Author Topic: Virgil Van Dijk (Cpt)  (Read 1461554 times)

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
Re: Virgil Van Dijk PFA Player of the Year, UEFA Player of the Year
« Reply #5920 on: August 30, 2019, 09:04:36 am »
People on social media saying he is overrated and should not have won  ;D ;D ;D people are so fucking angry and biased with their views  :butt

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5921 on: August 30, 2019, 09:35:50 am »

To me, there is no such thing as the best player in the world - there are  too many diverse roles in the team to allow for a single monolithic label like that.

However where it comes to who has been the most effective player in the world, it is difficult to argue against Van Dijk and the effect he has had on Liverpool's fortunes to almost winning the premiership and winning the CL. Messi comes close in helping Barcelona win another league title but falling short getting stuffed by us 4-0 in the CL wil have hurt his cause.

;D

This. Virgil wont ever score as many goals, fantastic free kicks, or nutmeg as many players as Messi, but then can even Messi power 3/4 the length of a pitch to toe poke the ball off an opponent's foot in the penalty area? Making it look childishly easy and without breaking a sweat?

They're both such a commanding presence in their sides, and everyone around them raises their game; but I think (unfairly for him) Barca players - and fans - have come to expect Messi to bail them out when things aren't going well.  I think it's the nature of good defenders that Virgil wont let anybody slack off.

I think saying Virgil is the Messi of defenders is the greatest compliment you can give him.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #5922 on: August 30, 2019, 09:36:59 am »
People on social media saying he is overrated and should not have won  ;D ;D ;D people are so fucking angry and biased with their views  :butt

People are strange.

Offline Entropicity

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5923 on: August 30, 2019, 09:40:43 am »
His trophy looks like a big Jean Paul Gaultier perfume

Probably CR's body.

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5924 on: August 30, 2019, 10:10:16 am »
;D

This. Virgil wont ever score as many goals, fantastic free kicks, or nutmeg as many players as Messi, but then can even Messi power 3/4 the length of a pitch to toe poke the ball off an opponent's foot in the penalty area? Making it look childishly easy and without breaking a sweat?

They're both such a commanding presence in their sides, and everyone around them raises their game; but I think (unfairly for him) Barca players - and fans - have come to expect Messi to bail them out when things aren't going well.  I think it's the nature of good defenders that Virgil wont let anybody slack off.

I think saying Virgil is the Messi of defenders is the greatest compliment you can give him.

So we have the Messi of CBs and the Messi of goalkeepers - that makes our defence the best in the world and you havent even included the best set of fullbacks in the world as well as a very reliable partner for Van Dyk in Matip.

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5925 on: August 30, 2019, 10:12:17 am »
One sign as to just how good Van Dyk is and that knowledge has spread is how Mangala was joking that he was beter than Van DYk because no one had dribbled past him for longer - mainly due to the fact that Mangala hasnt played hardly at all in that time!

https://www.empireofthekop.com/2019/08/28/image-mangala-takes-mickey-out-of-himself-in-virgil-van-dijk-comparison/

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #5926 on: August 30, 2019, 10:16:56 am »
One sign as to just how good Van Dyk is and that knowledge has spread is how Mangala was joking that he was beter than Van DYk because no one had dribbled past him for longer - mainly due to the fact that Mangala hasnt played hardly at all in that time!

https://www.empireofthekop.com/2019/08/28/image-mangala-takes-mickey-out-of-himself-in-virgil-van-dijk-comparison/
Following that logic, Alexis Sanchez was robbed, and Winston Bogarde was the greatest. I'm on board with that.

Honestly though, the winner and 3 players in total on the shortlist. That is superb.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 10:18:49 am by markedasred »
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5927 on: August 30, 2019, 11:48:42 am »
Following that logic, Alexis Sanchez was robbed, and Winston Bogarde was the greatest. I'm on board with that.

Honestly though, the winner and 3 players in total on the shortlist. That is superb.

