pm by Son of Spion* »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 11:52:16 pm »
I know it's the wrong side of the city for some mate but they were sound lads then.

There used to be loads from those areas in the old Spion Kop back in the day. You'd see most of our school in there or the Road End.

Kesey was born right under the Liver Bird, so everyone's a wool compared to him.  ;)
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 11:56:12 pm »

The name Rimmer rings a bell as there was at least one family with that name living on Ford, which is part of Motherland and next door to Netherton.

I don't know anyone with the name of Rogan, but if they lived by the Strand in Bootle then that would be a fair way away from Netherton and where Netherton borders Litherland.

We used to watch Marine in the late 70s and the 80s but I can't remember any names of players from back then.

Hopefully someone has unsubscribed info for you, Debs.

He was probably telling porkies about Marine mate.

We had a decent team then, a keeper from Northwich Victoria, some Wigan lads and then the scousers with some local lads from the village.

I might have it wrong about living near the Strand.  I don't mean the one where Jamie Bulger was taken it was a pub/club type place on a square with a housing estate around and I'm pretty sure it was Litherland.

We used to meet up with them at the Nethy Arms, then go on from there.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 11:57:51 pm »
There used to be loads from those areas in the old Spion Kop back in the day. You'd see most of our school in there or the Road End.

Kesey was born right under the Liver Bird, so everyone's a wool compared to him.  ;)
Is that like cockneys being born hearing Bow Bells ringing?  Can't be a cockney if you weren't [emoji12]

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 12:05:42 am »

He was probably telling porkies about Marine mate.

We had a decent team then, a keeper from Northwich Victoria, some Wigan lads and then the scousers with some local lads from the village.

I might have it wrong about living near the Strand.  I don't mean the one where Jamie Bulger was taken it was a pub/club type place on a square with a housing estate around and I'm pretty sure it was Litherland.

We used to meet up with them at the Nethy Arms, then go on from there.

Ah, I'm with you now. I think the pub you mean is the now demolished Stand Park. This was just by the golf course and over the road from Litherland High School.

I know a fella from Litherland who used to play for Northwich Victoria. He was on Match of the Day once. He wasn't a goalie though. Another lad from my school played for Marine. His surname was Murray. I just remembered him after my last reply.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 12:07:56 am by Son of Spion* »

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 12:06:31 am »
Is that like cockneys being born hearing Bow Bells ringing?  Can't be a cockney if you weren't [emoji12]

Exactly like that. 😂

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2020, 12:10:37 am »
This might have been better in the Liverpool life thread

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2020, 12:27:49 am »
Ah, I'm with you now. I think the pub you mean is the now demolished Stand Park. This was just by the golf course and over the road from Litherland High School.

I know a fella from Litherland who used to play for Northwich Victoria. He was on Match of the Day once. He wasn't a goalie though. Another lad from my school played for Marine. His surname was Murray. I just remembered him after my last reply.
That's the one mate.  Strange what pictures stay in your mind as I can see that place like it was yesterday.

I'm trying to pinpoint a year now.  It was before my kids so before '86 and I took over as secretary in '81 so probably the '84 season.

The lads would all have been early to mid 20s so born early to mid 60s.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2020, 12:30:27 am »
This might have been better in the Liverpool life thread
You're probably right mate so if one of our very accommodating mods would like to move it that would be very kind of them [emoji847]

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2020, 12:34:30 am »
That's the one mate.  Strange what pictures stay in your mind as I can see that place like it was yesterday.

I'm trying to pinpoint a year now.  It was before my kids so before '86 and I took over as secretary in '81 so probably the '84 season.

The lads would all have been early to mid 20s so born early to mid 60s.

I was born in '62, so we'd be of very similar ages.

The Stand Park was demolished a number of years ago now. They put new housing on there. A lot of the local pubs around there have gone too. The Nethy is still going of course. Well, it was until the virus hit.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2020, 12:35:57 am »

Eddie Murray?

