Author Topic: WhoScored partner with The S*n  (Read 6695 times)

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
WhoScored partner with The S*n
« on: July 21, 2016, 02:36:58 pm »
Just a quick heads up. Football stats website WhoScored have partnered with The S*n

https://twitter.com/MrAcconci/status/756054871447658496

Please unfollow them and don't use their website/stats anymore. Squawka are a better alternative  :wave
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
Re: WhoScored partner with The S*n
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 02:47:55 pm »
Just a quick heads up. Football stats website WhoScored have partnered with The S*n

https://twitter.com/MrAcconci/status/756054871447658496

Please unfollow them and don't use their website/stats anymore. Squawka are a better alternative  :wave

Done.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 02:57:05 pm »
I've re-tweeted that tweet with a message saying that it's with that cancerous rag.

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 02:57:59 pm »
Unfollowed on Twitter, cheers for the heads up.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 03:10:56 pm »
Was it them, or one of the other stats sites, who did this last year and backed out of it after the backlash?

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 03:22:13 pm »
Please unfollow them and don't use their website/stats anymore.
Never heard of them, never used them = winning without trying ;D ;D ;D ;D :wave

Offline Mad Max

• Propa bad Wool. tried it just for once found it all right for kicks. but now you found out that it's a habit that sticks.
  • Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 03:46:50 pm »
Never heard of them, never used them = winning without trying ;D ;D ;D ;D :wave

Same here.

Offline Redinho

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 04:44:24 pm »
Thanks for the heads up, will no longer be using their website or resources.

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 04:58:36 pm »
Never used this platform.

Offline JSteve

• Channelling Baldrick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 06:05:08 pm »
Shame. Liked their layout.

Squawka is better anyway.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2016, 06:14:19 pm »
Used to check them out every now and then, will stop doing that after reading this...

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2016, 06:39:17 pm »
Shame liked the site. Guess he didnt get the reaction he expected & trying to backtrack a little.  ::)

Cristiano Acconci ‏@MrAcconci  7h7 hours ago
WhoScored are simply powering a fantasy game, and will with many other companies worldwide.

Cristiano Acconci ‏@MrAcconci  6h6 hours ago
Cristiano Acconci
All leagues

Offline Thush

• Spawwow, Tit. Anal Chat is "Equidistant between chit-chat and analysis"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's pronounced "Toosh"
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2016, 06:58:06 pm »
Thanks for the info. Have deleted my bookmark and added Squawka instead.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 07:08:13 pm »
Well that's them off my stats source of info.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline Crouch Potato

• Srofa spud!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 07:27:31 pm »
Pity, i used them a lot, not again tho.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2016, 06:35:38 am »
Wankers, it was my go to website for results.

Dead to me
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2016, 06:58:24 am »
Soon to be rebranded WhoScoredAnOwnGoal
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2016, 12:30:53 am »
Bump
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline EnfieldRed

• Main Stander
  • Where's the beef?
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2016, 06:04:38 pm »
Thanks, never would have seen this. Deleted app and won't read their articles any more.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2017, 04:00:43 pm »
Looks like this needs another bump

There are alternative stats websites to use

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2017, 12:12:09 am »
I saw reference to this on the Hendo thread. Purely a personal opinion but I think this really comes under personal choice. If you don't want to use it and want to make others aware of the connection that's great, but it shouldn't necessarily be a 'be all and end all' thing in the same way as buying or linking to the rag itself.

WhoScored works with a lot of media partners - they have a regular column on the Guardian website for instance - it's not an exclusive partnership or an ownership thing, and they seem to have a good deal of stats you can't get on Squawka or Statszone. I don't mind not linking to them on here but if you aren't going to boycott Sky Sports, which is still headed up by the same person who owned the rag in 1989 and who (as far as I'm aware) still hasn't apologised for the Hillborough coverage, why is something with a much more tenuous connection an absolute taboo?

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2017, 12:18:17 am »
There isn't a boycott of Rupert Murdoch, or a boycott of Sky Sports (although I, like others do try to avoid anything associated with the c*nt), but there is a boycott of the Sun. That generally means anything to do with the shit stained rag. Whoscored and talksport promote the rag, so my boycott now extends to them. Also Newcastle horse racing. (Not that they'll give a fuck, but personal choice, I won't bet on races held there).

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2017, 02:24:04 am »
What is the nature of their partnership with the Sun?

