Author Topic: Jonjo Shelvey  (Read 81630 times)

Offline Dirk18Kuyt

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Reds confirm Shelvey sale to Swansea City
« Reply #160 on: July 3, 2013, 07:22:17 pm »
Yet you're on here saying its a ridiculous and awful deal, when you have no idea how he will develop in the future..

Exactly. I just think because he's 21 it's impossible to already say he's 'tailed off', he's got 12 years of football left at least. 'He got worse last season' if anything he was great at the start of last season then stopped being played as much and was nowhere near as good in 2/3 games later on, that was all. Same with Sterling really. Shouldn't sell a player that young when yes he's not shown consistently good form but he's not been totally crap either. Far from it.

Offline Akalasa

• Anny Roader
« Reply #161 on: July 3, 2013, 07:25:09 pm »
Exactly. I just think because he's 21 it's impossible to already say he's 'tailed off', he's got 12 years of football left at least. 'He got worse last season' if anything he was great at the start of last season then stopped being played as much and was nowhere near as good in 2/3 games later on, that was all. Same with Sterling really. Shouldn't sell a player that young when yes he's not shown consistently good form but he's not been totally crap either. Far from it.

If you really don't think you can deem whether a player is good enough for a club like Liverpool by the time they are 21, go and read what PoP posted in the Shelvey thread in the transfer forum, it's incredibly informative.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: July 3, 2013, 07:26:40 pm »

How about because there are other players with more potential ahead of him in all the positions he would be playing in? He wouldn't be able to develop and fulfill his potential as he wouldn't get the playing time required. He has been inconsistent and given plenty of opportunities in the first team to prove his worth. When we wanted him to step up, he regressed. We've made a fair judgement call, and the cash we're getting would be better invested in someone who will actually challenge for a first team position.

Nothing against Shelvey, but he was never going to make it here considering our current squad. And it's far from "ridiculous" and "awful" as you put it.
« Last Edit: July 3, 2013, 07:29:22 pm by Melbred »

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #163 on: July 3, 2013, 07:31:43 pm »
Exactly. I just think because he's 21 it's impossible to already say he's 'tailed off', he's got 12 years of football left at least. 'He got worse last season' if anything he was great at the start of last season then stopped being played as much and was nowhere near as good in 2/3 games later on, that was all.

Look, Brendan Rodgers and his coaching staff know Jonjo as a player better then you or I. So if they feel that he isn't the right type of player they need to take the side forward then I think we should trust their judgement.

Offline nyrrard

• Anny Roader
  • at the end of the storm there's a Golden sky!
« Reply #164 on: July 3, 2013, 07:32:30 pm »
Always had high hopes for Shelvey, and I still have.
Did not seem to fancy the Rodgers-style of play,
and to be honest he did not look to good when playing.

Its a little sad, as i saw him becoming our new beast in midfield.
How little I know....

Oh, and good luck!

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #165 on: July 3, 2013, 07:41:14 pm »

You'd think after the equivalent of 48 full matches at a truly competitive level, the manager and staff would have some idea about where he's at and where he's heading though? What's the point of holding onto him to trudge out for the reserves as our eighth choice midfielder? He's had three years here, he's had a really good crack of the whip, he's had a chance to cement himself into the first team and, for whatever reason, it hasn't happened. Agree with wickedbark in my own little substandard way, I think in a few years time with a lot of regular games there'll be some interest in him from a few decent teams. Has every appearance of being a player who'll hit a point in his career and something will click in his head and he'll have a few very decent seasons for someone. In the meantime, he isn't where he needs to be for us now, he hasn't done enough to hold down a first team place in spite of being given the opportunity, doesn't look like holding down even a place in the matchday squad over the next few seasons, and the manager obviously feels that selling him now is the right call in getting us moving forwards in the shorter term rather than looking six or seven years down the line and hoping that he'll eventually come right. Let Swansea take that risk now. Isn't this sort of decision precisely how players brought in at a young-ish age to us is meant to be done? If they're great, brilliant, if they just fail to make the grade required, wish them well and move them on, hopefully with a wee bit extra to put back into the next one.

Do get the feeling at times some of ours are locked into this perpetual depressive cycle where everything is wrong, always will be, can't change, never will change. Is it fear of being wrong? Covering your arse in case some twat five years down the line goes through your post history? (Disclosure: I thought Anderson had a chance of being a really decent winger, he's currently at Bristol City). Don't get it. Thought Kris Walsh's piece on Jonjo was very fair and had none of the misty-eyed guff being bandied about. And, yes, my toys will still come out of the pram when Reina goes. Never claimed to not be a hypocrite.

Good luck to Jonjo. Hope he gets a good reception every time he returns to Anfield.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline TheBazz

• tardzz keepz deleting my poztzzzzzz! Blazzphemy! Blazzpheryou! Blazzphereverybody on the forumzzzzzz!
  • Kopite
  • It's the Bazz!
« Reply #166 on: July 3, 2013, 07:43:13 pm »
Best of look to the bloke, genuinely hope he succeeds and becomes a brilliant player. Heads in the right place hopefully his skill catches him up
@KevinHenshaw1 (not the professional wakeboarder).