4 players.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #5928 on: August 30, 2019, 12:27:56 pm »
So we have the Messi of CBs and the Messi of goalkeepers - that makes our defence the best in the world and you havent even included the best set of fullbacks in the world as well as a very reliable partner for Van Dyk in Matip.

I think van Dijk deservedly won the award last night. Equally I think if Messi would have won then it wouldn't have been a travesty. Virgil has had a massive impact on the team that won the CL and got 97 points, and captained his national team to the Nations League final after a few years of under performances. He had a stoing case to win. Messi was incredible last season. He has been incredible to varying degrees for about 10-12 seasons. I think he also had a strong case that was probably damaged by the 4-0 defeat by us.

Where I disagree with the above is that you can't say that VvD is the Messi of the defenders. Or Alisson is the Messi of GKs. Both are arguably currently the best players in their respective positions. If that's how you are describing Messi then fair enough. For me, Messi has been the best player in the World (or at least in the top 2) for 8-10 seasons. He's arguably the best player to have played the game. He's definitely top 3 players ever. When you say 'Messe level' I'm equating it to this type of achievement.

Personally I think VvD and Alisson need to continue at this level for 5+ years to be considered the 'Messi' of defence or the 'Messi' of GKs. Both are capable of doing so. If they can do that, and do it at Liverpool, then we'll be laughing and they'll both be considered in the best players to have ever played for the club. They may be even considered in the conversation for best players in their position ever. Similar to the likes of Cannavaro, Thuram and Buffon. That should be the aim for the likes of VvD, Alisson and others in our squad. They have the ability, drive and structure to make themselves legends at this club and even legends of the game. The key to this is repeating the performances of the last 12- 18 months year in, year out. That's what Hansen did, that's what Clemence did, that's what Souness did, that's what Rushie did, that's what John Barnes did until injury and that's what Kenny did.

No reason why a fair few of the current crop can't do the same over the next 3-5 years.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5929 on: August 30, 2019, 12:39:59 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/RDiA2PIz2ds" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/RDiA2PIz2ds</a>
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5930 on: August 30, 2019, 03:02:33 pm »
worst trophy ever  ;D but happy for him that he won it

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5931 on: August 30, 2019, 04:31:13 pm »
worst trophy ever  ;D but happy for him that he won it

it is horrific. was it designed by the guy that did the famous Ronaldo one?

or some random lazy fuck who decided halfway through the build to quit? And UEFA said fuck it we aren't going to pay him and instead kept the money for hookers and coke, and left the "trophy" as is?

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5932 on: August 30, 2019, 04:43:40 pm »
deserved... Messi is phenomenal, but he is not a better CB than VVD.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5933 on: August 31, 2019, 01:33:52 am »
Why should Messi get the Balon d'Or?

Coz he scorez goalz and thatz all that matterz  ::)

Defo should be Van Dijk or Alisson in how they transformed our side from runner-ups to winners. Individual awards in football are always controversial and subjective, but the players effect on their team should be taken into account. E.g. We beat Messi’s Barca because we shut them out in the second leg. Yes, we needed to score 4, but a single goal would have put us out.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline commando

• Main Stander
« Reply #5934 on: August 31, 2019, 05:03:55 pm »
Enough of Virgil winning the trophy. Have we found out who nicked Ronaldo’s jacket and tie from his dressing room yet?

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5935 on: August 31, 2019, 07:59:58 pm »
Why did they want to ask VVD about Zouma? He scored an own goal, so what?

Edit: seen that he’s recieved racist abuse for the own goal.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 08:01:55 pm by rawcusk8 »
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #5936 on: August 31, 2019, 08:25:42 pm »
Why did they want to ask VVD about Zouma? He scored an own goal, so what?

Edit: seen that he’s recieved racist abuse for the own goal.
I think she misheard instructions.

I think she thought they said she could ask about it in her ear piece...

However they actually said she couldn’t.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #5937 on: August 31, 2019, 09:02:59 pm »
Another imperious performance from him today.