From what I can gather, it's just that the Sun's dream team or whatever that is will be based on whoscored stats? Is that it?
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2017, 04:10:07 am »
I saw reference to this on the Hendo thread. Purely a personal opinion but I think this really comes under personal choice. If you don't want to use it and want to make others aware of the connection that's great, but it shouldn't necessarily be a 'be all and end all' thing in the same way as buying or linking to the rag itself.

WhoScored works with a lot of media partners - they have a regular column on the Guardian website for instance - it's not an exclusive partnership or an ownership thing, and they seem to have a good deal of stats you can't get on Squawka or Statszone. I don't mind not linking to them on here but if you aren't going to boycott Sky Sports, which is still headed up by the same person who owned the rag in 1989 and who (as far as I'm aware) still hasn't apologised for the Hillborough coverage, why is something with a much more tenuous connection an absolute taboo?

I think it's a worthwhile discussion, but I draw the line because last I checked the guy who runs it is supposed to be a Liverpool fan, and he apologised and cancelled their partnership last season, clearly realising it wasn't ok. Then they went ahead with it again this year
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2017, 09:11:24 am »
What is the nature of their partnership with the Sun?

From what I can gather, it's just that the Sun's dream team or whatever that is will be based on whoscored stats? Is that it?

Does it matter if that's 'just' it?

They have a direct partnership with the Scum, as a football website, with full knowledge of the shite they've done.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2017, 11:55:16 am »

They have a direct partnership with the Scum, as a football website, with full knowledge of the shite they've done.

I can see your argument, but "partnership" in this case seems that Sun are going to use data from whoscored. But the data is non-exclusive and there really doesn't appear to be much of a partnership as such.

I'm happy to stand corrected but I couldn't find any mention of the Sun on the whoscored website either.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2017, 12:13:41 pm »
Yeah can't see any mention of a direct partnership either, I'm happy to be proven wrong if anyone has a link to share.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2017, 12:23:26 pm »

Your right, however sky football also partnered with the rag last season so should we go a step further and ban anything sky related? Personally I wouldn't be arsed but obviously that means we have to basically bin football, Klopp has to talk to sly sports our games are shown on there, but since they partnered with the rag it's pretty unacceptable no?

It's easy to boycott the rag and it should be boycotted, however it's harder to completely avoid everything it's ever been involved with, which is pretty much everything, the food you eat, for example, they've probably had promotions which are partnerships with major food distributors, car manufacturers, travel providers, sources of entertainment, Apple, Sony, them parks, Alton Towers, Thorpe Park, the list would be pretty comprehensive.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 12:30:59 pm by Upinsmoke »

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2017, 02:36:04 pm »
NBC who covers the Premier League here in America has Neil Ashton (The head writer for the S*n) as their person in the know who breaks all the exclusive news to their programs.

They had him cover the Merseyside derby from Goodison and also showed him sitting at Anfield for our game vs Man City, which surprised me as I thought the club doesn't talk to the reporters of that rag at all.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2017, 02:39:42 pm »
I can see your argument, but "partnership" in this case seems that Sun are going to use data from whoscored. But the data is non-exclusive and there really doesn't appear to be much of a partnership as such.

I'm happy to stand corrected but I couldn't find any mention of the Sun on the whoscored website either.
Yeah can't see any mention of a direct partnership either, I'm happy to be proven wrong if anyone has a link to share.

Not linking to it. But just Google - Whoscored The Sun

Very first link

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2017, 02:41:28 pm »
NBC who covers the Premier League here in America has Neil Ashton (The head writer for the S*n) as their person in the know who breaks all the exclusive news to their programs.

They had him cover the Merseyside derby from Goodison and also showed him sitting at Anfield for our game vs Man City, which surprised me as I thought the club doesn't talk to the reporters of that rag at all.

Not directly they don't. But I don't think they're allowed to ban the paper from the club. Maybe certain journos, but then they'll just send another one.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2017, 03:26:12 pm »

There's a Liverpool "fan" who is a journo for them too and he still regularly goes the game and makes sarcastic comments about the boycott on Facebook

Wish the club would ban him

Online Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2017, 04:18:42 pm »
If you're on Facebook, you might want to swerve GiveMeSport.COM.   :wanker

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2017, 04:26:16 pm »
I don't use any of those sites, in fact I've not heard of them.

I will spread the word though to avoid the c*nts.  It's a pleasure.