Author Topic: SPOILERS The Chainless Game of Thrones and House of the Dragon Discussion  (Read 1045567 times)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: SPOILERS Mr Blessed & Mrs Barney say "NO Discussion of Chains!" Game of Thrones
« Reply #14920 on: September 14, 2019, 02:48:00 pm »
For the potential it had after series 7 ended, you cannot be saying they did a good job of it overall. The action scenes apart, it was incredibly uninspiring considering where it started from.

It was rushed which meant it was ultimately unsatisfying for quite a few of the characters.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
Re: SPOILERS Mr Blessed & Mrs Barney say "NO Discussion of Chains!" Game of Thrones
« Reply #14921 on: September 14, 2019, 02:51:30 pm »
You lot really must have a very high level of TV intake if you think season 8 was a disaster and ‘some of the worst writing ever in TV history’ :D

Victim of it's own high standards. Probably not as bad as generic CBS cop show #7378 but nobody expected it to be as bad as it was.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #14922 on: September 14, 2019, 02:57:58 pm »
The two dickheads that wrote it should be shot for their crimes.

Bloody hell fire mate it's only a telly show
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14923 on: September 14, 2019, 10:37:45 pm »
Bloody hell fire mate it's only a telly show
I know. A bit melodramatic from myself there. They should be waterboarded instead.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #14924 on: September 15, 2019, 02:44:19 am »
I know. A bit melodramatic from myself there. They should be waterboarded instead.

Or chained up...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14925 on: September 15, 2019, 03:12:27 am »
Or chained up...

The moment the show truly jumped the shark
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14926 on: September 15, 2019, 06:30:27 pm »
Or chained up...
Not the chains. Anything but the chains. Sadist.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14927 on: September 15, 2019, 10:53:05 pm »
The moment the show truly jumped the shark

It just got ridiculous, such lazy writing. How would a shark even get that big? And don’t even get me started on Quint, after his whole journey to just finish like that. And the canister, always the canister. We’re to believe that a great white could just jump out of the water onto a boat like that, and suck a man towards him?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14928 on: September 16, 2019, 03:13:59 am »
The major problem with the final series was there was only 6 episodes, so they had to cram as much in as possible.

They should have done 8-10, focused on the long night a bit more, focused on Cersei a bit more (she shouldn’t have survived the collapse anyway,) and given us a proper pay off to Arya and the Hound instead of a quick 2 minute speech that practically destroyed her character arc and turned her from a cold, heartless assassin bent on revenge to the soppy little girl with an act of being hardened.

They simply winged in from series 6 onwards.

Offline Shankly998

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14929 on: September 16, 2019, 08:07:26 am »
It was far too rushed i.e Dany going crazy and bran becoming king just happened far too quickly and lacked the build up to have a satisfying resolution. While D&D did f*ck up ultimately they signed up to do an adaptation not to write new material and for the first 4 series when they could do this it was great.
When they had to join the dots plot point wise not so great hence I ultimately blame GRRM more. How are D&D meant to finish the story if GRRM can't himself?

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #14930 on: September 16, 2019, 11:57:31 am »
The major problem with the final series was there was only 6 episodes, so they had to cram as much in as possible.

They should have done 8-10, focused on the long night a bit more, focused on Cersei a bit more (she shouldn’t have survived the collapse anyway,) and given us a proper pay off to Arya and the Hound instead of a quick 2 minute speech that practically destroyed her character arc and turned her from a cold, heartless assassin bent on revenge to the soppy little girl with an act of being hardened.

It was terribly rushed but besides that I can't get over some of the writing. One of the writers stated Danny forgot about to iron fleet! The biggest armada in the world and the biggest threat to Danny and she just simply forgot they existed!! Seriously that's what he said! I couldn't believe my ears  ;D

I still think we are been trolled! Every scene that they wrote in the last episode was mind boggling! None of it made sense.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14931 on: September 16, 2019, 12:01:44 pm »

Seasons 7-8 should have been 3-4 full seasons handled by someone who had the time and interest to see them through properly. The showrunners wanted out it seems but were unwilling to hand over the reigns, so we got a rush job instead.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14932 on: September 16, 2019, 12:40:02 pm »
Seasons 7-8 should have been 3-4 full seasons handled by someone who had the time and interest to see them through properly. The showrunners wanted out it seems but were unwilling to hand over the reigns, so we got a rush job instead.

Ideally yeah but then dyou think the actors/actresses would have signed up for another 3/4 full seasons? Another, what, 5/6 years of their career at least?

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14933 on: September 16, 2019, 01:11:12 pm »

Weren't some of the lead actors also growing increasingly more restless and wanted to move on to new things? Pretty sure I read that somewhere.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14934 on: September 16, 2019, 05:24:29 pm »
Ideally yeah but then dyou think the actors/actresses would have signed up for another 3/4 full seasons? Another, what, 5/6 years of their career at least?
Weren't some of the lead actors also growing increasingly more restless and wanted to move on to new things? Pretty sure I read that somewhere.

I'm sure a few said as much after they knew when it would end, but if the option was on the table to stay an extra season or two, make a ton of money and not piss off half the world by refusing to continue, I think they would've taken it.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #14935 on: September 16, 2019, 05:35:10 pm »
I’m fairly sure the money would have persuaded them to do another few years. I mean the main cast were earning £500k an episode weren’t they?

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14936 on: September 16, 2019, 11:52:21 pm »
It would have needed to have been at least 2 full 10 episode series to do the ending justice, not a couple extra episodes bolted on to S8. From watching the documentary of the making of it, a lot of the main players looked gutted it was ending, or the way it was ending. I reckon they would have stayed on. They weren't going to get a bigger gig.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14937 on: September 16, 2019, 11:56:19 pm »

how many of the cast are ever going to work on a project again that captured the zeitgeist as much as this show? for many, this was the pinnacle, i'm sure they would have signed up for longer (especially if it meant not having the series end so poorly and reflecting badly on them too)
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #14938 on: September 17, 2019, 12:14:45 am »

Agree with this.

It actually would have been a lot smarter for them to jump ship after season 4 - really leave on a high, let someone else with the energy and passion to do the rest.

Well, it would have been an extra 1-2 seasons on top of what was ultimately produced. So yes, I think it would have been fine.

And with the benefit of hindsight, I don't think any of them would look back on how the show ended and not want to do it over, if they had the chance - if they were honest with themselves. It was a massive fiasco and badly tarnished the legacy of probably the last thing that most of the world could all get on board with.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 12:19:26 am by Redcap »

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14939 on: September 17, 2019, 01:34:58 am »
I don't care about the length of the series or the numerous characters that remain in the books that were left out of the show. I don't care. What annoyed me since about S5 was the god awful writing. The internal consistency of the show was beginning to die by that stage. There were dick and bro jokes, the use of modern language and modern sensibilities that clearly stood out for me as being from another world to the one in which the show as based.

People were having a go at me earlier in the thread for pointing out that the writing ever since the show passed the books has been awful. I think I have been vindicated now. Even the casual show watchers that I know thought the writing was absolutely terrible. And in retrospect, S7 gets absolutely lambasted too because a lot of people forgave its lapses in the belief that we were heading towards a mega-finale. What we got was a logicless whimper.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
My son said "Winter Is Coming" the other day which sparked a discussion at the tea table about how it was dead to us all.

What is dead... is dead.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Bet they wish they’d have just cut to black and finished when the Night King grabbed Arya and the dagger dropped

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
Came in here again half expecting news of the the two producers shot in their houses in a pro hit
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
Commissioned by a group from  in here.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
Came in here again half expecting news of the the two producers shot in their houses in a pro hit

I think they both kept their heads down after the finale aired, They definitely knew the shit that was coming. I guess they are busy doing Star Wars now.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
I think the hatred for the last season is overblown. A ton of people used the criticism of how rushed and poorly thought out it was to jump on how it ended because they had their own preconceived notions about where everyone would end up and were angry when it went in another direction.

That said, with how abruptly it all got tied up I've completely lost interest in revisiting any of it or reading about it. The fact that it was a totally avoidable issue too is really what annoys me still, the show-runners seemingly just needed to hand it over to someone else and manage the transition, but instead we got the absolute bare minimum needed to finish it. Maybe it'll eventually come out that they just couldn't keep certain actors involved that long or something but for now it just looks like they couldn't be bothered any more.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
I think the hatred for the last season is overblown. A ton of people used the criticism of how rushed and poorly thought out it was to jump on how it ended because they had their own preconceived notions about where everyone would end up and were angry when it went in another direction.

That said, with how abruptly it all got tied up I've completely lost interest in revisiting any of it or reading about it. The fact that it was a totally avoidable issue too is really what annoys me still, the show-runners seemingly just needed to hand it over to someone else and manage the transition, but instead we got the absolute bare minimum needed to finish it. Maybe it'll eventually come out that they just couldn't keep certain actors involved that long or something but for now it just looks like they couldn't be bothered any more.

Making Bran King and sending John to the none existent nights watch still makes me think I'm been trolled! No other explanation  ;D

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?

Yeah, we'll all have had our own pet preferences for the ending, but that happens all the time with TV series & films and as long as the ending makes sense, sticks to the canon, ties up loose ends and sub-stories, and is played through logically, it's not a problem if it's not the ending you want.

