Author Topic: Gomorrah - TV Series [No Spoilers]  (Read 99130 times)

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
Re: Gomorrah - TV Series [No Spoilers]
« Reply #680 on: December 21, 2021, 07:28:24 pm »
The most menacing character in it isn’t a person, but Naples itself

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #681 on: December 22, 2021, 11:15:15 am »
Spoiler
I had no idea it was the final season. Was gutted when Genny got shot but then for Ciro to go as well. It was the perfect full-stop to a great series.

I've always loved how the music marked different points to each episode.
[close]
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #682 on: December 23, 2021, 03:34:00 pm »
Just finished season 5. Absolutely gutted there won't be another series. What a journey. One of the greatest tv series ever made. The quality of the different soundtracks as well is next level and can't be touched imo.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #683 on: December 23, 2021, 10:36:12 pm »
Loved the show as a whole. Slightly disappointed with the ending. Was kind of obvious it'd finish that way.

What a rubbish name Lil Monk was ;D

Online red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #684 on: December 25, 2021, 03:43:53 am »
I just finished it tonight. I've watched a lot of shows, and I am very confident that this is the only one that belongs next to "Deadwood" on the very top of the pantheon. The full realization of Italian neorealist ideals. A masterpiece.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Online 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #685 on: January 3, 2022, 11:50:01 pm »
Finally got round to finishing this series. A worthy ending to a brilliant show.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #686 on: January 4, 2022, 10:02:48 am »
Loved the show as a whole. Slightly disappointed with the ending. Was kind of obvious it'd finish that way.

What a rubbish name Lil Monk was ;D

Suited it with that fucking hair style though

The whole show up there with The Wire/Sopranos/Spiral for sheer quality throughout

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #687 on: January 11, 2022, 07:53:28 pm »
Finished it last night and loved it...the show as a whole was up there with the cream of the TV crop....sort of in mourning now knowing that it's finito...arrivederci...off you pop  :(

if anyone knows how i can watch the Sky Documentary 'A Story Called Gomorrah'...without having Sky...giz a shout
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #688 on: January 16, 2022, 09:11:33 pm »
Ok. So I`m in the middle of season 4. Thought season 1 and 2 were brilliant, classic stuff really up with as good as it gets. Still think it`s a great show, but I just can`t buy that Enzo character as a believable person. Think he`s a really poor actor which is really weird. It`s like they`ve put a Fast and the furious actor into The Wire. We go from Pietro and Conte who were characters/actors with huge personalities to that fraud.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 09:22:17 pm by Raaphael »

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #689 on: January 28, 2022, 02:01:39 pm »
season 5 is on HBO Max stateside.

Tutto a posto
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #690 on: January 28, 2022, 02:40:40 pm »
Watched the whole thing now and here are my thoughts:

The first two seasons are absolute classics. I caught myself thinking that it was even better than The Wire. Great acting, gritty, great plot. As good as tv gets. People talk about Breaking Bad(which I like, but still think is hyped), but this is better.  For anyone who hasn`t seen it, watch season 1 and 2. I dare you to come up with anything better in tv history. The Wire was the benchmark for me- I think those two seasons overtakes it. 

I think something changes from season 3. Still great, but different, and some parts that I think are not as great.

First of all, some(most) of the best actors die in the first couple of seasons. I also think the style of the show somewhat changes. In the first couple of seasons there are great normal conversations between characters about daily stuff, like which sofa the Savestanos are going to have, that one of the guy`s shoes are ugly or what the meaning of Facebook is. I think that make those episodes very realistic, almost gives it a documentary feel. Kind of.

From season 3 there`s more of a cinematic feel. Not so gritty. It looks great and the plot is still strong, but it seems like every character needs to say something "meaningful" ,philosophical, powerful and deep in every conversation. The dialogue is more pompous.  I don`t think people really talk like that. While in season 1 and 2, I don`t get the feel that people act, I get that from season 3. I`m not a fan of that Sangue Blue character. Tries so hard to be a ruthless character, but the weight of him compared to for instance Pietro Savestano is laughable. The actor who plays Pietro is a badass,the scary personality is very believable. Sangue Blue and his crew dont`t feel anything Gommora-or streetlike to me compared to the hotheads like (what`s his name) O-track from the first seasons. I would believe those characters would try to stab me at an away Napoli game. The Sangue Blue crew I`d believe could serve me cappuccino at a coffe house.

Sangue Blue, for such a big character in some of the seasons, I caught myself not caring for him and wishing him dead just so he wouldn`t take up so much time in the show . And first and foremost, I didn`t find him believable as an intimitating person. Too stylized. If I met him in a dark alley I would think I could take him. I wouldn`t do that with Pietro Savestano. He could probably choke me to death. Or Conte. He would probably do something cool that caught me off guard. Skinny frame, but still believable as a intimitating person because of his aura. 

I think the plot is weaker at the end of the show(some decisions in the Ciro/Genna relationship are thin)and some of the actors aren`t that great either. I think Genny overall were greater in the first seasons, though it`s a hard thing to make the transition he does from the son of a mafia boss to being one himself. He has a tough job. Ciro himself at the end has too many moments where he smokes a cigarette, looks intensely in the air and says too much deep shit like he`s Jesus.

Still, I binged this show, was hooked from episode to episode and it was a beautiful journey that made me want to travel to Napoli and buy a Vespa. Overall, I think this is one, if not the best tv show ever made.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 02:39:36 pm by Raaphael »

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #691 on: January 28, 2022, 03:01:19 pm »
Watched the whole thing now and here are my thoughts:

The first two seasons are absolute classics. I caught myself thinking that it was even better than The Wire. Great acting, gritty, great plot. As good as tv gets. People talk about Breaking Bad(and I like that), but this is better. 

I think something changes from season 3. Still great, but different, and some parts that I think are not as great.

First of all, some of the best actors die in the first couple of seasons. I also think the style of the show somewhat changes. In the first couple of seasons there are great normal conversations between characters about daily stuff, like which sofa the Savestanos are going to have, that one of the guy`s shoes are ugly or what the meaning of Facebook is. I think that make those episodes very realistic, almost gives it a documentary feel. Kind of.

From season 3 there`s more of a cinematic feel. It looks great and the plot is still strong, but it seems like every character needs to say something "meaningful". Some of the dialogue is more pompous.  don`t people really talk like that. I`m not a fan of that Sangue Blue character. Doesn`t feel anything Gommora-or street like to me about him compared to the hotheads like (what`s his name) O-track from the first seasons. For such a big character in some of the seasons, I caught myself not caring for him and wishing him dead. Didn`t feel very dangerous to me.

I think the plot is weaker at the end of the show and some of the actors aren`t that great either. Still, overall, I still think this is one, if not the best tv show ever made.

Agree with all this, it was magnificent in the first 2 seasons but never quite hit those heights as the show went on.
Stefano Sollima (who came from directing Romanzo Crimanale) was the main director for S1/S2 and then dropped out, and you can see the dip in the quality. The first two seasons were also based more on Saviano's book and the real life Di Lauro clan.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #692 on: January 28, 2022, 06:09:49 pm »
Yes, I watched ZeroZeroZero right after, and I believe he`s involved in that. He is really talented.

Offline Canada Loves Anfield

• Everything you do is a balloon
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Liverpool FC - Toronto Supporters Club: http://lfctoronto.com/

Online SvenJohansen

• Fast single-handed action expert.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #694 on: January 28, 2022, 07:46:31 pm »
I agree with a lot of what you said there Raaphael. You didn't mention season 4, did you watch that? I went say anything about it in case you didn't. The first seasons are brilliant but like you I wasn't as impressed with season 3. In the months before season 5 came out I decided to rewatch them all again but when I got to season 3 I stopped. Sangue Blue and his crew really annoyed the hell out of me. I didn't want to go through watching them again. I did start season 5 about a month ago and got two episodes in but I have paused just for a while. I will go back to it though. Sometimes I just don't feel like reading subtitles. When I'm finished the show I'm watching now I'll return to Gomorrah. I have to disagree with you though, The Wire and The Sopranos are joint top shows. Gomorrah is a very close second.
I feel a little strange inside
A little bit of Jekyll, a little Mr. Hyde

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #695 on: January 28, 2022, 07:52:50 pm »
I`ve watched everything.

My main point is that season 1 and 2 in my opinion is the best tv ever made. I wouldn`t say the last three seasons are on that level. I personally rate The Wire higher than The Sopranos, though James Gandolfini is great and makes that show. Put another actor in that part and it`s not on the same level.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #696 on: January 29, 2022, 01:40:20 am »
season 5 is on HBO Max stateside.

Tutto a posto

All is not well. Ca does not marche.

First two episodes roundly disappointing when held up to the standard of the first two seasons.

It’s as though the writers decided they had to completely undo Immortale, which of course already employed The Great Plot Undoing.

Raphael’s criticisms of an excess of cinematic hold up as fair after the first two episodes of season 5…

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #697 on: January 29, 2022, 08:31:41 am »
After I finished the 5th season I actually went back and rewatched the two first episodes from season 1. The style and feel is completely different. And I wonder if that makes some of the actors look worse than they are in the latest seasons. From season 3 it feels like it goes from streetstyle to trying to be Shakespeare, but sometimes feels like the Fast and the Furious. It balances on cheesy and sometimes it is cheesy.

I won`t spoil some other things I don`t think make sense in season 5. I can come back to that later. It`s still a well made show, but in a different way. I do think they paint themselves into a corner though, plotwise.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 08:37:45 am by Raaphael »

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #698 on: January 29, 2022, 10:34:47 am »
Haven't really had much time to watch final season sicne it came out before the holidays, on episode 4 right now but it's started really strongly.

I love the nicnames they gave some of the Characters, this season started of with some tier 1 nicnames.

Lil Monk, Worst haircut in the history of Television this century.

Pretty Eyes, probably because he's the only one with blue eyes in the entire tv show. ;D
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #699 on: January 29, 2022, 10:58:06 am »
I`m not sure about Lil Monk. I`m not sure if I believe in his performance. Comes across cartoonish. There are very few of the new characters I think are great actors. Some of them I think are quite bad. I don`t buy that they are mafiosos. Basically I think they act to much. I like the old woman. But then again, maybe it`s the change of style in the show that makes this feeling stronger.

There are a few things that annoy me. Genna`s twisting of the ring on his finger. Seems forced and stereotypical. It looks like something obvious that the producers want him to do to show off a personality trait, but as the show goes on I keep thinking- Ok, I get it, don`t overdo it.  His grunt as well. His calmness and "control" in every situation. I`m not sure if that`s believable. I think he was more believable as a hothead in the first seasons and might actually prefer if he showed more nervousness and insecurity. But I can accept that the actor has a tough part going from portraying a kid to a boss. He has to work with the lines the producers have made for him. Overall, I think Genna is a good character. The Ciro and a cigarette wisdom combo almost gets comical, but would be hard to take seriously if I didn`t respect the show so much in the first place. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 11:28:37 am by Raaphael »

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #700 on: January 29, 2022, 02:21:05 pm »
Spoiler
Pitbull!!!
[close]

;D

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #701 on: January 29, 2022, 02:36:57 pm »
On another note, I`ve read that a lot of people think Ciro looks like Pep Guardiola. I think that`s a lazy comparison based on baldness alone. The guy who looks like Guardiola is Conte. He`s basically Guardiola`s twin, but with long hair. Make him bald and you have it pretty much a nailed on 8/10. Not talking about Antonio Conte if some readers are confused. I`d much more put Ciro in the Pepe Reina camp if he must be compared with someone bald. But that`s more a 6/10.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 02:43:22 pm by Raaphael »

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #702 on: January 29, 2022, 03:20:58 pm »
On another note, I`ve read that a lot of people think Ciro looks like Pep Guardiola. I think that`s a lazy comparison based on baldness alone. The guy who looks like Guardiola is Conte. He`s basically Guardiola`s twin, but with long hair. Make him bald and you have it pretty much a nailed on 8/10. Not talking about Antonio Conte if some readers are confused. I`d much more put Ciro in the Pepe Reina camp if he must be compared with someone bald. But that`s more a 6/10.
Conte was so cool, maybe tied in the cool stakes with Ciro.

He was certainly the best dressed in the show, he even made Vaping look cool. :D

The episode in Barcelona was fantastic, when they go off location in another country they make the best episodes of the season.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #704 on: February 3, 2022, 01:31:27 pm »
Finally finished the new season.

Was better than season 4 but not as good as the the first 3.

I think it ended perfectly, definitely up there in the pantheon of great TV shows this century.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #705 on: February 4, 2022, 08:13:06 pm »
yep ended perfectly, just finished it, one of the best shows ever. I think the caveat is that to understand ciro's return, you have watch the film alongside season 4, it's happening at the same time i believe
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #706 on: February 4, 2022, 09:50:39 pm »
yep ended perfectly, just finished it, one of the best shows ever. I think the caveat is that to understand ciro's return, you have watch the film alongside season 4, it's happening at the same time i believe

Related to the above...

Spoiler
Never really bought into the whole Genny feeling "betrayed" by Ciro because he lived but didn't get back in touch with him. Which is central to the entire fifth season. The scenes between Genny and Ciro, in tight space and tight diction, were fabulous as in all the other seasons. But the background motivations for the central conflict between the two characters did not make any sense.

Certainly possible that there are loyalty elements to Neopolitan relationships of which I am culturally unaware. But it felt like nothing more than a cheap conflict that played out before a cinematically engineered reconciliation and subsequent paired death.

All too pat, although at least they didn't have one or both surviving...
[close]

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #707 on: February 4, 2022, 10:40:39 pm »

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #708 on: February 5, 2022, 05:36:41 am »
There`s a lot of Guardiola there.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #709 on: February 15, 2022, 10:44:43 am »
Finally got around to starting the final season last night and watched the first 2 episodes.  Loved it.

I really enjoy those episodes they do outside of Naples.  Episode 2 in Riga was just magnificent.  The cinematography in Gomorrah is so cool.

As a bonus, after a poor season 4 (IMO), so far there have been no gangs of annoying teenagers with stupid haircuts, buzzing around on mopeds.  Long may it continue.

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #710 on: February 15, 2022, 04:07:32 pm »
Would like to see more from the Gomorra universe.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #711 on: May 9, 2022, 01:53:24 pm »
I'm really struggling with season 6.  After a first promising couple of first episodes I'm finding it a bit of a chore.

For me, Other than perhaps Genny, the Gangsters involved are just not intimidating whatsoever. Lil Monk, Pretty eyes, O Galantommo etc

Done about 4 episodes.  Ciro has just come back to Naples.

Should I stick with it?

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #712 on: May 9, 2022, 01:57:17 pm »
I'm really struggling with season 6.  After a first promising couple of first episodes I'm finding it a bit of a chore.

For me, Other than perhaps Genny, the Gangsters involved are just not intimidating whatsoever. Lil Monk, Pretty eyes, O Galantommo etc

Done about 4 episodes.  Ciro has just come back to Naples.

Should I stick with it?

Felt similarly when watching.

Ground out the entire finale.

Glad I watched it from the sense of completeness, and it's nowhere near as bad as, say, the Game of Thrones series ending, but the problems you noted above plus the central conflict that drove the series made watching series 6 a real grind...

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #713 on: May 9, 2022, 02:57:05 pm »
Felt similarly when watching.

Ground out the entire finale.

Glad I watched it from the sense of completeness, and it's nowhere near as bad as, say, the Game of Thrones series ending, but the problems you noted above plus the central conflict that drove the series made watching series 6 a real grind...

Just had a read through the back end of this thread. You and a few others seem to have similar thoughts, so it seems I'm not entirely alone.

I just don't think they ever replaced Don Pietro and his crew.  Instead they brought in Blue Blood and his mates.  Men v Boys :(

Will carry on and finish it though out of completeness. 

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #714 on: May 9, 2022, 04:51:30 pm »
Just had a read through the back end of this thread. You and a few others seem to have similar thoughts, so it seems I'm not entirely alone.

I just don't think they ever replaced Don Pietro and his crew.  Instead they brought in Blue Blood and his mates.  Men v Boys :(

Will carry on and finish it though out of completeness. 

It's really not bad. Still good telly. Just not up to the incredibly high standard set in the first two seasons, in my opinion...