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2020, 12:37:56 am »

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2020, 12:41:34 am »
Debs, if you are on Facebook there is a page called 'Memories of growing up in Litherland'. I don't have Facebook myself, but my mum goes on there a lot.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2020, 12:44:19 am »
Debs, if you are on Facebook there is a page called 'Memories of growing up in Litherland'. I don't have Facebook myself, but my mum goes on there a lot.
I am mate yeah so I'll give it a try, somebody should know something.

Thanks for the help and if you remember anything else, you know where to post [emoji16]

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2020, 12:47:39 am »
That's him. 👍😊

I think he scored an FA Cup goal that made Match of the Day. A couple of months later I fell for an April Fools in the Crosby Herald of him eating a bowl of pasta because AC Milan wanted to sign him off the back of that goal. :D

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2020, 12:51:40 am »
I think he scored an FA Cup goal that made Match of the Day. A couple of months later I fell for an April Fools in the Crosby Herald of him eating a bowl of pasta because AC Milan wanted to sign him off the back of that goal. :D
😂
Nice April Fool.

I miss the Crosby Herald, too.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2020, 01:38:33 am »

Was kidding .

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2020, 01:39:29 am »
Was kidding .
[emoji106]

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2020, 01:41:39 am »

We've spoken about this before.

You are only born and bred if your Nan's house got bombed during the blitz.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2020, 01:45:42 am »

And was it?  Ya nans house bombed?

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2020, 01:59:53 am »
And was it?  Ya nans house bombed?

They refused to move out of their house in Alderson Road on Smithdown ( it was my Great Nan's by the way but me Nan was living there ). If anyone knows Smithdown you'll see houses that were built in the 1950's in two's and three's as the bombs fell in patterns .  If I could find a birds eye view of it I would. The houses to the front and back of hers were bombed so she got lucky . Good old Kilkenny girl her and a popular musician in the pubs in the South End.  Her grave is right opposite in Tocky Cemetery and I can swear down that every time I visit she says ' I told youse I couldn't be arsed '.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2020, 02:12:08 am »
They refused to move out of their house in Alderson Road on Smithdown ( it was my Great Nan's by the way but me Nan was living there ). If anyone knows Smithdown you'll see houses that were built in the 1950's in two's and three's as the bombs fell in patterns .  If I could find a birds eye view of it I would. The houses to the front and back of hers were bombed so she got lucky . Good old Kilkenny girl her and a popular musician in the pubs in the South End.  Her grave is right opposite in Tocky Cemetery and I can swear down that every time I visit she says ' I told youse I couldn't be arsed '.
She sounds a character mate and they'll never be made like that again.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2020, 02:24:47 am »
She sounds a character mate and they'll never be made like that again.

Nice one.

Me Great Grandad played the box ( accordian ) whilst she played the piano. Legend has it the the crowds followed them from pub to pub. I visited her grave on Easter Sunday this year as I got a flatty on Smithdown . It was raining too. There's something in moments like that I reckon.

Soz for totally having the thread off .

;D

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2020, 02:28:48 am »
Nice one.

Me Great Grandad played the box ( accordian ) whilst she played the piano. Legend has it the the crowds followed them from pub to pub. I visited her grave on Easter Sunday this year as I got a flatty on Smithdown . It was raining too. There's something in moments like that I reckon.

Soz for totally having the thread off .

;D
Haha don't be daft, it all contributes to the conversation [emoji106]

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2020, 02:45:28 am »
Haha don't be daft, it all contributes to the conversation [emoji106]

Here we go then.

;D

The box is what my family ( Dixon / Murray's ) instrument is. It's been taught down to us but I can't play the fooker . Anyway. In Toledo they day after us winning number six a busker comes over and we all look at me Uncle Peter who has mastered the box. He looks at us all going ' Nah , I can't be arsed ' and we're all going ' Go 'ead '. He finally could be arsed and played Poor Scouser Tommy '. and those nearby all joined in .What a great memory with all of our family singing. The busker couldn't believe his luck when he left with his tip. A couple of ton I reckon.

