Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3306602 times)

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #22640 on: January 4, 2020, 03:12:44 pm »
Interesting review show. I’ve still no idea what the derby line up will be. Not sure I go with the “11 changes” shout.

Offline NotTooXabi12

• NotTooCheery
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #22641 on: January 4, 2020, 05:45:29 pm »
Although the responses will be the same as usual to my post regarding Sean but has been coming out with even more bizarre things than usual on the review of late.

Dan hosting with the two Neil's would make a far better show

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22642 on: January 5, 2020, 10:19:53 am »
That was a great discussion on the weekender with Neil, Gibbo and Rory Smith.
Smith in his article is asking for rule changes but I think Neil's point was a great one - that is don't use VAR for offside and put up with the odd shocking decision (for example Sterling at the Etihad when he was playing for us).

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/29/sports/soccer/liverpool-wolves-VAR-premier-league.html

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22643 on: January 5, 2020, 10:31:17 am »
Is there an Overview show coming soon (if that is the name of the show when you look ahead to the next block of games)?

Seems like ages ago since there was one.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #22644 on: January 5, 2020, 12:17:36 pm »
Rory Smith’s point that fans just complain about everything is valid. The noise around VAR is just like the noise around refs last season. While certain gripes are legitimate, VAR is just another avenue to moan.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #22645 on: January 5, 2020, 09:21:00 pm »
TAW App isn’t working. Had trouble over past couple of days with it. A bit in and out. Works then doesn’t. Is it this virus thing?

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #22646 on: January 5, 2020, 09:43:16 pm »
Think servers may be down? Cant get on anything
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline Golden_Child

• I...I...I...Iwanttheknife......oh, serious mode? Okay. Ommmm. Give me the kniiiiiife. Ommmm. Pleeeaaaase!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Credulity is not a virtue
« Reply #22647 on: January 5, 2020, 10:19:33 pm »
Same for me again as well. Listened to the pink on the website but wanted to catch the post match pint vid  :(

Offline Byrnee

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are Magic, Everton are Tragic
« Reply #22648 on: January 5, 2020, 10:33:57 pm »
Same for me, restarted it but no joy on Android 

Edit - all sorted now, cheers!
« Last Edit: January 6, 2020, 08:45:21 am by Byrnee »
'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.'
Bill Shankly

01 06 22 23 47 64 66 73 76 77 79 80 82 83 84 86 88 90 20

77 78 81 84 05 19

At The End Of The Storm I

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22649 on: January 5, 2020, 11:06:54 pm »
Rory Smith’s point that fans just complain about everything is valid. The noise around VAR is just like the noise around refs last season. While certain gripes are legitimate, VAR is just another avenue to moan.

Thought the EFL and weekender chat about VAR was pretty spot on. Its weird no one is moaning that much anymore in cricket if there's 51% of the ball hitting leg stump for one situation and 49% for another situation that could occur the very next ball.

Looking forward to tonight's pink
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22650 on: January 6, 2020, 01:08:47 am »
Pink's up :D

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #22651 on: January 6, 2020, 11:32:24 am »

Sure, but then he panders to the moans by suggesting radical law changes to the offside rule, which feels somewhat less valid.

As did comparing moans about VAR to Brexit voters. He's a good writer, Smith, but doesn't half talk a load of waffle. His prediction that Spurs would finish above us this season case in point.
« Last Edit: January 6, 2020, 11:48:45 am by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline Alisson Wonderland

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22652 on: January 6, 2020, 11:34:37 am »
The laughing at the start of the pink pretty much summed up my reaction to the game as well  ;D

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #22653 on: January 6, 2020, 03:13:03 pm »
Sure, but then he panders to the moans by suggesting radical law changes to the offside rule, which feels somewhat less valid.

As did comparing moans about VAR to Brexit voters. He's a good writer, Smith, but doesn't half talk a load of waffle. His prediction that Spurs would finish above us this season case in point.
I think if you're paid to talk loads then you're going to come out with some whoppers at times. I think he has interesting insights and articulates them with real clarity most of the time. His general verdict of the current Liverpool side has been a tad underwhelming for a while - certainly not fulsome enough given the reality of the side's predominance. I think he's a Liverpool fan so might be over-compensating a tad.

The Brexit shout is just a bit of TAW-like humour. Like calling things 'Tory' that you think are a bit posh or rarefied. In essence, angry men that get angry about VAR are the same kind of angry men that get angry about foreigners...is what the joke is.

Offline Mactavish

• Anny Roader
« Reply #22654 on: January 6, 2020, 04:39:12 pm »
Although the responses will be the same as usual to my post regarding Sean but has been coming out with even more bizarre things than usual on the review of late.

Dan hosting with the two Neil's would make a far better show

Yeah his Review career is surely on the ropes now?

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #22655 on: January 6, 2020, 06:14:38 pm »
Thought the EFL and weekender chat about VAR was pretty spot on. Its weird no one is moaning that much anymore in cricket if there's 51% of the ball hitting leg stump for one situation and 49% for another situation that could occur the very next ball.

Looking forward to tonight's pink

What's caused the moans with VAR is all the disallowed goals for goals that look fine in real time due to the strictness of the law regarding offsides and handball in review. Fans are celebrating and then have the goal taken off them 3 minutes later for the flimsiest of offsides that even on the replay look onside. It kills the feel and flow of a game, we saw that against Wolves, even though it went in our favour.

I think Neil makes a good point regarding the dangers of changing the offside law but they can't keep VAR as it is with offsides because it's killing games. Either they have a higher burden of proof for overturning goals via VAR for offside (i.e. the whole of the player has to be ahead of the last defender which then makes it clear and obvious) or they just don't use it for offside. That saves a law change. I think with handball players are more used to now knowing they can't handle it, as most of these disallowed goals were early in the season.

VAR was sold to us as being for clear and obvious errors, not to re-ref the game and spend minutes analysing fractions. The fractions of goalline tech works in seconds.
« Last Edit: January 6, 2020, 06:19:10 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22656 on: January 6, 2020, 09:30:29 pm »
Great main show today, superb reflection off the performances and the giggles of a memorable afternoon at Anfield.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22657 on: January 6, 2020, 10:14:56 pm »
What's caused the moans with VAR is all the disallowed goals for goals that look fine in real time due to the strictness of the law regarding offsides and handball in review. Fans are celebrating and then have the goal taken off them 3 minutes later for the flimsiest of offsides that even on the replay look onside. It kills the feel and flow of a game, we saw that against Wolves, even though it went in our favour.

I think Neil makes a good point regarding the dangers of changing the offside law but they can't keep VAR as it is with offsides because it's killing games. Either they have a higher burden of proof for overturning goals via VAR for offside (i.e. the whole of the player has to be ahead of the last defender which then makes it clear and obvious) or they just don't use it for offside. That saves a law change. I think with handball players are more used to now knowing they can't handle it, as most of these disallowed goals were early in the season.

VAR was sold to us as being for clear and obvious errors, not to re-ref the game and spend minutes analysing fractions. The fractions of goalline tech works in seconds.

I don't disagree with that and I'm in favour of the equivalent of an "umpires call" to come in somehow. The hysteria is disproportionate though for what are, in essence correct decisions. It was similar when the phase of play hysteria happened about 15 years ago. If they can tweak the way VAr is used I think it'll settle down. The biggest disappointment for me is how much the media (and all of us I guess) go on about it. Lee Dixon after our 4-0 at Leicester claiming he had no choice but to talk about the (correct) handball VAR decision did it for me
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #22658 on: January 6, 2020, 10:34:25 pm »
I think Rory Smith’s probably nailed it with the ‘English football is a culture of complaining’ observation.
I don't disagree with that and I'm in favour of the equivalent of an "umpires call" to come in somehow.
I did think this might mitigate VAR, but on second thoughts we’d probably instead get endless studio debate about whether something fell into the Umpire’s Call zone, or was just outside.  There’s no way out of it, it’s just who ‘we’ are.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22659 on: January 7, 2020, 09:12:03 am »

This would just be daft.

In my opinion they should draw the line by the feet if it's outside the area, and keep it as it is inside the area (as headed goals come into play more then). I'd wager 90% of the tight disallowed goals we've seen would've been allowed using that method. Pukki v Spurs and Zaha v Southampton most recently spring to mind. When strikers are bending their run like Pukki expertly did, they're thinking and looking at their feet and their opponent's feet, not their armpit. You're not truly ahead of someone if the two things you're running on aren't.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #22660 on: January 7, 2020, 09:41:21 am »
This would just be daft.

In my opinion they should draw the line by the feet if it's outside the area, and keep it as it is inside the area (as headed goals come into play more then). I'd wager 90% of the tight disallowed goals we've seen would've been allowed using that method. Pukki v Spurs and Zaha v Southampton most recently spring to mind. When strikers are bending their run like Pukki expertly did, they're thinking and looking at their feet and their opponent's feet, not their armpit. You're not truly ahead of someone if the two things you're running on aren't.

Is that only for the competitions that have VAR though? No way an assistant referee in League 2 could manage to call that? The whole thing is a clusterfuck really.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #22661 on: January 7, 2020, 10:00:18 am »
The VAR debate has been amplified by noisy and angry punditry where we seem to have concluded that we never wanted this in the first place and that we actually likes refs making profound errors. The revisionism is absurd.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22662 on: January 7, 2020, 10:06:30 am »
Is that only for the competitions that have VAR though? No way an assistant referee in League 2 could manage to call that? The whole thing is a clusterfuck really.

I dont think it would make any difference, a linesman in L2 would just call it as they see it within the split second whilst running with a flag in their hand. It wont alter the % of wrong calls
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline BassTunedToRed

• This X-Axis goes up to 11.
  • Kopite
    • Bass Tuned To Red
« Reply #22663 on: January 7, 2020, 10:22:56 am »
The VAR debate has been amplified by noisy and angry punditry where we seem to have concluded that we never wanted this in the first place and that we actually likes refs making profound errors. The revisionism is absurd.

Agreed. Punditry being routinely reduced to assessing referee's decisions has played a part in VAR being needed.  The commentators/pundits not even knowing the rules regarding what VAR can or can't do is annoying too, as it fuels and 'informs' public opinion on it.

Offline NotTooXabi12

• NotTooCheery
  • Main Stander
« Reply #22664 on: January 7, 2020, 10:29:04 am »
Yeah his Review career is surely on the ropes now?

I see what you did there and very much like it

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22665 on: January 7, 2020, 10:57:40 am »
yeah big fan of that
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22666 on: January 7, 2020, 11:34:49 am »

Yeah I'm only talking VAR offside calls there mate. I suppose the problem then is you have different rules for different leagues. Like you say, clusterfuck. Just feels a lot more natural being called for offside if your feet ahead than your armpit and I think fans/players would be more accepting of it.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22667 on: January 7, 2020, 01:12:12 pm »
Yeah I'm only talking VAR offside calls there mate. I suppose the problem then is you have different rules for different leagues. Like you say, clusterfuck. Just feels a lot more natural being called for offside if your feet ahead than your armpit and I think fans/players would be more accepting of it.

Yeah fair enough. I'm of the opinion at the moment that they should just leave it as it is because I haven't seen any suggestions that are 100% workable yet.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22668 on: January 7, 2020, 01:13:46 pm »
I dont think it would make any difference, a linesman in L2 would just call it as they see it within the split second whilst running with a flag in their hand. It wont alter the % of wrong calls

What happens in the FA Cup so where offside rule is dependant on which ground you're playing at? I know there's goal line technology already but that doesn't require a rule change.

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22669 on: January 9, 2020, 02:34:31 am »
Gutmann's Overview is up - nice one

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22670 on: January 9, 2020, 08:23:23 am »
What happens in the FA Cup so where offside rule is dependant on which ground you're playing at? I know there's goal line technology already but that doesn't require a rule change.

I dont see how it requires different rules in different leagues or non VAR rules. How do linesman make these calls in the first place? Its just a slight difference. 
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #22671 on: January 9, 2020, 08:32:13 am »
Mike Nevin has been on Twitter complaining about being excommunicated from TAW with no real explanation or contact. Nevin was a very strong contributor, particularly the history shows. A real expert on the stuff. As I have posted before, I found his take on Klopp and more contemporary topics significantly out of step with how I saw things. His Twitter persona was also a little off colour at times compared to the person we hear speak so brilliantly and lovingly about the reds on the history shows. His absence has pretty much meant an end to those shows from what I can see. That's a real shame.

However, while Nevin speaks out about his exclusion from content, TAW have remained silent on the issue - as is their prerogative. In fact, for them to have acted as they have they must feel that they have just cause. They won't have arbitrarily binned-off one of their most heralded contributors for the fun of it. My point is that the noise around this is a bit one-sided and might need taking with a pinch of salt. I'm sure there are two-sides. It's just that we may not ever know both sides.

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #22672 on: January 9, 2020, 11:38:48 am »
Yeah it was all a bit odd on twitter yesterday when Mike was RT a load of comments from people missing him from TAW.

I liked some of his contributions alongside the older chaps like Ian and Rob but he did seem to be dead set against Klopp for ages. Which is his right, but I did find it odd at times.

A real shame about the history shows and hopefully they can sort it all out.

As an aside Mike was involved in Reds Bet. Did TAW ever say why they ceased being partnered with them? Was it just at the end of the deal? 2onder if there is a link there perhaps?
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline Mactavish

• Anny Roader
« Reply #22673 on: January 9, 2020, 03:17:16 pm »
Mike Nevin has been on Twitter complaining about being excommunicated from TAW with no real explanation or contact. Nevin was a very strong contributor, particularly the history shows. A real expert on the stuff. As I have posted before, I found his take on Klopp and more contemporary topics significantly out of step with how I saw things. His Twitter persona was also a little off colour at times compared to the person we hear speak so brilliantly and lovingly about the reds on the history shows. His absence has pretty much meant an end to those shows from what I can see. That's a real shame.

However, while Nevin speaks out about his exclusion from content, TAW have remained silent on the issue - as is their prerogative. In fact, for them to have acted as they have they must feel that they have just cause. They won't have arbitrarily binned-off one of their most heralded contributors for the fun of it. My point is that the noise around this is a bit one-sided and might need taking with a pinch of salt. I'm sure there are two-sides. It's just that we may not ever know both sides.

I think he's, sorely, sorely missed.

It's all far too young for me now.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22674 on: January 9, 2020, 03:59:49 pm »
I miss his contributions, I'm a similar vintage and from a similar area so I get where he's coming from.

I did struggle with the Klopp rationale which seemed to be based on him being lauded or getting a free pass from criticism before he'd achieved anything. I think what may have rankled was the stick Rafa had to put up with from inside and outside the fanbase.

I loved Rafa, and hated the way he was treated, but I could see early on that Klopp had what it took and that he was making progress. In fact he was making progress with the squad that finished the 14/15 season with a whimper. It was seeing some of the impatience that was beginning to surface occasionally on here in around 2016 that motivated me to stop lurking and start posting.

My view then was that if another good man and manager was hounded out by a baying entitled mob, then I would be done with all this. Fortunately that didn't happen, but we've seen what a succession of managers hounded out by a baying mob at very close quarters over the last few years.....

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22675 on: January 9, 2020, 05:23:12 pm »
I dont see how it requires different rules in different leagues or non VAR rules. How do linesman make these calls in the first place? Its just a slight difference.

Slight difference equates to different rules though?

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22676 on: January 9, 2020, 08:13:31 pm »
They won't have arbitrarily binned-off one of their most heralded contributors for the fun of it.

How do you know that Fitzy?

Mike was on here discussing this a few pages ago.

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=279444.msg16856142#msg16856142
« Last Edit: January 9, 2020, 08:17:17 pm by royhendo »
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22677 on: January 9, 2020, 10:17:28 pm »
Dan Austin on Adama Traore was a bit weird. Fair enough not rating him, but he was absolutely adamant that he "barely plays, not even a starter for them."

Amazing how opinions can be formed from complete nonsense, because a quick check shows he's featured in 20 of 21 league games and started all but three of them. Presumably he thinks the same about Salah, who's only featured in 17 league games this season.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22678 on: January 9, 2020, 10:19:07 pm »
Mike's contributions sorely missed. He shits on most of them in terms of substance and knowledge.

Offline Learpholl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22679 on: January 10, 2020, 09:53:59 am »
Dan Austin on Adama Traore was a bit weird. Fair enough not rating him, but he was absolutely adamant that he "barely plays, not even a starter for them."

Dan Morgan*