Author Topic: Sky+ HD / Sky Q Thread  (Read 166004 times)

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
Re: Sky+ HD / Sky Q Thread
« Reply #720 on: December 14, 2020, 12:39:05 pm »
Just looked at this and it seems it doesn’t include HDR at the moment. So if your TV is capable of HDR and you have another way of accessing Amazon Prime such as via an app on your TV you may get a better picture that way.

Just something to be aware of

Edit: although just having watched a bit of the boys via sky and via the app on my tv I couldn’t really see much difference
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 12:49:18 pm by Two Turtle Duvvas »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #721 on: December 16, 2020, 03:42:09 pm »
Amazon Prime Video finally being integrated into Sky Q as of today.

https://www.skygroup.sky/en-gb/article/sky-and-amazon-team-up-to-bring-their-best-entertainment-together-in-time-for-christmas

Sky making a smart move on getting everything in one place now.

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #722 on: January 2, 2021, 07:57:50 pm »
I’ve had a discounted Sky TV package for the last 18 months, but it’s going up to full price this month. I have Sky Q multiscreen and the bill will jump from £60 odd to £107.

Any advice on the best way forward? Phone and say I’m cancelling? What’s a good alternative to Sky these days anyway?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #723 on: January 2, 2021, 08:56:23 pm »
We were paying 80 odd a month, phoned up today and said we were leaving.

Got a free upgrade to SkyQ and were now paying £45 a month (we are losing kids channels, but who cares)..

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #724 on: January 3, 2021, 12:13:20 am »
I’ve had a discounted Sky TV package for the last 18 months, but it’s going up to full price this month. I have Sky Q multiscreen and the bill will jump from £60 odd to £107.

Any advice on the best way forward? Phone and say I’m cancelling? What’s a good alternative to Sky these days anyway?
As per tepid’s post phone up and say your leaving usually does the trick.

What you got for £45 a month Tepid

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #725 on: January 3, 2021, 12:15:36 am »
They’re wiser than they used to be on retentions. Know what else is out there price wise because they certainly do. They will often need to believe you are prepared to cancel your services before they’ll dish out any half decent offers.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #726 on: January 3, 2021, 06:39:58 am »

Speak to them on the phone but have your information all written down and bullshit about what the other providers have offered,also complain about new customers getting better deals.

They'll lie and say that they cannot do more,complain some more,all the while saying you'd prefer to stay but cannot as you feel cheated,then say goodbye.

Sign up with another provider,they will then contact Sky on your behalf,Sky Will then contact you and offer you what they'll say is the best they can do to try to change your mind,turn them down and ask to speak with the retentions supervisor and squeeze the bastards for every little add-on possible,try for a mobile sim and anything else they do.I

If they come up with a good deal they will then contact the isp you signed up with and cancel it on your behalf,call them up a few days later just to make sure it's been cancelled.

All sounds like a ball ache but it's worth it as it'll save you hundreds.

I do it every time and always get an amazing deal,last time I got a sim with 500 minutes,500mb and unlimited texts free,that ran out and they said I could keep it for £3pm.

Good luck and don't be afraid to sign up it means nothing as you have the cooling off period to cancel,not sure of the current deals but some have free tv's whilst others will have vouchers.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #727 on: January 3, 2021, 10:59:05 am »
Ta folks. Can’t get Virgin where I am so best alternative looks like BT’s VIP package. £65 a month and that gets you Sky Movies, Sky Sports and most of the decent Sky ents channels (Sky Atlantic, Sky One etc). Plus BT Sport channels obviously. And considering I’m paying £25 a month currently for BT Sport on top of my Sky package, might be a worthwhile option to explore.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #728 on: January 3, 2021, 11:24:37 am »
As per tepid’s post phone up and say your leaving usually does the trick.

What you got for £45 a month Tepid
Entertainment and sport and an upgrade to sky Q with no cost.

No films or bt sport, and we didn’t get multiroom as sky go is still there.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #729 on: January 3, 2021, 03:05:36 pm »
Be prepared to follow through with the cancellation though. In the past I’ve had to get right near the deadline for it ending after cancelling before they’ve phoned up and offered me a decent deal. Although at the time others were just getting handed everything for nothing it seemed so may have just been bad luck on my part  ;D

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #730 on: January 3, 2021, 03:44:58 pm »
Be prepared to follow through with the cancellation though. In the past I’ve had to get right near the deadline for it ending after cancelling before they’ve phoned up and offered me a decent deal. Although at the time others were just getting handed everything for nothing it seemed so may have just been bad luck on my part  ;D
The guy on the phone to us said to phone up and say you want to cancel at the end of the deal period and you’ll get it again..

Clearly not changed that much ;D
W

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #731 on: January 4, 2021, 12:08:22 pm »
Upgraded to Sky Q from a real old Sky HD box over the weekend.

The picture quality on my new QLED telly is remarkably better with the Q box

Watched the new David Attenborough wildlife show on BBC last night and the pictures just blew me away.

Looking forward to watching our game on it tonight. (as long as we win of course :))

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #732 on: January 4, 2021, 01:43:33 pm »
Got them down from £107 to £83 when I phoned yesterday. Decent but might go through with cancelling to see if I can get them to go lower - when you build the same package from scratch as a new customer it's only £70 a month!

Annoyingly BT Sport is quite cheap via Sky now, only £13 a month, which is more than I pay directly with BT. Tied in with them until August which is frustrating otherwise I'd try and get Sky to throw that in for me.

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #733 on: January 4, 2021, 01:56:49 pm »
My initial contact was due to go up from £55 to £89 (for everything excluding the kids channels & BT Sport).
Told them I was leaving and got them back down to £59.50 for 18 months.

Seeing as we can't actually go to Virgin Media or anything else on the Isle of Man I think that's a good result.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #734 on: January 4, 2021, 02:46:22 pm »
Got them down from £107 to £83 when I phoned yesterday. Decent but might go through with cancelling to see if I can get them to go lower - when you build the same package from scratch as a new customer it's only £70 a month!

Annoyingly BT Sport is quite cheap via Sky now, only £13 a month, which is more than I pay directly with BT. Tied in with them until August which is frustrating otherwise I'd try and get Sky to throw that in for me.
Where have you seen the BT Sport for £13 offer, and is that in HD? Just wondered if it’s a new customers only thing?

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #735 on: January 4, 2021, 02:55:28 pm »
Where have you seen the BT Sport for £13 offer, and is that in HD? Just wondered if it’s a new customers only thing?

Yeah, think it's new customer only - when you build a package from scratch, and you take Sky Sports, it drops BT Sport from £25 to £13.

When I built it all up, for £83 you could get Sky Signature, Sky Movies, Ultimate on Demand, Sky Sports, BT Sport, Multiscreen and Ultra HD. As far as I can see, BT would be in HD and can be viewed on multiple tellys.

I phoned them again there and managed to get my full package kept as is for £70 a month, so no price change.

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #736 on: January 5, 2021, 01:47:22 pm »
Yeah, think it's new customer only - when you build a package from scratch, and you take Sky Sports, it drops BT Sport from £25 to £13.

When I built it all up, for £83 you could get Sky Signature, Sky Movies, Ultimate on Demand, Sky Sports, BT Sport, Multiscreen and Ultra HD. As far as I can see, BT would be in HD and can be viewed on multiple tellys.

I phoned them again there and managed to get my full package kept as is for £70 a month, so no price change.

I need to do similar. I’ve always used the chat in the past, can’t stand waiting on a phone and talking to be honest but it seems like there is not that option anymore? Is it phone only now?

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #737 on: January 5, 2021, 02:39:39 pm »
I need to do similar. I’ve always used the chat in the past, can’t stand waiting on a phone and talking to be honest but it seems like there is not that option anymore? Is it phone only now?

I'm not sure, I always find the Chat function for these kind of companies so frustrating. Prefer speaking to someone on the phone personally, although it took ages to get through to someone yesterday. Then the person disappears for ages to 'speak to their supervisor' to keep you sweating!

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #738 on: January 5, 2021, 02:59:20 pm »

Whenever I’ve used the chat for it in the past they’ve always then wanted to speak on the phone to arrange it anyway.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #739 on: January 5, 2021, 05:50:20 pm »
I'm not sure, I always find the Chat function for these kind of companies so frustrating. Prefer speaking to someone on the phone personally, although it took ages to get through to someone yesterday. Then the person disappears for ages to 'speak to their supervisor' to keep you sweating!

Same,the only chat worth its salt is Amazon chat,it is absolutely brilliant.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #740 on: January 6, 2021, 10:29:26 pm »
Does anyone know how the f*ck to arrange an engineer call out with these? Going round in circles! Why can’t it just be a form you fill out
Online!

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #741 on: January 27, 2021, 01:16:48 am »
Do these useless gang of c*nts install dishes on a chimney? There's a row of houses within spitting distance behind mine so can't get a dish installed where it would normally need to go. Are they even doing any sort of installation at the minute anyway?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #742 on: January 27, 2021, 07:09:12 am »
Standard install engineers only install at ladder height. They do have a special heights team that come out if a different option is required.

Why are they a 'gang of useless c*unts' as you put it anyway? Firstly, Sky satellites are in pretty high up you know, the house behind would have to be pretty bloody close to interfere with a satellite signal. Secondly, even if it did, why does that make Sky useless? Did they build the house behind yours? What are you expecting here? That they move their satellites into a higher orbit for you?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 10:27:20 am by Graeme »

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #743 on: January 27, 2021, 10:48:19 am »
Do these useless gang of c*nts install dishes on a chimney? There's a row of houses within spitting distance behind mine so can't get a dish installed where it would normally need to go. Are they even doing any sort of installation at the minute anyway?

I had these come to mine yesterday and wouldn't come in the house even though I had a mask on and he was talking to me at the doorstep with no mask on. He wouldn't come in and told me to drill a hole in the house and to rearrange for them to come back and install the tv.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #744 on: January 27, 2021, 12:56:44 pm »
Standard install engineers only install at ladder height. They do have a special heights team that come out if a different option is required.

Why are they a 'gang of useless c*unts' as you put it anyway? Firstly, Sky satellites are in pretty high up you know, the house behind would have to be pretty bloody close to interfere with a satellite signal. Secondly, even if it did, why does that make Sky useless? Did they build the house behind yours? What are you expecting here? That they move their satellites into a higher orbit for you?

I used to work for them years ago, and know how much of a gang of useless c*nts they can be  :D

The house is really close. As above, you could literally spit on it from my back door. No more than 8 feet between my back door and their back yard, which is probably no more than 8 foot to their back door.

When I first moved in I booked an install and the guy that came out said the chimney was the only option. No one ever got back to me about it. That also ties in with 'gang of useless c*nts'.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #745 on: January 27, 2021, 01:05:31 pm »
Your other option is use an independent satellite installer. Get them to mount the dish with LNB and then the Sky engineer will just install the box. More expensive but you’ll probably get a more professional job.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #746 on: January 27, 2021, 01:10:25 pm »
Just had a call from someone claiming to be from the Sky Technical Department, sounded well dodgy anyone else had one recently?
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #747 on: January 27, 2021, 01:16:24 pm »
Just had a call from someone claiming to be from the Sky Technical Department, sounded well dodgy anyone else had one recently?
We had one once.  They wanted to renew our cover...

