Author Topic: The GAA Thread  (Read 641823 times)

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
Re: The GAA Thread
« Reply #10960 on: July 30, 2023, 03:36:55 pm »
Just something wrong about a blue and green kit clash.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #10961 on: July 30, 2023, 07:04:44 pm »
David Clifford was the difference today. If he had an 8 out of 10 performance like his brother, Kerry would have won it. He had a 4/10 day and Kerry lost by 2.  Harsh but true. Credit to Mick Fitzsimons though, man of the match in his 9th final age 35. 
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #10962 on: July 30, 2023, 08:07:15 pm »
Am I alone in thinking David Gough's officiating was awful today? I'm not even talking about him getting 50/50 calls wrong here. That happens to all refs

I'm talking about him seemingly making up his own rules and making decisions that he actually has no business making

As someone who believes in supporting referees, and allowing them reasonable margin for error, I genuinely can't understand how this fella has managed to become an inter county official
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #10963 on: July 31, 2023, 07:41:46 am »
Gough had a fine game, the McCarthy yellow aside. It was a borderline decision at high speed that would have been a red if there was VAR in Gaelic. Anyone who's first reaction to the final is to talk about the ref doesn't know Gaelic football at all.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 07:51:03 am by Ray K »

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10964 on: August 1, 2023, 02:00:27 pm »
David Clifford was the difference today. If he had an 8 out of 10 performance like his brother, Kerry would have won it. He had a 4/10 day and Kerry lost by 2.  Harsh but true. Credit to Mick Fitzsimons though, man of the match in his 9th final age 35. 

Thought Clifford started out well but just lost all composure in the 2nd half. Very unlike him, I guess that's what pressure at the highest level does to a player. Should have been burying the attempt that was fortunately given for a shirt pull as well.

Really enjoyed the game and the championship overall.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #10965 on: September 18, 2023, 10:22:03 pm »
What the clean fuck 😂
YNWA

Offline an fear dearg

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10966 on: September 18, 2023, 10:38:21 pm »
What the clean fuck 😂

You Joe Brolly in disguise?  Ulster Championship just got very tasty….

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #10967 on: September 18, 2023, 10:56:58 pm »
You Joe Brolly in disguise?  Ulster Championship just got very tasty….
I don’t know how to feel about it. It’s annoyed my Tyrone mates to no end. Mcguinness and harte back in ulster will be wild
YNWA

Offline an fear dearg

• Legacy Fan

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #10969 on: May 11, 2024, 08:55:25 pm »
Hahaha get fucked, ye juiced up c*nts.

Offline tinner777

• give me some sugar
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10970 on: May 11, 2024, 09:06:19 pm »
 :scarf

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #10971 on: May 11, 2024, 10:04:30 pm »
The double is on Corky.

Cillian for the Oscar and Bambie Thug for Eurovision, I mean.

Offline Johnny Aldridge

• Kopite
  • Red & White Crown Paints Kop
« Reply #10972 on: May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 am »
Brilliant game.
For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side.
Bill Shankly 1913-1981.

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #10973 on: May 12, 2024, 10:19:16 pm »
Armagh beat on pens again! 8)
YNWA

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10974 on: May 12, 2024, 10:32:14 pm »
Armagh beat on pens again! 8)

Ulster Champions.  ;D

I'm far from getting carried away, but it's great to see the belief that McGuinness has instilled in the players. What a record he has when it comes to the Anglo-Celt cup.

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #10975 on: May 13, 2024, 12:41:58 am »
Ulster Champions.  ;D

I'm far from getting carried away, but it's great to see the belief that McGuinness has instilled in the players. What a record he has when it comes to the Anglo-Celt cup.
congrats sir. Great to see yous win in
YNWA

Offline naka

• Lennart Skoglund Ultra
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10976 on: May 13, 2024, 01:09:01 pm »
congrats sir. Great to see yous win in
congrats,
fabulous game of football.
just gutted from an armagh perspective

Offline SvenJohansen

• Fast single-handed action expert.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10977 on: May 14, 2024, 06:59:04 pm »

Do you fancy your chances with Tipperary on Sunday?
I feel a little strange inside
A little bit of Jekyll, a little Mr. Hyde

Offline Johnny Aldridge

• Kopite
« Reply #10978 on: May 15, 2024, 01:40:13 am »
I hate seeing games like Sundays Ulster Final settled on penalties, both teams deserved a replay to have another crack at winning the cup. It feels against the ethos of our game. I also can’t imagine any GAA person not wanting a replay to that game, the anticipation leading up, the media coverage, the conversation, hype and excitement. Armagh didn’t deserve to go down on the day in that style. Pennos are a shit way to end any GAA game. It’s an amateur sport and games should be won or lost over the course of the match, win as a team lose as a team, it should never fall on one man’s shoulders in that way. It’s not like a free kick to win or draw a game, you can take a perfect penno and if the goalie guesses the right way it’s 50-50 he gets it. I’d far prefer a pressured free kick to go for a game than a penalty.