Offline Reese

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: July 3, 2013, 07:45:38 pm »
As others have said, I can only wish him the best in his future career and thank him for his time here.

But at the same time its ridiculous to see how many people are moaning about this transfer. He's our 2nd least skilled and suitable (putting it politely) midfielder, with the 1st even more likely to leave. There's nothing sentimental about it.

All of us dream we could wear the famous red; but we don't because we only want the best for Liverpool.

He had his chance but didn't take it. I thank him for his service and look forward to our future with better players. (Which we've already brought in)

Offline Seagull Dave

• Main Stander
« Reply #168 on: July 3, 2013, 07:49:32 pm »
he was never gonna make it here not ever he quite simply wasnt good enough for a side who aspires to be in the top 4.

Great business by the club
JFT96 Dont Buy The Sun

Offline Butter Keks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: July 3, 2013, 07:52:43 pm »
Good luck to Jonjo and I'm a little sad to see him leave but to be honest this is a decent bit of business by the club. Shelvey has been shocking the last few times he was on the pitch and probably felt the frustration of the fans as he fucked up multiple goal scoring chances.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #170 on: July 3, 2013, 07:55:23 pm »
Good luck to the lad and quality from him with his comments. Liked him. Not sure binning him is the right move.

Won't be the only player to leave the club in coming seasons for the lure of European football..
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: July 3, 2013, 08:00:54 pm »
Andy attention seeking again.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #172 on: July 3, 2013, 08:02:07 pm »

Offline JollyRedHuman

• Main Stander
« Reply #173 on: July 3, 2013, 08:04:43 pm »
Ai, I liked Jonjo. Good luck you bald lion.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: July 3, 2013, 08:04:57 pm »
He wont be guaranteed aa place at Swansea but he will at least know that he can be closer to first team. Maybe this will lead him to not try so hard. Think he has big potential. Good luck to him

Offline Tomo!

• Shit post editor! Will be giving his wife one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: July 3, 2013, 08:06:53 pm »
Andy attention seeking again.

Look @ me
Google messi topless on holiday. Now look at david silva, villa, iniesta, xavi, they have the upper bodies of little boys.

Offline brownie 09

• Long-winded.....but never mind :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • twitter - brownie09RAWK
« Reply #176 on: July 3, 2013, 08:09:37 pm »
some of you need to learn to have a laugh sometimes.

Good luck to shelvey anyway hopefully does well for them.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #177 on: July 3, 2013, 08:15:37 pm »
Nothing personal, but good riddance.
Got to love our fans uh...wow!
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #178 on: July 3, 2013, 08:19:32 pm »
Agree with Zeb

People always looking for something negative. As with Carroll, we've sold someone who doesn't fit into our system, got good money to bring in players who do, they've left to decent sides and they've left respectfully. It's good for all parties. Just wish the lad well and move on to the exciting youngsters we've bought in this summer.

I like Shelvey, good attitude but again he just doesn't suit how we play. It's possible for a kid to need a move to get a new start. I bet a good amount of people moaning that we sold Jonjo also moaned when we signed Coutinho.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Kopout

• Should really just Logout......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: July 3, 2013, 08:23:46 pm »
that was bit quick wasn't it? may be we should have waited and had bidding war could have got 2m more from them.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #180 on: July 3, 2013, 08:27:30 pm »
that was bit quick wasn't it? may be we should have waited and had bidding war could have got 2m more from them.

It was probably done quickly out of respect for Shelvey - "we can't offer you any guarantees of minutes, and you might be way down the pecking order. But if anyone comes in for you with a decent price, we'll get it done quickly, no haggling, and you can get the earliest start possible with your new team".

So the price wasn't too high, but was respectable

No bidding war, so Shelvey isn't left in no-mans-land for a few weeks

Shelvey gets to start on time with his preparations

We get some quick cash to put towards other things

Both parties walk away happy.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline will2003

• Legacy Fan
  • God and a Legend
« Reply #181 on: July 3, 2013, 08:27:46 pm »
Hope if he comes good we have first option to buy at a sensible price! Good luck Jon Jo hope it works out at Swansea just not against us!
"We gave the fans their pride - again. We fought for the fans, we fought for the club and we fought for our players." - Legend

Online Mercer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: July 3, 2013, 08:29:59 pm »
Nothing personal, but good riddance.

Nice.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: July 3, 2013, 08:31:01 pm »
Goodbye Jonjo and good luck at Swansea
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Online stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #184 on: July 3, 2013, 08:32:28 pm »
Good luck Jonjo. Hope that you get a good run in the first team and can show your ability.....but not against us.
#JFT97

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: July 3, 2013, 08:32:38 pm »
Hope they tested his eye-sight before he left. Clearly gifted. That rocket that hit the post versus United (before getting sent off)? Inches. Too mercurial for what we require at first team level. Hope he does well. A likable character.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

« Reply #186 on: July 3, 2013, 08:33:43 pm »
For me it is the fact he is still young and  he needs games to improve, this will be the situation with any young player. We seem quite happy to give up on them or switch them for another player with potential rather than coach and develop them.

We keep bringing in these young players so we have to give them the best chance of developing, were not.
The fact is its a fine balance developing youngsters and remaining competitive at the same time, the ones who cannot cope will need to be loaned or sold and more talented youngsters will come in. I don't know if Jonjo has what it takes to play for a top 4 team in the long run, I'm willing to bet he does but the scouts think Alberto has a better chance or maybe is a better fit for us. Ideally we would have loaned Jonjo to drive up his value like we did with Carroll but if 5M now is the difference between getting our first or second choice target to improve the first 11 then there's really no doubt we've made the right decision

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: July 3, 2013, 08:34:09 pm »

6m now might be worth more than 8m in late August.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: July 3, 2013, 08:36:27 pm »
The fact is its a fine balance developing youngsters and remaining competitive at the same time, the ones who cannot cope will need to be loaned or sold and more talented youngsters will come in. I don't know if Jonjo has what it takes to play for a top 4 team in the long run, I'm willing to bet he does but the scouts think Alberto has a better chance or maybe is a better fit for us. Ideally we would have loaned Jonjo to drive up his value like we did with Carroll but if 5M now is the difference between getting our first or second choice target to improve the first 11 then there's really no doubt we've made the right decision

Gnurgian has the best description of the type of squad we should be aiming for. We should use that as the model, and if the follow through logic says that a player has to go, then it's probably the right decision.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: July 3, 2013, 08:37:25 pm »
Hope they tested his eye-sight before he left. Clearly gifted. That rocket that hit the post versus United (before getting sent off)? Inches. Too mercurial for what we require at first team level. Hope he does well. A likable character.

"Mercurial"

Probably the best word to describe him. Capable of brilliant things, but not consistently enough to warrant a first team place at a club with top four ambitions right now.

When he does good things, they are really good. The rate at which you have to keep doing those things, though, increases the higher the level you play. Swansea is a good move for him because those moments - like at Blackpool - will endear him to the fans. He'll get his minutes (and many of them), he'll score some goals, and he'll be a fan favourite.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: July 3, 2013, 08:39:27 pm »
"Mercurial"

Probably the best word to describe him. Capable of brilliant things, but not consistently enough to warrant a first team place at a club with top four ambitions right now.

When he does good things, they are really good. The rate at which you have to keep doing those things, though, increases the higher the level you play. Swansea is a good move for him because those moments - like at Blackpool - will endear him to the fans. He'll get his minutes (and many of them), he'll score some goals, and he'll be a fan favourite.

Shelvey is a younger Charlie Adam.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #191 on: July 3, 2013, 08:40:06 pm »
Shelvey is a younger Charlie Adam.

Tad harsh.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #192 on: July 3, 2013, 08:40:35 pm »
some of you need to learn to have a laugh sometimes.

Good luck to shelvey anyway hopefully does well for them.

Humour is an unknown concept to some of our fans :D

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #193 on: July 3, 2013, 08:41:49 pm »
Really liked this lad. Wish all the best for him.

As mentioned by others, best for all parties involved most likely. Jonjo gets more time on the pitch, Swansea get a good player, and we get decent money for a player in which position we have better (suited) players.

All the best Jonjo. YNWA!

Edit: Along with slagging off red nose, that pass that set up Suarez (was it Fulham away?) will be my best memories of him.
« Last Edit: July 3, 2013, 08:43:25 pm by telekon »
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline Litmanen10

• Kopite
  • Genious
« Reply #194 on: July 3, 2013, 08:41:53 pm »
I think it might prove to be a mistake. I really liked this kid, all the best Jonjo.
Jesus saves...But GOD scores from the rebound!!

Offline princeoftherocks

• Legacy Fan
  • black sheep scouse
« Reply #195 on: July 3, 2013, 08:44:11 pm »
still young with loads of potential.  Am really gonna miss his drunken brawl scowl and will be watching him at Swansea with some interest. 
dios esta buena

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: July 3, 2013, 08:45:28 pm »
Really sad with this sale. Wish him the best of luck & will be watching him closely at Swansea.

Offline simonk80

• Boys Pen
« Reply #197 on: July 3, 2013, 08:45:31 pm »
The general opinion seems to be that we have bought a good player, who, with a little more maturity and good coaching, could become a great player. The consensus here is one of anticipation and excitement. We feel Jon will be a great addition to our team/squad. Look out for his 25 yard screamer against Man U first game of the season! :)

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: July 3, 2013, 08:46:18 pm »
I think it might prove to be a mistake. I really liked this kid, all the best Jonjo.

Who is more likely to be playing Champions League football within the next few years - Coutinho, or Shelvey?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #199 on: July 3, 2013, 08:46:33 pm »
The general opinion seems to be that we have bought a good player, who, with a little more maturity and good coaching, could become a great player. The consensus here is one of anticipation and excitement. We feel Jon will be a great addition to our team/squad. Look out for his 25 yard screamer against Man U first game of the season! :)

Think you've got a good buy there. He's a bit off his head at times, but gives it loads. Going to be a good player - and he's English which is a bit of a rarity.