;D
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 02:47:58 am by kesey »

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2020, 07:39:25 am »
You're probably right mate so if one of our very accommodating mods would like to move it that would be very kind of them [emoji847]

:wave

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2020, 07:51:03 am »
:wave
Thank you [emoji106]

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2020, 08:24:44 am »
Here we go then.

;D

The box is what my family ( Dixon / Murray's ) instrument is. It's been taught down to us but I can't play the fooker . Anyway. In Toledo they day after us winning number six a busker comes over and we all look at me Uncle Peter who has mastered the box. He looks at us all going ' Nah , I can't be arsed ' and we're all going ' Go 'ead '. He finally could be arsed and played Poor Scouser Tommy '. and those nearby all joined in .What a great memory with all of our family singing. The busker couldn't believe his luck when he left with his tip. A couple of ton I reckon.

;D
Are we talking about a squeeze box or a piano accordion?

Either way it's great when music brings people together.

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2020, 01:59:55 pm »
If anyone knows Smithdown you'll see houses that were built in the 1950's in two's and three's as the bombs fell in patterns .

Quite a few in those roads like that, can't believe I've never put 2+2 together to wonder why they were like that.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2020, 02:37:21 pm »
Are we talking about a squeeze box or a piano accordion?

Either way it's great when music brings people together.

Piano accordion. Ive picked it up in my Nans but couldnt get to grips with it. I shoud put in more of an effort as none of my generation can play it. I can play the Indian Harmonium and I guess the are both similar instruments. Both have piano keys and need wind to play.

Quite a few in those roads like that, can't believe I've never put 2+2 together to wonder why they were like that.

I think every street or certainly most streets are like that.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 02:40:53 pm by kesey »

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2020, 03:30:47 pm »

No direct hits on my nan's, but close.

She was down by the Bryant and May Matchworks in Litherland. It was hit on the night of May 3rd 1941. The resulting fire could be seen from Wales. When I was growing up there were still old bomb sites dotted around where local houses were bombed.

Nan's and Gramps were tough characters back then. The north end took such a pasting because of the docks. Even today, you can see large chunks of buildings destroyed by bombing in the war because they now form much of the coastal defence on the beach going north from Hall Road towards Hightown. There are some amazing pieces of stonework from buildings in town that were hit too.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2020, 04:16:07 pm »

Nan on my Mums side got bombed out twice, so I'm double Scouse ;)

No direct hits on my nan's, but close.

She was down by the Bryant and May Matchworks in Litherland. It was hit on the night of May 3rd 1941. The resulting fire could be seen from Wales. When I was growing up there were still old bomb sites dotted around where local houses were bombed.

Nan's and Gramps were tough characters back then. The north end took such a pasting because of the docks. Even today, you can see large chunks of buildings destroyed by bombing in the war because they now form much of the coastal defence on the beach going north from Hall Road towards Hightown. There are some amazing pieces of stonework from buildings in town that were hit too.

My Nan and my two oldest aunties had left the house about 2 minutes or so before the first time their house got destroyed - they lived in Everton.

My Mums Dad was home on leave, he'd fought in the desert. He was stood at the front door when the house opposite took a direct hit, he got blew up the stairs and ended up in the back bedroom according to my Mum.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 04:20:06 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2020, 04:59:43 pm »
Nice stories and you know Iam only jesting about the Wool stuff.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2020, 07:43:59 pm »
Nan on my Mums side got bombed out twice, so I'm double Scouse ;)

My Nan and my two oldest aunties had left the house about 2 minutes or so before the first time their house got destroyed - they lived in Everton.

My Mums Dad was home on leave, he'd fought in the desert. He was stood at the front door when the house opposite took a direct hit, he got blew up the stairs and ended up in the back bedroom according to my Mum.
Scary stuff, Rob.  :o

It's the incredible what people went through back then.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2020, 08:52:30 pm »
So bombings, being true Scousers not Wills and piano accordions is all very interesting but does anybody know the lads?

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2020, 11:45:45 pm »
So bombings, being true Scousers not Wills and piano accordions is all very interesting but does anybody know the lads?
Off topic!  ;)
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2020, 02:19:38 am »

What squadron were they in ?

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi