Author Topic: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *  (Read 2933847 times)

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *
« Reply #30400 on: May 3, 2024, 01:47:34 pm »
I dont think he will retire from international football. The one thing he hasnt won yet is a title with Egypt. For his friends and family, winning AFCON would be bigger than anything he has won with us.

Agreed. There isn't a prayer really. Thankfully AFCON is in June next year

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #30401 on: May 3, 2024, 01:51:06 pm »
Where would you play him in a really high intensity Slot team though?
That has to be one of the most pressing questions for Slot now.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #30402 on: May 3, 2024, 02:30:20 pm »
Where would you play him in a really high intensity Slot team though?

Are you arguing Slot won't want him because that's a stretch
Klopp is the godfather of the modern high press and he built an attack round Salah - if you want to work at the top level you have to be able to adjust for high production forwards who don't press that effectively

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #30403 on: May 3, 2024, 03:06:02 pm »
And the award to the biggest load of bollocks I've read on RAWK goes to.....
If you live in England long enough you know how things slide.

Jingoism is part and parcel of English culture.

A lot of evidence behind this if you look at studies too.

We know certain parts of the media have an aversion to Liverpool, so it's not even a stretch to extend it to one of our foreign players.

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
  • Darwin Nunez's lovechild
« Reply #30404 on: May 3, 2024, 03:19:09 pm »

Not saying I agree but I have a Serbian mate that honestly hates Salah because his Arab, Muslim and his words selfish as fuck.

Can't make this shit up lol. 

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30405 on: May 3, 2024, 05:28:07 pm »
I also noted it.

I think it's down to a few reasons:

1. Salah is a Liverpool player.
2. People love seeing us struggle and in-fight.
3. Salah is foreign - there is an element/veneer/angle of subtle racism here.

And to top it off I think Salah is the type of 'foreign' that is the perfect mix to rile prejudiced people up, i.e. he's Arab and Muslim and doesn't have the strongest English.

I honestly think that if Klopp was Arab/Muslim and Salah was the Engerlund captain (Kane!), then we'd see it turned the other way, i.e. Klopp has been way too harsh with Salah...

It definitely plays a part. His name is Mohammed - that will automatically trigger conscious/sub-conscious bias for some people

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #30406 on: May 3, 2024, 06:24:36 pm »
Are you arguing Slot won't want him because that's a stretch
Klopp is the godfather of the modern high press and he built an attack round Salah - if you want to work at the top level you have to be able to adjust for high production forwards who don't press that effectively

I think it is a really interesting question.

Klopp built an attack around Salah when he was one of the quickest players on the planet. He gave us an out ball and Firmino dropping gave Mane and Salah plenty of opportunities to make out to in runs into the space Firmino vacated. It worked because Firmino was an absolute pressing machine but could also drop in and become an extra midfield player when required.

Salah's slowing has been accompanied by our transitioning to a more possession-based team. We have also recruited Nunez who gives us an electric line breaking forward.

The question now is whether Slot adapts his methods and we continue as a possession-based team with a slower build-up which gives Salah the opportunity to continue as a playmaker. Or the team adapts and we become a high-intensity pressing team that looks to win the ball really high up the pitch.

For me Slot wants to invite teams to press us in our defensive and middle thirds so we can play through them and attack with real speed. When we get the ball in the final third we then want to be able to press with huge intensity and keep the ball there the way City do.

I am not sure how Salah fits into that.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Buster Gonad

• Kopite
« Reply #30407 on: May 3, 2024, 08:24:43 pm »

So if he was English do you think he'd get exactly the same treatment?

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30408 on: May 3, 2024, 08:40:50 pm »
So if he was English do you think he'd get exactly the same treatment?

You just have to look at Harry Kane as a prime example. One of the biggest diving twats around - literally robs goals off team mates

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30409 on: May 3, 2024, 09:54:14 pm »
I think it is a really interesting question.

Klopp built an attack around Salah when he was one of the quickest players on the planet. He gave us an out ball and Firmino dropping gave Mane and Salah plenty of opportunities to make out to in runs into the space Firmino vacated. It worked because Firmino was an absolute pressing machine but could also drop in and become an extra midfield player when required.

Salah's slowing has been accompanied by our transitioning to a more possession-based team. We have also recruited Nunez who gives us an electric line breaking forward.

The question now is whether Slot adapts his methods and we continue as a possession-based team with a slower build-up which gives Salah the opportunity to continue as a playmaker. Or the team adapts and we become a high-intensity pressing team that looks to win the ball really high up the pitch.

For me Slot wants to invite teams to press us in our defensive and middle thirds so we can play through them and attack with real speed. When we get the ball in the final third we then want to be able to press with huge intensity and keep the ball there the way City do.

I am not sure how Salah fits into that.

We haven’t really slowed our speed of attack though - we still move the ball forward quicker than any other big team (from memory of the numbers) and Salahs ability to be an outlet for that hasn’t really dipped (he still receives 12 progressive passes per 90 which is elite and hasn’t dropped)

City don’t press high up the pitch in the manner of early Klopp sides .. they sit off the centre backs and are impossible to play through closing when the ball gets played forward as you described … and notably KDB and Haaland barley press or win the ball at all

It is interesting as to how Salah fits but he’s still producing elite level attacking numbers that are incredibly hard to replicate or replace … and like Klopp and Pep if Slot wants to succeed at the top level he’ll have to adapt to high out put forwards who don’t press, aren’t great defenders.
If not then we should move Salah on - but it’s way easier to build a shape with great attackers that can’t defend in it than to find elite attackers
« Last Edit: May 3, 2024, 10:09:22 pm by JackWard33 »

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30410 on: May 3, 2024, 10:20:34 pm »
You just have to look at Harry Kane as a prime example. One of the biggest diving twats around - literally robs goals off team mates

Kane's not a diver though. He cleverly wins fouls. And he's not greedy either. He's just a striker and he needs that ruthless streak to be successful, all strikers have that. Kane however is English, so that makes him uncriticizable.
That Egyptian fella though. Diving selfish fucker 

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #30411 on: May 3, 2024, 10:22:20 pm »
We haven’t really slowed our speed of attack though - we still move the ball forward quicker than any other big team (from memory of the numbers)

What we don't really do anymore though is go long early. We used to go long into the channels and look to squeeze up and win second balls. Now we tend to pass it around at the back between Ali and the centrebacks and try and play through teams.

City don’t press high up the pitch in the manner of early Klopp sides .. they sit off the centre backs and are impossible to play through (Haaland and KDB barely ‘press’ at all) closing when the ball gets played forward.

It isn't about pressing when other teams have the ball for any length of period. What City do really well is get the ball into the final third and then keep it there. That is what I feel Slot will try and do. Try and draw teams out play through them a bit like Brighton and City do and then try and pen teams in. 

It is interesting as to how Salah fits but he’s still producing elite level attacking numbers that are incredibly hard to replicate or replace … and like Klopp and Pep if Slot wants to succeed at the top level he’ll have to adapt to high out put forwards who don’t press, aren’t great defenders

Slot sets his teams up to be very good defensively though. It will be a fine balancing act between what Salah gives us in the final third compared to the negatives over his defensive work rate especially if Trent plays as a right back. Ideally you would bring him inside and play him behind the 9 as the central player in the 3 in the 4-2-3-1. The issue there though is that player tends to be the trigger for when the other 8's and the 6's go. The kind of job Lallana and latterly Firmino did for us. I am not sure Salah has the instincts to do that.

Klopp initially said that gegenpressing was our playmaker. It wouldn't surprise me if Slot's team will be closer to Klopp's initial team than what we have become.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Kalito

• Legacy Fan
  • ***JFT97***
« Reply #30412 on: May 3, 2024, 10:26:44 pm »
Not saying I agree but I have a Serbian mate that honestly hates Salah because his Arab, Muslim and his words selfish as fuck.

Can't make this shit up lol.
Your mate's a massive c*nt.  :D
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Mr Bill Shankly

"be careful of media, they can make you hate the oppressed and love the oppressors." - Malcolm X

The notion that an Occupier is defending itself is as absurd as the notion that the rapist is defending itself from the victim.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30413 on: May 4, 2024, 10:51:04 am »
What we don't really do anymore though is go long early. We used to go long into the channels and look to squeeze up and win second balls. Now we tend to pass it around at the back between Ali and the centrebacks and try and play through teams.

It isn't about pressing when other teams have the ball for any length of period. What City do really well is get the ball into the final third and then keep it there. That is what I feel Slot will try and do. Try and draw teams out play through them a bit like Brighton and City do and then try and pen teams in. 