Cork v Limerick was a cracking game. There’s something about this Cork team that I reckon will see them in the mix at the business end of things. Tipp seem to be a step behind Clare, Cork & Limerick right now. Whatever happens the MacCarthy cup is staying in Munster.
For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side.
Bill Shankly 1913-1981.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #10979 on: May 15, 2024, 11:30:28 am »
Do you fancy your chances with Tipperary on Sunday?

No but that's just based on natural pessimism.

Offline SvenJohansen

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10980 on: May 15, 2024, 05:52:29 pm »

I'm from Tipperary and I'm fairly pessimistic too. We'll have a chance as long as James Owen isn't the referee  ::)  Hopefully it will be a good game though.

Offline SvenJohansen

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10981 on: May 15, 2024, 05:53:36 pm »
I hate seeing games like Sundays Ulster Final settled on penalties, both teams deserved a replay to have another crack at winning the cup. It feels against the ethos of our game. I also can’t imagine any GAA person not wanting a replay to that game, the anticipation leading up, the media coverage, the conversation, hype and excitement. Armagh didn’t deserve to go down on the day in that style. Pennos are a shit way to end any GAA game. It’s an amateur sport and games should be won or lost over the course of the match, win as a team lose as a team, it should never fall on one man’s shoulders in that way. It’s not like a free kick to win or draw a game, you can take a perfect penno and if the goalie guesses the right way it’s 50-50 he gets it. I’d far prefer a pressured free kick to go for a game than a penalty.

Cork v Limerick was a cracking game. There’s something about this Cork team that I reckon will see them in the mix at the business end of things. Tipp seem to be a step behind Clare, Cork & Limerick right now. Whatever happens the MacCarthy cup is staying in Munster.

You would think that the GAA would welcome a replay. More money for them.

Offline Johnny Aldridge

• Kopite
« Reply #10982 on: May 16, 2024, 01:39:01 am »
You would think that the GAA would welcome a replay. More money for them.

You would think so!

It’s just bollix for an amateur player to slave and slog training for months and not get a shot at winning a provincial title because the game is decided on penalties. I don’t see settling Gaelic Games that way as part of our sport, it would make more sense to me to have it settled on 45s an actual skill of the game and not reducing it to the 50-50 chance on penalties.

Some of the great games I’ve seen over the years Hurling & Football were replays. I’m from Westmeath but have cousins in Dublin we’d spend a weekend with every summer and in 1991 that weekend the Dublin v Meath game was on so the old man took me and we went with our cousin, I saw that game 4 times that summer as it went to 3 replays and the old man got tickets for all of them and they were gold dust for the 3rd and 4th games. Those games have become GAA lore now and we may not see that drama again given the current structure.
Bill Shankly 1913-1981.

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #10983 on: May 16, 2024, 11:24:04 am »
I like penalties. Penalties are a skill of the game. Half the lads may have never took a 45 before and may not even have the range for it. Missing a 45 will still give the same shite feeling to the lad who missed the same as missing a penalty.
There’s no space in the calendar now for replays. I think it’s better for the lads who slave all year and train that the championship doesn’t end with defeat in the provincial championship. Decent trade off to going out on penalties.
YNWA

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #10984 on: May 16, 2024, 11:34:33 am »
Some of the great games I’ve seen over the years Hurling & Football were replays. I’m from Westmeath but have cousins in Dublin we’d spend a weekend with every summer and in 1991 that weekend the Dublin v Meath game was on so the old man took me and we went with our cousin, I saw that game 4 times that summer as it went to 3 replays and the old man got tickets for all of them and they were gold dust for the 3rd and 4th games. Those games have become GAA lore now and we may not see that drama again given the current structure.

I was on a J1 in Cape Cod that summer and someone sent over a tape of the Micheal O Muircheartaigh commentary for the final replay. We would get the barman to put in on in our local and play it at the end of the night.

"And Meath are LEADING! THEY'RE LEADING!"

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #10985 on: May 16, 2024, 11:45:29 am »
Armagh are the Holland of GAA penalty shootouts, even down to the same colour jerseys. Just waiting for one of them to Jaap Stam a penalty into near earth orbit for a point.

The reason we have them is that godforesaken split season bollockology which has completely ruined the rhythm of the Irish sporting summer. Just because some county boards were unable to schedule their championships as their all powerful county manager demanded that no games be played within 3 weeks of an inter-county match.  Having All Ireland finals in July is morally indefensible.

Offline Johnny Aldridge

• Kopite
« Reply #10986 on: May 16, 2024, 10:59:49 pm »
Armagh are the Holland of GAA penalty shootouts, even down to the same colour jerseys. Just waiting for one of them to Jaap Stam a penalty into near earth orbit for a point.

The reason we have them is that godforesaken split season bollockology which has completely ruined the rhythm of the Irish sporting summer. Just because some county boards were unable to schedule their championships as their all powerful county manager demanded that no games be played within 3 weeks of an inter-county match.  Having All Ireland finals in July is morally indefensible.

It makes no sense to me…. By the time the business end of things came about in August there was only 6-8 counties between the ball and hurling left in action anyways. It had no impact on the club game for all the counties gone from the championship by them. I agree Ray, the whole rhythm of the sporting summer is fucked from what it used to be.
Bill Shankly 1913-1981.

Offline Johnny Aldridge

• Kopite
« Reply #10987 on: May 17, 2024, 04:21:22 am »
I was on a J1 in Cape Cod that summer and someone sent over a tape of the Micheal O Muircheartaigh commentary for the final replay. We would get the barman to put in on in our local and play it at the end of the night.

"And Meath are LEADING! THEY'RE LEADING!"

Different times my man, I’m glad we seen them..
« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 08:42:00 pm by Johnny Aldridge »
Bill Shankly 1913-1981.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10988 on: May 17, 2024, 07:29:22 am »
I like penalties. Penalties are a skill of the game. Half the lads may have never took a 45 before and may not even have the range for it. Missing a 45 will still give the same shite feeling to the lad who missed the same as missing a penalty.
There’s no space in the calendar now for replays. I think it’s better for the lads who slave all year and train that the championship doesn’t end with defeat in the provincial championship. Decent trade off to going out on penalties.

Although I hate penalties I'm not a fan of replaying finals, the game should be settled on the day, and no one should have to suffer going to Clones 2 weeks in a row.

I'd love to see a last score wins being introduced, maybe after the 2 periods of extra time. It might also mean teams don't eat up extra time waiting for penalties and try and get the job done. Even aesthetically penalties are shite, almost everyone hits the bar low and hard. You very rarely see a panenka or something of that ilk.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #10989 on: May 19, 2024, 01:01:32 pm »
Gareth McKinless should get at least a 24 week ban for his thuggery last night. And his country board should add another 6 months on top of that. Scumbag behaviour from someone who has history against Galway.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #10990 on: May 19, 2024, 10:28:27 pm »

Turns out that was misplaced.

Offline Johnny Aldridge

• Kopite
« Reply #10991 on: May 20, 2024, 11:40:30 pm »

It feels like something is clicking in Cork at the right time.
Bill Shankly 1913-1981.

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #10992 on: May 21, 2024, 08:41:02 am »
Been in the premier 18 years and never known the level of despondency and apathy about the hurlers. One fella at work - a Man Utd fan - asked to start talking about United instead as at least he could laugh at their ineptitude. Tipp hurling was just making him sad. They're both too old and too young, and need a full rebuild. There wasn't 10,000 Tipp fans in Semple on Sunday out of 42,000.

Meanwhile, the best result of the weekend: Longford minor footballers beating Dublin in extra time to win the Leinster MFC. Would do your heart good to see the smallest county in Leinster in population terms beating the biggest.

Offline SvenJohansen

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10993 on: May 21, 2024, 08:04:52 pm »
Been in the premier 18 years and never known the level of despondency and apathy about the hurlers. One fella at work - a Man Utd fan - asked to start talking about United instead as at least he could laugh at their ineptitude. Tipp hurling was just making him sad. They're both too old and too young, and need a full rebuild. There wasn't 10,000 Tipp fans in Semple on Sunday out of 42,000.

Meanwhile, the best result of the weekend: Longford minor footballers beating Dublin in extra time to win the Leinster MFC. Would do your heart good to see the smallest county in Leinster in population terms beating the biggest.

It's going to be a long time before Tipperary are a force to be reckoned with again. I've backed Cahill to get us going but I think he's done for. He'll be gone on Sunday win or lose. I just don't know who will get the job next. I wonder would Paudie Maher be interested.