Author Topic: Dodgy Liverpool Developments  (Read 4047 times)

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Dodgy Liverpool Developments
« on: March 13, 2018, 08:28:04 am »

Good piece in The Grauniad today about the failed developments in Liverpool ( and the wider NW region ). Doesn't reflect well on the council at all , which is putting it mildly .

Some pretty disgusting individuals make comment in the article .

Link to article is below - it's a longish read but worth the effort :

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/mar/13/buyer-funded-development-scandal

Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
Re: Dodgy Liverpool Developments
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 08:56:01 am »
Will read up on that later cheers..

Isn't there an iffy development on Shaw st/Netherfield rd next to where the Campion school was?
Heard rumours about it.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 09:00:52 am »
New Chinatown and similar projects.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 09:13:38 am »

Isn't there an iffy development on Shaw st/Netherfield rd next to where the Campion school was?
Heard rumours about it.

Isnt that next to the collegiate , went past there to do a job the other day and seen these half built block with sandstone cladding to fit in with the collegiate . Then read an article about a company called primesite ( I think) edit just had a quick look at the article and it's pinnacle  and it's one of them common schemes now were buyers fund build costs in stages and then own an apartment that is rented out to guarantee them a return .

You pay 20% upfront then another 60 at certain stages then 20 % upon completion , the idea being the last 20% is the developers profit . Apparently out of the first tranche of 20% a huge wedge of it was sent to a company linked to the builder for " commission and marketing purposes " and the building arm didn't have enough to fund completion and went bust .

Peter kilfoyle does a few good articles on it about the various developers and there links to each other on twitter , will have a read of the article later .
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 09:16:17 am by gazzam1963 »

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 09:35:02 am »

You pay 20% upfront then another 60 at certain stages then 20 % upon completion , the idea being the last 20% is the developers profit . Apparently out of the first tranche of 20% a huge wedge of it was sent to a company linked to the builder for " commission and marketing purposes " and the building arm didn't have enough to fund completion and went bust .

Even worse than that - below is a snippet from the article outlining the funding :

Along with many others, Leung said she was wooed at a lavish promotional roadshow at a hotel in Hong Kong and convinced to pay 80% of the price of a student flat upfront, with promises of 6% interest on her deposit, followed by guaranteed 9% returns in rental income once the project was finished. Months later, buyers received requests for further funds to complete the building, before North Point Global announced it was stopping work all together – and couldn’t refund the buyers’ deposits.
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 09:44:30 am »
Anyone willing to invest their money in such a way is asking for trouble. Whilst the blame is clearly on the crooks running these companies, people need to have a bit more nous about them, and that if a deal seems so good it's either because it's pretty dodgy or the risk is pretty high.

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 09:52:53 am »
Anyone willing to invest their money in such a way is asking for trouble. Whilst the blame is clearly on the crooks running these companies, people need to have a bit more nous about them, and that if a deal seems so good it's either because it's pretty dodgy or the risk is pretty high.

Indeed , summed up in the article thus :

“It’s an incredibly risky form of investment,” says Clifford Tibber, expert in property law at Anthony Gold solicitors. “Very often the developments are not legitimate ... Developers are bypassing banks and targeting unsophisticated individuals who are willing to throw their life savings at a chance of making big profits.”

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 11:12:13 am »
Isnt that next to the collegiate ,

Yep thats the one, i did hear that was an asset frozen/taken from illegal means or money laundering.
Probably just another chocolate bar from the far east!
*chinese wispa.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 11:23:05 am »
I received an email about this recently from rw-invest.com:
RW Invest are very excited to announce the release our latest exclusive development located within Liverpool’s up and coming Fabric District. 

The Fabric District Residence is perfectly situated with short walks to Liverpool Lime Street Station, the Brand New £335m University Hospital and the Vibrant City Centre.

The vision is for the Fabric District to become a thriving mixed-use destination, where start-ups can work alongside established family businesses and people of all ages can live and enjoy an eclectic mix of shops, bars, restaurants and public art.

Key Investment Highlights

Luxury Residential Studio Apartments
8% NET for three years
Supported by Regeneration Liverpool
They provided a PDF information guide too. 5% reservation deposit, 50% within 21 days, 25% when property is "sectionally complete" and 25% on "Practical Completion"

Offline Momos_righteye

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 12:11:07 pm »
Millions squandered here, council need to have a look at themselves in this as well, who thinks Liverpool needs all this student accommodation?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 12:21:36 pm »
Millions squandered here, council need to have a look at themselves in this as well, who thinks Liverpool needs all this student accommodation?

Are they lying empty?

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 12:46:19 pm »
Are they lying empty?

Your right Craig there’s big demand and it’s not just students it’s the private rental sector too , you can’t to my knowledge or it’s very limited buy a new build in city centre to actually live in yourself there all an investment
Strategy . These ones all guaranteeing rental returns are from the rent don’t think after the initial guarantee period you can opt to move in . It will be interesting if that’s the case what returns will be given when the five years or whatever period expires .

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 12:58:37 pm »
Yeah it seems the demand is huge for private rental. Just around where I'm renting they are building a 278 apartment 31 storey tower, a 105 apartment 16 storey tower, a 304 apartment 34 storey tower and a 230 apartment 13 storey tower. A tad further out and there is the triple tower Infinity project which consists of 1,002 apartments in 27, 33 and 39 storey towers, as well as the huge warehouse at Stanley Dock which is being converted at the moment.

Those are just the committed projects too around the Liverpool Waters area, they have space for shitloads more too.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 01:35:58 pm »
Graphic from the article, click to enlarge.

Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2018, 08:20:18 pm »
Something has to be done about crooks like these who set up shell companies, start the development and rake in fees to pay to associated companies owned by the same peole, then go bust and start again with a new shell company.

The council's due diligence over these deals were shambolic at best, corrupt at worst.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 08:23:30 pm »

Heard rumours about it.

It's almost bang opposite where I live.  I believe the same company was building the block on the site of the old Odeon on London road too.  Oddly enough even though that is clearly incomplete the upper stories are occupied.

It's utter bullshit how Liverpool keeps bending over for these charlatans. 
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 08:54:06 pm »
Might get the popcorn out and head on over to the SkyScraper City forums.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 09:09:06 pm »
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2018, 12:42:48 pm »

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2018, 02:13:52 pm »
Aye , it is . Where did you come across that ?
It was from Twitter this morning.