32 (25.4%)
Murphy
4 (3.2%)
Robertson
27 (21.4%)
Allen
9 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 126

Author Topic: The Snooker thread  (Read 650724 times)

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
Re: The Snooker thread
« Reply #12160 on: April 27, 2024, 05:25:20 pm »
Truly pissed off with the scheduling. I want to watch the Si v Jones match - reaching its conclusion. BBC and Eurosport are showing Higgins v Allan, but inexplicably, so are Discovery +. WTF?

BBC iplayer/website for Si vs Jones match
#Sausages

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #12161 on: April 27, 2024, 05:38:49 pm »
Thanks VR - but it doesn’t work. Most BBC2 channels are showing women’s rugby. BBC 2 WALES is showing Flog It, Eurosport doesn’t work on red button.

Thanks SR - will try.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #12162 on: April 27, 2024, 05:42:34 pm »
Thanks VR - but it doesn’t work. Most BBC2 channels are showing women’s rugby. BBC 2 WALES is showing Flog It, Eurosport doesn’t work on red button.

Thanks SR - will try.

Nope, won’t allow it. Edit * managed to get it on my iPad! Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2024, 05:46:27 pm by Robinred »
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #12163 on: April 27, 2024, 05:51:14 pm »

Thanks SR - will try.

Red button on any bbc channel usually gives the option of watching either table.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #12164 on: April 27, 2024, 06:16:53 pm »
Red button on any bbc channel usually gives the option of watching either table.

Thanks again VR. I’ve played about with it and think I know how to get iplayer via the Red button, then get to the menu. Anyway it was a cracking watch, and I’m chuffed for Jones.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12165 on: April 28, 2024, 04:09:54 pm »

Good to finally see some close games in this round. Allen/Higgins and Lisowski/Bingham could go the distance.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12166 on: April 28, 2024, 04:36:34 pm »
Allen vs Higgins has been a really hard watch. Both really struggling.

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #12167 on: April 28, 2024, 04:46:15 pm »
Allen vs Higgins has been a really hard watch. Both really struggling.

Allen has been somewhat unlucky but if he played better shots he wouldn't be so unlucky.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #12168 on: April 28, 2024, 05:16:53 pm »
Except a bit of Ronnie and Trump in the first round, feels like the quality is a bit low in most of the rest I’ve watched so far?

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12169 on: April 28, 2024, 05:46:10 pm »
Watching young 30 year old Lisowski. Why does this guy get so much attention? He’s made some serious gaffes against Bingham but in general I just don’t see the fuss. Nowhere near the talent of a Jimmy White for instance, I don’t get it.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #12170 on: April 28, 2024, 05:50:14 pm »
Watching young 30 year old Lisowski. Why does this guy get so much attention? He’s made some serious gaffes against Bingham but in general I just don’t see the fuss. Nowhere near the talent of a Jimmy White for instance, I don’t get it.

He's very good at potting balls. I'm not convinced he's that great at actual snooker though.

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #12171 on: April 28, 2024, 05:53:54 pm »
He's very good at potting balls. I'm not convinced he's that great at actual snooker though.

His safety play/snookering is atrocious. Gets straight down and just hits it with no thought.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #12172 on: April 28, 2024, 06:31:02 pm »
His safety play/snookering is atrocious. Gets straight down and just hits it with no thought.

it was fucking awful today, I'm pretty sure that it's not usually that bad.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #12173 on: April 28, 2024, 06:40:40 pm »

Probably been discussed on here and elsewhere before but it’s probably because there is a complete lack of new talent in the sport right now that average/good players get talked up into being something special. Trump, Selby, the class of 92 are still the special players, Trump is 37 but since him there hasn’t been anyone special, there’s good players like Allen and I’d probably put an inform Robertson in that first bracket, but it’s been a long time that a genuine special player and star has come on the scene.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #12174 on: April 28, 2024, 06:45:36 pm »
I know Ronnie does it (although he’s actually at least earned the right to), I don’t get why this newer generation of players do so much media work during (hell, even after being knocked out) tournaments. Murphy was always the standout for it, but recent times there’s the likes of Lisowski, Wilson and now Allen doing it. Surely you’d want to just concentrate on your game and then when/if you’re knocked out you’d want to be nowhere near it.
AHA!

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #12175 on: April 28, 2024, 06:47:26 pm »
I know Ronnie does it (although he’s actually at least earned the right to), I don’t get why this newer generation of players do so much media work during (hell, even after being knocked out) tournaments. Murphy was always the standout for it, but recent times there’s the likes of Lisowski, Wilson and now Allen doing it. Surely you’d want to just concentrate on your game and then when/if you’re knocked out you’d want to be nowhere near it.

allen was asked and said he was only going to do comms if he wasn't playing the day after. other than that he's in the city anyway and what else is he going to do?

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #12176 on: April 28, 2024, 07:58:12 pm »
Neither Day nor Ronnie are anywhere near their best - really scrappy stuff with lots of unexpected misses. I’d never noticed before just how Day’s technique has major flaws; Murphy pointed out a ‘quirk’ where his thumb isn’t still on the potting stroke. He also has some involuntary head movement on pressure shots.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #12177 on: April 28, 2024, 08:34:31 pm »
Day's managed to lose that mini session 3-1 to a pretty shit version of o'sullivan there

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #12178 on: April 28, 2024, 08:58:47 pm »
Day's managed to lose that mini session 3-1 to a pretty shit version of o'sullivan there

Indeed. Day has loads of talent and experience. Unfortunately, his technique under pressure is as dodgy as his temperament.

