Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3306143 times)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #25680 on: May 27, 2021, 02:32:21 pm »
This isn’t meant as some ridiculous critics by by the way, just a talking point!...just listened to the latest AFQ football where they had to pick a 5 a side team with one player per manager. Don’t think anyone went for Coutinho. He’d be impossible to get the ball off and grew up playing futsal didn’t he?

Anyway, not going to cancel my subscription in a big huff, just thought I’d chuck his name in there. :D

Online Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #25681 on: May 27, 2021, 04:05:56 pm »
Neil

I have just read today's email.  Whilst I agree with most of what you have to say on yesterday's events - I, personally, cannot take any positives from the trial collapsing. 

I am one of those exhausted people you describe.  My ex-husband was seriously injured at Hillsborough and it has consumed both our lives ever since.  We have both paid a heavy price.  I wanted someone to go to jail over this. 

I mean ultimately I wanted Duckenfield jailed, but he has been tried twice and there is nothing else to be done there.  So I consoled myself that these charges of Perverting the course of Justice  would have to do.  Better than nothing.  But alas it seems that police officers can now lie with impunity.

I'll leave it there as I am too emotional right now.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 04:18:17 pm by Millie »
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Online Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #25682 on: May 27, 2021, 04:18:24 pm »
Genuine question folks (as opposed to the rhetorical one it might sound like)...is there anyone out there as good as TAW?

From other clubs I mean.

Offline klopptopia

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #25683 on: May 27, 2021, 05:03:08 pm »
This isn’t meant as some ridiculous critics by by the way, just a talking point!...just listened to the latest AFQ football where they had to pick a 5 a side team with one player per manager. Don’t think anyone went for Coutinho. He’d be impossible to get the ball off and grew up playing futsal didn’t he?

Anyway, not going to cancel my subscription in a big huff, just thought I’d chuck his name in there. :D

Some fella called Thiago in our current team would be decent too, mine would be:

Reina (Owl)
Agger (Kenny)
Gerrard (Rafa)
Thiago(Klopp)
Suarez (Rodgers)

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #25684 on: May 27, 2021, 05:15:16 pm »
Some fella called Thiago in our current team would be decent too, mine would be:

Reina (Owl)
Agger (Kenny)
Gerrard (Rafa)
Thiago(Klopp)
Suarez (Rodgers)

As if you're not picking Mo

Online Millie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #25685 on: May 27, 2021, 08:37:35 pm »
Just want to say that the Phil Scraton special today was tremendous. 

What a brilliant man he is.

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Big Bamber

• Having a lovely time, living the best time of his life
  • Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #25686 on: May 28, 2021, 12:54:49 am »
Gibbo’s interview of Phil Scraton deserves a national award.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #25687 on: May 28, 2021, 02:21:06 am »
Just want to say that the Phil Scraton special today was tremendous. 

What a brilliant man he is.
Incredible.

If anyone wants to help try and get the Hillsborough Bill back before Parliament - please sign here: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/587419/sponsors/new?token=hLrziqepV8-u5Y6Pg2sV
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Cafe De Paris

• Kopite
  • Up the Red Men
« Reply #25688 on: May 28, 2021, 08:41:30 am »
Brilliant of TAW to get Prof. Phil Scraton to respond to the news. Truly incredible person. Thank you TAW.
LFC a bastion of invincibility.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #25689 on: May 28, 2021, 08:57:23 am »
As said already, Phil Scraton speaks so well on Hillsborough. He breaks things down very well and is just really clear with how he presents the facts. That was an essential listen and I hope non Liverpool supporters take the time to listen to it.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #25690 on: May 28, 2021, 09:54:19 am »
Genuine question folks (as opposed to the rhetorical one it might sound like)...is there anyone out there as good as TAW?

From other clubs I mean.
I’m not sure many other fanbases have a podcast provider that offers such diverse and widespread content.

However, there are podcasts that are similar that aren’t just based on grim banter-based tribalism where you get that Talksport-lite approach.

The Villa Podcast can be very insightful and is delivered in a very easy, droll manner - they’re all Irish and has more than a passing similarity to the excellent Second Captains. The Blue Room - which has worked with TAW over the years - is decent and doesn’t particularly fall into the ‘RS’ strand of Evertonianism.

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #25691 on: May 28, 2021, 10:02:43 am »
I enjoy not giving spoilers for a late 80's film more than I should.

Online Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25692 on: May 28, 2021, 10:10:42 am »
I’m not sure many other fanbases have a podcast provider that offers such diverse and widespread content.

