Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3308720 times)

Online koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #26920 on: May 12, 2022, 08:22:29 pm »
Does Neil actually think Chelsea will beat us?? I have to know! Haha
I for one welcome our new insect overloads

Online craiglfc7

• Main Stander
    • My twitter
« Reply #26921 on: May 13, 2022, 10:21:10 am »
The little kid next to them ;D

Was that little kid's first away!!

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #26922 on: May 13, 2022, 10:22:55 am »
Was that little kid's first away!!

Such a great picture of him!

Is that Willy Wonka bottom right?

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #26923 on: May 13, 2022, 10:25:02 am »
Another shout for the FA Cup memories part 1. Genuinely brilliant listen.

Part 1 and apart 2 were brilliant listens.

The 1st FA Cup final I can remember watching was 1985. I went in 86, 88, 95 and 06. Went to a few of the cup games in 89 but not the final. Can’t remember about 92. Defo didn’t go the final. My favourite FA Cup memory was actually the SF in 2006 v Chelsea at Old Trafford. Amazing day and a great feeling beating them in another SF.

Was great hearing the stories about the finals and some of the familiarities with my own experiences. TAW is the only podcast that I think can do this. They have the breadth of contributors with a range of experience that can tap into the vibe of the club and the city at various points in time, including the present. That’s what sets them apart from other LFC podcasts.

EDIT: the 1st part reminded me that semi final cup day and the grand national were the same day on some occasions. Remember being at the 1988 semi final and hearing Rhyme and Reason had won the national. Liverpool won and I’d backed the winner. Looking back its a it weird that the Grand national and FA Cup semi final were on at the same time.  Back in the late 80’s there wasn’t a day bigger in the football calendar than FA Cup semi final day. The grand national was/is a huge national sporting event. Particularly in Liverpool.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 10:33:17 am by Jookie »
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26924 on: May 13, 2022, 10:26:54 am »
Another shout for the FA Cup memories part 1. Genuinely brilliant listen. Such a knowledgable bunch who have been to so many big games. Loved every second.

Also nice that it’s not just me who can recall details from games from 30 years ago! Loved the Keith Houchen chat. Can remember old finals like that clear as day. Don’t think I’ve watched a cup final in the last 10 years (apart from one I ended up getting a ticket for the night before!).

Ah mate, nice, was About 9 when kieth Houtchin scored that diving header in the fa cup final. Thought it was amazing. As an adult. Scoring a diving header in the fa cup final is still pretty cool. Different era, was fun though. Big Snoz was Coventy’s manager? Haha what a name. Looking forward to our cup final. Happy days.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 10:59:10 am by red1977 »

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26925 on: May 13, 2022, 10:44:38 am »
Honestly, listen to part 1 too. First Cup Final I remember us in was 86. First final I can vaguely remember was Everton v Watford in 84 but I know enough about ‘the olden days’ to enjoy the chat around the 70s finals too.

Been listening this morning - absolutely great too as I knew it would be. Surprised Rob G is older than Damien Kavanagh, but great memories, not the usual cliches. I just leap to part 2 first because of my memories of those games.

Was so interested in the chat around Sunderland final in 1992. "It felt like a decade since we'd won the league", how Souness's actions and situation had tarred it, and how because we barely beat Portsmouth (Darren Anderton my main memory of them) and Sunderland (also second division at the time) it didn't feel that special at all. Which I think is all true.

My main memory of that cup final was (being 9) the copy of Shoot magazine which was a double cup final special with the Scottish Cup which Airdrieonians were in.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26926 on: May 13, 2022, 11:10:12 am »
Genuinely remarkable how people can remember so much about football.

Online Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26927 on: May 13, 2022, 11:51:51 am »
Was so interested in the chat around Sunderland final in 1992. "It felt like a decade since we'd won the league", how Souness's actions and situation had tarred it, and how because we barely beat Portsmouth (Darren Anderton my main memory of them) and Sunderland (also second division at the time) it didn't feel that special at all. Which I think is all true.

The run to the final in 1992 wasn’t that great either. Only played 1 top flight team (Villa). Looking back we got 29k for a Quarter Final at home in the FA Cup. Very different time and place but it probably hints at the general apathy to what was happening on the pitch.

I remember the semi final vPortsmouth in 1992. Can also remember the 3rd round win at Crewe. Pretty sure John Barnes returned from injury and scored an amazing back heel goal. Don’t remember much about beating Bristol Rovers or Ipswich (both after a replay) or Villa in QF.

Think 92 is the least fondly remembered FA Cup win in my time

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #26928 on: May 13, 2022, 12:11:08 pm »
The run to the final in 1992 wasn’t that great either. Only played 1 top flight team (Villa). Looking back we got 29k for a Quarter Final at home in the FA Cup. Very different time and place but it probably hints at the general apathy to what was happening on the pitch.

I remember the semi final vPortsmouth in 1992. Can also remember the 3rd round win at Crewe. Pretty sure John Barnes returned from injury and scored an amazing back heel goal. Don’t remember much about beating Bristol Rovers or Ipswich (both after a replay) or Villa in QF.

Bristol Rovers we had a 1-1 draw away. Think they were having to play their home games in Bath because their old ground in Bristol was too old. We were losing in the replay at Anfield before McManaman scored a great goal to possibly equalise.

Ipswich was a 0-0 away where again I think we were a bit lucky, and again we were losing at home in the replay, 2-1 I think before Molby scored a free kick?

That cup run was where McManaman came of age a bit. He was really good against Portsmouth too and also the final. That’s when we first started to see some sustained excellence from him.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26929 on: May 13, 2022, 12:44:58 pm »

My main memory of the Bristol Rovers games was they had a player called Saunders as well who was constantly referred to as Dean Saunders' "namesake" - and they had quartered kits which was quite odd.

Edit: Deep in the weeds on the Bristol Rovers wikipedia page:
"The team has never played in European competition; the closest Rovers came was when they missed out on reaching the international stage of the Anglo-Italian Cup in the 1992–93 season on a coin toss held over the phone with West Ham United."
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 12:48:39 pm by lamonti »

Offline Alisson Wonderland

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #26930 on: May 13, 2022, 12:48:50 pm »
EDIT: the 1st part reminded me that semi final cup day and the grand national were the same day on some occasions. Remember being at the 1988 semi final and hearing Rhyme and Reason had won the national. Liverpool won and I’d backed the winner. Looking back its a it weird that the Grand national and FA Cup semi final were on at the same time.  Back in the late 80’s there wasn’t a day bigger in the football calendar than FA Cup semi final day. The grand national was/is a huge national sporting event. Particularly in Liverpool.
One of my favourite days watching us was the 2012 FA Cup semi against Everton. Obvioulsy we had big Andy Carroll scoring the winner, but because it was an early kick off, there were loads who stayed in the pubs around Wembley and we watched the National on the big screen.  Can't remember if I backed the winner or not but it was a great atmosphere to continue a brilliant day.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #26931 on: May 13, 2022, 12:55:03 pm »
Bristol Rovers we had a 1-1 draw away. Think they were having to play their home games in Bath because their old ground in Bristol was too old. We were losing in the replay at Anfield before McManaman scored a great goal to possibly equalise.

Ipswich was a 0-0 away where again I think we were a bit lucky, and again we were losing at home in the replay, 2-1 I think before Molby scored a free kick?

That cup run was where McManaman came of age a bit. He was really good against Portsmouth too and also the final. That’s when we first started to see some sustained excellence from him.
That Ipswich game was the windiest weather I’ve ever seen a football match played in. About 5 us were there as we’d played our under 16s match in the morning and got dropped off in town by the ground to go. Got McManamans and Grobbelaar’s autograph after the game. Bruce fumbled the pen (obviously) as he was writing one for a girl in front of me and I caught it. Bruce goes “nice catch son, now give it back to the lady”. Me and my friends laughed about that for days, the game however was definitely forgettable.

Oh and I remember that McManaman goal v Bristol Rovers being good as I complimented him on it as he signed me the autograph. He was polite and said thanks.

Edit: and will always remember the Motson commentary on that Molby goal in the replay calling it an absolute belter
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 12:59:30 pm by duvva »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #26932 on: May 13, 2022, 01:02:05 pm »

I was 7 when Michael Thomas scored that goal for Arsenal and cried about it for hours afterwards. Couldn’t bring myself to cheer his goal 3 years later, so glad Rushy got one too. He’s probably a nice chap but he ruined many a reds night, couldn’t forgive him as an unreasonable 10 year old.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #26933 on: May 13, 2022, 01:03:29 pm »
Was Molby’s goal a free kick right on the edge of the box, Annie Rd end? Think he somehow pinged it into the top corner.

Online Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26934 on: May 13, 2022, 02:57:10 pm »
Was Molby’s goal a free kick right on the edge of the box, Annie Rd end? Think he somehow pinged it into the top corner.

I had a look at the game on YouTube and you are right. Banged it top corner.

Interestingly it followed a foul on McManaman. Must have been fouled 25 yards from goal. Moby took the free kick from the edge of the box. No idea how the ref let us take the free kick from that position

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26935 on: May 13, 2022, 10:00:59 pm »
Any reason you can't upgrade via the app lads? Really think you are doing yourselves a disservice there.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26936 on: May 14, 2022, 09:50:38 am »

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26937 on: May 14, 2022, 10:34:58 am »
As ever the pre-final content has been boss.

Love the interview with Tyldesley, always enjoy hearing his stories.

Offline aka_da_saus

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • follow me on twitter @aka_da_saus
« Reply #26938 on: May 15, 2022, 01:54:30 am »
Gibbo introduction to pink 😂😂😂😂aboi gibbo dead right
we hate nottingham forest
we hate everton 2 THERE SHIT
we hate man united
but liverpool we love u
all together now

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26939 on: May 15, 2022, 04:29:31 am »
Great stuff Gibbo, excellent post final Pink again.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #26940 on: May 15, 2022, 10:08:12 am »

:D

Also, Kev Walsh - voice of an Angel.

Hope The Real Thing gets going after every big win. Absolute belter!

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #26941 on: May 15, 2022, 11:29:01 am »

Nearly spat my coffee all over the place when I put it on this morning

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26942 on: May 15, 2022, 07:11:09 pm »
Speaking on behalf of the virgins, thought it was a bit thin-skinned myself. But I did appreciate the second pink that wasn't just noise.

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26943 on: May 15, 2022, 08:52:58 pm »
Gibbo vs Rawk Virgins is a lovely little side plot to the main narrative of the QUAD.

I do hope it ends with an Anchorman style face off before the Charity Shield on Lark Lane.
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline OkieRedman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26944 on: May 16, 2022, 12:19:56 am »
Sean on The Review said Mount's pen should have been taken again because Allisson grabbed it due to that back spin that would have taken it into the net. Is that right?  :o

And what's this RAKW virgins stuff about? People being upset that they can't understand Gibbo after the matches sometimes?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 12:24:43 am by OkieRedman »

Offline rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
« Reply #26945 on: May 16, 2022, 01:09:35 am »
Sean on The Review said Mount's pen should have been taken again because Allisson grabbed it due to that back spin that would have taken it into the net. Is that right?  :o

And what's this RAKW virgins stuff about? People being upset that they can't understand Gibbo after the matches sometimes?

No that is fucking dumb, the reason Allison grabbed it is because it was still in play, and had the backspin took it in, it would have been a goal, hence he had to stop it

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #26946 on: May 16, 2022, 02:29:38 am »
Yeah not sure what Sean is on about, the IFAB rules simply state the kicker may not touch it twice.

The kick is completed when the ball stops moving, goes out of play or the referee stops play for any offence; the kicker may not play the ball a second time

10.3 Kicks from the penalty mark:
https://www.theifab.com/laws/latest/determining-the-outcome-of-a-match/#kicks-from-the-penalty-mark

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #26947 on: May 16, 2022, 05:59:44 am »
Speaking on behalf of the virgins, thought it was a bit thin-skinned myself. But I did appreciate the second pink that wasn't just noise.

Ha ha ha, seems like there's a lot of "thin skin" about

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26948 on: May 16, 2022, 09:05:58 am »
Any plans for events in Paris before the final?

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26949 on: May 16, 2022, 09:18:24 am »

What was it in reference too?
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Online .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26950 on: May 16, 2022, 09:34:18 am »
What was it in reference too?

I'm assuming it's a reference to that fact that a few on here said that they didn't really like the elated, drunk, slurry Pinks.

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #26951 on: May 16, 2022, 09:38:22 am »
Any plans for events in Paris before the final?

They are at Belushi's on the Friday, sold out though

Offline Byrnee

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are Magic, Everton are Tragic
« Reply #26952 on: May 16, 2022, 12:06:54 pm »
Listening to the Review (great listen as always) and Sean mentioned something I thought about after the game - Werner's pen - if it does roll in, I think he is correct in that it would count. But Sean seems to intimate that Alli grabbing it in somehow was against the rules, as if once a keeper has dived they can't interfere with the ball again. But that's definitely not correct right? I know the penalty-taker obviously can't interfere but the Keeper can?

If I misinterpreted cool - but it was an interesting point and either way - Sean's larger point about Alli being so focused, making sure there was no question was the point, professional and calculated and making no mistakes. Our team in a nutshell.
'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.'
Bill Shankly

01 06 22 23 47 64 66 73 76 77 79 80 82 83 84 86 88 90 20

77 78 81 84 05 19

At The End Of The Storm I

Offline Byrnee

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are Magic, Everton are Tragic
« Reply #26953 on: May 16, 2022, 12:07:55 pm »
Ha sorry seems this has been discussed, missed it as I just saw all the virgin posts and I thoroughly enjoyed Gibbo's reference, quality.  ;D
'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.'
Bill Shankly

01 06 22 23 47 64 66 73 76 77 79 80 82 83 84 86 88 90 20

77 78 81 84 05 19

At The End Of The Storm I

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26954 on: May 16, 2022, 12:33:01 pm »
Listening to the Review (great listen as always) and Sean mentioned something I thought about after the game - Werner's pen - if it does roll in, I think he is correct in that it would count. But Sean seems to intimate that Alli grabbing it in somehow was against the rules, as if once a keeper has dived they can't interfere with the ball again. But that's definitely not correct right? I know the penalty-taker obviously can't interfere but the Keeper can?

If I misinterpreted cool - but it was an interesting point and either way - Sean's larger point about Alli being so focused, making sure there was no question was the point, professional and calculated and making no mistakes. Our team in a nutshell.
It would have deffo counted, but I'm not aware of anything that stops a keeper completing the save, because that's all it was. In the same way that if Alli pushed a shot against and looked like it was spinning in, he would have been able to stop it.

Obviously happy to be corrected, but it's not as if any Chelsea players or staff thought there was anything untoward either.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26955 on: May 16, 2022, 12:52:18 pm »
In a long line of mad Sean shouts, that's definitely up there. Made even stranger by the fact that nobody else came in on it!

Love the idea that Alisson, having saved the shot, would have to stand there and watch it trickle in  ;D

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26956 on: May 16, 2022, 01:21:21 pm »
I'm assuming it's a reference to that fact that a few on here said that they didn't really like the elated, drunk, slurry Pinks.

Quite poor form if true, slagging off customers for a fair, even handed criticism isnt a good look.\

After Villareal they pointed out that they were doing two types to PINK, to cater to both tastes, this was a great bit of customer service, not only to do two types, but to also acknowledge it.  Then he says this.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #26957 on: May 16, 2022, 02:07:51 pm »
Gibbo got quoted at length on the BBC over the booing non-story:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61467289
Why do Liverpool fans boo the national anthem?
John Gibbons from Liverpool fan podcast The Anfield Wrap said he was "surprised" the booing became front page news.

"It happened at the League Cup final a few months ago and it happened in 2012 [FA Cup final] when we played the same opposition," he told BBC Radio Merseyside.

"What I would say to anyone buying these headlines is maybe look into why Liverpool fans act this way, why they feel a disconnect from the country and disconnect from a royal family sat on gold thrones telling people they are going to have tough times ahead.

"It's something Liverpool fans feel strongly about. It's a city that wants to be vocal about how we think this country should be and how we should live in a fairer society."

Gibbons called on people who criticised the protest to "maybe come up to Liverpool and speak to people and visit the food banks and see how some people in this city are struggling".

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26958 on: May 16, 2022, 02:14:30 pm »
Gibbo got quoted at length on the BBC over the booing non-story:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61467289

Great that nice one Gibbo

Online craiglfc7

• Main Stander
    • My twitter
« Reply #26959 on: May 17, 2022, 10:58:47 am »
Quite poor form if true, slagging off customers for a fair, even handed criticism isnt a good look.\

After Villareal they pointed out that they were doing two types to PINK, to cater to both tastes, this was a great bit of customer service, not only to do two types, but to also acknowledge it.  Then he says this.

It was all tongue in cheek - like you say we listened to the feedback and we did two to cater for both. I wouldn't take anything from the pink too seriously!