Turned out they were a dodgy company who had scam,Ed their customer lists and were trying to scam maintenance contracts
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #748 on: January 27, 2021, 01:18:53 pm »
We had one once.  They wanted to renew our cover...

Turned out they were a dodgy company who had scam,Ed their customer lists and were trying to scam maintenance contracts

It was probably something similar then, already gone onto my lists of block calls. Love these telephones.  ;D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #749 on: February 7, 2021, 01:59:09 pm »
Can anybody recommend the best replacement hdmi cable for the sky q box? I’ve got a 4K HDR TV and need a 5m cable.

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #750 on: February 8, 2021, 12:33:49 pm »
Can anybody recommend the best replacement hdmi cable for the sky q box? I’ve got a 4K HDR TV and need a 5m cable.
They're all pretty much the same, even the cheapest ones will work. (If you decide to pay £80 for a cable when a £10 one does exactly the same job then that's entirely up to you of course)
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #751 on: February 10, 2021, 06:41:02 pm »
They’re wiser than they used to be on retentions. Know what else is out there price wise because they certainly do. They will often need to believe you are prepared to cancel your services before they’ll dish out any half decent offers.

Yes they offered me nothing when I went to threaten to cancel today, so I ended up cancelling.

To be fair their base offer was similar to a new customer deal so they weren't completely taking the piss, but I'm with Virgin for broadband and their TV price offering was genuinely cheap (although I would take dealing with Sky's customer service over Virgin's any day!).

Wasn't only price though, I didn't realise the newer Sky Q boxes supported HDR, but I'm still stuck on one of the old ones.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #752 on: February 12, 2021, 02:52:59 pm »
Yes they offered me nothing when I went to threaten to cancel today, so I ended up cancelling.

To be fair their base offer was similar to a new customer deal so they weren't completely taking the piss, but I'm with Virgin for broadband and their TV price offering was genuinely cheap (although I would take dealing with Sky's customer service over Virgin's any day!).

Wasn't only price though, I didn't realise the newer Sky Q boxes supported HDR, but I'm still stuck on one of the old ones.

Yeah absolutely no comparison on the customer services between the two. Night and day.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #753 on: February 12, 2021, 03:39:19 pm »
Yeah absolutely no comparison on the customer services between the two. Night and day.

Virgin's CS is pretty uniformly awful, the only decent people I spoke to were in the outbound retentions team after you have handed your notice in.

Sky on the other hand I don't think I've ever really had a bad CS experience, just annoying they won't offer me the kind of deals I know others have managed!

I didn't get any quick response after cancelling so I guess there will be no attractive offer coming my way
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 04:10:22 pm by filopastry »

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #754 on: February 12, 2021, 06:27:53 pm »
I have to say having been with Virgin for years, Sky TV is light years ahead of them. I was fearing the worst with the internet too but it seems stable enough for me.

Happy I made the switch to be honest.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #755 on: February 12, 2021, 07:10:54 pm »
The new Virgin TV 360 boxes very good in fairness. Clean interface and the channel changes are slightly faster than Sky Q boxes. My 600Mb broadband is absolutely flawless.

That said, in a straight choice I’d still pick Sky I enjoy the comfort of knowing it’s very unlikely to break, and if it does you’ll get hold of someone quickly and easily. With Virgin it’s more like worrying if it does break because you know it’ll be a slow and painful experience resolving it.

Getting Sky in my new build was just gonna be a pain and it was pre-wired with Virgin fibre which swung it.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #756 on: February 12, 2021, 07:32:59 pm »
Yeah to be fair the box I had from virgin was that old they told me to bin it instead of returning it to them when I cancelled!

Glad you are having a good experience with them Graeme.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #757 on: February 12, 2021, 08:07:12 pm »
Well that’s the kiss of death right there lol

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #758 on: February 23, 2021, 10:59:19 am »
I finally got a decent offer from Sky, so managed to renew the contract there as well

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #759 on: February 23, 2021, 11:13:58 am »
Winner