However, there are podcasts that are similar that aren’t just based on grim banter-based tribalism where you get that Talksport-lite approach.

The Villa Podcast can be very insightful and is delivered in a very easy, droll manner - they’re all Irish and has more than a passing similarity to the excellent Second Captains. The Blue Room - which has worked with TAW over the years - is decent and doesn’t particularly fall into the ‘RS’ strand of Evertonianism.
Cheers Fitzy. Just thought I might broaden my horizons a bit but wanted to avoid the ‘banter’ stuff you mention.

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #25693 on: May 28, 2021, 10:22:36 am »
+ 1 for professor Phil Scraton.

The absolute best

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25694 on: May 28, 2021, 10:29:29 am »

From other clubs I mean.

A Celtic State of Mind is very good. Main host Paul John Dykes is great, a bit like Neil in some aspects. They discussed Hillsborough recently and seem a great bunch who get what the culture and values of football should be.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #25695 on: May 28, 2021, 10:40:30 am »
A Celtic State of Mind is very good. Main host Paul John Dykes is great, a bit like Neil in some aspects. They discussed Hillsborough recently and seem a great bunch who get what the culture and values of football should be.
This is so important. Of course the actual football takes up a lot of airtime but it has to come from an authentic place with a fundamental understanding of the DNA and historical context of football in a wider sense. Twitter-based / banter-style coverage is often dominated with young, daft lads engaging in pissing contests about transfers and dull one-upmanship that actually bears no reflection of how football clubs operate and are, frankly, dehumanising in how it views footballers and managers.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #25696 on: May 28, 2021, 11:13:29 am »

The absolute best

An incredible human being he is.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #25697 on: May 28, 2021, 11:37:35 am »
Incredible.

If anyone wants to help try and get the Hillsborough Bill back before Parliament - please sign here: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/587419/sponsors/new?token=hLrziqepV8-u5Y6Pg2sV

Says we can't sign it yet, will check back next week.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25698 on: May 28, 2021, 12:29:47 pm »
Cheers matt

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25699 on: May 28, 2021, 01:51:33 pm »

The absolute best
This isn't a free show is it? I've tried to access it without logging in to send it to a few people.

It would be really good if it was available on the site as a free show for wide circulation.

Offline Don Vito Corleone

• I want you all to call me Loretta
  • Legacy Fan
  • They talk when they should be listening
« Reply #25700 on: May 28, 2021, 02:28:35 pm »
This isn't a free show is it? I've tried to access it without logging in to send it to a few people.

It would be really good if it was available on the site as a free show for wide circulation.

Yeah, we released it as a free show, available here https://audioboom.com/posts/7875409-phil-scraton-on-the-hillsborough-trial-taw-special
"I never wanted this for you. I work my whole life--I don't apologize--to take care of my family, and I refused to be a fool, dancing on the string held by all those bigshots. I don't apologize--that's my life--but I thought that, that when it was your time, that you would be the one to hold the string."

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25701 on: May 28, 2021, 04:07:03 pm »
Thanks Andy, brill.

Online Millie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #25702 on: May 28, 2021, 04:21:07 pm »
John, the great man himself has started a thread here

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=347770.0

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Damian V

• Anny Roader
« Reply #25703 on: May 31, 2021, 02:48:02 pm »
I wonder if we'll ever be able to watch the latest Top Six show?

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #25704 on: May 31, 2021, 05:42:24 pm »
I wonder if we'll ever be able to watch the latest Top Six show?

Yeah @Don Vito Corleone the Top Six show has been broken on TAW Video player for about a week ;D

« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 05:44:04 pm by Kashinoda »
:D

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25705 on: June 2, 2021, 10:59:55 am »
A bit late, but the interview with Prof. Scraton was unbelievably powerful and poignant.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25706 on: June 3, 2021, 07:47:53 am »
I thought the season review on the main show was brilliant lads. Really thoughtful contributions especially from Mo. Also enormous LOL "Football miracles, week in, week out, on a yearly basis" 😂

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25707 on: June 3, 2021, 08:53:30 am »
Yeah, it was excellent. Great shout on Alisson's goal. It sucked me back in after being hugely disillusioned with the game given the greed of our owners.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #25708 on: June 3, 2021, 08:50:14 pm »
The review stuff has been really good.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #25709 on: June 3, 2021, 09:06:35 pm »
I liked the comment from an Everton fan….