This was just horseshit, though, and the more I go over it, the worse it gets.

So many convenient wrap-ups that made no sense in the context of the characterisation and story evolution that had gone before. So many other loose ends left dangling or sub-stories that turned out to be pointless dead-ends. Characters acting totally out of the character they'd built over several series. It was clunky, clumsy, rushed - and in a series where certain story elements meant you had to suspend belief to an extent, jarred you back into real life with a slap of incredulity.

It was like they brought in new show runners and writers for that last series who hadn't previously watched any of it, but skimmed through some plot synopses for each series and went "Righteo, let's get this bollocks wrapped up and done with"
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Eh. I said this at the time but the restraints caused by the size of the cast (and their by now substantial outside commitments) and the extensive filming that was required essentially made it so everything had to be wrapped up in just over seven hours while still attempting to adhere to whatever GRRM was telling them. The Arrested Development reboot had the same issues with a smaller cast and far fewer effects and stunt-based factors, and it turned out far worse.

Sure the ending could have been better but the hate is overblown, especially since the individual episodes were generally good to very good and they managed to avoid as many established fan theories as possible. I watched the Siege of Winterfell in a packed bar and people were losing it throughout. If it had stuck the landing in the last episode I don't think anyone could have reasonably complained too much.

Offline Shankly998

• Legacy Fan
Making Bran King and sending John to the none existent nights watch still makes me think I'm been trolled! No other explanation  ;D

I actually liked Jon's ending he gets to be free and do whatever he wants there's nothing stopping him going back to visit Winterfell. Didn't buy Bran's ending though they'd have to do a much better job of explaining it in the books. Maybe he actually does something useful against the White Walkers rather than just sitting there and that's why he's chosen.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
I actually liked Jon's ending he gets to be free and do whatever he wants there's nothing stopping him going back to visit Winterfell. Didn't buy Bran's ending though they'd have to do a much better job of explaining it in the books. Maybe he actually does something useful against the White Walkers rather than just sitting there and that's why he's chosen.

That's what the whole previous 7 series had been building to - that Bran and his 'powers' would have a vital role to play defeating the White Walkers, yet all he did was be bait whilst he buggered off on a warg-jolly into a raven that served no purpose that was explained by the show.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
It was shite wasn't it.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
It was shite wasn't it.

Shite doesn't come close mate. I found myself fast forwarding through the last episode as it was boring and when something did happen it was comical, The council meeting scene at the end was hilarious, The prisoner dictating what should happen, Sansa getting independence for the north and the rest just agreeing etc etc.

Shows like Lost and Dexter took shit due to their endings but this was by far the worst I have ever seen.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
Shite doesn't come close mate. I found myself fast forwarding through the last episode as it was boring and when something did happen it was comical, The council meeting scene at the end was hilarious, The prisoner dictating what should happen, Sansa getting independence for the north and the rest just agreeing etc etc.

Shows like Lost and Dexter took shit due to their endings but this was by far the worst I have ever seen.

Taking the season as a whole, Dexter was far worse, dude. Lost's final season is pretty under-rated to be honest - people just didn't fully understand it.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan

I agree. For me it's the biggest betrayal I've ever experienced in any kind of entertainment. I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel a bit bitter about it still. It's just so disappointing. The previous couple of episodes were shocking in their dismantling of everything that built up to them, but the last episode flat out took a massive shit on literally everything the show was about.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I agree. For me it's the biggest betrayal I've ever experienced in any kind of entertainment. I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel a bit bitter about it still. It's just so disappointing. The previous couple of episodes were shocking in their dismantling of everything that built up to them, but the last episode flat out took a massive shit on literally everything the show was about.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Aye, that was me after episode 3.

I like to pretend it cut to black with The Night King grabbing Arya by the throat. The end. Everyone died.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"

Jon's whole journey was just a waste of time, he spends the entire series wondering about where he has come from then when he finds out about his Targaryen background it's like it's almost never happened in the show. The whole thing was just so underwhelming, also he was a dragon rider and I thought the dragon riders were actually supposed to have a real bond with their dragons? Yet when his died it was like nothing at all, they certainly broke the mould with Jon.  ::)
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
Jon's whole journey was just a waste of time, he spends the entire series wondering about where he has come from then when he finds out about his Targaryen background it's like it's almost never happened in the show. The whole thing was just so underwhelming, also he was a dragon rider and I thought the dragon riders were actually supposed to have a real bond with their dragons? Yet when his died it was like nothing at all, they certainly broke the mould with Jon.  ::)
Ah dunt wunt it. She's muh Queen.