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #12179 on: April 28, 2024, 09:20:33 pm »
He looks like Ron Dixon

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12180 on: April 29, 2024, 08:44:38 am »
I know Ronnie does it (although he’s actually at least earned the right to), I don’t get why this newer generation of players do so much media work during (hell, even after being knocked out) tournaments. Murphy was always the standout for it

Murphy got knocked out and was presenting for the BBC about an hour later  ;D

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #12181 on: April 29, 2024, 08:49:09 am »
Murphy got knocked out and was presenting for the BBC about an hour later  ;D

I think he actually lives at the crucible for 17 days each year.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12182 on: April 29, 2024, 04:00:57 pm »
Both of today's matches ending before the mid session interval is a bit shit
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12183 on: April 29, 2024, 04:15:40 pm »
Ronnie winning another world championships would be awesome. You know you’re witnessing greatest of all time brilliance from him and it’d be good for the record books to reflect that in world championships won terms.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #12184 on: April 29, 2024, 04:36:36 pm »
Went to it Friday, we had unreal seats for the evening session, unfortunately it was the Gilbert-Milkins match so only one frame.

I liked Rob Walker I have to say, he really tried to get the crowd to make Milkins feel a bit better about himself but it was clear after missing a shot or two his head was gone altogether

The match with Si and Jak Jones was ok, got a bit scrappy, last frame went on a while and even Jones looked shattered. It was just as well I had gone back to my room for a nap earlier as I would have nodded off myself

But a fantastic experience. I would go back.
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12185 on: April 29, 2024, 04:52:06 pm »

Tonight's games could be great. I expect Allen to win but it ultimately comes down to form on the night as Higgins has the ability to turn every frame into a dogfight.  The winner of that plays Kyren Wilson which could be the pick of the QFs.

Lisowski has all the talent in the world but has the worst snooker brain I have ever seen and so far Bingham has picked him off every time he does something daft.  As a Ronnie fan I'd rather Lisowski advance (a bit like a lower table side playing open expansive football against us).

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #12186 on: April 29, 2024, 08:15:05 pm »
Tonight's games could be great. I expect Allen to win but it ultimately comes down to form on the night as Higgins has the ability to turn every frame into a dogfight.  The winner of that plays Kyren Wilson which could be the pick of the QFs.

Lisowski has all the talent in the world but has the worst snooker brain I have ever seen and so far Bingham has picked him off every time he does something daft.  As a Ronnie fan I'd rather Lisowski advance (a bit like a lower table side playing open expansive football against us).

I’d like Allen to win, but Higgins is dogged, and in the history of this sport, nobody has pinched more frames when well behind. Although the snooker community seem to have done so, I’ve never forgiven Higgins for his part in the ‘sting’ of 2010.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #12187 on: April 29, 2024, 08:43:58 pm »

Jack Lisowski's tactical game really is levels below the top players. Bingham's giving him the runaround here.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #12188 on: April 29, 2024, 08:49:31 pm »
Excellent safety shot from lisowski there to give him credit. He's burgled these last 2 frames.

Or would have if he hadn't inexplicably missed the pink
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 08:51:35 pm by voodoo ray »

Offline TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12189 on: April 29, 2024, 08:52:52 pm »
What a miss on the pink from Lisowski!

I criticised his tactical play, but he'd actually managed to get himself a winning position from snookers required after a brilliant shot in behind the brown, only for his potting to let him down at the crucial moment.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #12190 on: April 29, 2024, 08:54:28 pm »
Excellent safety shot from lisowski there to give him credit. He's burgled these last 2 frames.

Or would have if he hadn't inexplicably missed the pink

That snooker he got  with the yellow next to the brown & he put cue ball behind the brown was exceptional shot, then he blows it missing that pink off its spot.
#Sausages

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #12191 on: April 29, 2024, 09:16:21 pm »
Looks likely that Allen v Higgins will go to the wire. I’ve had to mute Joe Johnson - he’s a genuinely lovely fella, but he just can’t STFU.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12192 on: April 29, 2024, 09:21:20 pm »
Looks likely that Allen v Higgins will go to the wire. I’ve had to mute Joe Johnson - he’s a genuinely lovely fella, but he just can’t STFU.

Dennis Taylor and Stephen Hendry are doing that match for the BBC if you fancy a change.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #12193 on: April 29, 2024, 09:54:52 pm »
The match with Si and Jak Jones was ok, got a bit scrappy, last frame went on a while and even Jones looked shattered. It was just as well I had gone back to my room for a nap earlier as I would have nodded off myself

I was on the Si-Jones table in the morning session, that was pretty scrappy too. 3 occasions Si got 50+ up and lost the frame.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #12194 on: April 29, 2024, 10:08:18 pm »
Whoever wins this will be knackered playing Ronnie tomorrow

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12195 on: April 29, 2024, 10:31:41 pm »
What a frame of snooker that was
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #12196 on: April 29, 2024, 10:31:53 pm »
12-12 in the Higgins match, cracking match.
#Sausages

Offline TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12197 on: April 29, 2024, 10:32:01 pm »
Into a decider in the Allen v Higgins match! It's gripping stuff. Looks like the Bingham v Lisowski match is following a similar pattern too.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #12198 on: April 29, 2024, 10:37:10 pm »
Some contrast between afternoon and evening sessions.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #12199 on: April 29, 2024, 10:38:36 pm »
Allen has to win from here. Balls are decent.

Or maybe not.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 10:42:45 pm by BobPaisley3 »
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored