Author Topic: The Metal thread. Show your horns!  (Read 182309 times)

Offline Ben J

• Legacy Fan
  • You Win or You Die
Re: The metal thread. Show your horns!
« Reply #360 on: August 10, 2010, 10:58:29 am »
Went to Sonisphere the other week and it really rekindled my love of metal.  Got to see loads of bands I used to be into (Slayer, Anthrax and the surprisingly good Papa Roach among others) and the 3 headliners (Alice Cooper, Rammstien and Maiden) were all phenominal but the best part of the weekend was discovering some new bands.  The two that stood out for me were Turisas (mental 'battle metal' band from Finland who dress up like orcs from Lord of the Rings) and Evile (a thrash band from Huddersfield, probably one of the best live acts I've ever seen).

Also I'm incredibly stoked for the new Maiden album, El Dorado grew on me (and sounds great live) but the rest of the album is supposed to be full of longer, more epic songs (early reviews have all been great).

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #361 on: August 10, 2010, 11:17:16 am »
The two that stood out for me were Turisas (mental 'battle metal' band from Finland who dress up like orcs from Lord of the Rings) and Evile (a thrash band from Huddersfield, probably one of the best live acts I've ever seen).

Evile are fucking immense. Been plugging them on here for ages, seen them a few times and they're genuinely sound guys who deserve everything they get. Ol is a fuckin' insane guitarist as well, on top of being a sound guy. If you get a decent Annihilator tab on the interweb it's probably him that's wrote it out, he tabbed a whole load of them for the Annihilator website before Evile started making it big.

They've done fucking brilliant to bounce back so well considering their bassist died less than a year ago. I really, really hope they make it big. ... Partly because I've got both the original demos and a weird letter that came with from them tucked away somewhere, and that's going to be worth a few quid eventually.

RIC - Been listening to Re-Traced this morning. I would let Masvidal do unspeakable things to me if he asked (and I do believe he's that way inclined). It's indescribably good. It's Aeon Spoke's interpritation of Cynic, that's the only way I can get my head around it. Fucking love it.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Ben J

• Legacy Fan
  • You Win or You Die
« Reply #362 on: August 12, 2010, 03:57:39 pm »
New Maiden album has leaked, got the special edition coming on Monday but this should get me through the weekend..

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #363 on: August 12, 2010, 11:27:17 pm »
I found "Them Crooked Vultures"on sale in a local shop - fucking groovy album that!

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #364 on: August 12, 2010, 11:48:39 pm »
I found "Them Crooked Vultures"on sale in a local shop - fucking groovy album that!

Bought that, some good stuff in there.

@Yvanicuzz

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #365 on: August 13, 2010, 04:56:18 am »
Juan, i'll have to check our Re-traced, i haven't gotten around to listening to it yet and i'm sure i've got some Evile somewhere, never really grabbed me but i'll have to have another check out of it.

I grabbed a leaked copy of the new Maiden. It's the first time i've ever listened to a leaked copy of one of thier albums but i wanted to hear it before i forked out for it, cheapskate twat that i am. It's very good. But, and there is a but in this, it's not as good (i think) as the last one, in fact it's not even in the same league. Probably as good as Dance of Death (which i did and still do, really enjoy). I will say this, for me personally, El Dorado is probably the single shittest thing they've written in the last 10 years, i've no idea why it's on the album, it sticks out like a sore thumb. It's not growing on me, it gets worse every time i hear it, to the point that i've begun skipping it so it doesn't detract from the album. But from track 3, the albums a blinder, it really is. Nico's performance is superb!

I still need to give the rest of it a few more spins yet, but i'm really liking it so far.
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #366 on: August 13, 2010, 11:17:20 pm »
I still need to give the rest of it a few more spins yet, but i'm really liking it so far.

