Author Topic: Our performances  (Read 12524 times)

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
Re: Our performances
« Reply #120 on: November 9, 2018, 04:13:05 pm »
A lot of good points in the posts above and others in here.

I’m personally beginning to accept that we could amass more points than ever before and still not end up winning the league or potentially even challenge if Man City repeat what they did last season.

For now we’ve had a great start, despite the lack of fluency in our play at times and some players not performing at the same level as last year. Hopefully as with last season we’ll improve as we go and the performances will come with it.

Over the next few months I’m expecting more impact from the likes of Keita and Fabinho plus TAA, Firmino, Lallana to improve their current form. If that happens then I think we’ll see more of the football we saw last year.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #121 on: November 9, 2018, 04:15:25 pm »
Third and final example. This is about Man City actually. They are reacting as if they lost it all last season. That their only way is up. We are reacting as if we've found someone or something so precious we are almost traumatised about losing it. Which makes us lose it.
I think this is a really good point. Another way of looking at this is that we have to learn how to cope with being favourites. It's a new position for almost all of us - coaches, players and all but the aldest* of arses nowadays.

It's a learning process that all teams have to go through. And the point about City is that, not only have they gone through it, they've also started to really revel in it. This is a characteristic that maybe separates title winners from repeat title winners - that ability to revel in being favourites, to thrive under that pressure, even to use it to crush others.

It's not, nor has it ever been, fair to expect us to get to that level at this point. Any rational analysis at the start of the season would have said that, if City perform as well as last season, it'd be nigh on impossible to even properly challenge, let alone win.

Yet at this point City are performing to that same level, and yet here we are; challenging - and challenging hard enough that Pep, who never plays defensively, played defensively against us. Enough that their fans and coach are constantly talking about us. Enough that, while they're revelling in it, they do also glance into that mirror every now and then, and they're not comfortable with how large we appear in that winner. If we're still large in that mirror come the business end of the season then funny things could happen. And we're sure as fuck well capable of winning any knockout tournament we're still involved in.

But while it's inevitable and understandable that we'll define ourselves against City, there has to be a mental adjustment in terms of how we see ourselves Vs everyone else, too. We have to start to understand, cope with and then, hopefully, enjoy that we're top dogs too, a team that others will be desperate to beat, but which also carry an aura that can start to crush teams before they've even set-foot onto the pitch.

And the fact that we're even talking about stuff like this is a sign of how good we are - because in previous seasons it's all too often been blind hope and voodoo mathematics at this point, and the talk has already turned to which gaping holes in the team we need to fill-in first.

*IE over 40 ;-)
(PS I'm 37)
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #122 on: November 9, 2018, 05:45:19 pm »
We started slow last season as well. Klopp really takes his time with new players before they become regulars. Some of this was expected. I didn't think we'd go gung ho this season from the start and I've maintained that December is when we'll start to really see what our team is about. Just for comparison, last season's signings -

Robertson had 2 premier league starts within the first 14 league games last season. He became a regular after Match Day 15.
Ox had 3 starts in the same time (plus a whole bunch of sub appearances - He became more of a starting XI regular around MatchDay 18 - He only joined us after MatchDay 3).

My point being that for new signings, more often than not, the first 15 league games or so are still something of a pre-season to get used to the system, the style and the team. Keita, Fabinho, Shaq have not really played all that much this season because they are still getting there. Fabinho looked great in his first 2 games but struggled at the emirates. That shows they need time still. Naby looked like he'd probably be ready sooner but then got injured. All this affects the timeline. The fact that we've got the results with none of our outfield new signings really getting to be impactful enough is a surprise in itself.

Klopp's comments about mojo is what we are all seeing. It'll come. I have no doubt about it. I dont agree with many of the comments about our own mentality and how we are being protective given last season. I think we are following the same trajectory as last season, albeit with contrasting sets of results. We'll get even better as the season proceeds and I fully expect it to click and then not stop except for the kinks and bumps that we'll most definitely have.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #123 on: November 9, 2018, 06:17:33 pm »
We started slow last season as well. Klopp really takes his time with new players before they become regulars. Some of this was expected. I didn't think we'd go gung ho this season from the start and I've maintained that December is when we'll start to really see what our team is about. Just for comparison, last season's signings -

Robertson had 2 premier league starts within the first 14 league games last season. He became a regular after Match Day 15.
Ox had 3 starts in the same time (plus a whole bunch of sub appearances - He became more of a starting XI regular around MatchDay 18 - He only joined us after MatchDay 3).

My point being that for new signings, more often than not, the first 15 league games or so are still something of a pre-season to get used to the system, the style and the team. Keita, Fabinho, Shaq have not really played all that much this season because they are still getting there. Fabinho looked great in his first 2 games but struggled at the emirates. That shows they need time still. Naby looked like he'd probably be ready sooner but then got injured. All this affects the timeline. The fact that we've got the results with none of our outfield new signings really getting to be impactful enough is a surprise in itself.

Klopp's comments about mojo is what we are all seeing. It'll come. I have no doubt about it. I dont agree with many of the comments about our own mentality and how we are being protective given last season. I think we are following the same trajectory as last season, albeit with contrasting sets of results. We'll get even better as the season proceeds and I fully expect it to click and then not stop except for the kinks and bumps that we'll most definitely have.
This.

People think of Ox and Robertson last season and they remember the obvious highs, like the City victories. They tend to forget that at this stage there were big question marks over the Ox signing. Outside of our own fanbase many hadn't even heard of Robertson. Coutinho was our highest profile player, and yet everybody had basically forgotten about him by Kiev.

Point being, so much changes throughout a season. There's a lot of time for the likes of Keita and Fabinho to be this season's equivalent of Ox and Robertson.

The performances haven't been the all-out devastating kind we saw at the end of last season, and the CL situation is very worrying. We got drawn into a very hard group though, and there's also a lot to be said for the undramatic kinds of results we've had in the league. There's surely not a single person on the forum who would have turned down our current league record if offered it at the start of the season. Whilst it remains like that I find it very difficult to complain too much.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: November 9, 2018, 07:23:05 pm »
Statsbomb article today that everybody should read - https://statsbomb.com/2018/11/liverpool-pressing-concerns/

Basically our press is the same as last season but our midfielders aren't as active.  Keita by himself isn't replacing the work both Ox and Can did.  Funny when you think of it but most here don't even think of Can but he was a pretty good midfielder for us last year.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: November 14, 2018, 05:42:54 pm »
Klopp on formations,tactics,etc..

Asked about his use of the 4-2-3-1 formation by Premier League Productions, Klopp said: “We played it from time to time, we didn’t only play it at the beginning when I came in.

“We played it last year, I think we played it in the last game. We played different systems. But I don’t think too much about things like that, I’m always in the situation. I use my experience with only what I can remember – I don’t go through my papers and think, ‘What did we do in that situation?’

“I’m pretty sure we played a diamond because I played it always when I had the opportunity to do it, bringing in two strikers and stuff like that.

“Our system, when we play with all three up front, is something like a diamond; it can be a 4-5-1, it can be a 4-3-3. Of course, 4-2-3-1 – 4-4-1-1 I’d prefer in most situations to name it – is a good system.

“But it’s never about the system, it’s all about the players. My job is to bring the players into the best position where they can help the team most with the things they can do. If I can do it with the system, I do it, but it’s not that we go through the week and be very creative with things like that because, in the end, the players need to play [on instinct].

“If I need an hour or two to explain what I want from them, maybe I have got them [in the mind] but I don’t get them deeper. That’s the problem.

“Don’t make football more complicated than it is; the game has enough demands for the players that we don’t need a manager who asks more questions.”

“I don’t feel pressure. That’s how it is,” said Klopp.

“I made a decision long ago for myself: I give everything I have. I don’t hold anything back. In this moment, I can’t do better. I am really like I am.

“I know a lot about football. Do I know everything? I don’t think anybody [does] but I know a lot about it. I expect a lot from myself but there is no pressure. We want to win each game and if we don’t win it then we want to win the next one.

“Any other decisions – how people look at me and what people think about me – I have nothing to do with that because I have no influence on it. As long as we win football games, everybody thinks – even if they don’t like me – ‘He’s a good manager’.

“And when we lose football games, the people who don’t like me and the people who like me say, ‘Maybe he’s not the right manager anymore’. That’s how it is. If you know that before, how can it put pressure on your shoulders? I really don’t understand that.

“In a period when you don’t win football games, it’s not easy to be in the same mood with the press as you are in other situations. But not because I don’t like the press; I have no real opinion. When we lose football games you ask questions I don’t have an answer for. ‘Why did you lose the game?’ – I could say because we conceded goals.

“All these things are clear before we start, so where’s the pressure? I don’t feel it. That’s the 100 per cent truth.

“I feel the intensity and the importance of the game, with different situations – Middlesbrough two years ago, Brighton last year, when we want to go to the Champions League with all we have, before finals of course – but it’s not pressure. I feel the intensity and the importance of the tournament and the situation.

“That’s why, pretty much most of the time, I’m in at least an OK mood. When I come in here and have no private problems, I’m in a really good mood because when I come in it’s the moment when we start changing things for the better. We have that chance every day.

“I love doing what I do, I feel really blessed that I have the opportunity to do it.”

Online Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #126 on: November 14, 2018, 06:42:31 pm »
It has been a stuttering start to the season in terms of performances, but we stand just 2 points from City and the 6 points we have dropped have been against top 6 rivals. We haven't pissed away points to teams in the bottom half we just didn't get the wins against Chelsea and Arsenal that we should've got.

Apart from Napoli & Red Star, the season has gone as well as any of us could've imagined in terms of results. The only reason we are being hypercritical about the way we are playing is because we are up against a team who doing even better than us and have already been there and done it.

The problems that we've had up front has led to those 2 bad defeats, and I think a lot of it is down to Bobby being off the pace. Salah is also below his best but he is still scoring at a decent rate as is Mane. Bobby not quite being at it means the whole attack not being quite at it. Having Shaq as someone to dictate our play helps a lot and hopefully Keita will do the same.

I think we just have to be patient, especially while the results are largely still in our favour. Once we get the midfield fit and firing we will start to look better.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: November 14, 2018, 07:16:36 pm »
The next 3 matches will set the tone for the remainder of this first part of the season.

We got 3 different challenges in a 8 day span, after the international break, starting off with Watford away where we've struggled in the past, a side who blow hot and cold but have players who are capable of playing well and causing problems [thankfully it's not a lunchtime kick off], then we have a game in midweek against PSG where we can seal our fate by winning and thus ensuring our progress in the group. A massive challenge away, but we tend to do raise our game in the big occasions, and then we got to deal with the pain the arse that are Everton the following weekend at Anfield, where we expect that they will be aggressive physically and form always goes out the window in those matches.

Hopefully no injuries, touch wood, during this international nightmare, and we can do our best in these three games, if we win all 3, it would be a massive massive statement. But it will be difficult.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #128 on: November 14, 2018, 07:43:14 pm »
The next 3 matches will set the tone for the remainder of this first part of the season.

We got 3 different challenges in a 8 day span, after the international break, starting off with Watford away where we've struggled in the past, a side who blow hot and cold but have players who are capable of playing well and causing problems [thankfully it's not a lunchtime kick off], then we have a game in midweek against PSG where we can seal our fate by winning and thus ensuring our progress in the group. A massive challenge away, but we tend to do raise our game in the big occasions, and then we got to deal with the pain the arse that are Everton the following weekend at Anfield, where we expect that they will be aggressive physically and form always goes out the window in those matches.

Hopefully no injuries, touch wood, during this international nightmare, and we can do our best in these three games, if we win all 3, it would be a massive massive statement. But it will be difficult.

It'll be Everton's Cup Final and they now actually  have a group of decent players capable of working together as s team, so it won't be a walk in the park. Just Mina doesn't carry on the way he did at Chelsea or we may end up with a one legged forward.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: November 14, 2018, 07:50:11 pm »
It'll be Everton's Cup Final and they now actually  have a group of decent players capable of working together as s team, so it won't be a walk in the park. Just Mina doesn't carry on the way he did at Chelsea or we may end up with a one legged forward.

I don't mind Everton feeling themselves and thinking they have a shot, it will be their undoing. But it's never easy against that lot.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: July 4, 2019, 06:00:05 pm »
We did alright didn't we ? :)

Offline stuartheal

• Kopite
« Reply #131 on: July 4, 2019, 06:28:05 pm »
We did alright didn't we ? :)

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆😁

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #132 on: July 4, 2019, 11:28:14 pm »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: November 28, 2019, 02:50:51 pm »
November of last year, November of this year. Same type of discussion going on, just a reminder for those who are under the impression that we played better last year

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #134 on: November 29, 2019, 09:03:12 am »
November of last year, November of this year. Same type of discussion going on, just a reminder for those who are under the impression that we played better last year
A good reminder. And even then the comparisions to 17/18 were a bit off, as most compared us to our best during that season, forgetting that we conceded 5 and 4 to City and Spurs respectively, and had a lot less points at the same stage of the season.

I think it’s fair to say that our defence isn’t quite at the level of last year (both VVD and Gomez were in superb form) but on the other hand, we play better attacking football and score more goals. And most importantly, win even more games!