Slot sets his teams up to be very good defensively though. It will be a fine balancing act between what Salah gives us in the final third compared to the negatives over his defensive work rate especially if Trent plays as a right back. Ideally you would bring him inside and play him behind the 9 as the central player in the 3 in the 4-2-3-1. The issue there though is that player tends to be the trigger for when the other 8's and the 6's go. The kind of job Lallana and latterly Firmino did for us. I am not sure Salah has the instincts to do that.

Klopp initially said that gegenpressing was our playmaker. It wouldn't surprise me if Slot's team will be closer to Klopp's initial team than what we have become.

I don’t massively disagree with any of that … but my push back would be that you’re citing City - rightly - well they do everything you’re saying with Haaland as the 9 and KDB basically as a central ish AM and they’re both pretty horrible in terms of defensive actions (counter pressures, actually winning the ball) but do a good job, like all City’s attackers, of getting in shape and penning teams in
I can’t see a particular reason why we can’t incorporate Salah similarly .. not least because we have for years in one way or another

Ultimately if Salah keeps his level (0.96 xa + xg in the league!) you want him on the pitch

Offline terry_macss_perm

• looking to be flogged
  • Kopite
« Reply #30414 on: May 4, 2024, 11:18:37 am »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gqH_0LPVoho

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #30415 on: May 4, 2024, 11:27:01 am »
I don’t massively disagree with any of that … but my push back would be that you’re citing City - rightly - well they do everything you’re saying with Haaland as the 9 and KDB basically as a central ish AM and they’re both pretty horrible in terms of defensive actions (counter pressures, actually winning the ball) but do a good job, like all City’s attackers, of getting in shape and penning teams in
I can’t see a particular reason why we can’t incorporate Salah similarly .. not least because we have for years in one way or another

Ultimately if Salah keeps his level (0.96 xa + xg in the league!) you want him on the pitch

Again I agree with most of that.

I will really put you on the spot now. For me I don't thing Salah has the dribbling ability and pace to play as a wide attacker for Slot. Klopp basically created a role for Salah that allowed him to cheat defensively. He offered so much going forward that it simply didn't make sense to ask him to track back.

Slot is different far from getting to cheat, his wide players get the highest workload of all the players in his team. Slot tends to tell his wide players to run themselves into the ground for an hour and then swaps them out.

This is where it gets tricky. For me the best position for Salah would be as the tip of the midfield in a 4-2-3-1. It is not perfect but probably the best compromise. The thing is if you were going to create a position for Elliott then that role would be perfect. So who would you go for?
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30416 on: May 5, 2024, 06:27:28 pm »
Shame he was out there terrorising defenders for us. We should have ripped up his contract after some handbags after all.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #30417 on: May 5, 2024, 06:30:43 pm »
There you are Mo! We've missed you.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #30418 on: May 5, 2024, 07:30:08 pm »
Funny what a few days off can do.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #30419 on: May 5, 2024, 07:52:27 pm »
Funny what a few days off can do.

Thought he was really sharp when he came on at West Ham and said after that he'd shown more than he had for a while.

Should have had that row with Klopp a few weeks earlier, as he was sleepwalking for weeks. Hit his worst ever form for us at the worst time (business end of the season, Jota injured, Nunez goals dried up).
« Last Edit: May 5, 2024, 07:54:05 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Redbonnie

• Kopite
« Reply #30420 on: May 5, 2024, 08:00:29 pm »
He was still slow today, the team played better around him. Too little too late unfortunately.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30421 on: May 5, 2024, 08:12:19 pm »
He was still slow today, the team played better around him. Too little too late unfortunately.

He's not quick anymore really, but like Mane when he lost his pace he's still got that clever movement and sharpness in the box. his finishing was just hellish recently but was more back on it today (bar that bad miss near the end).

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #30422 on: May 5, 2024, 08:14:49 pm »
At his best this season he's had Nunez running in behind, he's great at weighting the right ball on the outside of the defense. He's arguably the best in the business at it.
:D

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #30423 on: May 5, 2024, 08:14:51 pm »

He's not quick anymore really, but like Mane when he lost his pace he's still got that clever movement and sharpness in the box. his finishing was just hellish recently but was more back on it today (bar that bad miss near the end).

The one for Robbo's goal he hit it straight at the keeper and hit the post early on. He hasn't been at his best in front of goal lately.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30424 on: May 5, 2024, 08:29:22 pm »
The one for Robbo's goal he hit it straight at the keeper and hit the post early on. He hasn't been at his best in front of goal lately.

At Everton he was blazing shots miles over the bar from good positions, certainly an improvement on how bad his finishing has been lately.

That shot that hit the bar was tremendous technique (assuming he meant to shoot) although the VAR killjoys would have had that offside from the build up had it gone in. A few times he could have took the shot on but was looking to pass a lot.

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30425 on: May 5, 2024, 08:33:19 pm »
i doubt the Saudis will bid that type of money again will they?

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30426 on: May 5, 2024, 08:38:18 pm »
Miles better today, that's more like it!

I think if you're penning teams in, he's still going to be exceptional which to be fair is probably most of our games? His movement was great today though he obviously isn't really able to outpace defenders the same way he used to. When the game became a bit more stretched and Spurs pushed their line higher I thought you saw how he and we as a team struggled a bit more, and a lot of their play in their little flurry came down our right hand side it felt, although that might just be because it was Son on that side.

I do think in general, having him and Trent on the same side is both a strength and a weakness, and a bit of a conundrum. Unreal playmaking and offensive threat, but a bit of a black hole defensively.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30427 on: May 5, 2024, 09:24:22 pm »
Mo needed that bust up in some weird way to get fired up again. Jurgen knows what he’s doing ;)
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Hestoic

• Kopite
« Reply #30428 on: May 5, 2024, 09:40:15 pm »
Imagine wanting him sold because of a bad spell after his first major injury in 7(?) years.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30429 on: May 5, 2024, 09:49:04 pm »
Imagine wanting him sold because of a bad spell after his first major injury in 7(?) years.
It has been expanded on already in the last few pages. It's his contract situation, his position, squad role and the team structure.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30430 on: May 5, 2024, 09:54:18 pm »

Felt like pissing in the wind a few days ago trying to defend Mo after “the spat”. Some fickle folk really acted cuntishly on here
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #30431 on: May 5, 2024, 09:55:29 pm »
i doubt the Saudis will bid that type of money again will they?
Clearly he's upped his game as a come get me plea 😂
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Redbonnie

• Kopite
« Reply #30432 on: May 5, 2024, 10:08:56 pm »
Felt like pissing in the wind a few days ago trying to defend Mo after “the spat”. Some fickle folk really acted cuntishly on here

It’s not fickle, his legs have gone. Happened to Firmino, Mane, Henderson, but his profile means we could still get big money for him. He’s been a great servant but foolish to let him go on a free.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #30433 on: May 5, 2024, 10:23:33 pm »

Unbelievable. Also, wrong.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30434 on: May 5, 2024, 10:23:55 pm »
It’s not fickle, his legs have gone. Happened to Firmino, Mane, Henderson, but his profile means we could still get big money for him. He’s been a great servant but foolish to let him go on a free.

His legs have most certainly not gone.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #30435 on: May 5, 2024, 10:24:05 pm »
In other news:

"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #30436 on: May 5, 2024, 10:26:11 pm »
Could tell in the warm up he was 'on it'. He was smashing goals in left right and centre and I said he'll score today.

His performance was superb throughout and he showed everyone why he's world class.

I love the lad. My heart's saying he'll stay, but my head's saying this will be his last season here.

We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30437 on: May 5, 2024, 10:46:48 pm »
Better today but context and everything

Emerson Royal tax is huge

Offline Redbonnie

• Kopite
« Reply #30438 on: May 5, 2024, 11:24:57 pm »
Unbelievable. Also, wrong.

Why wrong? If you were at the game you must have seem him with his head down pushing but getting easily out paced, or the foot races he gave up.

Offline DHRED

• Anny Roader
« Reply #30439 on: May 5, 2024, 11:34:16 pm »
Could tell in the warm up he was 'on it'. He was smashing goals in left right and centre and I said he'll score today.

His performance was superb throughout and he showed everyone why he's world class.

I love the lad. My heart's saying he'll stay, but my head's saying this will be his last season here.

Name one player in world football who can consistently match or better his output and who’s available on the market.

You can’t.