Virgil van Dijk vs Burnley

82% passing
64 completed passes - most on pitch
10/11 aeriel duels - most on pitch
11 clearances - most on pitch
Clean sheet

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #5938 on: August 31, 2019, 09:07:52 pm »
I enjoyed watching Chris Wood try to win a header today.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5939 on: August 31, 2019, 09:41:41 pm »

82% passing
Clean sheet

He had a couple of really casual plays today as well. Wood made him bite on a little pull back and almost scored early. And later he overran the ball on rodriquez chance.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5940 on: August 31, 2019, 10:22:15 pm »

82% passing
Clean sheet

Imperious isn't it ?  He just attracts the ball. I dont think I've ever seen anyone with positional sense as good as Virgils

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5941 on: August 31, 2019, 10:37:55 pm »
Winning the Uefa award has clearly gone to his head. Trying to score 45 yard volleys and getting skinned by Jay Rodriguez. Sell.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #5942 on: August 31, 2019, 10:40:18 pm »
Dribbled passed two times in two games, he’s on a downward spiral, sell him!
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5943 on: September 2, 2019, 10:29:04 am »
This may already have bee referenced but I heard a great interview with Virgil and Graham Hunter. He talks about how he sees defending and the kind of things he reads in a game. Very complimentary of the lads in front of him, and behind, and how positional sense is key to how he plays. Well worth listening to

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5944 on: September 4, 2019, 11:14:28 pm »

;D

Happens all the time to defenders (every game for most). It was just a ridiculous run of games that shows how great he is.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #5945 on: September 5, 2019, 01:53:51 am »
And I imagine because of the publicity attackers see it as a challenge and are specifically trying to dribble past him now
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #5946 on: September 5, 2019, 02:48:24 am »
;D

Happens all the time to defenders (every game for most). It was just a ridiculous run of games that shows how great he is.
It reached peak-ridiculousness in the final. That last burst of pace to deny Son one on one was something else.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #5947 on: September 7, 2019, 09:23:19 am »

That’s as bad as Traore. We need to trade him for Jagielka.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #5948 on: September 7, 2019, 09:52:20 am »
« Last Edit: September 8, 2019, 12:51:35 pm by CHOPPZBOT »
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5949 on: September 7, 2019, 10:54:23 pm »
Signing a new six year contract according to the mirror.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #5950 on: September 7, 2019, 10:57:23 pm »

"Upon this rock I will build my church" - Jurgen Klopp, September 2019*

*might not be a word for word quote.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5951 on: September 7, 2019, 11:12:43 pm »
Feels great that a player like Virgil wants to commit and give his best years to us  :)

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #5952 on: September 7, 2019, 11:20:36 pm »

The newspaper?

Or were you just talking to your reflection?

;D
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5953 on: September 7, 2019, 11:54:32 pm »
Bargain
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #5954 on: September 8, 2019, 01:12:47 am »
I wonder what fraction of a Sanchez his new salary will be?
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5955 on: September 8, 2019, 02:21:00 am »
The newspaper?

;D

ha ha

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #5956 on: September 8, 2019, 03:48:16 am »
I wonder what fraction of a Sanchez his new salary will be?

Looks like maybe about 40% . Sound.

Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #5957 on: September 8, 2019, 06:01:03 am »
200k per week. That's how much United pay Sanchez to play for Inter.  :o :o

All that said, I am sure he has tonnes of performance related bonuses. Contract to 2025.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5958 on: September 8, 2019, 08:05:48 am »
The newspaper?

;D
I don’t have one ;)
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5959 on: September 8, 2019, 08:10:50 am »
The mirror is reporting that VVD has a very highly incentivised contract right now, however his new one will be less loaded with incentives.

Pretty sure it will be the same with Mo etc.

What’s good is this helps our accounts.

Transfer fees are accounted for across the length of a players contract.  So we account for his fee at £15m a year.

If he’s signed a new 6 year contract, it means that the remaining fee (say £45m??) will be spread over 6 years meaning an accounting cost of about £7.m a year.

It’s also worth noting that VVD got a £5m signing on fee and gets a £5m loyalty bonus at some point....

Add that to agents fees and his true cost is pretty much £100m
W