Football miracles every week… we don’t really get that, but we’ve had quite a lot of amazing stuff over the last few years…

It was said as a joke, but was actually quite poignant when it came to the discussing the Alisson goal
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #25710 on: June 4, 2021, 08:47:00 am »
Couple of things. Catching up on the season review shows.

Enjoyed (as ever) Mo and Robbo, but by God I'd go to war with Atko after one of his speeches. Brilliant and actually already has me waiting for the friendly fixtures.

On the "miracles" thing. We are a different kind of football club.

For some clubs their greatest achievement is a 3-3 draw with us after we'd tried to win a game 47-0 to win the title.

Other clubs would have DVD's about a goalie scoring an injury time bullet header. It's just another in a long line of moments of why we love the football club.

We've been on the other side too, for all of the "no one will ever top the Aguero 93:20 moment talk" Arsenal did it in far more dramatic style years earlier against us.

But of course football was only invented in 1992

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25711 on: June 5, 2021, 08:53:36 am »
I’ve said it before but I really really enjoy the review show, the 2 part season review has been really good.

When I first started listening to the Anfield Wrap I had little interest in tactics beyond formations and never really bothered with the review as I was more interested in the more passionate after match reaction stuff, but once I gave it a chance I loved it and it’s maybe my favourite show now.

Nice to have it back as I’ll be honest, there’s no way I could stomach a 40 minute tactical analysis of our games in the early part of this year, so I gave it the swerve for a couple of months.

Offline Big Bamber

• Having a lovely time, living the best time of his life
  • Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #25712 on: June 5, 2021, 12:35:47 pm »

Yes and hat-tip to Paul Senior for his honest look-back. Struck a chord with many supporters I’d say.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #25713 on: June 6, 2021, 07:46:04 pm »
I liked the comment from an Everton fan….

Football miracles every week… we don’t really get that, but we’ve had quite a lot of amazing stuff over the last few years…

It was said as a joke, but was actually quite poignant when it came to the discussing the Alisson goal
Ha.

Yes...they call this 'radical candour'!

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25714 on: June 7, 2021, 04:15:27 pm »
Nice reminisce about the 2000/01 season today. What brilliant memories.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #25715 on: June 7, 2021, 04:21:59 pm »
Still up there as one of my favourite seasons. The long build up, battering Palace in that second leg semi and realising we were well placed in 3 cups, then the late charge in the league to get top 3 as well.

I went travelling in March so the last games I went to were Roma and then the League Cup final. Had to keep up with the run in around Thailand and Australia (and my mum got to go to the FA Cup final with what should have been my ticket!) but I’ll remember that season forever and will always be able to remember where I was for those last couple of months. Such a fun season.

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25716 on: June 7, 2021, 05:28:40 pm »
Review stuff has been excellent. The Home Alone burglars analogy was hilarious.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Online Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25717 on: June 7, 2021, 08:07:15 pm »
Still up there as one of my favourite seasons. The long build up, battering Palace in that second leg semi and realising we were well placed in 3 cups, then the late charge in the league to get top 3 as well.

I went travelling in March so the last games I went to were Roma and then the League Cup final. Had to keep up with the run in around Thailand and Australia (and my mum got to go to the FA Cup final with what should have been my ticket!) but I’ll remember that season forever and will always be able to remember where I was for those last couple of months. Such a fun season.
Absolutely one of the best seasons, really enjoying 2001 week. My first ever European away (Barcelona) was just mind blowing. I think we took 1000s & 1000s to that game. I remember thinking, ‘Christ, is this the norm?’ as we walked past the sea of red down Las Ramblas, but some old hands said there was definitely more than usual. Then the two cup finals in a week were both unbelievable. Cardiff in the sunshine, then Dortmund swapping scarves and shirts with the Basque fans. We looked more like Alaves supporters by about 2pm ;D

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25718 on: June 8, 2021, 06:47:22 am »
Review stuff has been good, especially from the 'Review' people (Neil, Sean, Dan, Paul), but am I the only one missing Gutters a bit? - I thought there were meant to be three a week, but seems like there hasn't been one for a while. I understand wanting to do lookback stuff and specials like 2001 when there are no games, but personally I'd still like as much current stuff as possible, especially when it's a big summer for renewing the squad.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25719 on: June 8, 2021, 07:47:28 am »
Can't wait to listen to the 2001 stuff. Anyone of my generation basically in their 30-early 40s this will be one of the greatest seasons ever. Would love if anyone has any good pictures of the Paisley night mosaics against roma.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3