Get them beers out and they'll sort you out...  :hally Alcohol does wonders to my taste of music!!  :moon

Offline astowell1

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #368 on: August 15, 2010, 08:54:36 pm »
Stumbled upon this cover of KISS' legendary "Crazy crazy nights" by norwegian singer Kurt Nilsen. He has a fantastic voice and the cover is, to say the least, a bit alternative:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lspLW6Hv2A

Take it for what it is and enjoy his voice. :wave

Offline Frog

• Likes to woo
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Sounders til I die! www.weareecs.com
    • Facebook profile
« Reply #369 on: August 17, 2010, 03:11:28 am »
On September 3rd, I have a ticket to see Slayer, Megadeth, and Testament here in Seattle. Should be a fun, loud, crazy night.
The bluest skies you’ve ever seen are in Seattle- And the hills the greenest green, in Seattle-
Like a beautiful child, growing up, free an’ wild- Full of hopes an’ full of fears, full of laughter, full of tears-
Full of dreams to last the years, in Seattle- in Seattle!

Offline myrlas

• Powered by YaMH (Yet another Mister Happy)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter: @myrlas
« Reply #370 on: August 17, 2010, 09:56:59 am »
The best Metal song by a distance for me at the moment.

Opeth - The Funeral Portrait.

Not a official vid, but somethng someone made from the 300 movie.

Some of the riffs in this are unreal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzJBuDiGpLI

« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 10:18:46 am by myrlas »
"Football is simple, you're either on time, or you're too late. If you're too late then you have to leave earlier." Johan Cruyff

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #371 on: August 17, 2010, 10:18:57 am »
Just jumped on the Opeth bandwagon. bought the Roundhouse DVD and was thoroughly impressed (although the "growling" vocals are still to grow on me).  you can tell that Steve Wilson of Porcupine Tree has had a hand in the production of some of the songs - and I think he's taken some Opeth's musicality into Porcupine Tree.

Just had Strapping Young Lad - The Chaos Years CD/DVD delivered.  Some very heavy Devin.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #372 on: August 17, 2010, 02:53:22 pm »
 <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/L0CsLefLisE?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_GB&lt;/embed&gt;&lt;/object&gt;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/L0CsLefLisE?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_GB&lt;/embed&gt;&lt;/object&gt;</a>
Brilliant. Absolutely Brilliant.

Offline Jack the Red

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Never forget...
« Reply #373 on: August 17, 2010, 03:45:30 pm »
Check out this blog:

http://churchofzer.blogspot.com/
There are a few metal bands, lots of punk/hardcore and in the links there are albums/rare bootlegs you can download.

Scroll down the page. On the RHS the list of bands (over 700) will appear.

Excellent blog. I hammered that over the weekend, thanks for the link.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #374 on: August 17, 2010, 10:55:56 pm »
On September 3rd, I have a ticket to see Slayer, Megadeth, and Testament here in Seattle. Should be a fun, loud, crazy night.

I envy you BIG TIME!! ;D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #375 on: August 17, 2010, 11:00:40 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/L0CsLefLisE?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_GB&lt;/embed&gt;&lt;/object&gt;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/L0CsLefLisE?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_GB&lt;/embed&gt;&lt;/object&gt;</a>
Brilliant. Absolutely Brilliant.

+1

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #376 on: August 19, 2010, 05:30:04 am »
So yeah, I admit it, i am behind the times with some things. I've got to say, i've only just gotten into this show (albeit what...4 years late) Anyone else watch(ed) it? Some funny, funny shit in it and i've got to say, having played death/black metal in bands for 12 years, it's an excellent parody on band life at times. Purile, stupid and lowbrow but fuck it, it gets me laughing

I've got to say, i love the tracks as well. I grabbed both dethalbums, but i've only heard the first one. The lyrics are brilliant (as a lover of cannibal corpse i guess it's not surprising that i love it really)

Actually talking of cannibal corpse, i came across this lot who are also a parody of them, and are also class as fuck. One to check out if you get the time:

Gratitude

Offline Frog

• Likes to woo
  • Legacy Fan
    • Facebook profile
« Reply #377 on: August 19, 2010, 07:37:56 am »
I envy you BIG TIME!! ;D
Slayer and Megadeth will each be playing a complete album during their sets': "Seasons in the Abyss" and "Rust in Peace" respectively. I hope they have enough time in the rest of their sets' to play some other songs like 'Angel of Death', 'Raining Blood', 'Peace Sells', 'Symphony of Destruction', and 'Sweating Bullets'.
The bluest skies you’ve ever seen are in Seattle- And the hills the greenest green, in Seattle-
Like a beautiful child, growing up, free an’ wild- Full of hopes an’ full of fears, full of laughter, full of tears-

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Gay for Dirk, wants him naked.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #378 on: August 19, 2010, 07:43:20 am »
Why haven't I heard of Metalocalypse before? Thanks Red_Isle_Chap for the namedrop! Looks incredibly funny.
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline Frog

• Likes to woo
  • Legacy Fan
    • Facebook profile
« Reply #379 on: August 19, 2010, 08:47:36 am »
Why haven't I heard of Metalocalypse before? Thanks Red_Isle_Chap for the namedrop! Looks incredibly funny.
It is incredibly funny. It takes a bit of getting used to the voices, but it is hilarious.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #380 on: August 19, 2010, 10:42:13 pm »
Slayer and Megadeth will each be playing a complete album during their sets': "Seasons in the Abyss" and "Rust in Peace" respectively. I hope they have enough time in the rest of their sets' to play some other songs like 'Angel of Death', 'Raining Blood', 'Peace Sells', 'Symphony of Destruction', and 'Sweating Bullets'.

La la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la... I can't hear what you're saying... :no

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #381 on: August 20, 2010, 05:53:54 am »
;D no worries mate. I was incredibly dubious about it which is one of the reasons that it's taken me this long to get around to watching it, but it has me in tears in some places!

It is incredibly funny. It takes a bit of getting used to the voices, but it is hilarious.
Very true that, took me a couple of episodes to get used to the voices, but they are brilliant
Gratitude

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #382 on: September 1, 2010, 06:56:12 am »
Right then, let's have it shall we?

Anyone else picked it up? I know i've discussed it already in the thread, but i got my actual copy of it the other day and i've been listening to it constantly and i've got to say it's really grown on me in the last day or so. Some of the songs are brilliantly put together. You'll never get me to call the 2nd song anything other than poor, but apart from that the rest of them are fucking excellent. I reckon it's a brilliant album

I apologise for any abuse i gave it earlier in the thread ;D like Bennekov suggested, a few spins after a couple of beers helped!!
Gratitude

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #383 on: September 1, 2010, 06:45:08 pm »

Anyone else picked it up? I know i've discussed it already in the thread, but i got my actual copy of it the other day and i've been listening to it constantly and i've got to say it's really grown on me in the last day or so. Some of the songs are brilliantly put together. You'll never get me to call the 2nd song anything other than poor, but apart from that the rest of them are fucking excellent. I reckon it's a brilliant album

I apologise for any abuse i gave it earlier in the thread ;D like Bennekov suggested, a few spins after a couple of beers helped!!

I haven't had the time to pick it up at the local record store, but I'm getting it tomorrow. I have listened to El Dorado on Youtube and I must admit I like it. I'm glad Judas Priest was right when they wrote "you don't have to be old to be wise"... ;D

I'll get back here when I've listened to it...

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #384 on: September 1, 2010, 08:15:58 pm »
I've got a copy and listened to it yesterday - I must admit that despite being a metal fan since seeing Led Zep in the early seventies, I've only recently got into Iron Maiden. I thought the new album was really good. It'll probably take a  few more listens to really get into it, but it shows how they are still developing.

Offline liverbnz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: September 1, 2010, 08:21:52 pm »
I'm sure it has been discussed somewhere on here so apologies but what does everyone think of World Painted Blood? It took me a lot of listens to finally get into it and I'm only now starting to appreciate it. Still not Slayer's best but just interested in hearing others opinion of it.
One thing you will discover is that life is based less than you think on what you've learned, and much more than you think on what you have inside you from the very beginning

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #386 on: September 1, 2010, 08:51:26 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y3Vcoq-QRo4?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_GB" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Y3Vcoq-QRo4?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_GB</a>

Well I thought it was good...

Offline Eluamous

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #387 on: September 1, 2010, 08:58:48 pm »
I'm sure it has been discussed somewhere on here so apologies but what does everyone think of World Painted Blood? It took me a lot of listens to finally get into it and I'm only now starting to appreciate it. Still not Slayer's best but just interested in hearing others opinion of it.
Took me a few goes too, but I really love it now. Probably their best since Seasons.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #388 on: September 2, 2010, 01:46:05 am »
Took me a few goes too, but I really love it now. Probably their best since Seasons.
Couldn't agree more with that to be honest, which goes to show just how good it it, their best in 20 years, and full fucking credit to slayer quite frankly. I really enjoyed God hates us all, but i have to admit i was a bit worried at the direction that they took with that one, sounded like they were very close to going "nu metal" (oh how i'm glad that fad fucking died). Christ illusion wasn't great, but it was a turn back towards the roots and World Painted Blood is thrash fucking tastic. I love it!
Gratitude

Offline Frog

• Likes to woo
  • Legacy Fan
    • Facebook profile
« Reply #389 on: September 4, 2010, 09:31:23 pm »
Last night kicked ass.

Slayer and Megadeth both played complete albums and had time to play some other of their hits, Seasons in the Abyss and Rust in Peace respectively. Slayer also played "World Painted Blood", "South of Heaven", "Raining Blood", and "Angel of Death". Megadeth finished with "Head Crusher", "Symphony of Destruction", and "Peace Sells". And for not knowing a whole lot about Testament before the concert, I'm going to listen to more of their stuff now.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #390 on: September 8, 2010, 06:32:46 am »
Well this week i've been entertaining myself with this little beauty:

Sahg have been about since 2006, i got their first 2 albums which were fucking ace and this is just as good. It's stoner metal before i go any further. The lads in the band have been in the likes of Gorgoroth, Audry Horne and Manngard, which makes odd hearing when you hear them as this lot are heavy stoner, but with cracking clean vocals. Groovey yet dark, fucking love it! :thumbup
Gratitude

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #391 on: September 8, 2010, 08:32:28 pm »
Well this week i've been entertaining myself with this little beauty:

Sahg have been about since 2006, i got their first 2 albums which were fucking ace and this is just as good. It's stoner metal before i go any further. The lads in the band have been in the likes of Gorgoroth, Audry Horne and Manngard, which makes odd hearing when you hear them as this lot are heavy stoner, but with cracking clean vocals. Groovey yet dark, fucking love it! :thumbup

Hadn't heard of this band before but I Youtubed it and had a listen. Fucking great music that is!! :thumbup It's actually a bit more groovy, melodic and darker(!!) than Monster Magnet which is about the only "real" stoner metal band I know... Good shout Chap! :wellin

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #392 on: September 9, 2010, 10:06:40 am »
Hadn't heard of this band before but I Youtubed it and had a listen. Fucking great music that is!! :thumbup It's actually a bit more groovy, melodic and darker(!!) than Monster Magnet which is about the only "real" stoner metal band I know... Good shout Chap! :wellin
;D pleased to be of service my good man!
Gratitude

Offline toomanysteves

• Kopite
« Reply #393 on: September 9, 2010, 01:50:33 pm »

Just got it and looking forwrd to listening to it. The last album was the best they brought out since the early 80's ....a lot to live up to.
A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends.

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #394 on: September 9, 2010, 02:30:12 pm »
Soulfly are playing London Koko in November, and Korn are also playing in London 4 days earlier, seems like a good excuse.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #395 on: October 5, 2010, 06:00:16 am »
Right then, i've been listening to 3 albums constantly here over the last 3 weeks or so. First up is this one:

It's the new album by Enslaved. Now, for those that don't know them, Enslaved were one of the second wave of black metal around in Norway in the very early 90's (along with the likes of Immortal, Emperor, Mayhem and Darkthrone) Out of all the old Black metal lot, enslaved have been the ones who have been progressing further and further away from their black metal roots to the point now that they're not black metal and anyone who says they are is flat wrong. Their extreme metal with a big helping of prog that's got both clean and harsh vocals. Axioma Ethica Odini is easily their most "prog heavy" record ever, which some of the more "purist" lads that i know don't like. But i tell them all to shut the fuck up, because it's a fantastic album. I haven't listened to it enough yet to decide whether i prefer it to the last one ("Vertebrae") but it really is a brilliant, brilliant album.

The second is:

Now i'd swerved this lot purley because it's one of the worst band names i've ever seen. But i've got to be fair Abigail William's new album "In the Absence of Light" is a fucking monster. If anyone out there knows what i'm referring to, it's really a cross between "In the Nightside eclipse" by Emperor and "World ov Worms" by Zyklon. Considering the amount of pap that's around in modern black metal these days, it's odd to say that this bunch of yanks have restored my faith in it. Dark, brooding, massively atmospheric, excellently played and a joy to listen to if i'm honest.

The third is:

The new album by melechesh. I stated a while ago in this thread that i was really looking forward to this and it doesn't dissapoint. Again, like the enslaved album, i've not listened to it enough to hold it up to their previous effort (Emissaries) but this is a big slab of blackened thrash. Fast, engaging, full of catchy thrash riffs. I love it!

it's great to have some excellent extreme metal again, it's been missing for a while! ;D
Gratitude

Offline martinlloyd85

• Main Stander
  • I cough all Mornin', and I smoke all night.
« Reply #396 on: October 5, 2010, 07:39:32 am »
Made up I found this thread. :D

I live in Perth, Western Australia. I grew up playing in punk bands while most of my mates were into technical death metal. So unless I'm being nostalgic the bands that I listen to these days consist of..

The Black Dahlia Murder, Fleshgod Apocalypse, Alestorm (who I recently went on tour with), At The Gates, 3 Inches of Blood etc.

Aside from that, I listen to a lot of local perth metal that feature my friends. Some bands you may want to check out..

Claim The Throne - for fans of Viking Metal, Battle Metal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXHQr-nwYz4

Entrails Eradicated - for fans of Technical Death / Brutal Death Metal
http://www.myspace.com/entrailseradicated
http://www.last.fm/music/ENTRAILS+ERADICATED

Also...just wanted to show this. Fleshgod Apocalypse covering At The Gates.

Original At The Gates version..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF0U77bm9mc

Fleshgod Version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3NHR6SrgwM

Too brutal!
-Justice.

Offline Jack the Red

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Never forget...
« Reply #397 on: October 5, 2010, 01:01:15 pm »
I've been on a brutal death metal/grindcore binge lately, bands like Cattle Decapitation, Devourment, Napalm Death, Suffocation, Psycroptic, and a lot of Tech death like Decapitated and Origin, I just can't get enough of it lately. Anyone recommend any obscure brutal/grind/tech death bands I might like?

Offline martinlloyd85

• Main Stander
  • I cough all Mornin', and I smoke all night.
« Reply #398 on: October 5, 2010, 01:06:27 pm »
I've been on a brutal death metal/grindcore binge lately, bands like Cattle Decapitation, Devourment, Napalm Death, Suffocation, Psycroptic, and a lot of Tech death like Decapitated and Origin, I just can't get enough of it lately. Anyone recommend any obscure brutal/grind/tech death bands I might like?

Read the post above you. :P

Fleshgod Apocalypse, and Entrails Eradicated.
-Justice.

Offline Jack the Red

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Never forget...
« Reply #399 on: October 5, 2010, 01:17:40 pm »
Sorry, yeah, I saw that post, I'd heard Entrails Eradicated before, Fleshgod Apocalypse is right up my street, I'll be checking more of them out. Nice one.